Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

all the companies moved from a progress bar to a spinning circle exactly because it is more obfuscatory and looks like its still working even when its stuck and because everyone got mad when the progress bar sat at 99% for a while

i wish spinning circles were the end of it. the trend now is to just put up placeholders that look vaguely like actual content while the content loads, because everything is a web app and every single widget in an application needs to load data from some http address

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anidav posted:

Remember when Microsoft replaced the blue screen of death with an emoji in Windows 10 so you couldn't tell what happened because there's no longer an error code, just a :(

My iPod photo back in 2006 or 7 had a frowny face on it.

The frowny face meant "massive internal damage and this ipod is destroyed beyond fixing" thank you Best Buy Geeksquad for charging me $25 to tell me that because the protection plan didn't cover accidental damage.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
the TV show Get Shorty had a pretty lengthy commercial for Juicero in it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
People I work with have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask 'just give me the lat and long, you can get it from Google maps'. Even after I explain how to do it there's just blank looks like I'm explaining how to read chicken entrails or something. These are supposed to be technicians with technical skills who can supposedly use a gps.

Just give me the loving coordinates and I'll figure it out Jesus Christ what the gently caress is wrong with these people.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

They were right, and tablets as a market are rapidly shrinking.

They're still selling like 150 million of them every year, but sure you can claim that tablets never caught on. I actually don't think declining sales have anything to do with tablets specifically, PC sales have been down every year for the last few too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Anidav posted:

Remember when Microsoft replaced the blue screen of death with an emoji in Windows 10 so you couldn't tell what happened because there's no longer an error code, just a :(

here is a guide for in case you need to know.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/mikeyface/status/1135922373687881728

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vL4I0CNGUs

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 13:31 on Jun 5, 2019

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
star was land is so disturbing

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

choose your side, axis or allies!

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Maybe things were different back in the 70's and 80's but every hardcore star wars fan I have ever met in real life has been an obvious psychopath with severe mental health problems.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

lancemantis posted:

if you're at disneyland you already chose axis

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Choose Resistance: plan your next mission.

Choose First Order: shop for gear

lol?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

hmmm tough call but i'm gonna go with the guys in all rapper-car white they look like they've got their poo poo a lot more together than the crustpunk village

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Maybe things were different back in the 70's and 80's but every hardcore star wars fan I have ever met in real life has been an obvious psychopath with severe mental health problems.

This is just hardcore Literally Anything anything fans

It really has nothing to do with Star Wars

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Chomp8645 posted:

Choose Resistance: plan your next mission.

Choose First Order: shop for gear

lol?

don't worry, either choice involves purchasing t-shirts and stuffed porgs and poo poo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's insane just how loving lazy and non-interactive the whole thing is. It's a loving oversized giftshop where you can build a lightsaber for $200. That's the price. No joke.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

It's insane just how loving lazy and non-interactive the whole thing is. It's a loving oversized giftshop where you can build a lightsaber for $200. That's the price. No joke.

You can design and build a high-end one for $200 or get pre-assembled ones as cheap as $15

The in-park app lets you scan all sorts of boxes and things around the area and learn about the story of the place

How you do on the Falcon ride affects how the "locals" will interact with you

There are also another ride and a fully immersive space hotel with full goddamn LARP interactions if you so desire that will be opening later on.

The "planet" the setting is in is going to be name dropped and shown in the TV shows and future movies, making fans feel like part of the expanded universe.

Once it's done, it's going to be the most interactive theme park experience ever

Disney parks are definitely a bougie luxury expense, but just getting to stand next to a full-size Falcon is a pretty cool experience

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop posted:

You can design and build a high-end one for $200 or get pre-assembled ones as cheap as $15

You screw in plastic bits together for $200.

quote:

The in-park app lets you scan all sorts of boxes and things around the area and learn about the story of the place

lmao

quote:

There are also another ride and a fully immersive space hotel with full goddamn LARP interactions if you so desire that will be opening later on.

That's not an actual ride it's a video game. There's no actual rides. There's also no LARP-ing because nobody over the age of 14 is allowed to dress like a Star Wars character at all. You're also not allowed to refer to kids as "younglings" because, well, Thanks Anakin.

quote:

The "planet" the setting is in is going to be name dropped and shown in the TV shows and future movies, making fans feel like part of the expanded universe.

loving *barf* dude. It's all sequel trilogy poo poo. No Vader, the Falcon is full of Porg nests. Making it official sequel trilogy "canon" is a detriment, not a selling point.

quote:

Once it's done, it's going to be the most interactive theme park experience ever

Bullshit. It's a meat market where they shove you from "experience" to "experience" to buy even more cheap plastic trash to litter your Youtube talkshow set with.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

The Bloop posted:

This is just hardcore Literally Anything anything fans

It really has nothing to do with Star Wars

I get what you're saying but it seems like Star Wars fans in particular are really bad about this. Maybe that's because the franchise has been around for decades and is popular though :shrug:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I get what you're saying but it seems like Star Wars fans in particular are really bad about this. Maybe that's because the franchise has been around for decades and is popular though :shrug:

I remember someone once pointing out to me how very binary the setting really is. That is, everyone's either good or evil, with no real in-between.

With this kind of simplistic idea, it's no wonder a lot of people that don't take effort to think of something too deeply to identify shades-of-grey in life would attach themselves to it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Good vs evil, in MY fantasy narrative??

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mojo1701a posted:

I remember someone once pointing out to me how very binary the setting really is. That is, everyone's either good or evil, with no real in-between.

With this kind of simplistic idea, it's no wonder a lot of people that don't take effort to think of something too deeply to identify shades-of-grey in life would attach themselves to it.

What do you mean there is no nuance in the masterpiece that is Swar Tars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llLKar19XhA

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

lmfao norks memes own

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

is that not from a videogame microtransaction page? what is it then?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

*taken from my iPhone :smug:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is that the 1000 dollar stand?

Frog Act posted:

is that not from a videogame microtransaction page? what is it then?

theyre talking about star wars world at disneyland

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Only $999

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

is that the 1000 dollar stand?

star wars world at disneyland

oh lol. anyone who goes to disneyland is scum already so whatever

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
"wow, less than a thousand dollars!"

I can't believe that trick still works.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

this photo definitely demarcates the moment Apple's downfall began, even if it's not reflected in the stock price anytime soon

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

got any sevens posted:

lmfao norks memes own

This is considered a slur fyi

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Modest Mao posted:

this photo definitely demarcates the moment Apple's downfall began, even if it's not reflected in the stock price anytime soon

It's even worse than what The Onion made up
https://www.theonion.com/new-apple-ceo-tim-cook-im-thinking-printers-1819572893

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Cowpocalypse posted:

"wow, less than a thousand dollars!"

I can't believe that trick still works.

It works even when you know about it unless you actively think about it. Our brains instinctively deal with and group numbers in a certain way, so you have to keep consciously reminding yourself because $999 feels much different than $1000 even if rationally you know it isn't.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Said by a fucker who obviously never went to the bizarre confusing wonderful nonsense that was Disney Quest :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Enfys posted:

It works even when you know about it unless you actively think about it. Our brains instinctively deal with and group numbers in a certain way, so you have to keep consciously reminding yourself because $999 feels much different than $1000 even if rationally you know it isn't.

Also the reason like every goddamn restaurant shows their price as "9" instead of "9.00" is because people subconsciously rank 9 as less than 9.00

Also also 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 3/3 = 1 is obvious but 0.33333... + 0.33333... + 0.33333... = 0.99999... = 1 is so crazy that people will get downright angry about it

Humans have a lot of dumb blind spots when it comes to numbers is what I'm getting at.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Actually that reminds me, I made a browser plugin years ago that finds any price-like number on the page that's got a bunch of trailing nines and rounds it up (and puts a little red box around it so you know it changed it) and it certainly seemed like it helped me not be as stupid with money, I should see if I still have that laying around somewhere...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

"They just put the price like that to trick you" Julie posts to her Mommy-blog as the apple store boxes up 12k worth of equipment to post pictures and play solitaire.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop posted:

How you do on the Falcon ride affects how the "locals" will interact with you

Disney parks are definitely a bougie luxury expense, but just getting to stand next to a full-size Falcon is a pretty cool experience

This 100% sounds like the worst poo poo ever gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP