Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think Warren tries overly hard to be folksy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

What would be a kosher way to get around the DNC's ban on non-sanctioned debates? I know townhalls are fine (bc they only showcase one candidate at a time), but could a candidate get away with "a roundtable discussion" with other candidates that are topic-specific?

HRC is doing an LGBTQ "forum" in the fall with all the candidates, so there's definitely a way around it. It's not clear if there will be any interaction between the candidates.

But, yeah, it should be

Seyser Koze posted:

Have Bernie and Inslee do one together and dare the DNC to do something about it.

If some combination of Bernie/Warren/Booker agree to a debate, that's not something the DNC can do anything about.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 6, 2019

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Lastgirl posted:

didn't the DNC just "elect" a pro-oil CEO to its chair recently?

i mean the dnc just reversed their ban on fossil fuel donor money last august
Aren't you thinking about California?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

People need to remember that at their core the media LOVES Trump. He's great for ratings and other than occationally saying they should be "dealt with" wink wink don't really care about the bad stuff he's doing to people. Biden is getting off pretty easy since he's hiding right now and the media is conservative so they will side with him in the primary, but in the general they are going to go after him at the slightest bit of blood since they love the gaff angle and don't particularly have a problem with a Trump second term.

Trump and his circus is way more fun to cover than Joe slurring his way through some dumbfuck story about how he loves Republicans and remembers what their dicks look like.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The HRC are scum.

They endorsed Susan Collins against an LGBT activist Democrat who had gotten gay marriage passed Maine.

Collins turned around and voted for Gorsuch and Kavanaugh to dismantle gay rights because ofc

The HRC's philosophy is low taxes for rich white gays and please support gay rights, but gay rights are optional if you're for low taxes on the rich.

I will not be surprised at all if they endorse Trump in response to a Sanders nomination

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

The HRC are scum.

They endorsed Susan Collins against an LGBT activist Democrat who had gotten gay marriage passed Maine.

Collins turned around and voted for Gorsuch and Kavanaugh to dismantle gay rights because ofc

The HRC's philosophy is low taxes for rich white gays and please support gay rights, but gay rights are optional if you're for low taxes on the rich.

I will not be surprised at all if they endorse Trump in response to a Sanders nomination

Huh weird they don't list it here...

https://www.hrc.org/blog/hrc-senator-collins-deeply-disappointing-vote-will-have-long-lasting-conseq

Oh here it is..

https://www.hrc.org/blog/human-rights-campaign-endorses-susan-collins-for-u.s.-senate

Remember when they gave Walmart a perfect rating and then had to sheepishly retract it when all the bad stuff Walmart was doing went public?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

No it isn't, by definition. If their wokeness is performative, they don't really care what Bernie does.

There's nothing Bernie can do to satisfy the "but will breaking up the banks solve racism" crowd. They will lie about him regardless, and if those lies are good at convincing people then people will be convinced. He could potentially help them by making really bad tweets, but he hasn't made bad tweets, his tweets were fine and they're calling him a bigot anyway it does not matter what he does there is no way to win them over. Since there's nothing wrong with his Pride tweet, if their attacks are successful it's not because of anything he did or failed to do.

I find it bizarre that people underestimate the power of empty performativeness, especially in politics... which is basically theatre on some levels. Everyone is "performatively woke" on at least some issues, since we mostly interact with the world through narratives and stories about ourselves and others. There are enough studies indicating that we have one set of ideas about how we perceive ourselves/wish for society to perceive us and how we actually act. In practice, there are entire industries built around both studying, manipulating and exploiting this gap between self-perception and action (in the form of selling religion, 'wokeness', marketing or consumer fetishization, per Marx). Our perceptions of ourselves are pretty malleable, take precedence over our action and are not required to be in any way consistent with them.

This doesn't mean that Bernie should pander to the performatively woke crowd (who at this point may have too many Hillary brain worms to be won over), but dismissing the power of framing and symbol is kind of odd.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

mcmagic posted:

I think Warren tries overly hard to be folksy.

She grew up in a folksy area. Also GWB, for all his badness, figured out the virtues of sounding folksy after he lost his first election (Congress, I believe). Dropped that Yale accent like a hot tater.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Man there's no justification for this. Shame on the DNC

https://twitter.com/MarisaKabas/status/1136387829997735937

We're so hosed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The only way dolts who voted for Trump should be involved in televised D events should be if they are having rotten fruit thrown at them.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Man if Bernie doesn't get in I'm not even going to feel guilty about handing in an empty ballot.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I find it bizarre that people underestimate the power of empty performativeness, especially in politics...

I'm not underestimating it, I'm saying that the people like ZA going "well if people are saying it Bernie must not be Doing Enough to appease them" don't understand what's going on.

There's nothing wrong with what Bernie said on pride, the attacks are 100% cynical bullshit from people who know their classism is unpopular so they hide it under a mask of fake concern for the minorities their policies aggressively gently caress over. There is nothing he could do that would stop these attacks, and if those attacks work it will be because voters didn't ever read or hear his actual words they just assumed he must have said something bad because they kept hearing about it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Aren't you thinking about California?

Oh ya, thanks! :sun: I found what I was looking for , cheers for pointing in the right direction because apparently SEO just gives you a bunch of DNC + Pro-Fossil Fuel articles~ :allears:

DNC is hosed up. Depending how this primary goes, I'm looking forward to a contested convention :twisted:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Radish posted:

Man if Bernie doesn't get in I'm not even going to feel guilty about handing in an empty ballot.

If it's Warren you should feel good about voting for her. It's a spectrum.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I've been getting some Obama vibes from her that she isn't really going to follow through on her primary promises but yeah that's fair I would absolutely vote for her without any problem.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

why are they letting Hillary Rodham Clinton host a lgbt forum

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Calibanibal posted:

much like you, calibanibal, there is no way to stop her. her power is too advanced

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mcmagic posted:

If it's Warren you should feel good about voting for her. It's a spectrum.

Nah, Warren is still a very depressing vote (though she's at least someone I would vote for). Even Bernie only barely crosses the threshold into "I basically feel okay with this."

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Calibanibal posted:

because they're #StillWithHer

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

There's nothing wrong with what Bernie said on pride, the attacks are 100% cynical bullshit from people who know their classism is unpopular so they hide it under a mask of fake concern for the minorities their policies aggressively gently caress over. There is nothing he could do that would stop these attacks, and if those attacks work it will be because voters didn't ever read or hear his actual words they just assumed he must have said something bad because they kept hearing about it.

Thank you, this nails it exactly on the head. I've always wrestled with how to describe this because I always see it going on but never knew quite how to break it down. I know you were addressing the recent tweet specifically but this is applies pretty generally

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

People need to remember that at their core the media LOVES Trump. He's great for ratings and other than occationally saying they should be "dealt with" wink wink don't really care about the bad stuff he's doing to people. Biden is getting off pretty easy since he's hiding right now and the media is conservative so they will side with him in the primary, but in the general they are going to go after him at the slightest bit of blood since they love the gaff angle and don't particularly have a problem with a Trump second term.

Trump and his circus is way more fun to cover than Joe slurring his way through some dumbfuck story about how he loves Republicans and remembers what their dicks look like.

Even if the media don't want Trump to win, helping his campaign is profitable for them and what's more he knows how to take advantage of that fact to entice them to help him more than they already would anyway.

They will slam that betray button every day from June through October because they're addicted to the dollars it spits out, then when they lift Trump into office they'll cry on air for as long as that makes for good TV. When that well gets tapped out then they'll pivot to "Trump the unlikely President has become the President tonight, again :patriot:" after he bombs some foreigners.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Calibanibal posted:

she’s gonna talk about her special relationship with huma

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

just like Hillary the media will tear him to shreds in order to "balance" Trump's scandals because a horse race with one scandal after another is better for clicks and eyeballs and therefore better for profit.

God drat do we ever need to somehow remove the profit motive from news coverage.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

Because she couldn't be bothered with this poo poo when she was secstate, but now she's found the time.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Calibanibal posted:

Because before Pete Buttigieg, gays concern trolling about praising Hillary was something you could find at most Democrat events, along with gays praise trolling about Nancy Pelosi.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

VitalSigns posted:

The HRC are scum.

There are rarely interest groups like this that hit a home run each and every time, especially if you're anti crony capitalism. Example: GLAAD and the NAACP supported AT&T buying T-Mobile and duopolizing the wireless industry because AT&T gave them a bunch of money.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 6, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Thank you, this nails it exactly on the head. I've always wrestled with how to describe this because I always see it going on but never knew quite how to break it down. I know you were addressing the recent tweet specifically but this is applies pretty generally

I think that, following up on what Vitalsigns said, almost the entire reason people think these attacks have some validity in the first place is just that they've been repeated over and over again in the media for years now. Once it's been repeated enough that "person X has problems with racism and/or sexism," people begin to assume that there must be some validity to it, and start reading things about that person in that light (and it's hard to blame them, especially if they're someone who only gets their info from traditional media).

But there's no evidence these concerns ever arose organically. Almost no one talked about this stuff, either in regard to Bernie Sanders or the "far left" in general, until Sanders ran for president, and even then it was started by Clinton supporters and aligned media/political figures. And, notably, the exact same tactic was attempted against Obama. It just wasnt enough in his case, both because Hillary didn't have the same influence she had in 2016 and because Obama's race meant her faction was limited to the misogyny angle.

It's one thing to advocate for things you want, and pushing for Sanders to do certain things is fine. But I don't think anything is gained by entertaining the sort of arguments people usually use, that just vaguely insinuate that he's problematic in some way.

One other thing that comes to mind that proves the dishonest nature of these attacks is that you virtually never see them aimed at Warren, despite her also being a prominent candidate and Sanders having a better history regarding social justice issues than her by any reasonable measure.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

crony capitalism

:crossarms:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Wouldn't call it graft because it's not illegal. But advocating for your donors best interests against the public is kind of lovely when you're an organization that advocates for a segment of the public.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its just "Capitalism" mate.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Man there's no justification for this. Shame on the DNC

https://twitter.com/MarisaKabas/status/1136387829997735937

Boy, they sure do love playing the heel.

Before long, they're going to make themselves so hateful to literally every Democratic voter, that it will seriously buoy any candidate that isn't perceived as DNC-approved.

Which is good news...FOR :bernget20:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ytlaya posted:

I think that, following up on what Vitalsigns said, almost the entire reason people think these attacks have some validity in the first place is just that they've been repeated over and over again in the media for years now. Once it's been repeated enough that "person X has problems with racism and/or sexism," people begin to assume that there must be some validity to it, and start reading things about that person in that light (and it's hard to blame them, especially if they're someone who only gets their info from traditional media).

This is why Jeremy Corbyn is now an anti-Semite.

Liberals are on the exact same 'a lie can travel halfway around the world' train as the right wing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

There are rarely interest groups like this that hit a home run each and every time, especially if you're anti crony capitalism. Example: GLAAD and the NAACP supported AT&T buying T-Mobile and duopolizing the wireless industry because AT&T gave them a bunch of money.

That's bad and corrupt and grafty, but the NAACP has some standards. When is the last time they endorsed a segregationist against a civil rights activist, they've never done that as far as I know.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1136384726430879744

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

That's a pretty incredible level of consistency.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wow it’s almost as if Bernie Sanders isn’t some sort of cynical fairweather career politician!!!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the replies are surprisingly low on succ but bless they do try

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sanders really highlights just how utterly terrible our current crop of soulless Democratic politicians are. It's really distressing how consistently good politics don't matter nearly as much as a bunch of shiity grifters who believe in nothing except getting paid saying how Electable they are to a complicit media.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

bernie sanders backed abortion rights at a time when abortions were crude and dangerous, often resulting in death or permanent injury and trauma. Now that they have become much safer and minimally invasive, he's oddly silent. Its almost as if his real motive was the destruction of the female body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Calibanibal posted:

bernie sanders backed abortion rights at a time when abortions were crude and dangerous, often resulting in death or permanent injury and trauma. Now that they have become much safer and minimally invasive, he's oddly silent. Its almost as if his real motive was the destruction of the female body.

Lol I have to admit this is one of your better ones