Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rick posted:

Schism was something that I thought would hate. Then the break up story was really good and I thought I would love it. It turned out I was right. I hated the Cyclops half of he divide and loved the Wolverine half.

It gave us Wolverine and the X-men didn't it? drat that was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
reset the "days since Rosenberg has killed off a mutant of note" counter to 0

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Autism Sneaks posted:

Aw. Who now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if Vanisher is a mutant of note really.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Autism Sneaks posted:

More like "days since Emma Frost has killed off a mutant of note".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rip Telford Porter, at least the stage four syphilis didn't get him

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Wasn't Vanisher already dead??

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

I don't know if Vanisher is a mutant of note really.

if you appear in the second ever X-Men comic you're noteworthy. doubly so if you get played by Brad Pitt in a movie

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I just can't get over how O*N*E amble in to the Hellfire Club with no sign of any resistance or warning being given. I dunno if they're going for a reference, but Fitzroy at least teleported the Sentinels in.

Continuing the utter lack of care, I enjoyed how Marrow suddenly switches to her post Shi'Ar healing tank look for the last two pages with the artist change. The art was pretty good in this at least though!*

When you compare how Mutant oppression is portrayed in Uncanny versus Prisoner X #4 this week, it's just night and day in terms of nuance, intrigue and excitement. Poor Anole and Emma. :argh:

*Emma's two black dresses were fabulous, props to the artists for them. :allears:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Autism Sneaks posted:

if you appear in the second ever X-Men comic you're noteworthy.

Did you know that before bleeding cool posted about it though?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 6, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The broken post is bugging me and even though it's mine I'm replying to fix it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

I knew that. I had a reprint copy of it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Vanisher is a very cool character who eventually came to occupy a niche that's pretty common in the broader Marvel Universe but fairly rare in the mutant titles-- he's a guy with a power that makes it exceedingly easy to get away with crimes, so he runs around getting away with crimes. He's venal, cowardly, and he knows which side his bread is buttered on, which can make him a refreshing presence amidst the operatic morality tales that make up the bulk of X-Men arcs, just like softball issues or Harry's Hideaway.

He was great in Fallen Angels as a Fagin-type and a lot of fun in the pre-Remender X-Force as sort of a slimy sleazy guy being extorted into working with them who eventually comes around on his team-mates. It's a familiar arc but one that suited his powers and personality. He's not an A-lister by any means but he was a longstanding and memorable character with a healthy backlog of interesting and entertaining stories.

I've dropped UXM because, well, it sucked to read and to look at, but look, I'm sure that like everything else going on before Hickman starts, it'll be forgotten the next time someone else feels like they need a bad guy who can teleport.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm thinking of re-upping my Marvel Unlimited subscription and while I've read most of the Claremont era and a pretty good helping of X-comics from Morrison's New X-Men to present I've read almost nothing in between, aside from Age of Apocalypse are there any must read arcs from the 90's?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

I'm thinking of re-upping my Marvel Unlimited subscription and while I've read most of the Claremont era and a pretty good helping of X-comics from Morrison's New X-Men to present I've read almost nothing in between, aside from Age of Apocalypse are there any must read arcs from the 90's?

Warren Ellis's Excalibur is rough as hell compared to a lot of his later work and has really inconsistent art, but it's a fun book with a lot of big ideas, which was rare at the time.

I'll also admit to a soft spot for Fabian Nicienza's Gambit solo.

Beyond that, '90s X-Men is a highly influential dumpster fire.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Skwirl posted:

If you are also checking for early 00's stuff, you can't go wrong with Cable & Deadpool from Fabian Nicieza.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
And Exiles by Judd Winick.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

:jerkbag:

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010

Skwirl posted:

There are a ton of great individual issues during the 90s, but the endless dropped plots and staggering amounts of editorial interference make for choppy reading. If you want a clean run of really worthwhile stuff, Alan Davis' Excalibur run is fantastic. It's early 90s I guess, but a total delight from start to finish. I'd also throw in the first twenty-five or so issues of Generation X (including the Phalanx lead-ins), but it does get wobbly from time to time and peters out terribly (plus don't ask what happens to any of the kids afterwards).

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Marvel Studios Exec Calls X-Men Name "Outdated"

quote:

Is the name "X-Men" outdated? Marvel Studios' Executive Vice President of Production Victoria Alonso thinks so. During an interview about Captain Marvel's home video release, Alonso is asked about the future of the X-Men at Disney and goes on an interesting tangent.

"I don't know where the future is going," Alonso told Nuke the Fridge. "Its funny that people call it the X-Men... there's a lot of female superheroes in that X-Men group; I think it's outdated."

:getin:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I would love if after the House of X and Powers Of X series that Hickman gives the group a new X-Name.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Skwirl posted:

Excalibur through when Alan Davis leaves is my favorite book of all time. I read all of this stuff first generation as it was published and I had remembered X-Force being edgy gen-x crap but it actually holds up SHOCKINGLY well and feels very much like classic New Mutants through major chunks of the first ~40 issues or so. Give it a shot until you want to blow your brains out, then move on.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

IUG posted:

I would love if after the House of X and Powers Of X series that Hickman gives the group a new X-Name.

Plot twist: House of X is the new name! :aaa:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Excalibur through when Alan Davis leaves is my favorite book of all time. I read all of this stuff first generation as it was published and I had remembered X-Force being edgy gen-x crap but it actually holds up SHOCKINGLY well and feels very much like classic New Mutants through major chunks of the first ~40 issues or so. Give it a shot until you want to blow your brains out, then move on.

Are you counting when Davis comes back to write and draw? That part's really good. There's some bizarre filler in-between.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There’s a picture of Magneto in green with the two future X-Men. I wonder if it has anything to do with Polaris.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

There’s a picture of Magneto in green with the two future X-Men. I wonder if it has anything to do with Polaris.

Oh yeah, I missed the thing where they made Wanda and Quicksilver not his kids, did that gently caress with Polaris' backstory as well?

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

JordanKai posted:

Plot twist: House of X is the new name! :aaa:

Rosenberg Uncanny #11 : “this is the last X-Men story”

Maybe not so outlandish?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah, I missed the thing where they made Wanda and Quicksilver not his kids, did that gently caress with Polaris' backstory as well?

No, being relegated to the X-Men I think she's Magneto's only kid now.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Dawgstar posted:

Are you counting when Davis comes back to write and draw? That part's really good. There's some bizarre filler in-between.

Yeah, absolutely.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's probably my favorite comic runs too. I think part of what helps is that it's a complete arc complete with a resolution.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Minister of Sound posted:

And Exiles by Judd Winick.

Also, Peter David's X-Factor run. Fun times.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Grant Morrison's New X-Men run from 2001 is the first awesomely good Marvel run of the 2000s. It's not quite 90s, but it feels like a really good death to the technicolor edgy look of the 90s runs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

JMS and Romita Jr started on Spider-Man the month before. Those were my first two books I went to the comic store every month for.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1137586263375208453

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Done what? Caught every Unown?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Mutants now speak their own language and every word balloon uses those letters/symbols.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's a countdown

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nevvy Z posted:

It's a countdown

The last, or final one most likely.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

Mutants now speak their own language and every word balloon uses those letters/symbols.

i always knew Doop was a progenitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

These Loss edits are getting pretty obscure.