Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nep-Nep posted:

I enjoy the garbage levels by pretending I'm playing levels from alternate universe Mario games where the series just totally went to poo poo early on, and that's good amusement for me in small doses.

Thank you for this, I'm now going to be able to at least passably enjoy probably 40% of the garbage levels :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I also wonder if you can stack anything on him or put him on anything. With how dynamic he is I feel like he'd just leap off of a enemies head and become normal or something.

Apparently stacking doesn’t work at all in 3D Land.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Nep-Nep posted:

I enjoy the garbage levels by pretending I'm playing levels from alternate universe Mario games where the series just totally went to poo poo early on, and that's good amusement for me in small doses.

In that universe Sonic Odyssey is selling gangbusters

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zelder posted:

In that universe Sonic Odyssey is selling gangbusters

Also, Gangbusters never stopped making films after 1989, and there is currently a very successful Gangbusters Cinematic Universe.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Apparently if your level has a clear condition it can’t have checkpoints so that just increases the likelihood that I’ll be skipping those as soon as I see them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

Apparently if your level has a clear condition it can’t have checkpoints so that just increases the likelihood that I’ll be skipping those as soon as I see them.

I actually think the clear conditions will allow a whole new layer to puzzle levels, as always for better or for worse.

I'm picturing a level starting near the flag/tape/ending block from SMB3, and it's impassable. There's a door nearby in front of what looks like a mushroom house. The player has to go on a hunt for # coins in that 'building' and then they'd need to backtrack and leave, and then they can properly exit the level.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
At the very least, levels with clear conditions should display exactly what those clear conditions are at the start of the level. Otherwise, expect a lot of getting to the end of a level with no way to go back and see "Clear Condition: collect 1 coin, you know, the one coin in the entire level that was in plain view behind the starting line that nobody would care about otherwise HAHAHA gently caress YOU."

Also, get ready for levels with clear conditions of like "collect 100 coins" with exactly 99 coins out in the open and a single coin in an invisible block somewhere.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah it shows the clear condition when you start the level

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

At the very least, levels with clear conditions should display exactly what those clear conditions are at the start of the level. Otherwise, expect a lot of getting to the end of a level with no way to go back and see "Clear Condition: collect 1 coin, you know, the one coin in the entire level that was in plain view behind the starting line that nobody would care about otherwise HAHAHA gently caress YOU."

Also, get ready for levels with clear conditions of like "collect 100 coins" with exactly 99 coins out in the open and a single coin in an invisible block somewhere.

From all of the 'hot garbage' I've seen on youtube so far, playing through a level like that would be the least of my worries.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Never underestimate the limitless cruelty of a million+ anonymous children.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So hey, does anybody know if we can spawn empty shells into levels or can we only spawn turtles?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

GreatGreen posted:

So hey, does anybody know if we can spawn empty shells into levels or can we only spawn turtles?

koopa shells no but you can spawn empty buzzy beatle shells, but those can also be used as power-ups. Depending on what you're trying that might be an issue.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

koopa shells no but you can spawn empty buzzy beatle shells, but those can also be used as power-ups. Depending on what you're trying that might be an issue.

Basically I think it would be cool to setup situations where you're given a shell and have to do one of those "grab shell, jump, throw shell against a wall and bounce off it in the air to jump really high over some wall" type moves. It would be more convenient to just get the shell first thing instead of having to eject the turtle from it first.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

Basically I think it would be cool to setup situations where you're given a shell and have to do one of those "grab shell, jump, throw shell against a wall and bounce off it in the air to jump really high over some wall" type moves. It would be more convenient to just get the shell first thing instead of having to eject the turtle from it first.

I seem to be incapable of pulling that move off. All of those mid air object jump techs everyone has latched onto are pretty annoying.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Hell, I'm sick of the abundance of spin jumps. Oh look, you have to spin jump here and bounce off of a bunch of enemies. And then do it a few more times in the level as well. Wow, that's so original! Keep putting that into every level! I think there was a video posted here about the differences between Mario Maker and the source games, and one of the examples was how many more enemies Mario could spin jump off of in Mario Maker vs Mario Word. It's not hard or anything, it's just so drat overused and unoriginal.

But maybe it's just me. I mostly made traditional style levels. Typical Mario games don't expect you to use tricks like that all over the place. Maybe to get to a secret or a requirement in a later "challenge" level, but not all over the place just to make it through a level.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I seem to be incapable of pulling that move off. All of those mid air object jump techs everyone has latched onto are pretty annoying.

I can't do it moving forward yet but I can if I have the space to stand still. You have to do it real close to the wall, like the shell needs to be about 3/4ths of a Mario away from the wall and you have to release it at the right time, usually right around the apex of your jump.

I've actually had fun practicing. In MM1, I setup a pipe to output infinite turtles and a wall close by that I can only jump over by getting the shell jump right. It's been fun practicing, and it's such a pro-move that getting it right really makes you feel cool.

It's actually really fun setting up technique practice courses like that. I wish we could setup those levels with no timer and practice with no time pressure.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 6, 2019

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

GreatGreen posted:

Mario maker 1 you could sneakily do that

🦷🐢
💣🧱
🧱

🦷=muncher

That set up will drop a turtle shell to use

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want a blitzkrieg mario maker 2

https://pokyfriends.com/bkmario/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't understand what this site is about.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand what this site is about.

It's for Mario Maker 1. It tells you which tools your allowed to use, and which 4 of them should be "featured" the most. Goal is to build a stage with what it rolls for you.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Remember there is a Downvote option now. So if you don't like a level, you can downvote it, so it will come up less for other people.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What features would you want from this?

(I'm afraid Dr. DOS never PMd me back.)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

MonsterEnvy posted:

Remember there is a Downvote option now. So if you don't like a level, you can downvote it, so it will come up less for other people.

Along the same lines, you don’t have a limit on likes you can give out so don’t feel like a level has to rock your world to earn one. As long as the creator put some effort in and didn’t actively try to make it unfun I try to show some love which helps decent levels show up more for other players.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DalaranJ posted:

What features would you want from this?

(I'm afraid Dr. DOS never PMd me back.)

Honestly just hoping for it to be updated with all the new tools that's all :v:
I had fun making a few courses in the tail end based off what it gave me.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

GI_Clutch posted:

Hell, I'm sick of the abundance of spin jumps. Oh look, you have to spin jump here and bounce off of a bunch of enemies. And then do it a few more times in the level as well. Wow, that's so original! Keep putting that into every level! I think there was a video posted here about the differences between Mario Maker and the source games, and one of the examples was how many more enemies Mario could spin jump off of in Mario Maker vs Mario Word. It's not hard or anything, it's just so drat overused and unoriginal.

But maybe it's just me. I mostly made traditional style levels. Typical Mario games don't expect you to use tricks like that all over the place. Maybe to get to a secret or a requirement in a later "challenge" level, but not all over the place just to make it through a level.

When was the last time you played Mario World because you can spin jump off literally everything in that game, including multiple things that kill you in Mario Maker. The main difference between the two is that when you spin jump off an enemy in World you get way less height.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
But your initial spin jump was much higher

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love spin jumping, but my favorite is when you spin jump off of several enemies in a row where instead of bouncing off, they fuckin explode, and you fall down slightly slower. I love putting in a level a small segment where you bounce off a spiny or something then cascade down a stairway of goombas.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy gently caress, I can't wait for this game, and I wish journalists were given copies already and were showing a ton of previews. I'm at the point now where, I don't know who's footage I keep seeing, but I've practically memorized it.

Yeah, yeah, the three goombas in the SMB1 sky level... player loses his super power up from hitting one, before he stomps on all of them, gotcha.

:negative: It's almost like what Tim Rogers said, except I don't want to see 15 minutes of Mario Maker 2. I want to see 1,000 hours of Mario Maker 2 (when I'm at work and can't play it).

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Artix posted:

When was the last time you played Mario World because you can spin jump off literally everything in that game, including multiple things that kill you in Mario Maker. The main difference between the two is that when you spin jump off an enemy in World you get way less height.

It turns out the video I was referencing (from this thread) was the differences between NSMBU and Mario Maker.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Reminder that the Mario Maker Invitational is tomorrow. I doubt they'll show off any new functionality (drat it Nintendo quit pretending we don't know about the hammer) but it'll be a good chance to see some of the new stuff in action I'm sure.

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1134580593784700928

I don't know most of these people but I enjoy Feeney's 100 Mario streams.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Where the gently caress is John Numbers

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just realized this game comes out THIS MONTH and got very happy. Perfect thing to wind down with after a stressful moving process is over.:unsmith:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The last Mario Maker championship was incredibly entertaining, although that was also the first time we got a taste of what was really possible. Hopefully we will see some new features in the championship to keep it spicy, even if they don't elaborate on the new things until the Direct.

I'd bet money the first round is four player with only the winner moving on just to show that off, though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
One thing I’m relieved about (as somebody who didn’t play Mario Maker 1 until just recently) is that Mario actually feels good to control in all modes. I know that should seem obvious, but Mario seemed kinda sluggish to me in New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, like he took forever to get up to full running speed.

For anybody curious, Mario feels zippy and responsive in Mario Maker.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'd bet money the first round is four player with only the winner moving on just to show that off, though.

They've posted the format:

quote:

Round One
The four players will each compete in timed speed runs.

Round Two
Players will split into teams of two and work together to complete the course. The winning team will move onto the Finals.

Finals
The remaining two players will face off in three objective-based mini-courses and one final course to determine the champion.

I don't know what the point of round 1 is if the finals are only based on round 2. I guess it would decide the teams?

GreatGreen posted:

One thing I’m relieved about (as somebody who didn’t play Mario Maker 1 until just recently) is that Mario actually feels good to control in all modes. I know that should seem obvious, but Mario seemed kinda sluggish to me in New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, like he took forever to get up to full running speed.

For anybody curious, Mario feels zippy and responsive in Mario Maker.
I thought all modes in Mario Maker used the same physics as NSMBU?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Round one winners may get a head start in round two

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

J-Spot posted:

They've posted the format:

Ah, cool. At least there's some multiplayer in there so I wasn't completely off base. Hopefully they'll show off how easy it is to just get in each other's way and provide the comedy we desire.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

GreatGreen posted:

I can't do it moving forward yet but I can if I have the space to stand still. You have to do it real close to the wall, like the shell needs to be about 3/4ths of a Mario away from the wall and you have to release it at the right time, usually right around the apex of your jump.

I've actually had fun practicing. In MM1, I setup a pipe to output infinite turtles and a wall close by that I can only jump over by getting the shell jump right. It's been fun practicing, and it's such a pro-move that getting it right really makes you feel cool.

It's actually really fun setting up technique practice courses like that. I wish we could setup those levels with no timer and practice with no time pressure.

Please don't upload any courses like this. There were HUNDREDS of courses like these in SMM1. It would suck to be going through 100 Man and get "alright now do ten shell jumps in a row THAT'S THE LEVEL."

As someone who's done 100 normal and expert runs and 50 super expert runs, here's some things I just never want to see again:

* Spike Mazes
* Spin jumping on bob-ombs over spikes
* Any level that relies on finding one hidden block
* Spitting out a thousand enemies but there's ONE STAR hidden somewhere
* Pick-a-pipe/door
* Hidden block troll traps
* Recreating the Mario 3 Bowser fight (he doesn't jump the same way and is too unpredictable - I'm guilty of this one myself)
* Any puzzle level where you have to die if you make a single mistake (just put in a reset door)
* Levels that waste your time like one-block high mazes you have to duck jump through or back and forth full level running with no enemies
* "Speedrun" levels that are essentially just the same thing every time (spin on these enemies/bounce off this spring/throw this POW at the right time - they all have the same gimmicks)
* Anything "Kaizo." Hidden blocks aren't fun. I think any level that needs memorization to be beaten isn't a very on-brand Mario level, but that's just me.

There's probably other things and I might sound a little salty, but SMM is my favorite game of all time and I just want people to be forced to watch that one Game Maker's Toolkit video before being able to upload a level themselves.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So what I'm gathering is you don't like Mario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think it would be cool if Nintendo put some restrictions or slight nerfs on things.

If you're making coins a goal for example you can't put them in hidden blocks.
If a enemy has a key they have a slight gold glow around them.
Blocks with enemies in them quiver every few seconds.

Just to cut at some of the lovely things that people will try to abuse.