Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ammanas posted:

i genuinely dont see whats wrong with killing chewbacca by dropping a moon on him
sounds pretty amazing

Because he could have killed Threepio, and then we'd all be happier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bogus Adventure posted:

Because he could have killed Threepio, and then we'd all be happier

You can't just kill off the main character.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ammanas posted:

i genuinely dont see whats wrong with killing chewbacca by dropping a moon on him
sounds pretty amazing

It's a cool death, but it was pretty nakedly a way of killing off a beloved character to raise the stakes without killing off someone who was important to the plot.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They wanted to kill Luke but weren't allowed to, so they decided to "kill the family dog" instead.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Robot Style posted:

They wanted to kill Luke but weren't allowed to, so they decided to "kill the family dog" instead.

I thought they did it because George Lucas's dog had just died.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Preston Waters posted:

Trek '09 wasn't that bad but JJ made a lot of wrong decisions to turn it into Star Wars, which it ain't.

I think that while there are good Trek movies, the franchise in general just isn't suited for the 2 1/2 to 3 hour film format. The things that make Trek Trek are generally counter to a good movie. Star Wars has had a better track record going from Film to TV, but it still has some rough spots. Like when you go back and look at the Rebels cartoon, each season is basically a movie's worth of good stuff chopped up between a bunch meh TV stuff. Someone who knows how to edit could probably go back and make "The Rebels Trilogy" or something and it would be better than it was in the TV format.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Beeez posted:

I think instead of destroying it, the Lucasfilm Story Group will just change the name of it to REY'S SHIP officially, so it should be fine.

"I dub this ship, A New Hope!"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
They killed off Chewie in the books because he's a character that doesn't actually speak and has almost no other defining character traits besides he's big. He must have been awful to write for. Especially in thousands of books.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

They killed off Chewie in the books because he's a character that doesn't actually speak and has almost no other defining character traits besides he's big. He must have been awful to write for. Especially in thousands of books.

Yeah you beat me to it but they couldn't do anything with him for a decade of books other than having him babysit the solo kids. Do I recall correctly that han painted the falcon all black after he died lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

To my memory of the worst books ever, han was more broken up about chewie dying than he was about either of his sons dying

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

wdarkk posted:

I thought they did it because George Lucas's dog had just died.
I remember reading it in an interview with some of the authors an issue of Star Wars Insider years ago - they wanted to kill off one of the major OT characters to show that this time the star war is for real, and had decided on Luke before being told no and settling on Chewie. The same article also mentioned the super creative way they came up for the villains of the series. They had a brainstorming meeting at a restaurant called Vong, and someone saw Yunan tea on the menu.
So just a real great creative process all around.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm surprised they haven't killed him off in the ST, he doesn't really do anything anyways now. Just give him a noble sacrifice and be done with it. Hell, take the falcon with him, that ship is more tethered to Han and Chewie anyways

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i want chewie to survive, its cool that hes seen the PT, the OT, and the ST just like the droids and is also one of the greatest living fighter pilots, warrior, hero of multiple wars, etc

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Chewie is going to step on a landmine and get detonated in a frightening mist of light pink viscera.

JJ Abrams will end every single OT character.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah, I can't wait to see them destroy R2, 3PO and Chewie all in one fell swoop. :allears: I full yexpect Chewie to die next round.
I wonder if they'll have the balls to destroy R2.

Regarding the falcon, it may be iconic, but it feels a lot like Disney places more importance on it than Lucas and the fans ever did. :shrug: I mean I like the ship, but I didn't miss it in the PT.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Well, the rumor is that the Falcon crash lands on Endor when they’re looking for the Death Star II wreckage. So, if that’s true, then the Falcon is gone, too.

Let the past die; kill it if you have to.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Paul Saltines hits Threepio and R2 with Sith lightning and they loving MELT.

Go all out, JJ.

Do it, you chickenshit.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Gonz posted:

Well, the rumor is that the Falcon crash lands on Endor when they’re looking for the Death Star II wreckage. So, if that’s true, then the Falcon is gone, too.

i haven't seen this posted in here yet? which garbage leak site has this?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Gonz posted:

Watch this be true only for Rey to pull a brand new YT1400 freighter from her rear.
Or maybe we'll get the YT2400 instead.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Preston Waters posted:

i haven't seen this posted in here yet? which garbage leak site has this?

I read it weeks ago in passing on that MakingStarWars site.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Kylo is going to fly the falcon and the spirit of Sheev to that big black hole from Solo and die.

Then when they do episode 10 in 20 years, it's gonna be a big reveal that Kylo survived.

Basically JJ is gonna pull a Shadows of the Empire on us.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

JJ rules.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They better call him Sheev in Episode 9

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

Paul Saltines hits Threepio and R2 with Sith lightning and they loving MELT.

Go all out, JJ.

Do it, you chickenshit.

Emperor Pulp Soda hits Threepio with lightning, which activates the Dark Side artifact Anakin had unknowingly put into his chassis 60 years ago and Threepio goes all Iron Giant on his sorry rear end

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Nah they'll have Rey and Chewie fly the Falcon off to another galaxy at the very end, because Disney is gonna buy Star Trek from Paramount and do a cross-over

Millions will die from self inflicted phaser/blaster shots upon hearing this news.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I swear to god if they kill any of the droids in IX there will be hell to pay.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

IG-88 posted:

They're not really alive. :smuggo:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

YaketySass posted:

They're not really alive. :smuggo:

:respek::smuggo:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Speaking of Disney putting way too much emphasis on the Falcon, I thought how much Chewie's bowcaster was hyped up in TFA was also super weird. Everything becomes like the dice.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

wow chewie ive never seen the effects of this, the weapon you always carry, and have exclusively used for about 40 years, until now, its fantastic

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The focus on items and icons in the marketing is a side effect of franchise film making. 50 years from now a Star Wars film will still be on-brand and recognisable because it has the dice, or the Falcoln, or BB8 in it.

Even BB8, a signature droid that isn't associated with an actor, is a deliberate choice.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wild Horses posted:

wow chewie ive never seen the effects of this, the weapon you always carry, and have exclusively used for about 40 years, until now, its fantastic

Not really?

It’s just a movie trope of finally getting your hands on a cool thing.

Gordon did this in Batman when he was in the Tumbler.

“I gotta get me one of these!!”

Did Gordon never drive a car before? Had he never seen a monster truck show? No. It just felt nice to use.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shiroc posted:

Speaking of Disney putting way too much emphasis on the Falcon, I thought how much Chewie's bowcaster was hyped up in TFA was also super weird. Everything becomes like the dice.

I don't know, I thought it was some funny banter between Chewie and Han. :shrug:
It's not like they really go deep in on like it has some mystical significance like the dice. It's a big gun his friend has and it works well.
The worst thing out of that may be that it demotes Chewie into a mule.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

IG-88 posted:

Don’t worry. R2D2 got shot in the head by a drat TIE fighter in Episode 4 and they totally rebuilt him like five minutes later.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

High Lord Elbow posted:

Don’t worry. R2D2 got shot in the head by a drat TIE fighter in Episode 4 and they totally rebuilt him like five minutes later.

But what if he loses his will to live? :ohdear:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Would be funny if they blew up the Falcon as they are making it a big part of the new Galaxy’s Edge Star Wars Land at Disney in both Florida and California

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
The falcon blows up in a lightspeed ramming attack on the twin towers

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
why do the knights of ren look like the bad guys from hobo with a shotgun

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

PriorMarcus posted:

The focus on items and icons in the marketing is a side effect of franchise film making. 50 years from now a Star Wars film will still be on-brand and recognisable because it has the dice, or the Falcoln, or BB8 in it.

Even BB8, a signature droid that isn't associated with an actor, is a deliberate choice.

To add, this is also why we still have stormtroopers and a blatant empire/rebellion face off in the new trilogy. It drives me crazy but gotta be able to market the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Flavius Aetass posted:

why do the knights of ren look like the bad guys from hobo with a shotgun

I wish they’d be as cool and ’orrible as The Plague