Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

grassy gnoll posted:

Yeah, I did the same thing when I was buying my first airbrushing supplies. Vallejo thinner is basically the worst thing to try and thin their paints for airbrushing. It's just as dumb as it sounds.

I prefer using their flow improver to the retarder medium, since the latter is a moderately thick gel. You can get the Vallejo stuff if you like their bottle caps, or you can use Liquitex flow improver for the same effect for a little cheaper, but with a slightly crummier way to dispense the stuff out of its original bottle. Blending either with some inks and water lets you whip up your own panel liner, too.

You can also increase your transparency with some glaze medium for preference, or matte medium in a pinch. That'll let your texturing shine through more, but you'll need to dump more actual thinner in there to compensate.

(Judging by your post history I'm pretty sure you know most or all of this, so I apologize if this is redundant.)

Unrelated, but thank you to everyone with kind words about the A-wing. I forgot to post the warm fuzzies earlier.

Do you have any tips on how to use the flow improver?

Do you just mix paint and flow improver or do you need water as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Phi230 posted:

Do you have any tips on how to use the flow improver?

Do you just mix paint and flow improver or do you need water as well?

Not to speak for Grassy Gnoll, but I pretty much just use flow improver when airbrushing, unless a paint is really thick like Scale75 or Warcolors, in which case I will mix in some airbrush thinner.

The key is, if you mix in the airbrush cup, to put your flow improver/thinner/water in first, and then the paint. If you put in the paint first it'll run down into the needle channel (I don't know if there's a technical term for this) and it won't thin well at all, even if you backflow to mix it up.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Not to speak for Grassy Gnoll, but I pretty much just use flow improver when airbrushing, unless a paint is really thick like Scale75 or Warcolors, in which case I will mix in some airbrush thinner.

The key is, if you mix in the airbrush cup, to put your flow improver/thinner/water in first, and then the paint. If you put in the paint first it'll run down into the needle channel (I don't know if there's a technical term for this) and it won't thin well at all, even if you backflow to mix it up.

So you just flow improver like any other thinner?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Phi230 posted:

So you just flow improver like any other thinner?

Yep!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The only problem with that is flow improver slows down drying time, so if you over-thin it takes forever for the paint to dry. I usually use a mix of thinner and flow improver, and you can go heavy on the flow improver.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
To speak for me, Diane's post covers basically everything I'd have to say.

The only other thing I can think to mention is that every paint is going to need different ratios of additive, even within the same brands and batches, and it never hurts to do some tests on a sheet of paper if you're going into a brand new bottle.

Or, go hog wild, and then get in some practice stripping your model and giving it another go-round.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Fearless posted:

For once, Youtube recommended something to me that wasn't horribly irrelevant or deeply offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSIgDKvMHk

Marvel at a man modelling a 1960s Dodge pickup, down to creating forms to recreate scale metal body panels. Just so he can dent them and have them look just right.

I fear this may have gotten missed on the last page, this is just mind boggling.

When he started to do the badges and cutting everything freehand.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't even know there was such a thing as rustable iron paint.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
That build video is fascinating but Im hyperventilating watching him constantly cutting towards himself with very sharp knives.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Always cut towards your thumb not towards your chum.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Ensign Expendable posted:

Had one hell of a time masking out the tiny blue sections of the nacelles. Did a pretty lovely job at it, but the wash will cover it up a bit. The final result will be whiter, I just liked the grimdark look before I rub the excess wash off.

They make LED kits for the 1/1000 models? I'm having no luck finding them for that scale. Do you happen to know any item numbers for them? (I've currently got an unbuilt TOS/Botany Bay kit, probably going to grab the refit and the Reliant at some point)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Not that I know of. There are no lights that go behind the clear parts, although you can sort of see light passing through the secondary hull if you look through the deflector dish.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I had some very small cockpit details to brush paint silver, so I tried using Vallejo acrylic and it sucks. I use a microscope for detail painting and the Vallejo paint is basically (relatively) large silver flakes in clear goop. Next I tried Alclad chrome, and that worked better because the flakes are smaller, but ran into some difficulty because it is so thin. I had to wait for the lacquer to evaporate a bit and there was a small window where it could be brushed on before it dried too much. Yes, I know Alclad and lacquers in general are not well suited for brushing. From there, I decided to mix up my own silver paint using Hawkeye silver polishing powder and various clear mediums. That worked great! The flakes are extremely small and I could adjust the density of the flakes by adjusting the ratio of powder to medium.

Silver is the only Hawkeye powder I have and I'd like more metallics - copper in particular. The problem is that Hawkeye seems to have gone out of business several years ago. I ordered the chrome, steel, and iron polishing powder set from Uschi in Germany. They work very well for their intended purpose, but they aren't going to work for making metallic paint because the pigments are all dark gray until they are polished and they don't polish up if you mix them with a clear medium and paint them on. Does anybody know where I can get small quantities of extremely fine grain metallic powder? I'm looking at getting some of the Jacquard Pearl Ex pigments from Amazon, but I have a feeling that the flakes are going to be pretty big.

Second question - I'm using photoetch for the first time and some of the parts have orangish-brown areas in the design (see attached picture). Is that just for texture or am I suppose to do something special with it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

SkunkDuster posted:

Second question - I'm using photoetch for the first time and some of the parts have orangish-brown areas in the design (see attached picture). Is that just for texture or am I suppose to do something special with it?

Thats just the way some photo etch is. The brown area is a bit more recessed, which makes those two rivets pop out.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Were you using the Vallejo acrylics from a dropper bottle, or their other line that comes in a screw-top bottle?

This stuff is very nice to paint details with, but you need to rinse your brushes with alcohol.

Molentik fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 1, 2019

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

What about the wax based AK metallics that come in a tube?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I decided to do a checkerboard pattern on a 1/72 fuselage and I regret every decision I've ever made. Freehanding it might actually be easier than this masking process.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Molentik posted:

Were you using the Vallejo acrylics from a dropper bottle, or their other line that comes in a screw-top bottle?

This stuff is very nice to paint details with, but you need to rinse your brushes with alcohol.

It was the one with the dropper bottle. I just looked at your linked image and realized that I have a few bottles of that somewhere. Completely forgot about those.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What about the wax based AK metallics that come in a tube?

I'd never heard of those, but I just checked out a couple youtube video reviews and they look real nice. The coverage looks excellent. Amazon charges an arm and a leg for them, so I might just have to order them directly from AK. Thanks!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Keep in mind that anyone that views your model is going to be looking at it in pictures or at arms length, not through a microscope.

What looks like giant paint flakes through a scope is going to be completely unnoticed in natural viewing conditions.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I love freaking out about every minor flaw in my model and then a day or two after finishing it up I completely forget what’s wrong with it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Anyone done a caunter paint scheme and have a set of colors they like for it? I'm finding nothing but people recommending various mixes of paints (which is honestly just more involved than I'm interested in) or paint colors that are no longer made. Right now I'm leaning towards Tamiya desert yellow, gray green, and olive drab, but I really don't feel like I have a good eye for it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I have a few models on my desk at work, any issues that were glaringly obvious with good lighting and a macro lens are invisible in office lighting to the naked eye.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Dr. Gargunza posted:

They make LED kits for the 1/1000 models? I'm having no luck finding them for that scale. Do you happen to know any item numbers for them? (I've currently got an unbuilt TOS/Botany Bay kit, probably going to grab the refit and the Reliant at some point)

https://www.tenacontrols.com/page20.html#1_1000_Scale_Reiti_Light_Kit

TenaControls and a few others do the smaller kits, it you pay for it (I think you can also ask for custom stuff)

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Slugworth posted:

Anyone done a caunter paint scheme and have a set of colors they like for it? I'm finding nothing but people recommending various mixes of paints (which is honestly just more involved than I'm interested in) or paint colors that are no longer made. Right now I'm leaning towards Tamiya desert yellow, gray green, and olive drab, but I really don't feel like I have a good eye for it.

There is this from AK.

I went with the incorrect version with blue and primed my tank with Desert Tan Surface Primer. And Gunship Green a colour I think is called pale blue green something. All from Tamiya. I followed a nice video from Andy's Hobby HQ on YouTube.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Dr. Phildo posted:

https://www.tenacontrols.com/page20.html#1_1000_Scale_Reiti_Light_Kit

TenaControls and a few others do the smaller kits, it you pay for it (I think you can also ask for custom stuff)

Cool, thanks! I'll have to check those out.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

grassy gnoll posted:

I decided to do a checkerboard pattern on a 1/72 fuselage and I regret every decision I've ever made. Freehanding it might actually be easier than this masking process.

What if you painted a stripe, and then take some really thin plastic, paint it, and then cut it into squares?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

What kind of thinning ratios are you using here?

Edit: Well, I owe you a thanks. I can use the hairspray chipping method again. I've been using Mr. Color Leveling thinner with my Tamiya and MRP paints for a while now as I found they gave the smoothest base coat. The downside was that my basecoats wouldn't chip worth a drat. Whatever it is, the lacquer thinners have too much "bite" and just don't chip for love nor money. Thinning my paints with water has never yielded very good results for me. However tonight, I sprayed a 1:1 mix of tamiya paint and el cheapo liquitex flow aid and it gave me a nice smooth coat that chipped nicely with water. I tested it out on a paint mule and am very happy with the results. I found that I had to be a little careful not to linger too long in an area or the hairspray would start to activate, but that's a problem I can avoid pretty easily.

I also tried with with Vallejo model color, but at 1:1, I kept getting dry tip. I think 2:1 or 3:1 (thinner:paint) would probably yield better results, but will have to test some more.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 3, 2019

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The Enterprise is lightened up, glossed, and ready for decals.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The Tamiya 1/72 Bf-109 is a really nice kit. Detailing's nice and sharp, fitment is great and only had to fill along the leading edge of the wing. And it's still a Nazi plane, so I wasn't gonna paint it up historical-like.

I had to redo the masking a couple times, and eventually ended up having to do it in multiple passes. I wish I'd put harsher highlights on it in the green and yellow; they turned pretty flat after the wash and seal.

Still, might do another one of these in a diorama getting exploded or something. It really is a nice kit.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Well i see what you mean about the checkerboard pattern. drat fine work!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

That's a nice masking job. Looks great.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

The Tamiya 1/72 Bf-109 is a really nice kit. Detailing's nice and sharp, fitment is great and only had to fill along the leading edge of the wing. And it's still a Nazi plane, so I wasn't gonna paint it up historical-like.

I had to redo the masking a couple times, and eventually ended up having to do it in multiple passes. I wish I'd put harsher highlights on it in the green and yellow; they turned pretty flat after the wash and seal.

Still, might do another one of these in a diorama getting exploded or something. It really is a nice kit.

Nice job on the checkerboard! Is this the new Tamiya 1/72 Bf 109 G6?

WIP on an Eduard 1/72 Spitfire F Mk IX profipack:

Cockpit is pretty much oob, but with a few cables and wires added here and there.

The forward fuselage needed a lot of sanding and filling. Added some quality ms paint lines to show how the kit went together. I'm convinced that the top front part of the cowl was split in two just so they could sell a one part resin upgrade :tinfoil:

Gonna do some wing root chipping, so I put down a layer of alclad aluminum. Also started blackbasing the underside. I'm using AK's air real colors for the first time, and trying to figure out what the best leveling thinner ratio is for them.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I thought Air* paints didn't need to be thinned?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I should hope not, since I've never thinned mine.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Symetrique posted:

Nice job on the checkerboard! Is this the new Tamiya 1/72 Bf 109 G6?

It is, and it's a super-nice kit. I recommend it to anybody who can tolerate Nazi poo poo.

On that same line, how are you liking the profipack Spit? I've been eyeballing that one and the new Tempest for a while, but my last Eduard experience wasn't so hot.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sultan Tarquin posted:

In my experience, some don't, some do, and some are actually btoo thin. None are as thick as the model color, but I've definitely run into some that won't spray well straight from the dropper.

grassy gnoll posted:

It is, and it's a super-nice kit. I recommend it to anybody who can tolerate Nazi poo poo.

The most fun way to have your historical accuracy cake and eat it too is to get models in pairs: a 109 and a spitfire, a panzer 4 and a Sherman, a zaku and Optimus Prime. Then apply battle damage to the bad guys.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 6, 2019

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Depends on your setup and what you're trying to do. I prefer using a leveling thinner when I airbrush lacquers.

grassy gnoll posted:

On that same line, how are you liking the profipack Spit? I've been eyeballing that one and the new Tempest for a while, but my last Eduard experience wasn't so hot.

It's a really detailed little kit, but it does not go together anywhere near as well as a tamiya kit. A lot of seams to fill and rivets to rescribe.

Edit: Added some build reviews of that Tempest.
https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/05/build-guide-148th-scale-hawker-tempest.html
https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/05/build-guide-pt-ii-hawker-tempest-mkv_28.html

Part 1 of 3 of a pretty thorough build review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRZZykgNNaA

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 6, 2019

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The most fun way to have your historical accuracy cake and eat it too is to get models in pairs: a 109 and a spitfire, a panzer 4 and a Sherman, a zaku and Optimus Prime. Then apply battle damage to the bad guys.

Custom print decals using the Tomainian 'Double Cross' emblem from The Great Dictator

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What would you guys say these two colors are for the hull? I'm trying to pick the right Vallejo references to make this exact helicopter. :france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Gray
Other Gray