Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
you'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So, uh anything I should be concerned about as a US citizen traveling to China (and Tibet) in August? Going with a tour group to Tibet, which is what I am most concerned about. I am hoping they don't cancel/suspend permits for US citizens as part of the current diplomatic issues going on.

Should I just revert to my usual response to traveling in countries with hostile perceptions to the US and say that I am Canadian? The Chinese currently love the Canadians, right?

Nobody cares.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I was joking with the Canadian comment, but I am quasi concerned about the PRC putting arbitrary rules in place for American travelers; especially in regards to Tibet permits. I haven't read about anything specifically and I doubt that they really want to be portrayed as doing such. However I figured I would check from you folks over there regarding the regulatory climate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The government randomly restricts travel to Tibet but there's nothing you can do about it so I wouldn't waste the time worrying. None of the people you run into are going to give a poo poo.

If you end up in China and get owned you can travel around western Sichuan, which is Tibet but without all the rules. Part of the northern bit is still off limits to foreigners last I heard.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I was joking with the Canadian comment, but I am quasi concerned about the PRC putting arbitrary rules in place for American travelers; especially in regards to Tibet permits. I haven't read about anything specifically and I doubt that they really want to be portrayed as doing such. However I figured I would check from you folks over there regarding the regulatory climate.

Are you in a mainland organized tour? It's going to be as safe as a North Korean guided tour. You don't even have to present flower to Mao statue.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So, uh anything I should be concerned about as a US citizen traveling to China (and Tibet) in August? Going with a tour group to Tibet, which is what I am most concerned about. I am hoping they don't cancel/suspend permits for US citizens as part of the current diplomatic issues going on.

Should I just revert to my usual response to traveling in countries with hostile perceptions to the US and say that I am Canadian? The Chinese currently love the Canadians, right?

Nah, you might get asked about the trade war or what you think of Trump or whatever, but it's plain curiosity. Here is your two-step guide to avoiding problems:

1. Say "I hope everyone can come to an agreement". This works for everything: Taiwan, trade war, taxes, your boss being a dick, etc.
2. On the off-chance they push on a political issue, add "That's for the governments to decide, I'm just a [profession]."

Bam, done.

(Also, seriously, Americans faking being Canadians is the most obvious fakey-fake; American accents and voices are really distinctive)

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

coolusername posted:

Nah, you might get asked about the trade war or what you think of Trump or whatever, but it's plain curiosity. Here is your two-step guide to avoiding problems:

1. Say "I hope everyone can come to an agreement". This works for everything: Taiwan, trade war, taxes, your boss being a dick, etc.
2. On the off-chance they push on a political issue, add "That's for the governments to decide, I'm just a [profession]."

Bam, done.

(Also, seriously, Americans faking being Canadians is the most obvious fakey-fake; American accents and voices are really distinctive)

I like your thinking. The American way of doing things is to ram your obnoxious opinions down the throats of everyone you meet. If I am super polite and avoid confrontation, they will definitely believe the Canadian ruse.

quote:

Are you in a mainland organized tour? It's going to be as safe as a North Korean guided tour. You don't even have to present flower to Mao statue.
Yeah, booked out of Chengdu on the train.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 5, 2019

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

coolusername posted:

Bam, done.

This actually happened alot. Richard Baum, a Chinese history professor said he did it on his own lectures. This is of course until "Mr Tudou" hosed up Canada's gentle beaver image.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
If you agree with what the American govt does maybe you deserve to be harassed ??

Edit: not cheese master specifically hes prob a cool dude

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
So, two videos of tanks on the move. Some say it's to Shenzhen (close to HK), some say maybe Xiamen (close to Taiwan)

https://twitter.com/ux5zTomkQjkF7N4/status/1136439546428633088
https://twitter.com/c338ki_selina/status/1136265963857297408

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

that first video is in longhua for sure

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Second one is pretty clear

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
PLA do go on random maneuvers and sometimes are roaming in Hong Kong. I don’t think there’s anyone to subjugate though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Looking up that station name it looks like it’s in the middle of fujian province

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

coolusername posted:

Lol

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

sincx posted:

Uh, no, now is a terrible time to say you're Canadian. The PRC has finally figured out that Canada is just a US client state whose foreign policy is at the mercy of the US DOJ/Trump (e.g. Huawei arrest, USMCA forbidding Canada from signing a trade agreement with China).

Actually arresting crooks is cool and good, god bless america

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

Actually arresting crooks is cool and good, god bless america

the c-spam china thread leaks from time to time

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Seriously, American tourists walking around in Shanghai, fat as a depressed orca, wearing a bumbag and talking at 300 decibles with an accent like an antebellum loudspeaker and then saying they're from Caaaanada. It's a thing.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

coolusername posted:

Seriously, American tourists walking around in Shanghai, fat as a depressed orca, wearing a bumbag and talking at 300 decibles with an accent like an antebellum loudspeaker and then saying they're from Caaaanada. It's a thing.

the forums sure are lucky that we have you to let us know where they really are from

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Great Autismo! posted:

the forums sure are lucky that we have you to let us know where they really are from

Unlike your family! They are unlucky because you frequently abandon them to live in foreign countries

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

Unlike your family! They are unlucky because you frequently abandon them to live in foreign countries

I dunno, if I am half as bad as everyone thinks I am, I feel like I did them a great service

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Great Autismo! posted:

I dunno, if I am half as bad as everyone thinks I am, I feel like I did them a great service

You did.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Lol who'd visit Shanghai.

Like voluntarily.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

coolusername posted:

Is it a thing? I don't think the type of person you are describing would have China on their preferred list of vacation destinations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

lol at the idea of Americans being noticeably loud in China of all places.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

When I lived in Shanghai the only other Americans I saw where all professional types like me.

The cooler him young ones would hang out in some Lowai bars in Jingan but otherwise kept it low key.

I didn't see any obnoxious tourists (that weren't Chinese. Goddamn that fancy TV antenna).

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

lol at the idea of Americans being noticeably loud in China of all places.

I know, right?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Favorite American I met was in Beijing near the Mutianyu section of the wall. He was fat black guy and was just chilling on a section of stone. We'd talk about whatever in-between him getting the selfie with a foreigner treatment.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

TheReverend posted:

Favorite American I met was in Beijing near the Mutianyu section of the wall. He was fat black guy and was just chilling on a section of stone. We'd talk about whatever in-between him getting the selfie with a foreigner treatment.

Like... regularly? Does he live there?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Is it a thing? I don't think the type of person you are describing would have China on their preferred list of vacation destinations.

They probably got the China 7-day roundtrip package deal on slickdeals. It's a thing.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Also Bumbag lol wth

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Shanghai is fun and the food is good.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Shanghai ... food is good.

:thunkher:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
There’s every chance they were just dudes with tattoos

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

You should fly ana more that's badass

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sincx posted:

Ugh.... I just flew from HK to Kansai.

I was surrounded by Yakuza on the plane. Not joking. Scalp to toe, covered with tattoos. Three of them:

☠️💺☠️ (aisle) 😐💺☠️

Definitely did not expect that sort of excitement today.

Maybe I'll fly Cathay and not ANA next time.

how did you assert dominance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Sounds badass.