Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Javid posted:

A gigantic pickup truck towing a trailer carrying a second gigantic pickup truck. One tire (of duallies) was completely hanging off the edge, and the inner tire appeared flat. The bed of the truck on the trailer contained unsecured scrap metal.

I see poo poo like this all the time down here in Texas on IH-35. Basically you get some guy from Mexico buying up a bunch of old/used equipment to take south of the border to sell. Just because Americans don't want it don't mean it's still not good. You end up with some crazy caravan of 2-3 cars tied to the trailer of the first. It gets really loving wild when they grab industrial equipment/trucks. Last week I saw two crazy industrial contraptions in the same day.

First one was relatively sane: the driver got a matching pair of dump trucks (the really long/big ones even). He was driving the first truck which I could see the arm of an excavator or backhoe peeking up over the edge (not sure which), and had a trailer tied to put the front wheels of the second truck up for easy towing. The tilt of the second truck let me see a minivan tied down in its back.

The second one was absolutely bonkers. Guy somehow got himself a deal on 3 used industrial trucks without anything on the back. Just long-rear end bare chassis beams behind the cab that normally a big box or some sort of equipment would go onto. Basically the trucks moving companies (that aren't UHaul) make their moving trucks out of, only without the cargo compartment. The second and third had their front wheels lifted onto the tail end of the truck ahead of it to get the drive wheels off the road, but since these were long trucks there was more than enough space for each truck to also be carrying a beat up used car on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Alkydere posted:

The second one was absolutely bonkers. Guy somehow got himself a deal on 3 used industrial trucks without anything on the back. Just long-rear end bare chassis beams behind the cab that normally a big box or some sort of equipment would go onto. Basically the trucks moving companies (that aren't UHaul) make their moving trucks out of, only without the cargo compartment. The second and third had their front wheels lifted onto the tail end of the truck ahead of it to get the drive wheels off the road, but since these were long trucks there was more than enough space for each truck to also be carrying a beat up used car on top.

I see this all the time, but as new trucks without the beat-up used cars. Both as a set of straight-bodies as you describe and as a set of semi truck tractors.

It's a very common way to deliver multiple trucks to a dealership with only one driver.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Any idea how they get the 2nd, 3rd, 4th trucks on/off of each other? There has got to be a specialized set of ramps on either end; a fork truck would be too awkward coming in from the side, and I'd think a crane would be overkill

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

NoWake posted:

Any idea how they get the 2nd, 3rd, 4th trucks on/off of each other? There has got to be a specialized set of ramps on either end; a fork truck would be too awkward coming in from the side, and I'd think a crane would be overkill

Get in the back truck, fire it up, stick it in reverse and punch it. Rinse/repeat.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

dee eight posted:

Get in the back truck, fire it up, stick it in reverse and punch it. Rinse/repeat.

While I do like the mental images that statement creates, I don't think it would work in reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snylve3l7c0

As you can see in the video, the only wheels touching anything on the piggybacked trucks are the rear set. You'd be in for quite a bump.

Edit: I'd guess that there are special ramps that can be positioned under each truck in turn so they can be safely driven off. It looks like they'd just fit between the wheels of the rearward truck and the chassis it's riding on.

Edit 2: Nope I'm wrong! They use a pair of tow trucks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ7tw9pc2dE

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 4, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Jesus gently caress..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNRxup0WhMo&t=135s

rear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3GCJHJoB0c

Accident at 2:26. Warning: 1 death

https://abc7.com/amp/1-killed-4-others-injured-in-multi-vehicle-crash-in-temecula/5330149/

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 5, 2019

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo, that arsehole DUI driver just seemed to give no poo poo at all. That's totally destroyed whatever car it hit.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How loving fast was that rear end in a top hat going? Jesus.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PremiumSupport posted:

I see this all the time, but as new trucks without the beat-up used cars. Both as a set of straight-bodies as you describe and as a set of semi truck tractors.

It's a very common way to deliver multiple trucks to a dealership with only one driver.

Oh yeah it was basically the traditional truck delivery setup...but with beaters added.

:stonk:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
In the rear cam you can see him kicking up dust passing someone on the shoulder. everyone else might as well be standing still, what the gently caress

comments say he was running from cops, and had already done so in Nov of 2018

Brolander fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 5, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
God I hate drunk drivers.

Honestly, make the limit just high enough that a false positive doesn't result in a license suspension (I'm thinking like 0.02) and just be loving done with it. Why society decided that some amount of impairment is okay when driving is beyond me. And I'm no teetotaler, that's for sure; I was a daily drinker from around the time I was 20 to the time I was 28. But I've never driven while intoxicated, because that poo poo is dumb and an unacceptable risk to myself and others.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PT6A posted:

God I hate drunk drivers.

Honestly, make the limit just high enough that a false positive doesn't result in a license suspension (I'm thinking like 0.02) and just be loving done with it. Why society decided that some amount of impairment is okay when driving is beyond me. And I'm no teetotaler, that's for sure; I was a daily drinker from around the time I was 20 to the time I was 28. But I've never driven while intoxicated, because that poo poo is dumb and an unacceptable risk to myself and others.

Bar lobby.

No joke. It's the bar lobby that has an interest in keeping it as high as it is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well we need to ban lobbyists too so let's just get that done then!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

iospace posted:

Bar lobby.

No joke. It's the bar lobby that has an interest in keeping it as high as it is.

Odd, usually the pain in the rear end in getting to and from someone’s residence is the reason I go to bars more than house parties. Finding a cab is easy, and they’re usually well-served by transit (generally, taking transit from one residence to another will involve connecting in an area with a ton of restaurants and bars).

But mostly, I know I like to drink, and with that in mind I’ve made compromises that enable me to drink and not drive very easily.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

iospace posted:

Bar lobby.

There's more to it than that. There are important presumption of innocence issues.

It's really difficult to prove impairment beyond a reasonable doubt. I mean, not physically difficult, procedurally difficult. The question is, impaired relative to what? Either you need to establish a baseline "unimpaired" driver, with reaction times of such and such and whatever certain level of capability, in which case even some people who are totally sober are going to test as "impaired" relative to just due to the range of human variability (Like: who's a better driver, Niki Lauda with 3 beers in him or some doddering old crinkly whose turn signal has been on since 1962?), or you need to establish impairment on an individual level. That latter would require establishing an individual's baseline performance and then testing against it. And obviously we don't do either of those things. What we do, and what the Supreme Court said is okay because the state has such a compelling interesting in preventing DUI (I'd think the state has at least an equally compelling interest in preventing murder, but being a murder suspect doesn't allow the state to presume guilt, but I digress...) is presume impairment based on BAC. Pull you over or catch you at a checkpoint, get a blood draw, is it .08 BAC or above? Then we presume you're impaired and don't actually have to prove that in a court, all we have to prove is that your BAC was over the limit.

And .08 BAC is reasonably high, after all. But if you lower that to .02 the presumption that that equals impairment is harder to make. I think it's way less likely for a court to buy it, especially because you're also raising the amount of false positives.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Screw gauging impairment, just make it zero tolerance. You order a drink your rear end is going home in a taxi or with a designated driver.

Now that legal weed is a thing do it for that too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

Screw gauging impairment, just make it zero tolerance. You order a drink your rear end is going home in a taxi or with a designated driver.

Now that legal weed is a thing do it for that too.

My rule is three hours after finishing drinking, for each standard drink I've consumed, which gives ample time for the body to metabolize alcohol completely. It's rarely an issue and I usually just don't drink if I've driven some place.

No amount of impairment is okay, whether you're god's gift to driving or not, and I'm surprised there's any resistance to that coming from the thread that apparently believes you need to stare straight ahead at the road constantly to be a safe driver.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PT6A posted:

No amount of impairment is okay, whether you're god's gift to driving or not,

There are other things that cause impairment than intoxicants.

How are you proposing to measure impairment? And if no amount of it is okay, how are you going to ensure that people who are sick, tired, distracted by screaming kids in the car, worried because they just lost their job, upset because their spouse just told them they want a divorce, thinking about the test they're about to take, really into that song that just came on the radio, or are just plain bad at it, don't drive in that state?

quote:

the thread that apparently believes you need to stare straight ahead at the road constantly to be a safe driver.

Yeah, don't count me among that bunch. I was taught you should be regularly looking around and scanning the environment.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Screw gauging impairment, just make it zero tolerance.

Yeah, no way this is going to get abused.

Especially considering its currently possible to be convicted of DUI even if you blow below the legal limit - and in some particularly egregious "intent to drive" cases - just because you were inebriated and had your car keys in your pocket.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well then I guess we should do nothing at all, case closed.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A policy that criminalized a beer at a restaurant with dinner unless you know your rights well enough to demand a blood test to get back down to 0

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Yeah, if you can't stop literally 100% of a bad thing you shouldn't try at all.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The normalization of alcohol in our society baffles me. It’s no wonder drunk driving is so prevalent when half of TV ad spots are trying to sell you Bud Light or some other bullshit.

I don’t really know a good solution to propose but I can say without hesitation that the guy in the truck should absolutely never drive again. That level of drunk driving is not something you accidentally do.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
1AM is the hour in which no sober driver is allowed on the road. Risk your life driving home drink knowing the only other drivers you'll encounter are also impaired. Good luck.

Or, you know, just call a cab.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

xzzy posted:

People drive drunk because it's way easier than not driving drunk. Increasing penalties, reducing allowable BAC limit, and revoking licenses, and anything short of incarceration won't keep drunk people off the road.

Some real investment in public transportation would help, and you can still do all of the above while making investments! Worst case scenario, you have a functioning bus system that allows the people you've taken licenses away from to travel from work/bar/home. You might even improve the lives of people who can't afford a car or who can't drive.

But taxes SUCK, and it feels way better punishing someone for driving drunk after the fact than preventing it in the first place.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 5, 2019

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I don’t really know a good solution to propose but I can say without hesitation that the guy in the truck should absolutely never drive again. That level of drunk driving is not something you accidentally do.

The guy in that truck should be imprisoned until the day he dies. Or just .22ed in the base of the skull and dumped into a lime pit, I won't quibble.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

um excuse me posted:

1AM is the hour in which no sober driver is allowed on the road. Risk your life driving home drink knowing the only other drivers you'll encounter are also impaired. Good luck.

Why would you want to call a drunk cab driver to take you home though?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

NoWake posted:

Some real investment in public transportation would help, and you can still do all of the above while making investments! Worst case scenario, you have a functioning bus system that allows the people you've taken licenses away from to travel from work/bar/home. You might even improve the lives of people who can't afford a car or who can't drive.

Also make it harder for the police to gently caress with people who are trying to do the right thing.

For instance, what good does it do to throw the book at someone an officer found sleeping in the back seat of their car, where the only "crime" they committed was having access to keys while under the influence (which you'd technically be guilty of if you got hammered at home too)? If you're not A) provably drunk and B) behind the wheel of a vehicle being driven on public roads DUI charges should not apply to you.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 5, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

um excuse me posted:

Rip all the workers in the bars, food service people and 24 hour retail workers to name a few.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You know a lot of drunk people.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've only known 2 people in the service industry who weren't drunks, and one of them was pregnant the whole time I worked there, so she doesn't really count

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

I've only known 2 people in the service industry who weren't drunks, and one of them was pregnant the whole time I worked there, so she doesn't really count

Really? 2? That seems high.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

NoWake posted:

Rotator. They're basically a "tow crane."Mostly used for truck unfuckling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKY_QxCB3A

Sometimes they get called in if somebody did something seriously stupid in a car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm4ObqDZXys

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

I've worked in the service industry over 20 years and it's nowhere near that bad, I don't know where the hell you live but jesus man.

Thank god i don't really like alcohol, I could never drink another drop for the rest of my life and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

...I'm surprised there's any resistance to that coming from the thread that apparently believes you need to stare straight ahead at the road constantly to be a safe driver.

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, don't count me among that bunch. I was taught you should be regularly looking around and scanning the environment.
:lol: you guys are still at this, eh?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Mandatory minimum of "death penalty" for anyone who kills a person in a DUI crash, honestly

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Here in Japan, it's zero tolerance on drink driving. The actual law on paper is a little complicated and technically leaves room for discretion, but in practice, and culturally, it's treated as zero tolerance. The punishments are also severe, even the lowest level drink driving offense will put enough points on your license to get you a 90 day suspension, if you don't get your license taken away outright. Japan also employs a previous offence system on license points that pushes down the boundaries for suspension, so a second offense will almost definitely result in a revocation, and also being banned from taking the driving test for a period of several years.

The punishments don't stop with the legal system though, there's also a very real element of public shaming. Drink driving arrests are usually reported on the local news with full names and ages, and you can reasonably expect to be fired from your job. If you're a public servant, you will be expected to make a full public apology before being fired.

On the other side of this though, Japan does have a fairly good support structure for the drinking population. Surprisingly though, despite Japan's reputation for widespread public transport, it has very little to do with it as most trains and buses stop around midnight. One of the most famous options for the drunk who can't legally get home is the capsule hotel. While in recent years they've moved slightly upmarket in order to take advantage of widespread hotel shortages, they were originally envisioned as a hole in the wall for a drunk man to sleep in until the trains started or he sobered up enough to drive home. They're only really in big cities though, so not much use for the rural drunk. In the rural areas your 2 main commercial options are taxis or 'daiko' chauffeur services. Taxis are a good option (and there's no uber/lyft*) if you don't mind leaving your car as Japan has no shortage of them, and most services will supply cars 24/7. If you absolutely need to get your car home though, you can hire a 'daiko' chauffeur, where a man will drive you in your car to your house with another man following behind in a kei car to take the first man back. They're more expensive than taxis but you do obviously get your car back to your house in case you need it in the morning or whatever.

*While not technically illegal, under Japanese law, in order to drive passengers in exchange for money you need a Class 2 drivers license and have to register your car as a service vehicle, so by that point you may as well just become a taxi driver.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

If you think Japan is strict with that, imagine what they do to drug offenders.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

If you absolutely need to get your car home though, you can hire a 'daiko' chauffeur, where a man will drive you in your car to your house with another man following behind in a kei car to take the first man back. They're more expensive than taxis but you do obviously get your car back to your house in case you need it in the morning or whatever.

This exists in North America too, it's not like drunks don't have options to get home without breaking the law*, they just don't want to. So, gently caress them. Throw the book at them and maybe they'll get their brains unfucked enough that they don't put the rest of us at risk. I got a bit drunk last night (four drinks over a few hours, so I might have actually been below 0.05 by the time I went home, not that it matters to me), then I walked home. This morning I'm going to walk to where I left my car, having planned for this situation, and pick it up. We're not asking pisstanks to climb Everest or anything, just to demonstrate the smallest bit of consideration to other road users.

* Excluding very, very rural areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Dear Lady,
I don't know why you stopped at a green light to try and get me to take a left and cross in front of you. Just go thru the green and I'll make the left turn as soon as you are thru the intersection. Really, it's no big deal for me to wait the 3 seconds.

Thank you,
MrLogan