Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My best guess for why it took pokemon this long is because of the technical hurdles of having pokemon displayed on the map. It would have required walk cycle sprites for every single encounterable pokemon in the GBA and DS days, and the 3DS wasn't powerful enough for the future-proofed models they made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
lmao, leon and hop are named tarak and nabil in the french version, after the two French rapper brothers of PNL

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We've only heard about a handful of Pokemon and I've already decided I'm going to have a rabbit and a sheep and a raven and a corgi guys there are going to be too many Pokemon I want on my team

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 5, 2019

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Eimi posted:

So after getting to watch the direct
Sword is the superior version and anyone who buys shield is dumb
Also I like the idea of giant enemy kaiju but I really don't like you doing it to your pokemon
I actually liked Z moves thematically and making your pokemon huge doesn't appeal to me, same way mega-evos don't. But oh well not like I have to use it.

Swordmouthwolf is stupid

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

"When Sobble touches water, its body blends into its surroundings", huh. Gives some weight to that leak about its final form being a spy-themed chameleon.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm always amazed at the weird crab bucket bullshit i end up seeing where people complain about something just outright improving on an aspect of itself because they want it to stay the same as it was when they were a kid

also sobble loving owns

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

HellCopter posted:

"When Sobble touches water, its body blends into its surroundings", huh. Gives some weight to that leak about its final form being a spy-themed chameleon.

well, that leak also just 100% lines up with what we've seen so far and we've always known that sobble was a chameleon, so i'd definitely say it's a done deal

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I figure you’re still going to walk back and forth for shiny hunting. Godspeed shiny hunters.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I guess I'm in the minority that wanted a regular Pokemon game, complete with random encounters.

cool, you have seven of them already

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i love the idea that pokemon showing up on the overworld map is such a completely radical departure that the game is no longer a "regular pokemon game"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I can't say I'm a huge fan of how it looked in Let's Go, but I definitely like the overworld pokemon here. I think the fact that it's a mix of both approaches helps a lot.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Baller Ina posted:

Swordmouthwolf is stupid

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
In Pokemon Gold Version and Sliver Version, Pokemon have many new ways to evolve such as their affection towards their trainer and whether it's day or night!

uhhhh wow guess im in the minority of people who wanted a regular pokemon game where they only evolove from levels and rocks?????

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Pokemon properly roaming around a little World is nicer than Let's Go and its pokemon walking on a tiny grid.

Nodosaur posted:

This debate is meaningless because SwSh has both types of encounters.

However! The random tall grass encounters are also different, you now need to approach an exclamation point if you want the random encounter, so you're not getting into tall grass and automatically into battle after a few steps.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
The footage showed Steelix levitating above the ground, game is complete trash.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

having real trouble imagining anything harder to care about than whether or not a jrpg has random encounters or 'run into an enemy' encounters

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Let's Go had a ton of issues with clipping and scale since they were shoving all the pokemon into the faithfully tiny GB maps.

My hope is that we don't have a bunch of areas like Rock Tunnel or Victory Road in SwSh because trying to dodge Pokemon in them loving sucked and was worse than random encounters.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone else notice the little piano refrain that sounded very similar to Breath of the Wild when showing off the open world part?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Oh gosh raven Pokemon, dandelion Pokemon, sheep Pokemon aaaaaaaaah I'm so happy

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone else notice the little piano refrain that sounded very similar to Breath of the Wild when showing off the open world part?

I can't wait for the horniest Pokemon game yet

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Lord of Hats posted:

I can't say I'm a huge fan of how it looked in Let's Go, but I definitely like the overworld pokemon here. I think the fact that it's a mix of both approaches helps a lot.

The problem is that Kanto's map which has been faithfully recreated for Let's Go wasn't designed for overworld Pokemon. Which Sword and Shield is better about since it's brand new map.

In the end it all comes down to level design.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Pokemon properly roaming around a little World is nicer than Let's Go and its pokemon walking on a tiny grid.

However! The random tall grass encounters are also different, you now need to approach an exclamation point if you want the random encounter, so you're not getting into tall grass and automatically into battle after a few steps.

I don't want to lose the suspense of knowing whether or not I'm going to be attacked, and also whether an encounter is going to be a Zubat or the rare thing I'm actually after.

I know the ! Encounters are still random, but I'll be triggering it by choice.

What's the point if you already know what's going to happen before it does?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Beachcomber posted:

I don't want to lose the suspense of knowing whether or not I'm going to be attacked, and also whether an encounter is going to be a Zubat or the rare thing I'm actually after.

You can seek what you want and try to run from what you don't want. It makes for fun while on the overworld.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

If you want to play the game like that then just hit every ! that pops up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Electric Phantasm posted:

The problem is that Kanto's map which has been faithfully recreated for Let's Go wasn't designed for overworld Pokemon. Which Sword and Shield is better about since it's brand new map.

In the end it all comes down to level design.

yea Kanto was made for, ya know, grass being the magic battle portal it's been since gen 1, they weren't designing a map around 'we're gonna have pokemon wandering around'. This time they are and it seems to look a lot better.

Beachcomber posted:

A) you don't know what's in the !

B) you don't 'know what's going to happen' either way

C) the 'suspense' of knowing that walking through a field of grass could result in the same pokemon jumping up at you every other step, for many players, turned to annoyance once they caught the pokemon they wanted and/or didn't need to grind.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beachcomber posted:

So there's no point leveling your pokemon or evolving them because you know what's going to happen? :v: That's way too reductive. Tons of things are worth doing even if you know the outcome. Maybe its fun.

Beachcomber posted:

Its more "you have the option to avoid random encounters" than intentionally triggering them.

If the ability to not do a thing makes you feel like you can't do the thing because you know its not 100% optimal or whatever, stop min/maxing and learn to just have fun.

I mean, even with RNG you can say that running back and forth in the grass is "triggering encounters by choice"

It really isn't as big a change as you're making it out to be.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/freezypopnc/status/1136324734151471108?s=21

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wooloo and Mareep are good dogs

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

die!!!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Don't foist upon me your titles of "nobility", you leeches

(Playing X)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ixjuvin posted:

:clears throat elaborately and at great length:

wooloo

https://twitter.com/faunbutt/status/1136336872408588289

I think there's more fanart of Wooloo than Repede the Swordwolf and Sonia

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Will there be a farm with just Wooloo and Moomoo rolling around?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Its more "you have the option to avoid random encounters" than intentionally triggering them.

The problem for me is that RPGs are (ideally) balanced around gaining experience from making forward progress, so giving people the option to skip random encounters is actually just giving people the option (worse, the default option) of making a bad decision which will negatively impact their experience later on, either because they run into a challenge they can't overcome or because they have to stop and do artificial grinding to catch back up. Pokemon half-solves the problem by making trainers a far better source of experience and relegating random encounters to a mechanism for finding new party members, so you can tune the experience by designing with the assumption the player fights every trainer rather than trying to eyeball the amount of natural grinding they'll do, but it leads to the frustrating Zubat experience when you don't design caves the same way you design outdoor routes with a place to walk which doesn't trigger random encounters.

In short, giving caves a form of wild grass you can opt not to walk into would entirely solve the problems people actually have with random encounters while retaining the mystery of what they'll encounter next.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

My general reactions is that I like all the normal new Pokemon more or less, the new Grass types are kind of weak which is continuing a trend Grookey set though. The world looks pretty cool and the wild area being this place you can go to every day and find new stuff will likely give the game more life than its predecessors.

As for Dynamaxing, I don't want to make any judgment call on it since we really don't know how it will affect battle beyond being So drat Big. I'm sure more details will come later. The concept is freaky and kind of hilarious though, and I'm not sure why now was the time to throw it in.

The human characters didn't stand out too much, but the rival being the little bro of the current champion is an interesting wrinkle. I can't tell much about his personality yet, not without real dialogue which was curiously absent from the entire trailer.

As for the legendaries... I kind of get a lot of the complaints that people toss out. But at the same time I feel like legendaries are often not given much thought or praise in general, so it seems par for the course. Swordmouth is endearing enough to lean me towards Sword though.

Please post more Wooloo and Corviknight fanart.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 5, 2019

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Crosscontaminant posted:

The problem for me is that RPGs are (ideally) balanced around gaining experience from making forward progress, so giving people the option to skip random encounters is actually just giving people the option (worse, the default option) of making a bad decision which will negatively impact their experience later on, either because they run into a challenge they can't overcome or because they have to stop and do artificial grinding to catch back up. Pokemon half-solves the problem by making trainers a far better source of experience and relegating random encounters to a mechanism for finding new party members, so you can tune the experience by designing with the assumption the player fights every trainer rather than trying to eyeball the amount of natural grinding they'll do, but it leads to the frustrating Zubat experience when you don't design caves the same way you design outdoor routes with a place to walk which doesn't trigger random encounters.

In short, giving caves a form of wild grass you can opt not to walk into would entirely solve the problems people actually have with random encounters while retaining the mystery of what they'll encounter next.

That's functionally what they did though. Caves were the worst offender by far, but any area that required you to walk through tall grass had the same problem.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Crosscontaminant posted:

Making a game harder because I'm somewhat underleveled when I want to be is a feature not a bug imo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If the leak is right that certain Pokemon will Gigamax instead of Dynamax, where they change their look as well as grow and it's basically a time-limited mega evolution, that fixes a lot of the complaints - you get your special stuff and cooler effects of mega evolution for the star Pokemon and the regular ones still get to grow huge and aren't totally left out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hate Sword and Shield wolfs' names. Also their body color schemes should be reversed rather than blue dog and bluer dog.

I hope Wooloo has at least one evolution that's a ram (Ramam?). Also a baby version of Wooloo would be potentially extremely adorable

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
w--l--

https://twitter.com/yourfavisbald2/status/1136346688866738176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
can Wooloo be my starter instead?