Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Still a good friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Shneak posted:

can Wooloo be my starter instead?

Yes.

I haven't used a starter in my teams since the Dragon Gym when Gold/Silver first came out. Ditched Feraligator and never looked back.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Okay I looked at the leaked list that's been partially confirmed now and I saw the words electric corgi pokemon and I'm loving sold day one

If they keep the name Pamper I'm going to lose my miiiind.....I"M SO HAPPY

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flopsy posted:

If they keep the name Pamper I'm going to lose my miiiind.....I"M SO HAPPY

There better be a battle with the queen of galar and her full team of pampers

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

MikeJF posted:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Guillotine_(move)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I was really hoping for regional variant Corgeevees, but since no regionals, I hope there are more than just one new corgi themed pokemon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The regional evolutions mentioned in that leak def have some potential I'll say that much. I so want Farfetched to get the evo it deserves.

MikeJF posted:

This is an imperative. Also I'm getting weird vibes Leon is going to have something to do with the evil team I dunno why.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You know how we know that leak is real?

I mean, besides half of it being stuff that we saw on today's direct

Because all the cool new forms are only given to Gen 1 pokemon.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
sobble honestly sucks

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flopsy posted:

Also I'm getting weird vibes Leon is going to have something to do with the evil team I dunno why.

It's the facial hair. I mean, look at it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anyone have a link to the leak people have been mentioning?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/463209182/

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sobble is the best new monster so far but the sheep is extremely good too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's extremely Millennial

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

indigi posted:

sobble honestly sucks

Reported

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just walking around the Wild Areas and seeing all the pokemon milling around with a free camera will be so cool.

Also, do not besmirch Sobble, the sad lad who makes life worth living.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Flopsy posted:

The regional evolutions mentioned in that leak def have some potential I'll say that much. I so want Farfetched to get the evo it deserves.

This is an imperative. Also I'm getting weird vibes Leon is going to have something to do with the evil team I dunno why.

It's because they are one of his sponsors.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The sword dog is not a a dog who is a sword. It is a dog that has picked up a sword

The implication is that any dog could become a legendary pokemon if you put a sword in its mouth

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

loving imagine not thinking that Sobble isn't the Best Boy.

MikeJF posted:

If the leak is right that certain Pokemon will Gigamax instead of Dynamax, where they change their look as well as grow and it's basically a time-limited mega evolution, that fixes a lot of the complaints - you get your special stuff and cooler effects of mega evolution for the star Pokemon and the regular ones still get to grow huge and aren't totally left out.
Dynamax -> Gigamax -> Baymax

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

MikeJF posted:

If you win you're abducted by MI6 and she's still the official winner.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

indigi posted:

sobble honestly sucks

wtfdyjs

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Funky Valentine posted:

loving imagine not thinking that Sobble isn't the Best Boy.

Not hard to imagine being correct :colbert:

Grooky is the true unsung hero of these starters

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

cheetah7071 posted:

The sword dog is not a a dog who is a sword. It is a dog that has picked up a sword

The implication is that any dog could become a legendary pokemon if you put a sword in its mouth

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for making a Pokémon a Legendary!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not convinced that the sword doesn't stay in his mouth even when it's open.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I sense an incoming Border Collie Pokemon; Stoutland's rival.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The sword is actually an overgrown fang

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

do you think they made the sword dog or the shield dog first

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The sword is actually it's tongue.

YaketySass posted:

If you win you're abducted by MI6 and she's still the official winner.
*as you hold Elizabeth by her ankle above a long long drop*

"For Galar, new Champion?"

"No. For me." *drops*

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
https://twitter.com/johyoo622/status/1136303765668020224

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

gen 8 early entries strong on the even gens having the best designs rule

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Someone finally did a proper edit:

https://twitter.com/butteryicarus/status/1136346754633232385

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

yes. I will transform my own dog into a legendary pokemon

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Sword & Shield bringing in Let's Go overworld encounters makes me so goddamn hype. Wild Areas with Go-style raids and special weather spawns is super dang cool. I'm really excited!!!!

Wooloo is an adorable rolly sheep friend too. :3:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 5, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crosscontaminant posted:

The problem for me is that RPGs are (ideally) balanced around gaining experience from making forward progress, so giving people the option to skip random encounters is actually just giving people the option (worse, the default option) of making a bad decision which will negatively impact their experience later on, either because they run into a challenge they can't overcome or because they have to stop and do artificial grinding to catch back up. Pokemon half-solves the problem by making trainers a far better source of experience and relegating random encounters to a mechanism for finding new party members, so you can tune the experience by designing with the assumption the player fights every trainer rather than trying to eyeball the amount of natural grinding they'll do, but it leads to the frustrating Zubat experience when you don't design caves the same way you design outdoor routes with a place to walk which doesn't trigger random encounters.

In short, giving caves a form of wild grass you can opt not to walk into would entirely solve the problems people actually have with random encounters while retaining the mystery of what they'll encounter next.

Disagree. There's also the problem of "okay I'm done battling I just wanna go back to town now" but having to trip over 10 rattattas on the way. Random encounters are a lazy crutch of game design, better more detailed mechanics can provide the same surprise but also allow more player agency. Rolling dice provides the illusion of depth but it isn't depth. It provides surprise sometimes but it also creates tedium.

Giving caves a wild grass isn't the only problem. Giving caves a wild grass and having a button that lets you opt-out of encounters would be more what we'd need and that's basically exactly what they've done.

From the looks of it, the ! popping up is itself random, and appears in grass, and you don't know what monster it is until you engage it. So its still a random encounter if that's what you want!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oddium posted:

do you think they made the sword dog or the shield dog first

the shield dog cause it's super obvious they didn't know how to incorporate the sword into the design properly and left it until the last minute BUT it's still my favorite of the two

are there rotom phone cases on redbubble yet

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

indigi posted:

the shield dog cause it's super obvious they didn't know how to incorporate the sword into the design properly and left it until the last minute BUT it's still my favorite of the two

are there rotom phone cases on redbubble yet

Counterpoint: Shield dog looks extremely dumb

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pylons posted:

Counterpoint: Shield dog looks extremely dumb

it does but it makes sense at least

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funky Valentine posted:

Dynamax -> Gigamax -> Baymax

-> Betamax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012