Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gishin posted:

Y'shtolla seems pretty ace.

Too busy owning thirsty nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm a career tank and I prefer not to be a petty rear end in a top hat who lets people die for a minor slight, but you do you I guess.

If a DPS doesn't like my pace and decides to pull for me, I assume they want to tank for me too.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I became a tank because I hated tanks who don’t pull fast enough. I don’t mind at all when DPS or healers pull because I can grab the mobs off them super quick and speed is what I’m here for.

Edit:

Gishin posted:

If a DPS doesn't like my pace and decides to pull for me, I assume they want to tank for me too.

Maybe you should pull faster, grandpa.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

Leal posted:

Too busy owning thirsty nerds.

She ain't got time for little suns.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

:hmmyes:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

As a ninja letting unannounced DPS pullers die is well and good because they have a magical ability to pull right when I'm about to hide for suiton.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

When a dps pulls ahead of you it just means they’re eager to help so you can get sick mega pulls while also being able to spam aoe in place. You ingrates. :colbert:

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I became a tank because I hated tanks who don’t pull fast enough. I don’t mind at all when DPS or healers pull because I can grab the mobs off them super quick and speed is what I’m here for.

Edit:

I'll pull you fast, nerd.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Fister Roboto posted:

Serious tanking etiquette protip: if you're tanking and someone pulls before you, don't pull the stupid "HEH, I'm gonna teach you a lesson and let you die" poo poo. Literally all you have to do is press a single button to rectify the situation. I guess you also have to swallow your pride, which seems to be something most tanks are incapable of.

First times free. Second time is your rear end.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Hyper Inferno posted:

Clemency is useful if you are progging O12S and you are short stack tank during Hello World. It lets you heal yourself and/or the DPS taking short+long stack in between the shared->single explosion which relieves a lot of stress from the healers who are usually positioned fairly far away dealing with healing defam at the moment.

There's kind of a zen for savage healing where, after a certain point, you've learned the timings on exactly when damage is coming out. Hello World has a few points where heals need to be thrown out on single targets, but there's two healers for the fight. Healers have plenty of time to do all the healing they need to do so long as they know when the damage is actually happening and in what order they need to heal people (and who heals whom). You've got something like 10 healing GCDs that need to go out, evenly split between the two healers - that's only 5 GCDs each. There's around 40 seconds between the start of Hello World and when Ion Efflux lands - plenty of time for the healers to stand where they need to and throw out heals and still fit damage in.

Could a PLD find a spot to throw Clemency in (or a RDM use Vercure) and "save" a healer GCD? Sure. However, ideally the healers should be doing the healing themselves because the PLD (and especially the RDM) do more damage with their GCDs. There's plenty of time to get all the necessary healing done and then some.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

Now that this a tank discussion, I noticed while I was levelling my RDM that a stupid amount of tanks in the lower dungeons are using provoke on cooldown thinking it generates threat. Had one last night in a 65 dungeon doing it. I corrected him and he said he thought he was supposed to.

Who is spreading this bad information, and can we find and kill him?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gishin posted:

Now that this a tank discussion, I noticed while I was levelling my RDM that a stupid amount of tanks in the lower dungeons are using provoke on cooldown thinking it generates threat. Had one last night in a 65 dungeon doing it. I corrected him and he said he thought he was supposed to.

Who is spreading this bad information, and can we find and kill him?

I blame WoW refugees. So do the WoW refugees I play with.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Provoke just says jt takes you to the top of aggro, it doesn't say it only gives you 1 arbitrary aggro point.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

Provoke just says jt takes you to the top of aggro, it doesn't say it only gives you 1 arbitrary aggro point.

This tank last night had this as an opener: Provoke-> Shield Lob -> Circle of Scorn (no flash was ever used). It was so atrociously grating I had to stop after the pull and have a little chat with him about how wrong that was.

I was polite about it and he was receptive, so that's good I guess.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was in a Crystal Tower raid the other day with a bard whose mission was apparently to sprint/peloton ahead of everyone else in order to pull the next trash/boss before even a single other person was there (they left every ongoing fight early to be first at the stairs). They would then dump all their GCDs/cooldowns and run wide circles until the tanks picked up the mobs.

So after a while we just stopped picking up the mobs until the bard died. No one raised them and the raid response was "lol".

I'm all for pulling fast, but if you want to be an rear end about it, you can get hosed.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

orcane posted:

I was in a Crystal Tower raid the other day with a bard whose mission was apparently to sprint/peloton ahead of everyone else in order to pull the next trash/boss before even a single other person was there (they left every ongoing fight early to be first at the stairs). They would then dump all their GCDs/cooldowns and run wide circles until the tanks picked up the mobs.

So after a while we just stopped picking up the mobs until the bard died. No one raised them and the raid response was "lol".

I'm all for pulling fast, but if you want to be an rear end about it, you can get hosed.

I thought this was about me until you mentioned kiting everything around.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

orcane posted:

:hfive:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I will never not.drop out of a dungeon with a dude 10+ lvls below the dungeon level req and nothing will stop me. Still have nightmares about a dude in lvl 50 job armor in Aethro.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Fister Roboto posted:

Serious tanking etiquette protip: if you're tanking and someone pulls before you, don't pull the stupid "HEH, I'm gonna teach you a lesson and let you die" poo poo. Literally all you have to do is press a single button to rectify the situation. I guess you also have to swallow your pride, which seems to be something most tanks are incapable of.

I have no issue if I'm the main tank or the off-tank. literally, just like... if I'm new to the duty tell me what to do. Don't get mad when I say I'm new, I let you take lead or I take lead and you don't tell me what it is I need to be looking out for despite asking for advice.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm almost done with 2.4.

I'm killing a little time with the A Relic Reborn weapon quest. I'm at the part where I need to beat Titan (hard) to continue. After that I think I'm pretty much done with the first quest.

Is there any reason to keep doing the further upgrade quests? The ones with all the weird FATE grinds etc.?

Was there even a point of doing this initial quest??

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm a career tank and I prefer not to be a petty rear end in a top hat who lets people die for a minor slight, but you do you I guess. Besides, it's a dps loss to let them die.

Of course it's also rarely an issue when I tank because I just make sure nobody pulls before me.

I always took it as an invitation to start pulling faster, myself.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Olesh posted:

Could a PLD find a spot to throw Clemency in (or a RDM use Vercure) and "save" a healer GCD? Sure. However, ideally the healers should be doing the healing themselves because the PLD (and especially the RDM) do more damage with their GCDs. There's plenty of time to get all the necessary healing done and then some.

Yeah, it's not something to be actually baked into the strategy overall, but it's an extremely useful button to just see more of the fight during progression. Clemency and Vercure for healing should never be relied on, but there's situations where using them is very beneficial for progression. Even if the group is going to fail the DPS check because too many GCDs were spent on keeping the group alive, everyone will be learning how to deal with future mechanics for the clear run later.

My personal progression story is that while my group was still learning Hello World, I would occasionally tank LB 1/2 to get us through the Ion Efflux at the end because the healers couldn't top us off for whatever reason.

There's definitely moments where Clemency, Vercure, whatever random utility (5x Inner Beast under Inner Release) are just prolonging the inevitable wipe and it would be faster to just die and restart (Mist Dragon is a good example of this) but there's also situations where it can prolong a difficult fight to gain valuable prog experience and the very rare situation where it actually saves a run.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

khysanth posted:

I'm almost done with 2.4.

I'm killing a little time with the A Relic Reborn weapon quest. I'm at the part where I need to beat Titan (hard) to continue. After that I think I'm pretty much done with the first quest.

Is there any reason to keep doing the further upgrade quests? The ones with all the weird FATE grinds etc.?

Was there even a point of doing this initial quest??

The last time there was a functional point in doing the ARR relic quest was patch 2.5.

It's entirely glamour at this stage, and there are easier, better weapons to get that that level.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The duty of a tank if people die is to try to solo the fight as long as possible while they watch on very very sadly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gorelab posted:

The duty of a tank if people die is to try to solo the fight as long as possible while they watch on very very sadly.

The spectate of shame.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
When I’m tanking, my speed is determined by the healer. I generally just say “I’m going to pull big, and fast, if it’s too much, just let me know and I’ll dial it down.”

I start at 11 and then reduce as needed to match the healer’s gear and skill.

And if we are doing a 4man dungeon and are are at the boss, I’m running in as soon as everyone has made it there. It drives me crazy when we get to the boss, the tank pauses for 30 seconds and then starts a 15 second countdown. This is a dungeon. Not progression raiding.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
You know you can just ask people to stop pulling for you, right? You dont have to murder them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I know this thread likes to joke and jab at Honest Healers, but I will take an Honest Healer over an Honest Tank ten times out of ten.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

orcane posted:

this has been every arr alliance run for me lately and I am assuming it is people going for max event moogle tomestones per hour or whatever

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

What's a suggested reshade profile that's a mild color correction? The popular ones I see look like pretty heavy stuff for screenshots.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

You know you can just ask people to stop pulling for you, right? You dont have to murder them.

Not... murder...?

Also I'll be damned if I don't max pull every single dungeon.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly the worst bit of people pulling for me I can remember is when I was leveling PLD through SB as my first dude through and like DPS and healers would like double or triple pull in Bardham's and be shocked when I didn't have the gear to take that. Then I healed Bardham's and realized 'Oh. It's not just me.'

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

And if we are doing a 4man dungeon and are are at the boss, I’m running in as soon as everyone has made it there. It drives me crazy when we get to the boss, the tank pauses for 30 seconds and then starts a 15 second countdown. This is a dungeon. Not progression raiding.

I honestly prefer the countdown, it's better than playing the guessing game as the tank slowly inches forward. ESPECIALLY when you're a monk. When you're a monk, tanks always pull right when your coeurl form expires.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can cancel other people's timers. It's especially useful in Alliance Raid when someone sets like a 40 second timer for a 25 second fight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On a related note, playing as ninja is great because you can just force the tank to tank. Makes me wish every dps had shadewalker.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

FuzzySlippers posted:

What's a suggested reshade profile that's a mild color correction? The popular ones I see look like pretty heavy stuff for screenshots.

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/6432/
I use this one.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

You can cancel other people's timers. It's especially useful in Alliance Raid when someone sets like a 40 second timer for a 25 second fight.

If someone does a countdown for trash I just run in and pull. Especially now that you can get teleported to the arena after the gate closes.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Leveling WHM last night while farming irregulars made me die a little inside. Dude you’re in full Brayflox DPS gear with your starter DRK sword maybe go to a vendor or something before tanking SV thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If the DPS or healer is able to pull before the tank, then the tank is poo poo at its job.