Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pedro0930 posted:

I keep losing to my corpse hunger as ghoul. My latest loss results from having my corpse snatched from under me by my own HQ (abandoned warehouse). I think I'll save edit to reduce my hunger. By the time I noticed it's a thing I am already at 7 marks.

Is there a way to get corpse faster? I can easily kidnap people but waiting for prisoner to die takes too long.

you're pursuing a... winter ascension. maybe send out your winter cultists!!!

SettingSun posted:

Explore with your temptation while you're hungry (and only when you're hungry).

that said, this is much much better, as it has no chance of wounding cultists and will not gain you notoriety until the point where it clearly indicates that it will

also,

Verviticus posted:

yeah, i was thinking specifically what each one let me upgrade. i cant find that anywhere. ultimately picking the one that let me deal with fascination seemed like a good idea, but now im thinking with how often i have a dread magnet up, that might be the better choice next time

fascination is generally more dangeorus than dread because with dread, you have painting, opium or lapdancing to get you contentment. with fascination, you need either dread or fleeting reminiscences, each of which are very difficult to get in a hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

pedro0930 posted:

I keep losing to my corpse hunger as ghoul. My latest loss results from having my corpse snatched from under me by my own HQ (abandoned warehouse). I think I'll save edit to reduce my hunger. By the time I noticed it's a thing I am already at 7 marks.

Is there a way to get corpse faster? I can easily kidnap people but waiting for prisoner to die takes too long.

Winter Cult Work.

Tangentally to Verviticus

Knock is powerful because : You can subvert any other lore into knock. Also remember you can split lores down with reason. Not often useful but there.

Trying to summon the big boys with influence primary is madness. Things to consider :-
Restlessness. + knock disciple + rank 8 Lore or tool.
More expeditions! You do know there's like 5 places at each level before you hit the repeating one?

EDIT : My default for studying is Library, Silent Intensity and Open Soul. Still have to get glimmering so there are reasons for other setups, and it means no secret HQ but makes combining maps much easier.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 5, 2019

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

fascination is generally more dangeorus than dread because with dread, you have painting, opium or lapdancing to get you contentment. with fascination, you need either dread or fleeting reminiscences, each of which are very difficult to get in a hurry.

Never forget that cult initiations/promotions can eat a fascination too as long as you have enough of your cults aspect in other areas. I always keep a few uninitiated pawns to eat fascination if I'm in a pinch.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'm sure people ask this all the time, but is there a mod or cheat for the early game stat grind? I like the game, but having to go trough that each run makes me not want to play it.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

thotsky posted:

I'm sure people ask this all the time, but is there a mod or cheat for the early game stat grind? I like the game, but having to go trough that each run makes me not want to play it.

Just use notepad to open the save file (it has shortcut in option) and search for the stats. Everything is basically in plain text.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

thotsky posted:

ctrl+` will open the console where you can just spawn health, reason ,passion and the appropriate skills, named stuff like skillhealth_whatever

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

you're pursuing a... winter ascension. maybe send out your winter cultists!!!

that said, this is much much better, as it has no chance of wounding cultists and will not gain you notoriety until the point where it clearly indicates that it will

also,

I tried, but the preview text says it'll attempt a abduction. Anyways, exploring temptation seems to be how you are suppose to do it, any other corpse it mostly incidental.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are you using a winter disciple promoted from a pawn? they have Edge and that might be throwing off the cult action. You want the two named winter disciples; they definitely go out killing rather than abducting

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Spoilers for Ghoul:
I just figured out you have to eat your own decrepit flesh to unlock a memory. Ohgodwhy

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I figured I'd poke Detective again and have just gotten two generic Edge coloured troublemakers in a row...

Wait, my last run had no cult because I was doing the Dancer anti-victory. Doh.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rynoto posted:

Spoilers for Ghoul:
I just figured out you have to eat your own decrepit flesh to unlock a memory. Ohgodwhy

it kind of directly points you to this, but yeah i too was reticent

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rynoto posted:

Spoilers for Ghoul:

it kind of directly points you to this, but yeah i too was reticent

Y'all are going to love Priest.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh please priest spoils itself for you in its first lines

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I thought it was a spoiler then I wouldn't have posted it :colbert:

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
So, I know that some folks in here have been messing with the ARG/Enigma stuff. The folks in the official unofficial discord recently got the official OK from Alexis and crew to share the lore that is hidden within the ARG (in large part because many of the participants had very, very mixed feelings about hiding important bits of information). They were asked to strip any elements that might help with actually progressing in the ARG, and Enigmatics went to work compiling a lore documents for those who might be interested. This does mean, however, that there are still a few minor secrets that are being held back, but they are very, very inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and I do want to stress how minor those few secrets are, while I obviously would love to encourage everyone to participate in the ARG because its a lot of fun, its understandable that it's not everyone's cup of tea, so you really don't need to feel like you're missing anything of note with those few secrets. They're mostly just names.

Anyway, this obviously comes, of course, with a ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING! Part of the fun of the ARG is uncovering the lore payloads after all, but I'm posting it here to share out. ((Being one of those folks who thought hiding lore is pretty seriously uncool.))

So, here it is. Enjoy.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/187XXHTdm5_C6fS0tzTe031uQyu1AHZbQ65QdE0oaMz8/edit

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I'm glad Christopher's keeping well :unsmith:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Huh, I just got Fascination from painting. I didn't know that was part of the changes too.

That ARG stuff is interesting, though as opaque as everything else in CS. Interesting insights on the worms, though.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Tenebrais posted:

Huh, I just got Fascination from painting. I didn't know that was part of the changes too.

That’s actually always* been there, it’s just rare and only happens when you produce super-high quality work which you probably don’t do very often, if at all, since super-high quality work isn’t how you earn money.

* - always = “for as long as I’ve had the game”, at least, so at least since the humble bundle deal

Incidentally after doing Ghoul I turned around and did Priest and it seemed like the exhaustion mechanic on painting was gone? I still got overexposure cards but my painting skill didn’t accumulate the counter influence. It didn’t terribly matter, I made ~200 funds with Glover & Glover and then cruised on that until I won, but did they go back on that mechanic?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You might have just missed it? The overexposure cards only actually come out when the aspect is removed from your skill card.

Edit: Today I learned Port Noon Anecdotes are Unique and if you get a second one it overwrites the first.

Don't make my mistake kids, use it or lose it!

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 16, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is the Sun Before Me achievable yet?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

Is the Sun Before Me achievable yet?

Yes. It is for Completing any of the Apostle victories. . Kinda stuck on what a non spoiler hint would be.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Edit: Today I learned Port Noon Anecdotes are Unique and if you get a second one it overwrites the first.

Don't make my mistake kids, use it or lose it!

This is true for all the top lores actually, but there's little reason to get more than one of anything but SH lores. Read the card descriptions!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tylana posted:

Yes. It is for Completing any of the Apostle victories. . Kinda stuck on what a non spoiler hint would be.

Oh huh. No need to worry about spoilers, I've already done one of those. Wonder why it didn't proc.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you're in the wrong History, op

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Weird. I mean, that is where the old Sandworm Mouth Door opens. I think.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Does anyone know if Hydra can recruit rivals? Collecting all the detectives (IIRC recruiting non-Douglas got added?) seems like it'd be a fun use of all the spare tools.

Trip Report : It works, but you can still have Grim Idealists so I ended up using debug to -1 +1 detectives. And there's still a bug where one outcome makes them Grim Idealist Tenacious all in one go when the text just says Grim Tenacious.

Also there is a window whose box text is 'King Crucible? Really?' but you can't click start.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 3, 2019

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tylana posted:

Does anyone know if Hydra can recruit rivals? Collecting all the detectives (IIRC recruiting non-Douglas got added?) seems like it'd be a fun use of all the spare tools.

They can, which also lets you do a fun trick with Hydra.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
There is a player on CultSim discord who managed to get every Exalt-level follower (detectives and non-detectives alike) in the same game without using the console.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

how's that, then?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It'd take some dedication. You'd need to build up enough resent on each to make them a rival, then let it fade, then re-recruit them.. which I guess as Mirrors are infinite from the right places is possible?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Tylana posted:

Also there is a window whose box text is 'King Crucible? Really?' but you can't click start.

Isn't that for trying to summon King Crucible after you've ate him? Fake edit: Yeah. That's what it says if you're thinking about the stupendously stupid idea of summoning King Crucible after you ate him. I mean, it probably should let you, and then have bad things happen.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

...you can eat him? How? Why?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Speedball posted:

...you can eat him? How? Why?

So you'll remember.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You do have to leave him to cool a bit.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The important question is is there a way to eat yourself?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Of course.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's mandatory

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I was the first thing that I ate in my playthrough

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Nothing is mandatory. The Elegiast will not take anything from you that you do not give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I have like 150 hours played in Cultist Simulator and I'm really confused by this exchange