Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Not in Australia.

loving worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I've hit the DLC for Bloodborne and some of these bosses are tough. I'm currently hitting a wall with Laurence the first vicar who I can barely get down to 75% health before I'm brutally murdered.

Running back to him sucks too as I have to wait for some doors to slowly open each time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hes like the extra special gently caress you boss iirc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hadn't heard there was a new Uchikoshi game coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzNtwA1mxFM

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Real hurthling! posted:

Hes like the extra special gently caress you boss iirc

Yeah, he's "optional", but you get a cool thing for beating him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qAKYClCm44 this episode of prepare to try ends with him basically crying, it's a pretty great example of Soulsborne's capability to make you truly feel whatever emotion, like, he's almost crying out of relief, but it's hard to say. It's pretty funny regardless.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Definitely worth playing with the caveat that the combat system is a bit awkward
Combat was the one part of it I didn't have a major problem with. The story is some hacked up bullshit unlike anything I can remember, anytime you go inside a cave or something, navigation and enemy targeting becomes terrible, and there were a few times where its quest instructions are so confusing that it might as well just be lying to you.

I should have listened to the voice in my head that said that after 13, Final Fantasy will never be for me again.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Combat was the one part of it I didn't have a major problem with. The story is some hacked up bullshit unlike anything I can remember, anytime you go inside a cave or something, navigation and enemy targeting becomes terrible, and there were a few times where its quest instructions are so confusing that it might as well just be lying to you.

I should have listened to the voice in my head that said that after 13, Final Fantasy will never be for me again.

Dont get me wrong I'm only a very casual ff fan but 15 did a lot right for me, the world felt good to explore, great presentation, tie ins to the series that left a smile, likeable characters but then the battles started and i felt like closing my eyes and tapping circle was more effective than anything else, it was just bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Post that will never ever get old for me:

“The combat is bad, and I know this because I never engaged with it”

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The spell system in ffxv is so lazy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

The summons are so loving awesome, though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I wish they happened more

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Neat!

And just in case someone forgot, Capcom is still doing their thing too, DMCV and RE2MAKE are in their albums.

Real hurthling! posted:

Let's go back to FFVIII but add friendly fire for no loving reason

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Whoa this owns

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mr Snips posted:

I've hit the DLC for Bloodborne and some of these bosses are tough. I'm currently hitting a wall with Laurence the first vicar who I can barely get down to 75% health before I'm brutally murdered.

Running back to him sucks too as I have to wait for some doors to slowly open each time.

He was by far the toughest boss in the entire game for me precisely because of that final phase. If you have high Arcane or Bloodtinge try to take him out at range when he's in this phase or else equip whatever runes give you extra bloodvials. I was all melee and just barely squeaked by his last phase because there's no good way to stay in close to him without taking a lot of damage. If you're primarily melee then try to equip and upgrade the longest range trick weapon you have.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Every time I boot up FFXV, and it's rare that I do because installing it takes up almost a quarter of my HDD space, I just can't help but think I'd rather be playing Nier, like, the combat is too slow, and I really can't see myself ever getting invested into any of the characters, the writing seems like it came out of a machine where you just dump 200 generic JRPGs into a program and it poops out a script. And the English dub matches how stupid the lines are, so I guess they did fine with that, but I don't think they could get more generic. There's the prince who's like, got a beautiful wife, and is a god drat prince, but almost every cutscene so far has been like, 'People Just Don't Understand How Hard It Is To Be Me,' there's the generic buff, strong dude who's just competent but I guess is less annoying because he talks less, the posh English guy who's cultured, and the bumbling idiot, or am I getting it mixed up? Either way, it's just sort of bizarre how the first few lines 2B says in Nier, even the first line she says, is more interesting than the entire like 3 hours of FFXV I've played. But also the combat could be fine if I could get over the dialogue, and the world actually seems interesting, but you're sent out into the loving desert immediately and it's so bland, it's mad how many stupid decisions they made making this game. Like it might get cooler later, in a way that's sort of just mindless, and I'm enjoying the graphics and the spectacle, but I get the urge to play it every now and then and I just can't. I mentioned Nier tho, because the action feels sluggish, and isn't interesting enough otherwise to justify compromising the action for the RPG elements and vice versa, so it just makes me want to play Nier if I'm going to play an action JRPG.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Nier is another game that could have been a 10/10 to me if the combat wasn't so dull.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The pro slim doesn’t have a digital/optical out port. Not a big deal for 95% of folks, but can be a game changer depending on your headset

I know USB soundcards/headsets work with the PS4: Does anybody know whether some USB soundcards with an optical out work as well?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr Snips posted:

That last phase is crazy yeah. I know this might be obvious but if you haven't, have you tried playing very aggressively with say the hunter axe or other stuff/runes/etc. that improve how much lost life you regain from attacks? That seems to work better for a lot of people. IIRC even if your arcane stat is low if it's high enough to use the Blacksky Eye that's still useful against him fore a little free damage. In general once he loses his leg I think it's a lot better to stay to one side of him than to try to get behind him. And when he starts slashing+crawling right at you I just run to the furhest corner from him and then run in a wide arc away as I only really went in after one particular swipe he does where he kind of holds his head for a little bit after.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you can’t navigate his butt lava, fire resist runes and gear are helpful

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I've got him down to about 10% on one attempt now so I think I could do it if I don't take too much damage in the first phase.

I tried summoning help earlier but I sat waiting outside the fog door for about 5 minutes without anyone showing up, looks like I'll have to do it solo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Borderlands' gameplay really doesn't hold up any more, geez

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

So just like how it was in 2009 then.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neo Rasa posted:

So just like how it was in 2009 then.

lol

I had a good time with BL1 and 2 but Pre-sequel really isn't doing anything for me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Hadn't heard there was a new Uchikoshi game coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzNtwA1mxFM

Wait is this like mostly visual novel sort of content with some occasional menu battle stuff? What's the ratio because that sort of menu brawling kind of thing, I mean I can't explain why but I loving love it, Dark Savior, Hybrid Heaven, etc.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

RBA Starblade posted:

The humor can be so bad at times. Plus, I don't even think Loot is player specific so if you are playing with randoms, someone can just take loot that you want.

I was also hilariously out of touch when I played the Pre-sequel because I got about halfway through that game until I realized that I was playing as the bad guys the whole time. To my credit, I never even touched Borderlands 2 before I played it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

FFXV is one of my favorite endings in all of video games. It ties a seemingly unconnected mechanic in and makes it extra good.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I guess it leaked that Destiny 2 is going Free To Play once the new expansion releases.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

I guess it leaked that Destiny 2 is going Free To Play once the new expansion releases.

That is awesome! More people to play with :D

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
FFXV is one of those extremely strange games where the story and combat are both mediocre at best, but the actual game is pretty fun despite that. It's a good game for relaxing and road trippin with the boys, it gets pretty bad if you start expecting more from it than that.

That said, I think DQ11 is just as pleasant and relaxing and is also an actual good game as well, so maybe just play that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Crows Turn Off posted:

this is real good if they include Forsaken, because Forsaken is the best thing that ever happened to Destiny and is worth playing through even if you played vanilla and hated it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

this is real good if they include Forsaken, because Forsaken is the best thing that ever happened to Destiny and is worth playing through even if you played vanilla and hated it.
Supposedly all of Destiny 2 Year 1 and no more platform-exclusive content.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'll hold you to that

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nier is another game that could have been a 10/10 to me if the combat wasn't so dull.

I would think it was maybe not as great as it could've been had I not seen stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELOdgQHWxnU that show how complex the combat is. Like, you can loving parry, I had no idea, at 27:40 he shows and explains how it's done (it's the counter chip, which I misunderstood, and I'm guessing they didn't explain it too thoroughly because so many people already had a hard time understanding the chip system.. The game does do a pretty incredible job of not having tutorials really, while also being easy to understand and always moving forward with important plot points while it teaches you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
According to the more expansive leak, it does not include Forsaken. I guess that expansion retroactively becomes the first of the paid content drops under the new system. It's still really good though!

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I had a moment like this finishing the platinum in Spiderman. I'd spent the whole game swinging around the city, grabbed all of the backpacks and landmarks in the first 10 hours, but it wasn't until I took three city district by district and slowed down while I wandered around, catching the secret photo ops when they showed up and waiting for crimes to happen, that I really appreciated the detail of the city and how much work went into all of the design and the crowds on the streets. I'm playing Witcher 3 right now and it's hard to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the scenery instead of just ping ponging between quests.

This is an old lost but it touches on something I have been thinking a great deal about lately.

Over time video games have become what I like to think of as "passively immersive", as opposed to earlier video games which were what I would consider to be "actively immersive".

The difference between the two types of immersion is pretty straightforward, active immersion is things in the game that either impact your objectives or compel you to interact with them in some way, and passive immersion is things that are just happening in the background that you have no reason or ability to interact with. An old-school Megaman game would be actively immersive because there's literally nothing occurring on screen that doesn't impact your decisions or actions in some way, where has the modern Assassin's Creed... Well there's just a ton ton ton things going on in the detailed environment, but none of it matters, very little of it can be interacted with, and worst of all and none of it really distinguishes itself from identical content in the game. (e.g. basically every beach in AC: Black Flag is beautiful and perfect, every port easily accessed, etc)

In modern AAA video games you are just inundated with a huge array of visual and audio information, and you're psychologically filtering it down to the two or three bits of information on the screen that actually matter. As a result you're mostly just kind of breezily going through these Virtual Worlds without needing to really be aware of the surrounding environment.

Compounding the problem with not needing to pay attention to the environment, modern video games frequently do everything but play the game for you. Rather than feeling like a grand Adventure, the experience has been reduced to a series of bite-sized tasks* the player is encouraged to complete as quickly as possible.

*that are often virtually indistinguishable from each other.

Personally I have found that if you do a few things to reduce passive immersion and increase active immersion, then games become much much much much more satisfied. For example in Witcher 3 I cranked the difficulty all the way to max and (most critically) I turned off the minimap and swore off fast travel in all but the most extreme examples.

Needing to be able to remember what the world of The Witcher looks like so that I could mentally navigate my way through it dramatically increased my active immersion, astad having to factor in distance and travel time when making my decisions on what to do next. Not relying on the map made finding/exploring side areas on the map immensely satisfy. As instead of mindlessly following the mini-map breadcrumb trail to a white "?", I was looking at ruins in the distance and wondering if there was anything their and thinking about how I could navigate my way over to said ruins.

While my play through took almost three times as long as my roommates, and resulted in me finding significantly less cool gear, the amount of satisfaction I pulled from the experience was just a way way beyond anything my roommate got out of the game

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Forsaken saved Destiny 2 in a big way. It added enough content that you could really start to build your own gameplay loops and get good loot feedback.

I can’t speak to the console gunplay but it’s the best shootmans I play on PC

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Mr Snips posted:

I've got him down to about 10% on one attempt now so I think I could do it if I don't take too much damage in the first phase.

I tried summoning help earlier but I sat waiting outside the fog door for about 5 minutes without anyone showing up, looks like I'll have to do it solo.

Set online to "Worldwide" in the online settings menu and wait about ten minutes maybe? If I remember right I beat him with an NPC summon, I think. Either ways I'm utter garbage and did it second attempt about a month ago, and there were plenty of people helping throughout the game, even in the chalice dungeons, save for that one custom dungeon I wandered into when I didn't know what I was doing and ended up having a group of 3 NPC hunters rolling with me which was awesome. Poor guys all got taken out one-by-one while fighting the boss, though :smith:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Oh thank god. That is amazing.

Edit: Also XV is cool and good.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

blackguy32 posted:

The humor can be so bad at times. Plus, I don't even think Loot is player specific so if you are playing with randoms, someone can just take loot that you want.

I was also hilariously out of touch when I played the Pre-sequel because I got about halfway through that game until I realized that I was playing as the bad guys the whole time. To my credit, I never even touched Borderlands 2 before I played it.
While I'm not particularly enjoying Borderlands 2, it was a nice surprise to find split-screen local co-op included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Mr Snips posted:

I missed this, but if you're still trying in the next few hours, I'm sure one of my 10 characters is around the same level as you and hasn't beaten Laurence yet, so I'd be glad to help. I'll set my password to "goons" and set up by the fog wall shortly, anyways, but yeah let me know.

edit: holy poo poo, Sekiro has made Bloodborne kind of difficult :/ I just beat Mergo's Wet Nurse with only 4 blood vials yet, but one I get used to it I should be able to contribute some help, this is one of my actual pure arcane builds, too.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 6, 2019