Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

phasmid posted:

So accurate it was probably written by a fan.
*Tries to swallow in a dry throat*
*Grim smile*
*Face not betraying inner struggle"
*Deep sigh*
*Turns back to you*
"So... we've come to this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

muscles like this! posted:

Asimov actually came up with a reason for this by implying that an organization altered the past for his "main" universe (Robot/Foundation) where they somehow made it so that humanity was the only intelligent life in the Milky Way.

I thought it was that robots committed a shitton of genocides while terraforming planets for humanity. But could go either way. I think similarly to Dune and other sci-fi authors, Asimov just wasn't interested in having aliens in his stories. (Until he was) Gundam comes to mind as a space series that also generally avoids having aliens. (again, aside from that one time)

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought it was that robots committed a shitton of genocides while terraforming planets for humanity. But could go either way. I think similarly to Dune and other sci-fi authors, Asimov just wasn't interested in having aliens in his stories. (Until he was) Gundam comes to mind as a space series that also generally avoids having aliens. (again, aside from that one time)

Gundam's area of space is fairly well contained. I don't think we ever get beyond our solar system in any of them, unlike in let's say Macross.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Temaukel posted:

*Tries to swallow in a dry throat*
*Grim smile*
*Face not betraying inner struggle"
*Deep sigh*
*Turns back to you*
"So... we've come to this."

Handmaid's Tale wasn't as good in the second season, I thought.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pham Nuwen posted:

Handmaid's Tale wasn't as good in the second season, I thought.

Treachery?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Testikles posted:

Gundam's area of space is fairly well contained. I don't think we ever get beyond our solar system in any of them, unlike in let's say Macross.

Indeed, though that's also a design choice.

Gundam's probably among the hardest mainstream sci-fi anime in that the giant robots are treated as military vehicles created by a military-industrial complex, and war in general is portrayed pretty accurately as basically the power games and petty grudges of the complete assholes who run everything. Not surprising that aliens are usually omitted since they're a bit harder to portray with that sensibility. (Not that it stops some from trying, with mixed results) And the one Gundam series that HAS aliens played up how alien and out of the blue they were.

Star Trek can be mixed on that front; the different species are usually treated basically as different nationalities, and the ships are often plot devices but their physical nature does come up in stuff like the Defiant. I think the Maquis were an attempt to portray intraspecies conflict (specifically, human vs human) that didn't really work out as well as planned.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"No goddamn Klingon Empires" is one of the core tenets of Battletech but it's not like that's the only thing it lifts from Dune

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

"No goddamn Klingon Empires" is one of the core tenets of Battletech

Battletech totally has Klingons Clans, though.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Indeed, though that's also a design choice.

Gundam's probably among the hardest mainstream sci-fi anime in that the giant robots are treated as military vehicles created by a military-industrial complex, and war in general is portrayed pretty accurately as basically the power games and petty grudges of the complete assholes who run everything. Not surprising that aliens are usually omitted since they're a bit harder to portray with that sensibility. (Not that it stops some from trying, with mixed results) And the one Gundam series that HAS aliens played up how alien and out of the blue they were.

Star Trek can be mixed on that front; the different species are usually treated basically as different nationalities, and the ships are often plot devices but their physical nature does come up in stuff like the Defiant. I think the Maquis were an attempt to portray intraspecies conflict (specifically, human vs human) that didn't really work out as well as planned.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes also has zero aliens and its area is a lot larger and includes interstellar travel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Testikles posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes also has zero aliens and its area is a lot larger and includes interstellar travel.

Red Dwarf has an even bigger scale in area and time and also makes a point that there's zero aliens, though a lot of freaky stuff that's descended from human creations. A setting where humans are the precursors.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Red Dwarf has an even bigger scale in area and time and also makes a point that there's zero aliens, though a lot of freaky stuff that's descended from human creations. A setting where humans are the precursors.
The First And Last Men by Olaf Stapledon spans two billion years, Lensman series by E. E Smith is even longer than that, and Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon dwarfs them all (pun intended) by clocking in at 10^18 years or so.

Lensman does have aliens, but all of the species are descended from the same common origin - I don't recall either of Stapledons books having aliens.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 5, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
10 Billion Days and 100 Billion Nights takes place over the entire history of the universe

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

skasion posted:

10 Billion Days and 100 Billion Nights takes place over the entire history of the universe
Huh, I never encountered that novel, but it looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

rndmnmbr posted:

Battletech totally has Klingons Clans, though.

Yeah but they're humans. I never said the Clans were original.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

Stephen Baxter's Ring has an alien race who send themselves back to the beginning of the universe so they have enough time to build the ring before the end of the universe.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

phasmid posted:

Yeah, that too. You'd think a galactic monopoly would do a better job of protecting it's interests. Instead they sent Rabban.

So accurate it was probably written by a fan.

Doon is hilarious and on point the whole way through, it's worth tracking down a copy if you can.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Stephen Baxter's Ring has an alien race who send themselves back to the beginning of the universe so they have enough time to build the ring before the end of the universe.

I dig his Xeelee books like that one, they’re pretty wild. His other stuff not so much.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I liked Raft, kind of, but not anything else by him.

This thread got me to reread Heretics and I have to say I don’t think it’s that bad. It’s sure weird but he was obviously trying to top God Emperor, which is a pretty good moon shot to even attempt. I like the result even if it strays into written with one hand territory at times. It starts slow but once the action begins, it’s a proper space opera story, much less dry (haha) than some other books in the series and spends probably more time than all the other books put together on what life is like in its universe and how average people feel about all these hosed up wizards and megalomaniac religious orders constantly backstabbing each other all across the galaxy. It’s cool and really feels like Herbert was trying to get back to the more militaristic story of the first book as opposed to the palace politics that had been the theme of the 2nd-4th, but with more Duncan Idaho who is now also louder, angrier, and has access to a time machine.

On to Chapterhouse, which I recall as being much more boring and having a really tiresome subplot about stereotype Jews.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1136434514987802624?s=19

Not 100% confirmed

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

skasion posted:

On to Chapterhouse, which I recall as being much more boring and having a really tiresome subplot about stereotype Jews.

You're forgetting the clam chowder

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Works for me. A lovely Feyd.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

If true, it does work with Feyd acting as a sociopathic counterpart to Paul.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Very pleased that the Harks aren't being cast as Irish gingers any more, it never matched how I envisioned them at all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Also holy poo poo are they going to capture every loving demographic with this cast? :eyepop:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Very pleased that the Harks aren't being cast as Irish gingers any more, it never matched how I envisioned them at all.

I had this chat with a friend tonight, he insisted all of the Harkonnens were gingers in the books too but I recently re-read the first book and seem to remember Feyd being described as having long, straight dark hair - but I'm not sure that there wasn't something in there about the Baron having red hair. Is the ginger stuff solely a creation the the Lynch adaptation or is there anything in the books that leads to that conclusion?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Baron had a beautiful walnut mane in his youth but Gaius Helen Mohiam labia spells turned his dome into something akin to an upside down ballsack with a few stray curly pubes.
This is canon

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's the Emperor who has red hair, isn't it...? (And the Atreides who have some eye-searingly ghastly banner like a red hawk on green and black or something.)

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Baron had a beautiful walnut mane in his youth but Gaius Helen Mohiam labia spells turned his dome into something akin to an upside down ballsack with a few stray curly pubes.
This is canon

Friend, I think you must be getting someone's fanfic confused with the renowned Dune series, which consists of only six books.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Tree Bucket posted:

It's the Emperor who has red hair, isn't it...? (And the Atreides who have some eye-searingly ghastly banner like a red hawk on green and black or something.)

that banner owns

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

that banner owns

That banner's a greater atrocity than anything the Harkonnens ever did

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I'm only setting myself up for disappointment, but I hope we are shown the Paul/Jamis fight interspersed with the Feyd/Gladiator fight. Couldn't be a better way to contrast the characters immediately, who won't meet for years per the book timeline.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I always figured the Baron was bald tbh. His baby-likeness is stressed repeatedly. Ginger Harkonnens came from Lynch, Feyd is introduced as dark haired.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Lovely Feyd from the illustrated Folio Society edition

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
codpieces are in this summer

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

codpieces are in this summer

There was me, that is Feyd, and my three droogs, that is Vlad, Piter, and Fenrig, and we sat in the Harko Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Warframe is obviously way more recent than all those other science fiction universes, but I really like its scope. It's set some extremely long time in the future where the solar system is extensively colonized, Earth's biosphere has collapsed and bounced back with genetically engineered lifeforms, and the decadent space empire which collapsed ~1000 years lived in opulent bio-organic golden towers, genetically altered their bodies at a whim and did Get Out-style brain transplants when they needed a new bodies, and put gold rings around the loving moon.

And despite that, everything was confined to the Solar System, and all their "AIs" were just made by uploading peoples' minds into computers. So in addition to the planets, there's stuff build up in and around most of the moons and planetoids in the Sol system, like Ceres or Sedna etc.

Leaving the Origin System, and reaching Tau Ceti was going to be an intense and ambitious undertaking, and to do it they made modular, adapting intelligent robots. But the thing is, actual artificial intelligence is treated as being extremely weird, and scary and dangerous, because they're not human and never have been human and their minds would not be anything like a humans. And then those robots, the Sentients, came back and destroyed their empire and remain a thorn in our balls to the game's resent day.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

skasion posted:

I always figured the Baron was bald tbh. His baby-likeness is stressed repeatedly. Ginger Harkonnens came from Lynch, Feyd is introduced as dark haired.

The books describe the Baron as having "red-gold" hair when he was younger, and possibly bald by the time the events in DUNE occur.

Also, Jessica has auburn hair, which would be consistent with her Harkonnen heritage.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The emperor looks like a younger @DuneAuthor

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WarMECH posted:

Also, Jessica has auburn hair, which would be consistent with her Harkonnen heritage.

Her hair is never described as auburn, it's literally always described as 'bronze' or 'polished bronze' or 'shaded bronze'

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Temaukel posted:

The emperor looks like a younger @DuneAuthor

Yeah this always cracks me up, how did Frank know?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

lmao at this piece of evidence tho

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1136646031788204033