Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's a good thing that none of the Phantom Thieves remember being repeatedly beaten up by half-blind half pints.

Except Joker, who will carry the shame forever.

Get smoked, inmate.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

He's got more than one shame.

(spoilers for an optional piece of dialogue in Persona Q2)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

The twins’ JoJo posing game on point.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

GhostStalker posted:

The twins’ JoJo posing game on point.

It’s such a good pose for them to use after an All-Out Attack. Also yeah if they can target weaknesses they absolutely will knock everyone down before the 5 turn thing and hit the party with the All-Out.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

You know, the sheer amount of effort they put into what is really just taunting you is honestly kinda impressive.

Also: imagining the look on Yaldabaoth's face while he watches them spend weeks choreographing and practicing that never fails to make me laugh.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 5, 2019

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
The Ohya skills are terrible. They really thought you would go to the palaces more than twice (Once to get to the boss and then to defeat him) ?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

AstroWhale posted:

The Ohya skills are terrible. They really thought you would go to the palaces more than twice (Once to get to the boss and then to defeat him) ?

I believe they suffer from a redesign of how Palaces function, where in the past keeping a low profile was a lot more important than it ended up being in the final game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lord_Magmar posted:

I believe they suffer from a redesign of how Palaces function, where in the past keeping a low profile was a lot more important than it ended up being in the final game.

Here’s hoping that both they and Ohya herself get some major improvement in Royal, because as they are now, Ouya is the absolute worst Confidant in both technical and story perspectives.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, Ohya and a couple of other confidants suffer from the massive rewrites the game went through. Also the devs absolutely expects you take more than a single day to do palaces due to how their deadlines are set up, nevermind P4 showed that players really preferred to one shot dungeons when possible.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stroth posted:

You know, the sheer amount of effort they put into what is really just taunting you is honestly kinda impressive.

Also: imagining the look on Yaldabaoth's face while he watches them spend weeks choreographing and practicing that never fails to make me laugh.

The game is definitely at its best with moments like this.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
To be fair having a whole new semester's worth of time to dick around might mean players feel less pressured to push through a palace in a single go.

Another (maybe controversial?) change that I'd like to see is the complete removal of SP Patches. Not only do they help facilitate the "blitz a palace in one day" strategy, they make all other attachments irrelevant and also make other activities like making coffee, curry, or growing veggies with Haru essentially redundant.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Sydin posted:

To be fair having a whole new semester's worth of time to dick around might mean players feel less pressured to push through a palace in a single go.

Another (maybe controversial?) change that I'd like to see is the complete removal of SP Patches. Not only do they help facilitate the "blitz a palace in one day" strategy, they make all other attachments irrelevant and also make other activities like making coffee, curry, or growing veggies with Haru essentially redundant.

Of you want to break up the Palaces more then don't just make the grind worse, do it organically and have more than, like, two points in the game where you hit an unopenable obstacle and need to social engineer a bypass in the real world.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean I don't think there's really that much of a functional difference between having to leave a palace 1/3 through because you're out of SP vs having to leave a palace 1/3 through because you've arbitrarily been forced to leave until you do busywork in the real world. And that still doesn't solve the problem that there's no point spending slots on making coffee, curry, or veggies because the main purpose of all of those is to give you what is supposed to be a rare opportunity to restore some SP mid-palace, but that all goes out the window when you get the cash to stick patches on everybody.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If you have enough money to buy 4 SP patches you either grinded your life away in mementos or exploited confusion so I'm not sure it's that big of a deal since you were going to min-max anyway.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't really do either.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

lunar detritus posted:

If you have enough money to buy 4 SP patches you either grinded your life away in mementos or exploited confusion so I'm not sure it's that big of a deal since you were going to min-max anyway.

Not really? My first playthrough (mostly blind, but I was looking at s-link responses) I got Takemi to level 5, I noticed the discount at level 7, I checked the unlocked items and put 1 and 1 together. I didn't even bother to grind, and I still had money for two patches when I got the discount.
Even just two patches is such a massive increase to longevity it's ridiculous, and the other two are not far behind. Until endgame, the patches are way too stupidly good, and SP costs are clearly balanced around the regen, meaning that not having them equipped is such a massive detriment that other accessories can't really compete.

In past games you could turn the protagonist into the Energizer bunny (and I'm not referring to Victory Cry here), but:
a) the Wild Card is meant to be horribly broken if you take the time to engage with the fusion system.
b) the two passive slots needed to carry the highest SP Regen and Cool Breeze are a noticeable opportunity cost and fusion constraint, and you also need to finish the battle with it equipped for Cool Breeze to kick in.

EDIT: by contrast, the patches are buy, equip, forget, and they're clearly the best bang for the party's bucks.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

honestly by kaneshiro/futaba's palace most players have the resources to have at least a couple SP patches which is usually enough

I put one on MC, one on morgana and didn't really bother buying a third one until like, the boat because I never really even needed a third one

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I remember earlier in this thread a discussion what would be some things you'd want in a future Persona game. I think having supportive parents would be nice.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Miz Kriss posted:

I remember earlier in this thread a discussion what would be some things you'd want in a future Persona game. I think having supportive parents would be nice.

Yes, but what do you want in a future Persona game?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The secret to becoming the Wildcard is to have deadbeat parents.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
You can hardly blame The Fool for leaning a little too much in The Hero's Journey.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 6, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

YaketySass posted:

You can hardly blame The Fool from leaning a little too much in The Hero's Journey.

Honestly? The Fool's Journey could be seen as an interpretation of the Hero's Journey.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

Are Yu's parents bad?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
There's some implications that his parents have been moving around Japan, foisting him onto his relatives for most of his life.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Funky Valentine posted:

At least in P3 they have a pretty good excuse.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Can we assume that he communicates with his parents offscreen at all? Because as far as I can tell they shove him off with a realive he hasn't seen since he was a baby, and also there's a serial killer and the never, like, check on him. Also they aren't sending him an allowance or anything because I remember how many goddamn envelopes I was folding. Furthermore there is not a single mention of anyone else he knew before Inaba, so either

1. Everyone else was, like, super boring
  2. He's never been anywhere long enough to form meaningful friendships
  3. He's going to delete his contact list the moment he gets off that train

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

YggiDee posted:

Well, given Arena and the Golden epilogue, item 3 can't be true.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I only played the original Persona 4.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

YggiDee posted:

Can we assume that he communicates with his parents offscreen at all? Because as far as I can tell they shove him off with a realive he hasn't seen since he was a baby, and also there's a serial killer and the never, like, check on him. Also they aren't sending him an allowance or anything because I remember how many goddamn envelopes I was folding. Furthermore there is not a single mention of anyone else he knew before Inaba, so either

2 makes the most sense given what's implied. People being boring doesn't keep you from forming links with them in 4. CoughSHUcough

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

PMush Perfect posted:

At least in P3 they have a pretty good excuse.

Yeah if my kid was a stone-cold sociopath I'd fake my death in a car accident to get away from them too.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeah if my kid was a stone-cold sociopath I'd fake my death in a car accident to get away from them too.

Fun fact: Minato and Yu are actually brothers. Their parents weren't taking the chance on getting attached to another kid after how the first one turned out.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

YggiDee posted:

Number 2 seems to be canon given the the Golden anime has his shadow flat out say Yu’s greatest fear is being alone again.

Funky Valentine posted:

Hey. FemC at least has a personality beyond being edgy and apathetic. She’s only broken on the inside, like all SEES members.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 6, 2019

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Ohya's skills are useful when you just want to get through a room without a fight as high suspicion can instantly aggro any shadow in a room when step into it. They are still the least useful.

In other news the new character's Persona has been confirmed as Cendrillon, the french name for Cinderella.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ugh, that's boring. Though I suppose La Maupin was too much to ask for.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Robindaybird posted:

Ugh, that's boring. Though I suppose La Maupin was too much to ask for.

There's always the awakened version... :shrug:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

TheKirbs posted:

Ohya's skills are useful when you just want to get through a room without a fight as high suspicion can instantly aggro any shadow in a room when step into it. They are still the least useful.

In other news the new character's Persona has been confirmed as Cendrillon, the french name for Cinderella.

That's, uh, really stretching the definition of picaresque.

:sigh: I wish they'd have gotten Cyrano in there somewhere.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean, I understand what they're going for, but I still think slapping the mythological thief label onto the Cinderella archetype feels really awkward.

Hopefully they have something more fitting for her awakened persona.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Not gonna do an update for it because I have no way of capturing from it, but I'm liking PQ2 so far. P3 FeMC is the best.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I can't be too upset because Cendrillon is a great name to shout when you summon your Persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also, based on what we've learnt about the character her arc is going to be built around wish fulfillment, and I'm pretty sure Cinderalla is literally one of the earliest wish fulfillment narratives.