Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Drawin' some communication devices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

ThreeStep posted:

How's this for skulls?

I may have overdone things with the markers, need to pick a few shades and stick to them.

loving excellent, in the future I expect at least this much skull from any skull-pieces. I don't think you overdid it with the shades, I would've actually added a dark grey instead of the black for the stones. It's good to have a variety, it serves well here to separate the layers of background and create a sense of depth.

Astonishing Wang posted:

We got a new dog and I just love his little face

Congrats on your new dog, I also love his little face. Tell him. Tell him a stranger on the internet loves his little face.

I've actually found my dog to be one of the most difficult things I've ever tried to draw. I can't quite get it right! Dogs are so expressive, but getting a good reference pic .. well:

This is like 90% of the pics I take of her.

bones 4 beginners posted:

I went with the random animal generator today and it gave me Xray Tetra.

This is great! I love how you captured the translucency of the fish, and the brave soft-focus background. I know I would've ruined it by trying to add definition.

lofi posted:

Went to draw a WW1 fort today. But it was paywalled, and I'm skint, so I drew what I could of an old gun emplacement

You should've kicked up a fuss about your artistic rights to reproduce your cultural history and how it's unethical to only let you view your military heritage sites for something as crass as money. Maybe work in a line about your grandparents proudly serving your country only for you to be demanded 7 pounds for parking in the middle of no-loving-wheresville, Historical Ruinston.

At least you showed them by still getting something painted, I love old concrete buildings being reclaimed by nature. Well, ruins of any kind. Slow decay and abandoned places are fascinating and convey a strange sense of loneliness.

The freaking n-gage. I love how even a duck looks like a complete moron using it the correct way.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cleaning this one up for coloring and shading.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

heavy liquid posted:

BTW, envelopes went out Thursday for both Shinmera and Keetron! They said it can take 1-3 weeks, so I guess they'll get there whenever they get there.
Oh, and I ditched my unique Blade Runner character because he ended up looking like Bono, so I just drew someone from the film.

Ugh, I'm really falling behind. I haven't been able to draw anything at all the past few days despite really wanting to. Art block at the worst time. I'm really sorry! Hopefully it'll clear up soon.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Shinmera posted:

Ugh, I'm really falling behind. I haven't been able to draw anything at all the past few days despite really wanting to. Art block at the worst time. I'm really sorry! Hopefully it'll clear up soon.

Haha, no rush! Take as much time as you need, this is just a casual sketch trade.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Wohey, managed to put something together tonight, as practise for the sketch trade:

Androids are cool.

Anyway, hopefully this means I'll be able to do draw something for real tomorrow.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I haven't been drawing every day... (and it really shows)

Also shows that I don't have a working scanner and an old point and shoot camera. :(

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 3, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Sidetalkin'!

Couldn't get into drawing this morning, but managed to do a dragon. I saw the new Godzilla movie on Saturday, and I guess I still have giant monsters on the brain.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 3, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Good day today. Had an idea I wanted to draw, and it didn't turn out bad either! Horrah! Gonna send out a physical copy of it now.

I have some other ideas for android stuff, so I might do some more after I finish Keetron's prompt.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

The freaking n-gage. I love how even a duck looks like a complete moron using it the correct way.

SIDETALKIN' WILL NEVER DIE.

Based off this tweet: https://twitter.com/dumbandawful/status/1135009662208761856

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I need to look at Actual Bees before I can finish this, I don't remember what they look like at all.
Sunless Skies inspired Deviless.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I need to look at Actual Bees before I can finish this, I don't remember what they look like at all.
Sunless Skies inspired Deviless.

i fuckin love the art in sunless skies and i really wanna see this devil lady and her chorister bees

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

I haven't been drawing every day... (and it really shows)

Also shows that I don't have a working scanner and an old point and shoot camera. :(

I like this, you've got a grasp on the skeleton that I'm still trying to get and the photo quality's good; did you do any post-processing? Especially love the figure on the right, everything's got enough detail I can tell what part's what.

Today's WIP; I decided to dust off Photoshop and my Wacom to turn a lunch break sketch into something more finished.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
life drawing

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Getting back into D&D, so after hours filling in character sheets you know I'm gonna draw my dude.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

More in the whiteboard cartoon series.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Some traditional doodles with my favourite pen.

You should definitely go check your local art supplier if they have a Pentel Touch SES15C and try it out. It's the best feeling pen I've ever held in my hands.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

heavy liquid posted:

More in the whiteboard cartoon series.

:hfive:

My cubicle art was vandalized by a coworker with a very fitting addition of the names of our colleagues, and therefore was made way better:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Shinmera posted:

You should definitely go check your local art supplier if they have a Pentel Touch SES15C and try it out. It's the best feeling pen I've ever held in my hands.

I can only find those in a pack of 12 colors, costing me 25 euro's. Thank you for the tip, I put them on my wishlist.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Today I'm feeling conflicted. On one hand, I just got the art trade pieces in the mail, which is making me very happy, and on the other it's a reminder I still haven't finished mine, which is making me rather grumpy.

Anyway, that aside, here's Keetron's:

Which does look really nice and inviting. Wish I was there instead of at home, boiling in my room.

And here's Heavy Liquid's:

I know what I'll be watching tonight!

Thanks a lot! Both of these are really nice! I hope to finish mine soon!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Shinmera posted:

Anyway, that aside, here's Keetron's:

Yay, it arrived without being folded! I was worried about that :|

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Shinmera posted:

And here's Heavy Liquid's:

I know what I'll be watching tonight!

Thanks a lot! Both of these are really nice! I hope to finish mine soon!

Nice! I'm glad mine arrived this quickly. Less that a week, I think?

I was also worried about the drawings being folded, so I drew them in a very small Moleskine pocket sketchbook. They're 3.5"x5.5" or around 8.5x13.5cm. Much smaller than I'm used to drawing. They were actually the first thing I drew in that sketchbook, and I bought it winter 2017.

Trabant posted:

:hfive:

My cubicle art was vandalized by a coworker with a very fitting addition of the names of our colleagues, and therefore was made way better:

A fellow dry eraseboard artist! Nice Garfield and Odie, as well.

I'll say Rutger Hauer is 154 to help me catch up.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The border is weird but that is because I soaked the sheets in the sink for a few minutes before taping them to the board and this is what then happens. Good things: awesome paint flow, no warping at all, trying new things. Bad things: borders look weird. Maybe do it woithout tape next time.
Making the stars is splashing around with a brush with a bit of white gouache on it. Everything on my desk has stars on it now, my keyboard, my pens, my phone and the big screen (I wiped those off) and you'd almost say this is an artist's workshop!

I'll go watch a few video's on sunsets now, done with night skies for a while.

A fun thing I found is keeping all these little pieces in a drawer and then when friends come over and we talk about hobbies I can pull them out and let them pick one. Either people are really delighted or super polite, I'll happily settle for either.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

ThreeStep posted:

I like this, you've got a grasp on the skeleton that I'm still trying to get and the photo quality's good; did you do any post-processing? Especially love the figure on the right, everything's got enough detail I can tell what part's what.

Today's WIP; I decided to dust off Photoshop and my Wacom to turn a lunch break sketch into something more finished.

Hey thanks. Generally I just desaturate and crush levels a bit. It's on toned paper so that accounts for the weird texture.

Update:

To be listened to with Lorn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENNgSMVRmXw
Well - pretty much any Lorn really.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Keetron posted:

The border is weird but that is because I soaked the sheets in the sink for a few minutes before taping them to the board and this is what then happens. Good things: awesome paint flow, no warping at all, trying new things. Bad things: borders look weird. Maybe do it woithout tape next time.
Making the stars is splashing around with a brush with a bit of white gouache on it. Everything on my desk has stars on it now, my keyboard, my pens, my phone and the big screen (I wiped those off) and you'd almost say this is an artist's workshop!

I'll go watch a few video's on sunsets now, done with night skies for a while.

A fun thing I found is keeping all these little pieces in a drawer and then when friends come over and we talk about hobbies I can pull them out and let them pick one. Either people are really delighted or super polite, I'll happily settle for either.

It's been awhile since I've done watercolor, but I that's from the tape not sticking well to wet paper, and I think they make tape for use on wet paper

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not crazy about either of the new legendary dog pokemon shown today but I had to draw the shield dog anyway.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Quick mockup of the direction I was planning on going with it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I’ve challenged myself to make something big for my next show in two months, 18x24” big, and it’s a bit intimidating! So I’m doing some formal thumbnailing for maybe the first time since... a long time

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Animating aint easy

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

dupersaurus posted:

I’ve challenged myself to make something big for my next show in two months, 18x24” big, and it’s a bit intimidating! So I’m doing some formal thumbnailing for maybe the first time since... a long time

My terrible way of coping with Too Big Area is to overcompensate with tiny detail over everything :downs:. I'm a sucker for that repeating pattern, but wouldn't that be a massive pain to carve?
All you'd need to do for the first one is add the words "Momma needs her wine" and it would sell like hot cakes*.

*I have never sold hot cakes, I got no idea how hard they are to sell.

Quick horror sketch because bees are effort.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's a hosed up bee.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm a sucker for that repeating pattern, but wouldn't that be a massive pain to carve?

You say that like that’s ever stopped me before :jeb:

Real talk though, I’m a bit worried that my usual bag of tricks won’t work at this scale, and I feel like I’m wary of the whole headshot trope I base my whole artistic skill and self-worth on love

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
PHTEVEN!!!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Worked on the sketch from yesterday some more

And added to the dry erase board series

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

dupersaurus posted:

Real talk though, I’m a bit worried that my usual bag of tricks won’t work at this scale, and I feel like I’m wary of the whole headshot trope I base my whole artistic skill and self-worth on love

Thinking about it, could you carve the pattern out once and stamp it all over?

Unwanted advice alert, don't try to force stuff you don't feel good about doing, but if you wanna try and mix it up a bit while still holding on to the headshot:

Weird long-shaped canvas is great and my fave and making compositions into one is fun! You still get to keep your portrait, but it's not front & center, so your eyes got more area to move around in and explore. Also if you're working big, a narrow area is easier to fill.

If you're lost on what to do with the space that's not a portrait, consider adding storytelling items, like I've masterfully crafted in a knife and an ice-cream to show you how much of a difference it can make in the feel of the pic when you've got something that speaks about the character that's in it. Doesn't need to be this on-the-nose, you could make the background pattern a wrench or add, I dunno, like a rose to the background to hint at a garden or a giraffe neck to say we're on a safari. Something that speaks of a location.

If you're feeling really adventurous, you could even make a man-portrait.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Thinking about it, could you carve the pattern out once and stamp it all over?

Unwanted advice alert, don't try to force stuff you don't feel good about doing, but if you wanna try and mix it up a bit while still holding on to the headshot:

Weird long-shaped canvas is great and my fave and making compositions into one is fun! You still get to keep your portrait, but it's not front & center, so your eyes got more area to move around in and explore. Also if you're working big, a narrow area is easier to fill.

If you're lost on what to do with the space that's not a portrait, consider adding storytelling items, like I've masterfully crafted in a knife and an ice-cream to show you how much of a difference it can make in the feel of the pic when you've got something that speaks about the character that's in it. Doesn't need to be this on-the-nose, you could make the background pattern a wrench or add, I dunno, like a rose to the background to hint at a garden or a giraffe neck to say we're on a safari. Something that speaks of a location.

:hmmyes:

Top right and bottom left are where I'm heading, tho I hadn't thought about actually narrowing the canvas :thunk:

I may need to make bottom left the Judith piece I've always been wanting to make...

quote:

If you're feeling really adventurous, you could even make a man-portrait.

hey now let's not get crazy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011