Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

The Saturn XXL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Nassau's revenge, surely.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

DrChud posted:

The Saturn XXL

For today's astronaut.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dogen posted:

Also doesn’t Saturn V + Saturn V = Saturn X?

No, it's Saturn VV

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Next up LEGO is doing a Challenger set with play features.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It is kind of strange that Mega Bloks did a rough yet still impressive minifigure-scale Space Shuttle way back when and Lego never answered with one of their own.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

The perpetual LEGO build.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Complete with faulty O-rings, made from the same rubber as our tires! Hey, did you know that LEGO makes the most tires of any..." :aaa:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does it include an engineer minifig screaming that it's too cold outside to launch and the o-rings are going to fail, but your mission control minifig launches anyway.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wait that happened? I didn't know that someone tried stopping it due to the weather. drat that's hosed, why did the mission continue?

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wait that happened? I didn't know that someone tried stopping it due to the weather. drat that's hosed, why did the mission continue?

Hubris. NASA's leaders literally thought they could do no wrong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

The o-rings had a lower temperature limit of 40 degrees F. Not that they would definitely fail, but they weren't tested at colder temperatures. NASA was obsessed with having a year with a certain number of shuttle launches to prove that it was safe and reusable. They kept pushing colder and colder launches while one of the engineers who worked on the SRB kept saying it was too dangerous. On the day of the Challenger launch, Florida had a cold snap and it dropped to 18 degrees. They didn't have any test data for a bunch of components for such a low temperature. They launched anyway and one of the o-rings in the SRB failed and it exploded.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Satin VV, which is Greek for 55

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Cojawfee posted:

Does it include an engineer minifig screaming that it's too cold outside to launch and the o-rings are going to fail, but your mission control minifig launches anyway.

Needs a Richard Feynman minifig with a hammer, a trans blue ore nugget for ice, and one of the technic rubber bands.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

veni veni veni posted:

Cool! How many pieces does it have?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

First of May posted:

Zero

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

First of May posted:

Thousands, but you'll have to travel to several locations in Texas to pick up each one.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Thousands, but you'll have to travel to several locations in Texas to pick up each one.

You're both wrong. It's actually a few dozen custom shrapnel pieces that you won't be able to use with any other set.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

That'd be the Columbia set. You'd need minifigures in scuba gear and salvage boats for the Challenger set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It is kind of strange that Mega Bloks did a rough yet still impressive minifigure-scale Space Shuttle way back when and Lego never answered with one of their own.

I can’t tell if you’re being facetious but... this?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just ordered Voltron, my first new set since sometime in the 90s, with all the ones I had long thrown out. Also that free rocket ride why not.

I feel giddy and also weird.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I meant one that'd be far larger.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Dr Christmas posted:

I just ordered Voltron, my first new set since sometime in the 90s, with all the ones I had long thrown out. Also that free rocket ride why not.

I feel giddy and also weird.

Thats the one that got me back into LEGO sets too, it’s a fun build and the variety of parts gives you a great idea of where LEGO is at these days with snot pieces and what not.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

For the lego online; how do backorders work with the "spend over x$ and get a bonus thing"? Those are time limited, so what happens if the thing I order doesn't come back into stock until after the promo period? Does one get put aside for whenever my order ships or something?

(Debating on getting the Y-Wing, but it's on backorder, I don't need it -right now- but I do want to make sure I get some little bonus with it or something if Im going to go through the trouble of getting direct from lego)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Oxyclean posted:

For the lego online; how do backorders work with the "spend over x$ and get a bonus thing"? Those are time limited, so what happens if the thing I order doesn't come back into stock until after the promo period? Does one get put aside for whenever my order ships or something?

(Debating on getting the Y-Wing, but it's on backorder, I don't need it -right now- but I do want to make sure I get some little bonus with it or something if Im going to go through the trouble of getting direct from lego)

They'll ship the bonus to you immediately.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Cojawfee posted:

They launched anyway and one of the o-rings in the SRB failed and it exploded.

space exploration pedantry: it didn't explode, the orbiter broke apart because the g-forces exceeded its load limit

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The SRB's did technically explode though, they were sent self destruct commands.

The "explosion" that most of us remember was caused by fuel leaking. Inside that cloud the shuttle was getting torn apart because it was near the limits of air pressure it could handle and as soon as things started twisting it tore apart.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cloks posted:

They'll ship the bonus to you immediately.

Not in my experience. They put the bonus aside and ship it with the back ordered main item.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Not in my experience. They put the bonus aside and ship it with the back ordered main item.

I think if any part of your order is ready to ship, they ship it and include the bonus, then ship the rest later.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cojawfee posted:

I think if any part of your order is ready to ship, they ship it and include the bonus, then ship the rest later.

I've gotten a package with just a bonus in the mail so it seems inconsistent.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That'd be the Columbia set. You'd need minifigures in scuba gear and salvage boats for the Challenger set.

Ahh that's right, my mistake. Either way I can't wait for both to come out.

For the Challenger set they could just release the iconic cloud plume it left behind but built up in LEGO.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I vastly prefer realistic classic space like this over those new futuristic city stuff they have now. To bad it will not come back

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hopper posted:

I vastly prefer realistic classic space like this over those new futuristic city stuff they have now. To bad it will not come back

But... they literally just released an Apollo 11 lander? :confused:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yes and I will buy it. But the new city space stuff is all smoke an mirrors. None of those are real and it all looks like babies first scifi the martian ripoff.

It's like they are trying to make scifi space without doing full on scifi because they cant due to that star wars license banning all other scifi rumor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That rumor has been debunked time and time again. We had Space and Star Wars running concurrently not even that long ago. The real answer is that City stuff is cyclical (we had another City Space subtheme a couple years ago) and Ninjago is more popular than another Space Police or Classic Space.

And as for how the new Space sets look, these are meant to be children’s toys first and foremost. I think they look fine :shrug:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

The story is incredibly depressing.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/21/470870426/challenger-engineer-who-warned-of-shuttle-disaster-dies

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:smith:

Please tell me people got prison sentences for this level of irresponsibility.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

s.i.r.e. posted:

:smith:

Please tell me people got prison sentences for this level of irresponsibility.

Prison sentences for corporate and government irresponsibility leading to loss of life? This isn't Soviet Russia, tovarisch.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Everybody go watch Chernobyl on HBO.

Edit: BRB, Gonna go build a RBMK reactor MOC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Stupid question alert: does the Lunar Lander qualify for the little space ride freebie or is it a dollar short?

I assume this is LEGO store only? Not anywhere?