Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I liked Quartermaster General well enough, but drat if it isn't swingy if you don't know deck capabilities. I played with Airplanes and would say it's a necessary expansion. Otherwise your lynchpin country can get F'd so fast there is no recourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Merauder posted:

Arcane Wonders announced today that they're handling the US distribution of Smartphone Inc.

Anyone play this already / have opinions on it? I've heard mostly good things, but always curious to hear the Good perspective.

God I hope they change that cover art. I put it on my demo list for Origins, so I can hopefully report back.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I prefer WW2 because it goes to 6 but considering Air Marshal is rare I would say go with 1914 or wait for Ares' second edition.

Have everyone read through their deck before playing Quartermaster General. It doesn't take long, the entire game is card driven, and you absolutely want to know what you're capable of drawing instead of going in blind.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tash-Kalar for $22

https://www.amazon.com/Czech-Games-...N5JEC2NMFS3X12K

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Geez. When a game like Seafall gets down to $20 I start thinking "maybe this is worth it just for the components." If that fucker is full of cubes and disks and stuff it might be worth it to buy it and just glue an 18xx PNP over the board.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Merauder posted:

Arcane Wonders announced today that they're handling the US distribution of Smartphone Inc.

Anyone play this already / have opinions on it? I've heard mostly good things, but always curious to hear the Good perspective.

I vaguely recall heavy cardboard saying it was good but didn’t have many strategies to win. None of them were excited to play it again.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

CommonShore posted:

Geez. When a game like Seafall gets down to $20 I start thinking "maybe this is worth it just for the components." If that fucker is full of cubes and disks and stuff it might be worth it to buy it and just glue an 18xx PNP over the board.

Yeah, like Palenque was a few bucks for a ton of wood. I didn't get a copy then, I know a few people here did though.

I just placed a CSI order and got a $60 game for $2.99. https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/186482 Time 'N' Space

Probably awful, and the components don't look too reusable either, aside from some minute long hourglasses maybe.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

silvergoose posted:

So I played Underwater Cities for the first time, and I had a blast. 3 player, teacher ended with 95, my wife got 100, and I had a ridiculous 129 with that city of bio dreams and the endgame card that was points for bio domes or whatever they're called.

The overall genre felt kinda like Terraforming Mars, except the things you're doing are interesting decisions. And, seriously, filling my city with those red domes was super satisfying.

What a coincidence, came here to post about UC as well. Played a 4-player game last night. I was hesitant to play with 4 since I've heard stories of it taking forever, but it was actually pretty reasonable (started setup at 7:30, setup and teach took about 45 mins, finished around 11). I did try to keep the game moving by encouraging players to start their turns while the active player was fiddling with the bits on their player board or whatever.

Top two were surprisingly close: I finished with 102, and the winner had 103 (he went heavily into getting special cards that gave him actions and various end-game points, while I focused on building lots of cities that had all building types). Three of us really liked the game, while one player seemed frustrated that it didn't click with him. Overall though, it was a resounding success and I'm sure it'll get brought out again.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Sure can you PM me details for shipping and I’ll pm you back the overall cost?

I don't have PMs, I guess I can buy them but I'd probably never use them again and I'd rather not right now, can we just email instead?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Merauder posted:

Anyone play this already / have opinions on it? I've heard mostly good things, but always curious to hear the Goon perspective.

I like it very much. The core mechanics are very strong and clever and it plays in 90 minutes. There's an expansion coming soon which should fix any limitations in breadth.

I'm willing to run a PBF if people are interested.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Certainly something I would like to find out more about. Hopefully they can get a distributor in Europe.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

silvergoose posted:

So I played Underwater Cities for the first time, and I had a blast. 3 player, teacher ended with 95, my wife got 100, and I had a ridiculous 129 with that city of bio dreams and the endgame card that was points for bio domes or whatever they're called.

The overall genre felt kinda like Terraforming Mars, except the things you're doing are interesting decisions. And, seriously, filling my city with those red domes was super satisfying.

I disliked underwater cities. Lots of downtime and I had almost 0 interest in figuring out what other people were doing.

I dislike the random setup too. Some tiles are much easier to pull off than others, and that much randomness in the setup of a 2-3 hour euro made the whole game feel like playing catch up.

One of the assistants looks like xzibit though so that's cool

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

dromer posted:

I disliked underwater cities. Lots of downtime and I had almost 0 interest in figuring out what other people were doing.

I dislike the random setup too. Some tiles are much easier to pull off than others, and that much randomness in the setup of a 2-3 hour euro made the whole game feel like playing catch up.

One of the assistants looks like xzibit is a mothafuckin dolphin though so that's cool

Fixed for ya

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

djfooboo posted:

Fixed for ya

Yeah that dolphin is great

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Watching an episode of Only Connect, and the bio for one of the contestants was "made the art for a king arthur themed board game", so, sure, look him up.

It's Ed loving Dovey, who did the art for the Tresham Civilization and 1853, wtf.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
But how good is he at the missing vowels round?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

But how good is he at the missing vowels round?

Decent, but unremarkable. Note that we're going through the archives so this was a while ago. There's a probably unshocking number of board gamers on the show, hobby overlap.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

silvergoose posted:

Decent, but unremarkable. Note that we're going through the archives so this was a while ago. There's a probably unshocking number of board gamers on the show, hobby overlap.

There's overlap on the writing side too, Wei-Hwa Huang wrote questions for a few series and also designed Roll for the Galaxy with Lehmann.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Asmodee Digital is running a live Twitch stream demoing the upcoming Gloomhaven PC game.

Remember when we all assumed it would be a simplified, stripped-down imitation of the physical game?

Nope, it's the actual game. And it looks... amazing. "Adventure Mode" for Early Access (still the real game, just not the persistent campaign), full tabletop Campaign Mode on retail release.

Links:
Twitch stream
Gloomhaven thread discussion

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

WhiteHowler posted:

Asmodee Digital is running a live Twitch stream demoing the upcoming Gloomhaven PC game.

Remember when we all assumed it would be a simplified, stripped-down imitation of the physical game?

Nope, it's the actual game. And it looks... amazing. "Adventure Mode" for Early Access (still the real game, just not the persistent campaign), full tabletop Campaign Mode on retail release.
Confirmed - this actually looks really incredible.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is there a release date yet? And more importantly, a multiplayer date

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Countblanc posted:

Is there a release date yet? And more importantly, a multiplayer date
Early Access release is July 17.

No retail release date yet. I predict this is going to be a pretty long early access period.

Multiplayer is "soon after release". Not sure which release they mean.

Even if it's just solo Adventure Mode forever, what I saw makes me want to buy and play the hell out of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Current goon guild/buddies I added here rankings with 7+ ratings (first column is number of ratings, second is avg rating)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Azul > Root

Confirmed fake news

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Current goon guild/buddies I added here rankings with 7+ ratings (first column is number of ratings, second is avg rating)

Envoy? Really? I exclude it from every Dominion kingdom because it is such a time suck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

djfooboo posted:

Azul > Root

Confirmed fake news

Join the guild and make your voice heard!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

dungeon petz barely in the top 50, laffo at goons and their poo poo taste

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Sherlock Holmes game is pretty cool and we (3 people) managed to get to 60 points on the recommended first case, which I guess is pretty decent?? It had a really cool progression from the start to figuring out what actually happened

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I'd like to play Dungeon Petz more, but we mostly play 2p, and even though the roboimps are fine I usually have a negative reflex towards kludgey moves to make 2p work, so we haven't played it in ages.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I usually play Dungeon Petz with the kids who show up at our weekly boardgame club and they love it :3:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Narrator posted:

I'd like to play Dungeon Petz more, but we mostly play 2p, and even though the roboimps are fine I usually have a negative reflex towards kludgey moves to make 2p work, so we haven't played it in ages.

I taught it last time with no roboimps and was surprised at how fun it still was. Of course there is less competition and blocking but it's still great. It's a nice change of pace to try and the system is still fun to maximize your strategy in with a more open board.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Why are there multiple lists?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Jedit posted:

It's one contiguous list but BGG will only show 50 items at a time so the numbering resets.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Jedit posted:

I think it's different pages of the same list but BGG restarts the numbering

Edit: beaten

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Join the guild and make your voice heard!

I thought I did!? :monocle:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

djfooboo posted:

I thought I did!? :monocle:

vote only in 10s and 1s then!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I’m going to be making a trade soon and I need some opinions on some games I haven’t played. Keep in mind I pretty much exclusively play with 2 and me and my wife lean heavily toward Euro and worker placement games.

Troyes - an older game I’ve never had the chance to try but looks interesting, we seem to like games with dice as workers.

Glass Road - I really like Rosenberg and getting one of his games that can play in under an hour and still be crunchy sounds interesting.

Nusfjord - another Rosenberg that looks interesting.

Elysium - looks like an interesting concept with the card play and not like anything we have.

Istanbul - this is on the list because I’ve heard good things but it looks like it might not play well with 2 and we already own and like Yokohama.

Walnut Grove - heard it described as Agricola meets Carcassonne.

All opinions are welcome.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 8, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I had an idea today to make a travel version of Food Chain Magnate that would use nothing but colored pens and laminated sheets to play and this is what I came up with. The tracker sheet handles the bank and turn order as well as marking off marketing stuff in use, the player boards include the employee tech tree with boxes to mark how many you have hired and how many you have currently working and a food tracker. Combined with the previously posted milestones sheets and you have everything you need to play the game. Use different colored markers to denote food. I'm using this site to generate a handful of maps for each player count: https://boardgamehelpers.com/FoodChainMagnate/

It'll be super portable as it's just flat laminated sheets and markers and you could play it on a plane or in a car or wherever. You could probably convince people to try the hot new diceless roll and write with it :v:

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Bottom Liner posted:

I had an idea today to make a travel version of Food Chain Magnate that would use nothing but colored pens and laminated sheets to play and this is what I came up with.

What a lovely little project! Good work. I look forward to a trip report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Hell yeah! I been wanting/needing some to make a travel version of FCM ever since I saw someone make a portable version of Rising Sun. Can't wait to try this out!