Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Every time I travel to America with the Japanese dudes I work with they always seem to spend at least half their meals out eating ramen.

What are good festivals in summer in Tokyo? Because they all seem to be lovely street food and too many people with nothing entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Stringent posted:

McDonalds, and shitloads of Americans do precisely that.

some that've posted in this very thread

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

prompt posted:

What are good festivals in summer in Tokyo? Because they all seem to be lovely street food and too many people with nothing entertaining.

The local one where your kids run around playing with their friends from school so you can just hang out and drink slightly warm Asahi chill.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Crazy thought but it's possible to like visiting Japan but not like Japanese food that much

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Stringent posted:

The local one where your kids run around playing with their friends from school so you can just hang out and drink slightly warm Asahi chill.

It was nice having a nap outdoors at that one matsuri performance thing I went to with you

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Shammypants posted:

Crazy thought but it's possible to like visiting Japan but not like Japanese food that much

yeah, nah

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Shammypants posted:

i don't buy it

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shammypants posted:

Lol if you such a child that you don’t want to experience different food. Straight up just don’t leave your country. Like not liking certain things or whatever is fine but you’re a dumb rear end in a top hat if you flat out refuse to eat anything at all that’s not explicitly your home country/culture’s food.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Chinese counterpart owned herself by not telling me tomorrow is a Chinese holiday until just now. I would have moved her report up in priority if I had known, but I guess she'll be working late tonight. First I've ever heard of "Dragon Boat Festival."

For tourists, there are probably whole worlds of Japanese cuisine that you don't even know about from your own country, and what you do know is probably leaps better here in Japan, so I strongly encourage you to try. But if you are in the middle of a long day of sightseeing and just want an easy bite before continuing, don't worry what sweaty assholes on the internet think about McDonald's. I recommend the Ebi Filet O, which is a sandwich that should be on the menu outside of Japan but isn't.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Conbini food is the pro move for quick bites. Jam a couple sticks of karaage in your face.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

for the record i was criticizing going to tgi friday's in japan, not mcd

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The only time I've been to a TGI Friday's was in Korea. My Korean friend insisted we go and I finally gave in. Little did I know she had planned it and TGI Friday's had an all you can drink special of decent alcohol that day for like, $10. It was good.

Still nobody funnier than the Korean guy I saw at the airport bringing a five kilo bag of Korean rice with him on his vacation to Japan.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

sale on Banksy art posted:

Chinese counterpart owned herself by not telling me tomorrow is a Chinese holiday until just now. I would have moved her report up in priority if I had known, but I guess she'll be working late tonight. First I've ever heard of "Dragon Boat Festival."

For tourists, there are probably whole worlds of Japanese cuisine that you don't even know about from your own country, and what you do know is probably leaps better here in Japan, so I strongly encourage you to try. But if you are in the middle of a long day of sightseeing and just want an easy bite before continuing, don't worry what sweaty assholes on the internet think about McDonald's. I recommend the Ebi Filet O, which is a sandwich that should be on the menu outside of Japan but isn't.

dragonboat festival is good cuz it's a simple 3 day weekend and maybe go watch boat races, and you get to eat zongzi which are good.

also it's a deeply ironic holiday in modern china since it celebrates a political dissident.

Grand Fromage posted:

The only time I've been to a TGI Friday's was in Korea. My Korean friend insisted we go and I finally gave in. Little did I know she had planned it and TGI Friday's had an all you can drink special of decent alcohol that day for like, $10. It was good.

I've only been to Hooter'ses in Asia (twice in China once in Japan) and it was awful every time.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol if you such a child that you don’t want to experience different food. Straight up just don’t leave your country. Like not liking certain things or whatever is fine but you’re a dumb rear end in a top hat if you flat out refuse to eat anything at all that’s not explicitly your home country/culture’s food.

I'm actually on your side. Hell, I take it even further. When i'm in Japan, I immediately throw my iPod full of American music into the Arakawa river and hire an artisan to follow me around playing the Taiko drums.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Counterpoint, being an adult who can choose to eat whatever they want in whatever country they're in is cool and good, because there's no country on earth that's only worth visiting because of its food.

(This extends to eating foreign foods in your home country because that's also an option!)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

because there's no country on earth that's only worth visiting because of its food.

Malaysia. Singapore.

:colbert:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
China notably absent because despite the food it's still not worth visiting.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

I've only been to Hooter'ses in Asia (twice in China once in Japan) and it was awful every time.

The company that runs Japanese Hooters is bankrupt, but the stores are still operating for now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stringent posted:

China notably absent because despite the food it's still not worth visiting.

I was literally coming back to edit in China. :argh:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

because there's no country on earth that's only worth visiting because of its food.

not sure about this one

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mikeycp posted:

not sure about this one

I think you'll find that a Domino's pepperoni pizza tastes much the same whatever country you're in.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Actually I guess China doesn't count since it has Shanghai in it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Stringent posted:

I think you'll find that a Domino's pepperoni pizza tastes much the same whatever country you're in.

i'm not sure i'm willing to test this

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I think History Comes Inside! already has.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Still nobody funnier than the Korean guy I saw at the airport bringing a five kilo bag of Korean rice with him on his vacation to Japan.

I’m afraid of moving back to the US and my wife demanding we only get imported Japanese rice.

I can understand the stress of traveling somewhere and just wanting something familiar, but Chinese tours only going to Chinese restaurants is still funny as gently caress.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I knew someone who went to japan for a work conference.

She stayed 9 days in her Tokyo hostel and just lived in conbini food. Oh and she’s too scared to order food in a restaurant.

I even gave her a full google maps of places to eat but in the end she didn’t even have a sushi meal. She definitely had money and could afford a good meal, and she even likes to try different food.

But nope, garbage conbini food

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

harperdc posted:

I can understand the stress of traveling somewhere and just wanting something familiar, but Chinese tours only going to Chinese restaurants is still funny as gently caress.

And you have to keep in mind they're complaining about the food all the time since the Chinese restaurants they go to are lovely/not identical to what they're used to in their hometown.

So you get people telling you about how they went to Italy and there's no good food there at all.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

And you have to keep in mind they're complaining about the food all the time since the Chinese restaurants they go to are lovely/not identical to what they're used to in their hometown.

So you get people telling you about how they went to Italy and there's no good food there at all.

Oh poo poo, calling out cabe itt.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cabe made me drink baijiu and I still haven't forgiven this treachery

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ok, well, that kinda owns, but still.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i'll drink baijiu

it turned detective conan back into a teen imagine what it could do to a grown man

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have a bottle of baijiu at my place come on over

It is the finest baijiu money can buy, cost me almost 40 cents per bottle.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who is studying Japanese in one of the outlying areas of Tokyo, and I think me and a mutual friend of his are going to go visit him. He's got a summer break from late July through early September, a winter break from XMas through January 5th, and he'll be finishing up in March and we could do some time there, then. I'm inclined to say March, since I'm not in a huge rush, and that just seems like the best time to visit (best weather, cheap flights, avoiding tourist season, etc.). We would probably spend 10-14 days there, probably mostly in Tokyo (I've never been to Japan before, and neither has our mutual friend). This definitely won't be, like, a luxury vacation or anything, we'll probably share a room in mid-to-mid-low range hotels. All that being said, what would people recommend as far as timing? I figure late in the year will be busy just because that's when kids have time off in the U.S., but maybe not for going to Japan?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I have a bottle of baijiu at my place come on over

It is the finest baijiu money can buy, cost me almost 40 cents per bottle.

ok. i'll hit you and magna kaser in one go

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

mikeycp posted:

it turned detective conan back into a teen imagine what it could do to a grown man

But what effect did it have on Cabe?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Stringent posted:

I think History Comes Inside! already has.

Nah I kept it strictly TGI for two meals out of all the meals I ate in Japan, truly I am a Western monster with no respect.

I'm visiting again next year with another couple and one of them has a list of weird allergies longer than my arm so we're going to be leaning very boring but safe recognisable western food very hard and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me from having a good time in Japan regardless :kheldragar:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Thanatosian posted:

I have a friend who is studying Japanese in one of the outlying areas of Tokyo, and I think me and a mutual friend of his are going to go visit him. He's got a summer break from late July through early September, a winter break from XMas through January 5th, and he'll be finishing up in March and we could do some time there, then. I'm inclined to say March, since I'm not in a huge rush, and that just seems like the best time to visit (best weather, cheap flights, avoiding tourist season, etc.). We would probably spend 10-14 days there, probably mostly in Tokyo (I've never been to Japan before, and neither has our mutual friend). This definitely won't be, like, a luxury vacation or anything, we'll probably share a room in mid-to-mid-low range hotels. All that being said, what would people recommend as far as timing? I figure late in the year will be busy just because that's when kids have time off in the U.S., but maybe not for going to Japan?

If you're around at the end of March you can catch the cherry blossoms.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Cabe made me drink baijiu and I still haven't forgiven this treachery

Harsh but fair, and also very true. Baijiu is a scourge.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

If you want a chain burger then mos or freshness are still better than mcd, also way less noisy than mcd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Counterpoint, being an adult who can choose to eat whatever they want in whatever country they're in is cool and good, because there's no country on earth that's only worth visiting because of its food.

(This extends to eating foreign foods in your home country because that's also an option!)

No