Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

VH4Ever posted:

Why do you think Inslee is pushing so hard to host his own debate, if need be?

He should. The establishment has only establishment interests at heart. If there were a way to get people to focus on what Warren's policies were instead of how much they'd like to get a beer with Biden, then that's what we should be focused on. I don't know how effective that will end up being. Mostly I'm just advocating for an end to the 2-year president-a-thon we do in this country because I think it's functionally useless to everyone but media shareholders. The voters who want to know policy get nothing from it. The voters who don't give a poo poo don't watch it. The candidates are forced to speak in inhuman rhythms to avoid becoming memes, etc..

So if Inslee's got an idea to stage an actual conversation that isn't beholden to the warped Miss America thing we have now, I hope he does it.

Prester Jane posted:

Individuals like the one you were responding to absolutely do not understand what leadership is either. They think leaders exist to enable the crowd to move in the direction the crowd has decided to go, and that's just not how Humanity Works, has ever worked, or will ever work until such time as humanity has evolved into a state of pure energy.

This is uh, quite a reach based on misunderstanding my point. I tend to agree with you most of the time. But to be clear no, I don't think that. I think that leadership should take chances and push people towards ideals and should inspire people who otherwise wouldn't care into actions they otherwise wouldn't take. Traingulating gets us nothing but underwhelming technocrats.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Data Graham posted:

What is planet earth

An extremely temporary spike in physical complexity. Don't worry, it's about to sort itself out.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ershalim posted:

This is uh, quite a reach based on misunderstanding my point. I tend to agree with you most of the time. But to be clear no, I don't think that. I think that leadership should take chances and push people towards ideals and should inspire people who otherwise wouldn't care into actions they otherwise wouldn't take. Traingulating gets us nothing but underwhelming technocrats.

You're right, I did misread you. I apologize for that.

The attitude I was criticizing in my post is very real*- but that's not what you were actually saying and I jumped the gun there and went aggro for no good reason. I do apologize again for that.

*and to be honest I've been looking for an excuse to wail on that particular nail and I need to check myself a bit.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Prester Jane posted:

You're right, I did misread you. I apologize for that.

The attitude I was criticizing in my post is very real*- but that's not what you were actually saying and I jumped the gun there and went aggro for no good reason. I do apologize again for that.

*and to be honest I've been looking for an excuse to wail on that particular nail and I need to check myself a bit.

Oh it's fine, you're right that that's a through-line in US politics, and I definitely could have been clearer to start with. What you're railing against is kind of the reason Pelosi is so obnoxious to most of us, despite being effective at keeping the caucus in line for stuff like the protections of the dreamers and getting the ACA through. She just doesn't, ever, put herself out in front and say, "we need to do this because it's the right thing to do" unless she's absolutely sure people are already there.

Being a little yelly and jumping the gun is ultimately a good thing here. It lets the laggy-rear end political triangulation operators know that there are people in that direction, should they ever feel up to joining us.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Petr posted:

An extremely temporary spike in physical complexity. Don't worry, it's about to sort itself out.

I know you're just being glib, but from a pure physics standpoint, this is wrong. Life is shockingly good at creating entropy.

Even at the human scale, this pans out. If you compare the amount of "organisation" we've brought to the table to the amount of entropy we created by simply converting highly-organized fossil deposits into loose CO2, the local universe is most likely more disorganized because of our presence. And creating these deposits in the first place also increased entropy via photosynthesis.

If the universe was actively searching for a way to reach its heat death as fast as possible, coming up with life like we have on earth would be a great strategy.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 6, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Aramis posted:

If the universe was actively searching for a way to reach its heat death as fast as possible, coming up with life like we have on earth would be a great strategy.
If we don't eventually blow up the universe I will be very disappointed in the human race.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bubbacub posted:

I still can't get over that this is how the president of the USA talks.

I can't get over how that is how he thinks economies work

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Bubbacub posted:

I still can't get over that this is how the president of the USA talks.

I can't get over the fact that he's set the bar so low that if he does the absolute most basic function of his job without making GBS threads himself, the media blows him for days.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Aramis posted:

I know you're just being glib, but from a pure physics standpoint, this is wrong. Life is sockingly good at creating entropy.

Even at the human scale, this pans out. If you compare the amount of "organisation" we've brought to the table to the amount of entropy we created by simply converting highly-organized fossil deposits into loose CO2, the local universe is most likely more disorganized because of our presence. And creating these deposits in the first place also increased entropy via photosynthesis.

This is actually the essence of a recent theory I read about -- that the formation of life may be favorable from a universal perspective because it increases (overall) entropy faster than abiotic processes.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/first-support-for-a-physics-theory-of-life-20170726/

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

DarkHorse posted:

I can't get over how that is how he thinks anything work

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I can't get over the fact that he's set the bar so low that if he does the absolute most basic function of his job without making GBS threads himself, the media blows him for days.

He literally read works off a prompter and people like Joe Scarborough who calls him a threat to the republic every morning was filleting him lol

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DarkHorse posted:

I can't get over how that is how he thinks economies work

he's defensive about getting ripped off because he himself conceptualizes business deals as something which only generates profit when he defrauds, takes advantage of, or otherwise screws someone else

in the art of the deal it's pretty clear that the only way trump was ever briefly successful at real estate tycoonery was by taking advantage of new york property tax abatements. and then in the decades since as his personal fortunes have cratered he's been getting hosed left and right from his own combative incompetence, which he interprets as people unfairly loving him, the protagonist of reality

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Aramis posted:

I know you're just being glib, but from a pure physics standpoint, this is wrong. Life is sockingly good at creating entropy.

This was the background behind one of the recent Dan Brown books.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

What in the gently caress is this moron even prattling on about? Like it really is incredible to be reminded how truly loving stupid he is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

he is pissed that the senate doesn't want to play the tarrif game anymore and is telling them they are wrong.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1136632481870991360?s=20

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If we don't eventually blow up the universe I will be very disappointed in the human race.

That would be really rad. But

Okay, listen. I have a phD in theoretical astrophysics. And I can tell you, the amount of energy needed to blow up the universe is really, really big. Just from some rough calculations, it would require the equivalent of over 100,000 Hiroshimas (if you can wrap your head around that). I don't think its going to happen.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Calibanibal posted:

Okay, listen. I have a phD in theoretical astrophysics. And I can tell you, the amount of energy needed to blow up the universe is really, really big. Just from some rough calculations, it would require the equivalent of over 100,000 Hiroshimas (if you can wrap your head around that). I don't think its going to happen.

So what you're saying is that some other race is going to beat us to destroying the universe first?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just... how do conservatives not literally die from the sheer exhaustion of just being so scared and angry at everything at all times?

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1136439168907845632

:lol:

It's not even our own created system you stupid fucks. The Romans invented it and the British passed it to us. :psyduck:

Jesus christ American regressives are the most stupid fucks on Earth. "Hey while we are at it did you know zero is actually a number made up by the Middle East and India? That's not as good American number! Let's get rid of zero and go back to Roman numerals!" :shepface:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 6, 2019

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

So what you're saying is that some other race is going to beat us to destroying the universe first?

As long as they do it with enough Cobra Commander-like cackling, I wouldn't even be mad.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Good news

https://mobile.twitter.com/JustinElliott/status/1136051903203336193

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

From several pages ago, but I kind of agree with this and my cuz who works for a major climate activism non-profit says they do too.

If the climate crisis is relegated to a debate, then it opens up candidates to say "I already talked about it" and ignore it as a subject in future debates and platform conversations. The winning strategy would be to force candidates to recognize the intersectionality (I know I'm appropriating this word) of climate with jobs, with the student debt crises, with national security and have it be a part of every debate and forum.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Calibanibal posted:

Huh? 100,000 hiroshimas doesn't sound NEARLY enough to me. Hiroshima is not even a blip to the universe, at that scale its literally unnoticable. I dont think 100,000 hiroshimas would even do much to the sun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rigel posted:

Huh? 100,000 hiroshimas doesn't sound NEARLY enough to me. Hiroshima is not even a blip to the universe, at that scale its literally unnoticable. I dont think 100,000 hiroshimas would even do much to the sun.

Yeah, you'd more like need Tsar Bomba level power, not Hiroshima levels of power.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rigel posted:

Do you think that perhaps 150,000 hiroshimas might be enough?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Rigel posted:

I mean, isn’t the sun constantly producing reactions much, much more violent than Hiroshima literally all the time?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A super nova is like a quadrillion (give or take an order of magnitude) Hiroshima bombs and that only takes out a solar system...

The amount of energy it would take to theoretically blow up the universe would be like a googleplex of Hiroshima bombs.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 6, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just take the lid back off Chernobyl, the universe will be gone in a matter of months

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/WaywardWinifred/status/1136619581693485057

Lol Politico is such a pile of poo poo. Invited by workers apparently means uninvited lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Leon Sumbitches posted:

From several pages ago, but I kind of agree with this and my cuz who works for a major climate activism non-profit says they do too.

If the climate crisis is relegated to a debate, then it opens up candidates to say "I already talked about it" and ignore it as a subject in future debates and platform conversations. The winning strategy would be to force candidates to recognize the intersectionality (I know I'm appropriating this word) of climate with jobs, with the student debt crises, with national security and have it be a part of every debate and forum.

They're not going to do that either

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Why isn't this word spelled "firey"? The English language is weird.

Because it's a cannibalistic homunculus of a language.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rigel posted:

Calibanibal claims another victim.

e: Make that several victims.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

TurboTax 2019 Edition: Only $799.99 per filing!

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

It's not even our own created system you stupid fucks. The Romans invented it and the British passed it to us. :psyduck:

Jesus christ American regressives are the most stupid fucks on Earth. "Hey while we are at it did you know zero is actually a number made up by the Middle East and India? That's not as good American number! Let's get rid of zero and go back to Roman numerals!" :shepface:

This is some Veep poo poo.

Jonah Ryan for President

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I'm really happy about this as a tax accountant. What they did was criminal. Now, the government is free to make their own free file software instead of letting intuit trick customers.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/WaywardWinifred/status/1136619581693485057

Lol Politico is such a pile of poo poo. Invited by workers apparently means uninvited lol

Employees don't count as people, duh.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
An Olympic swimming pool of hiroshima explosions

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

skeleton warrior posted:

Why the gently caress are all the brokebrains in this thread reading “Jay Inslee is angry that as a single issue candidate, the DNC won’t let him have a special debate all about his single issue” as “the DNC is forbidding any discussion of climate change at any of the 12 debates it is sponsoring”?

The DNC didn't just refuse to sponsor a debate on the issue of climate change; they said (according to Jay Inslee, anyway) that any candidate who participates in a non-DNC climate debate will be barred from the official Democratic debates. Can you think of any reason they'd do that, other than to suppress discussion of climate change? Cause I sure can't.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just imagine Bernie kicking down the door to a bunch of CEOs in a meeting and acting like Matt Damon and Ben Affleck in Dogma now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Pussy Boss posted:

The DNC didn't just refuse to sponsor a debate on the issue of climate change; they said (according to Jay Inslee, anyway) that any candidate who participates in a non-DNC climate debate will be barred from the official Democratic debates. Can you think of any reason they'd do that, other than to suppress discussion of climate change? Cause I sure can't.

I thought that was standard practice, at least in 2016. Not that "you can't participate in non-DNC climate debates or you are out", but rather "you can't participate in ANY non-DNC debates or you are out". Same with RNC.