Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

It's true, don't do this.

Apologies to every I was teaming with when my power went down, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

one thing that will be difficult to see playing it for the first time now is how revolutionary 'getting to use your powers' was at the time. even world of warcraft, the big accessible mmo, at launch your use of abilities was super restricted by mana. you'd spend a lot of your time autoattacking waiting for resources to fill. in coh everything you got to do was a power.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone got a notion of how to place a custom corpse in an architect mission? I need the player to find a specific someone instead of a bodybag if at all possible. I tried setting them as an ally who remains in the Unconscious animation but they occasionally get up anyway and gently caress up the whole vibe.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Having a good time with my pumpkin headed fashionista, Dashing Pumpkin.

So glad to be playing the best game again

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

So I'm about to hit 22 on my first character (Archery/Trick Corruptor) and I guess I need to get on the IO train. All I know is that they will scale with my level and that they exist. Can someone give me the quick and dirty so I can make this happen once i level? I'm assuming I buy them on the AH, but I'm not even sure what category to look at.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

clone on the phone posted:

So I'm about to hit 22 on my first character (Archery/Trick Corruptor) and I guess I need to get on the IO train. All I know is that they will scale with my level and that they exist. Can someone give me the quick and dirty so I can make this happen once i level? I'm assuming I buy them on the AH, but I'm not even sure what category to look at.

No, go to the university in Steel Canyon, do the quick tutorial quest-chain available there about the Invention System, this will give you a basic introduction to the whole crafting thing.
In practice: You'll buy the ingredients for the IOs you want from the AH and the recipes for those IOs will be purchasable right at the crafting station. At 22, you'll want to be crafting the lvl 25 IOs which I am told are good enough to get you to 50.
Be prepared to spend a lot of Influence.

Edit: Influence not Inspiration

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 6, 2019

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Amstrad posted:

No, go to the university in Steel Canyon, do the quick tutorial quest-chain available there about the Invention System, this will give you a basic introduction to the whole crafting thing.
In practice: You'll buy the ingredients for the IOs you want from the AH and the recipes for those IOs will be purchasable right at the crafting station. At 22, you'll want to be crafting the lvl 25 IOs which I am told are good enough to get you to 50.
Be prepared to spend a lot of Inspiration.

Okay, thanks. I will do that and hopefully all will become clear.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
FYI, my personal experience (2 characters for reference) is it takes about 1-2m inf to fully kit out a fresh 22 in basic level 25 IOs from nothing. Maybe I'm bad at the market or accounting.

That said, you can sell enhancement converters for 100 - 120k inf each (or a little higher with good timing) and you get 3x per merit reward token so its not as bad as it sounds.

Running summer blockbusters, the enh rewards sell for the very rough ballpark of 5m inf each.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

25 IOs are slightly worse than SOs, which means you'll be running a few % below what the game "expects" you to have from 25-50. not that this matters much for most characters. still, level 30 IOs, which are better than SOs, are the better long-term investment if you just want the one set of IOs while leveling

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I remember it's a relatively simple fix, but:
can someone help me make the default targeting not the complete opposite of what I want/expect? I.e., when I hit Tab, I don't want it to target the absolute furthest-away next enemy.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Ghost of Starman posted:

can someone help me make the default targeting not the complete opposite of what I want/expect? I.e., when I hit Tab, I don't want it to target the absolute furthest-away next enemy.

tbh personally I've just bound Target Nearest Enemy to ` (tilde) since like 2004 and my muscle memory is firmly ingrained that way

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Ghost of Starman posted:

While you could do this with a bind, you can just go into your options under keymappings and bind target enemy near as tab.
Or /bind tab "target_enemy_near"
I would say use Q or something instead though, so you can target nearest and then hit tab to next since you may want to target a different mob, like a Malta Sapper before he saps your tank/brute or a Sky Raider Engineer before he drops a shield generator

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

one thing people forget about 2003 MMOs is that the original holy trinity wasn't tank/healer/DPS, it was tank/mezzer/DPS. CoH's focus on control powers was not really that unusual at the time, it's just that most of the MMOs of that vintage were awful to play and vanished in WoW's shadow

I'm going to add to what others have said that if you do start crafting your own IOs, try to do all your crafting on one character. Memorization makes it much cheaper to churn out 25/30 IOs as needed.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

LordSaturn posted:

one thing people forget about 2003 MMOs is that the original holy trinity wasn't tank/healer/DPS, it was tank/mezzer/DPS.

It was actually Tank/Healer/Mezzer! Or more specifically Warrior/Cleric/Enchanter from Everquest, though it eventually turned into a more general term.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Jazerus posted:

25 IOs are slightly worse than SOs, which means you'll be running a few % below what the game "expects" you to have from 25-50. not that this matters much for most characters. still, level 30 IOs, which are better than SOs, are the better long-term investment if you just want the one set of IOs while leveling

Personally, I don't go on an IO spree until level 27 or 32, cuz thats when you can socket 30s/35s.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 6, 2019

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Drakkus posted:

It was actually Tank/Healer/Mezzer! Or more specifically Warrior/Cleric/Enchanter from Everquest, though it eventually turned into a more general term.

you're right, I always forget where the mezzer fits in

but yeah, EQ had a huge amount of mezzing/buffing stuff in it, it was just wildly loving broken, as I recall, and not fun to play

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Thanks for the IO info guys. I think I will wait until I can craft the 30+ IOs. I guess I should use SO enhancements until then though?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Thanks for the IO info guys. I think I will wait until I can craft the 30+ IOs. I guess I should use SO enhancements until then though?

you probably don't NEED any enhancements before 27. slam some blues in Stamina to keep the mana chugging, and make sure to collect your free P2W enhancements to make your damage better. also take a minute to sift through the crap you get as loot, some of those are relevant

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If you're doing huge group activities you probably can just slot in whatever garbage you pick up and ride the train. If you're soloing you probably want to at least put in some DOs now and then.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah, SOs aren't terribly expensive especially if you convert some merits into cash

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I've been pretty diligent about keeping my DOs up to date because I hate missing and power is power. What's the best way to turn merits into cash?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

I've been pretty diligent about keeping my DOs up to date because I hate missing and power is power. What's the best way to turn merits into cash?

While keeping your sanity? Sell enhancement converters on the AH.

If you have time to burn, play the market with crafted enhancements (using converters to turn cheap enhancements into expensive ones).

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Jazerus posted:

yeah, SOs aren't terribly expensive especially if you convert some merits into cash

I'm fully slotted out with SOs at 25 and I spent like... most of my teens/early 20s using the 100%xp/-100%infamy thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly the difference between 25s and 30s is really small and 25s are cheaper. These days I generally outfit my characters with level 25 IOs at 22 and then start adding 30s as I level up and get more slots.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just got a Logitech G600 for $30 on Amazon. This is my first gaming mouse, anyone have any clever ideas for what to do with all these buttons? Sorry if this seems like an ad.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Creating Inventions, known generally as IOs.
Store bought Enhancements are known as Training, Dual Origin (DOs) and Single Origin (SOs).

Stop by the University in Steel Canyon and talk to Admissions Officer Lenk or Cap Au Diablo and talk to Dean John Yu to get started on a small and wordy tutorial on the basics of creating IOs. And you will get your choice of a free IO out of the deal.

Suggested levels to start getting into slotting yourself into a full set of IOs can be any level between 22 and 32(at these levels you can slot 25s and 35s).
But that is up to you. You can wait until 35 and it would be cheaper to do so, but you might be feeling a little weak at that point if you haven't jammed a few DOs or SOs into your build.
Prices, my 28 Blaster can buy level 30 DOs that enhances my accuracy by 18.3% for 11,875 or an SO that enhances my accuracy for 36.7% for 35,712 while a level 30 IO enhances 34.8% and costs 40,400 to create if I already have found a recipe through mission drops. Or I can buy it at the University crafting table (which are glowing tables just inside the University door, as shown to you in the tutorial) for another 30,300. Which may seem a lot but remember, you don't have to replace them every few levels like you do with DOs and SOs.
Also this is where the Auction House comes in.
Auction Houses can generally be located in the same area as the University OR just type /AH in chat to pull it up anywhere that is not inside an instance or Supergroup base.
At the Auction House I can get a Level 30 Accuracy for as little as 5,000 at the time of this posting, depending on the day and hour also makes a difference.
Patience, bidding low and waiting a day or 2 can get items very cheap.

So that's the basics, you still need the money to buy the items which you can get by selling off rare salvage or recipes that you get through missions.
Recipe prices can be all over the place and can sometimes net you more money just selling them to a vendor.
Rare salvage can be auctioned off anywhere from 500k-800k at the time of this posting.

This leads me to something that Lord Saturn informed me of, Memorization. The more inventions you make in a specific category will net you badges.

This makes the memorized recipes free to buy and 1/2 price to create. I have 1 alt now that I switch to for most of my IO crafting.
Which can be a huge pain, but i'm cheap. Hey, I have a lot of alts to supply.

Well that's the basics of it, of course after that you can start buying yellow, orange or purple sets as you see fit, because sets in the long run will be better as more than 1 enhancement in a set will give you bonuses. Look at each set to decide which bonuses are good for your powers.

I will leave that up to someone else to explain. Please let me know if I have missed anything or something isn't as easy to understand as I thought.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 7, 2019

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

also you can do the hero and villain side invention tutorials and get a freebie from both if you feel so inclined

just takes a trip or two to null the gull to swap

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Excuse me lady but I have a proper title

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Haaa I love it.

I recall the devs saying that they could never figure out how to get the NPCs to include your title.
A real shame.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Speaking of titles, it kind of sucks that low level Praetorian characters have some unique title options available to them, but by the time you hit 30 they're overwritten by the standard hero/villain titles at the trainer. So I'll never be able to have two nonsense Resistance-speak titles at once.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I’m having trouble deciding between playing my SJ/elec or TW/Bio brute. They’re both so satisfying to play. Do I focus on Space Pirate or Ent Knight...

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I just got a Logitech G600 for $30 on Amazon. This is my first gaming mouse, anyone have any clever ideas for what to do with all these buttons? Sorry if this seems like an ad.

Using them for the Mastermind keybinds seems like a pretty decent idea.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

HPanda posted:

I’m having trouble deciding between playing my SJ/elec or TW/Bio brute. They’re both so satisfying to play. Do I focus on Space Pirate or Ent Knight...

TW/Elec brute, best of both worlds

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Fried Sushi posted:

TW/Elec brute, best of both worlds

I've seen too many of those because of Lightning Reflexes. Really, I'm more torn between TW and SJ. I'll probably end up playing both of them, but I think I need to focus my resources on one or the other. Brute IO's get expensive.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

HPanda posted:

Doesn't matter, you will come up with a great character concept and get distracted within 2 hours.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Relentless posted:

Doesn't matter, you will come up with a great character concept and get distracted within 2 hours.

Story of my life

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

re: enhancements its seriously worth looking at the AH for cheap lvl 25 recipes at 22 bc they can be way better than just using normal single-stat enhancements, and also cheaper than buying the recipes at the workbench. buying up a ton of different 1000 inf recipes or whatever for a new character with 2 stats + a set bonus beats the hell out of 30k or whatever workbench recipes imo. just make sure you dont buy any with rare mats that you cant afford

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Also have to say, that's a really awesome costume for Secret of Space. What powersets?

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 6, 2019

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
How exactly do you build for AOE damage as a melee person - scrapper, brute, tanker, or otherwise? Is that a thing? I've gone with a few groups and am not really sure how this all works. The mobs seem to melt as I struggle to ready up a power to hit a single target. I get how it works wtih blasters and controllers, but not scrappers. I am having trouble sticking with a character, because I don't really understand how all of these power sets and power combinations work at a higher level and want to try out everything. I don't exactly have a lot of free time, so I don't feel great about committing to something until I know more about it. Is there somewhere that has a breakdown of all the power sets and how they play/feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dr Tasty posted:

How exactly do you build for AOE damage as a melee person - scrapper, brute, tanker, or otherwise? Is that a thing? I've gone with a few groups and am not really sure how this all works. The mobs seem to melt as I struggle to ready up a power to hit a single target. I get how it works wtih blasters and controllers, but not scrappers. I am having trouble sticking with a character, because I don't really understand how all of these power sets and power combinations work at a higher level and want to try out everything. I don't exactly have a lot of free time, so I don't feel great about committing to something until I know more about it. Is there somewhere that has a breakdown of all the power sets and how they play/feel?

If you really want some AOE, consider the sets with damage auras.

That's Spines, Electric armor and fire.