Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The only thing we buried was the clock. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
It isn't Oregon Trail until we can put something on our tombstone.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Angrymog posted:

Hard run is starting as early as possible year wise, and timing the departure to hit winter over the mountains, right?

In an earlier version of Oregon Trail I once had the trip take five years. We stopped to hunt a lot.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Did you just keep going in circles, too?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here we go. The absolute earliest time we can start with, a full party full of old people and children, and the lowest paying job with no skills selected. For this run, I will not be informing you of the paths. When you reach a fork, it's up to you to use whatever knowledge you have to make the right choice. This includes paths that can take you backwards. Research and choose wisely!

We're so poor we can only afford a 2-month package max and have to choose cheap oxen instead of horses. We don't even have enough money left for a grandfather clock.

quote:

Weight: 2683 lbs.
Cash: $12.28

Animals
6 oxen

Clothing
12 sets of clothing
6 pairs of shoes
12 pairs of socks

Firearms/ammunition
1 box of 20 bullets
1 25-lb. keg of gunpowder
1 rifle

Food
186 pounds of bacon
12 pounds of cheese
12 pounds of coffee beans
6 10-lb. sacks of cornmeal
12 5-lb. tins of crackers
12 10-lb. sacks of dried beans
6 5-lb. tins of dried bread
12 5-lb. sacks of dried fruit
12 5-lb. sacks of dried vegetables
12 10-lb. sacks of flour
1 5-lb. sack of lard
90 pounds of pemmican
1 25-lb. keg of pickles
12 5-lb. tins of preserved potatoes
6 20-lb. sacks of rice
1 3-lb. box of saleratus
6 pounds of tea
1 5-lb. box of yeast cake

Medicines
1 8 oz. jar of aloe vera
1 8-oz. bottle of alum
1 4-oz. bottle of iodine
1 4-oz. bottle of laudanum
1 4-oz. bottle of peppermint
1 6-oz. bottle of sulfur
35 gallon jugs of whiskey

Miscellany
2 boxes of matches
6 10-bar boxes of soap
1 spare ox yoke

Spices
1 8-oz. bottle of pepper
6 10-lb. sacks of sugar

Tools/utensils
1 coffee mill
1 coffee pot
1 kettle
1 30-foot length of rope
1 set of cooking utensils
1 set of eating utensils
1 skillet
6 tin cups
6 tin plates

Wagons/parts
1 spare wagon axle
1 spare wagon tongue
1 spare wagon wheel
1 large farm wagon

I, uh, may have added something to the 2-month package.

We set off with Wagon Train 3.

The river is frozen. Only one way to cross now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-U_z08htUs

All of the nearby towns are frozen over.

And on the first day we get our first casualty! How do we take care of a 5-year-old with a cold on the trail?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
That little boy needs to tough it out. Ignore him, continue as usual.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Increase fluid intake

We should still try to win. That way the deaths will be sweeter.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

Increase fluid intake

Agreed. Let the RNG gods decide our fate, not lovely decisions.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Increase fluid intake

Also agreed. Let death seek us out and not the other way round.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, we'll increase fluid intake and

SALLY WE HAVE NOT MADE IT ONE GODDAMN FOOT WHAT DID YOU DO

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alright this one is definitely laudanum.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Increase fluid intake

This.

For the true Oregon Trail experience, we need not seek death for it will find us at the most RNG times.

Oops, late.

Kerp active. We haven't gotten far enough to let someone dig into our medicine or laze around.

Suzaku fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 6, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Laudanum has to be good for something! Insane confederate generals with half their limbs off can't be wrong except for the parts where they were insanely wrong.

General Hood is basically my only experience with Laudanum.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay, we'll increase fluid intake and

SALLY WE HAVE NOT MADE IT ONE GODDAMN FOOT WHAT DID YOU DO

It's very important that you not go to sleep before getting medical attention after hitting your head. Looks like this one won't be falling asleep again until we hit San Fran. In several months.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I mean, laudanum is just basically opium mixed with booze, so it would make him tired, which would be bad, because if I know anything about medicine, and I don't, I've always heard you don't want to let somebody with a concussion fall asleep. Keep him very active.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Keep them very active. I hear that’s great for concussions.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Literally no one in this time period thinks a concussion means jack poo poo. Continue as usual

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Increase rations. Surely additional bacon and coffee will counter this head injury.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Increase rations. Starve a cold. Feed a concussion. At least I think that's how it goes...

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Good news. I've found Gunn's New Domestic Physician, a home medical book from 1859, so a little anachronistic, but let's see.

quote:

Concussion of the Brain. In Concussion of the Brain, caused by blows to the head or falling with the head upon a hard surface, causing stupor, insensitivity and perhaps vomiting, bleeding of the nose, etc., give active cathartic and purgative injections with cooling applications to the head, bathe the feet in warm water and then apply mustard to them, the shoulders, and the stomach. Do not bleed the patient.

So there you go. Btw, Gunn appears to have been really a fan of soaking ones feet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Epicurius posted:

Good news. I've found Gunn's New Domestic Physician, a home medical book from 1859, so a little anachronistic, but let's see.

So there you go. Btw, Gunn appears to have been really a fan of soaking ones feet.

Guy gets a concussion and I start opening my jar of Colman's.

"I've been waiting all my life for this."

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Epicurius posted:

Mustard you say? I thought we weren't at the donner party stage yet.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Walk it off. Keep active.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I want to keep the patient very active, and plan to do so no matter the illness.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Active it is!

Blue Mound is still blue.

Extremely treacherous and right on the border between fording and caulking. What could go wrong?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Let's wait. We have a few years until the gold rush, we can take our time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Caulk the wagons and float will never fail us, ever

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Wait for someone else to start a ferry service.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Lets wait for a spell and see if the river suddenly improves. Will also give some time for our concussed party member to do some laps around the wagon to cure up that pesky injury.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Just wait - eventually the waters will receded or freeze over. Mother nature isn't going to win this one!

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
We won't let a measly 2.5 foot river stop us this close to the start! Ford that poo poo :black101:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Night10194 posted:

Caulk the wagons and float will never fail us, ever

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
Gotta caulk, baby.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wait. We have plenty of time. But make sure to keep Dash running laps.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wait

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
This is like, I didn't take notes during the first 17 pages and now there's a quiz. :ohdear:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Do a barrel roll then caulk and float.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wait to see if anything cool happens, like the water parting in two.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

After waiting 3 days, the water level drops. Let's go!

gently caress.

All right we keep on going to the Big Blue River. We have to wait for people to finish crossing just like last time, but conditions are nearly identical to how they were last time so let's try the same thi-

gently caress.

Oh and the toddler loving hurt himself now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

If there’s anything I know about the 1840’s (there isn’t), it’s that they solved all problems by getting shitfaced. Use that alcohol.