Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah the game could just be walking around the cities and swamps talking to people with none of the gun stuff or enemies and if it were funny that’d be goty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

If it's any consolation, even tech companies worth billions of dollars end up down the hole of not rapidly testing and validating a minimum viable product with real users before iterating further.

The best project manager and product owner in the world can't help if the weakest link in the chain is resolute in prioritizing planning and scope expansion over prototyping. There are so many stories of multi-million-dollar-a-year sprint teams of engineers/designers/data scientists wasting a year or years of work just because leadership didn't want to do the work of figuring out an MVP to initially test their hypothesis.

Successfully building software is really hard in these conditions. Building a game is even harder because everyone has so many opinions on very subjective things like game design and feel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah games like anthem get made.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Ada posted:

Toby once released an entire rock opera about mpreg, deviant seems likely.

I met Toby Fox once, shortly before the Undertale Kickstarter. He's like, a friend of a friend of a friend. It was very brief, and I think I probably couldn't have said more than 5 sentences to him, including "hi" and "bye. But one of those sentences was "thank you for making The Baby is You."

I hope that it becomes the official score of Death Stranding.

Lurdiak posted:

I really like the long payoff jokes like giving the turkey feather to Juwanna Mann or Michael Jordan bleeding gatorade when he dies.

.....Of COURSE that's why he had green blood! Was that supposed to be obvious, and I'm just an idiot?

Giving Juwanna the feather is amazing because it shows how on one hand Barkley cares about Juwanna's feelings and wants to soften the blow of leaving, but on the other hand, he just wants to get rid of some stupid furry's rear end-feather and might as well dupe Juwanna into thinking its a keepsake.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 6, 2019

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Gortarius posted:

When I read the update and saw all that bullpuck I horked. I did take a quick glance at the very short list of GIT items since the beginning of 2019 to double-check if Johnny Appleseed had indeed come down the chimney and finished the game for him. I didn't see a single piece of work made towards improving combat, so it's in the same state as it was when GZ and I left, AKA in dire straits.

The "bosses" are as follows: a reskinned cybergremlin (which is the most basic no thrills enemy), a guy with missing sprites who walks extremely slowly and pokes you with a rod if he gets close (spoilers: he doesn't get close, and I think if you approach him from a vertical direction he can't even reach you), catfish queen who shakes and jumps around in place with balls flying out of her, a plant in the middle of the swamp that doesn't do anything, a sprite of a minotaur statue and the prototype robot you made years ago. There are of course the Duergars too, who run around until they get stuck on walls. There is also the Running Man(tis) which me and GZ ripped off from Metal Gear 2, and while he does indeed function, it's a stretch to call him a boss. The normal enemies are more functional but calling them robust and intelligent is extremely questionable. They are all work in progress to some extent, some a lot more than others.

All of that is a total disgrace, so then what's left? Some people brought up that they don't give two hoots about the combat, it's the joke's that they want. Ok, fair point. The combat is still a disgrace, but it's a fair point. The first hour or so is good because that's where most of chef and bort's writing is, and it's also the most worked on and tested section of the game. After that it all falls apart, fast. The rest of it is small nuggets of chef and bort writing we found lying around in long forgotten Dark Drakers that we then tried to salvage to the best of out abilities. Then after the Dark Drakers dried up there is the total garbage of us trying to emulate the Barkley1 type of writing, sans the Barkley1 writers. My writing is atrocious. I'm a stupid idiot but there was so much content to make that what choices was there? Bhroom also contributed and his writing is OK. I don't think GZ ever wrote anything because he was swamped with doing everything else.

If you were to play through Barkley1, and liked it, and then you would boot up Barkley2 you would wonder if it's like a fan game or something. It's sort of feels like B1 but something is off. Hmm...

I'm hoping that after these PR-stunt updates are done and dusted the game is just announced dead and the project/source code becomes up for grabs so you can all witness the abomination first hand. What other options is there?

I would have still backed it had it been billed as one hour of good writing and "Stretch goal: Two extra hours with bad writing". Put Frankie art on top of that and the whole Gun's system being a pretty good joke in itself, and yeah you've got a sale. Like, how long was Barkley1?

e: but by all means let it die, I just hope the source gets posted so this thread can sift through it and post the highlights. Hell, start a new thread where we all pretend the game came out and post mocked up screenshots.

Shanty fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 6, 2019

Natrox
Dec 2, 2013
Click here for mustache rides

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

god drat i accidentally $15 dollared into some of the sweetest indie game drama i could possibly imagine.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

3 years later

Barkley 2 on the Google Play Store: Come Ball My Lord

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any chance of the B1 heads posting ITT who are still seemingly on good terms to work together on something else in the future? Seems like having the same talent (but with proper planning and project leadership) working on something that hasn't become a draining toxic shitheap could result in something really great, and whether it happens to be a "Barkley" game or not doesn't actually matter.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Brosnan posted:

Is there any chance of the B1 heads posting ITT who are still seemingly on good terms to work together on something else in the future? Seems like having the same talent (but with proper planning and project leadership) working on something that hasn't become a draining toxic shitheap could result in something really great, and whether it happens to be a "Barkley" game or not doesn't actually matter.

Nonzero, but they all have their own individual projects now. I think a few of them are even collaborating on some of them. Check those out:

Bisse posted:

So go check out and support: Katana Zero by chef, Phucker in the Gulag by GZ and Laz, Zookeeper by Drule and others, just Frankie in general because holy gently caress you lovable prog-rocking goofball your work ethic is an inspiration and I can't keep track of all your things, Nanokin by Kyle, and please fill in anything else i've missed!!!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I would love to know if any Barkley devs have any stories about how other studios or people in games talked about Barkley 1. It still feels like this cult classic that was huge back then, but we live in a completely different world now. It’s always cool to see when a game has a little reference to Barkley (like dota and imo to a lesser extent borderlands since that was cringe as hell but that’s imo)

bortswif
Jun 6, 2019
My husband and his brother are lunatics. Cboy is one of the funniest people I've had the pleasure of meeting.

The kickstarter as performance art and this game should have just been a visual novel are probably the best takeaways.

Entire plots of barkley 1, 2 and 3 are planned and I know exist in the heads of at least cboy and bort. I think everyone else just has pieces. They hired developers and artists to try to make it happen.
It was never enough money buy the wherewithal of a developer with enough patience to listen to these crazies and translate it to a game.

Their brains are all treasure troves and this thread reminded me that I'm one of the luckiest people on earth that I get to talk to one of them everyday.
We're all old now but their commentary on the zeitgeist is enough to make me laugh out loud on a daily basis.

Our son playtests and he knows his way around the sewers. Yesterday he kicked a ball and said super theatrically, "I call this move....
the reversing...of....SILENCE" and that beautiful playground ball "blooof" filled the air. He's not yet 4.

What I'm saying is gamers are born not made.

My earnest wish to cyberdwarf is that there was some way to make that kind of thing profitable so GZ doesn't hate us and himself for entering into a deal with this devil family.

Mental health be damned, we're all on precarious ledges anyhow. I still believe.

Semper games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I would love to know if any Barkley devs have any stories about how other studios or people in games talked about Barkley 1. It still feels like this cult classic that was huge back then, but we live in a completely different world now. It’s always cool to see when a game has a little reference to Barkley (like dota and imo to a lesser extent borderlands since that was cringe as hell but that’s imo)

i can't remember what site did a video about barkley a few years back but one of the guys doing the video didn't get any of the basketball jokes.

also gimme the goddang demo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What was the Barkley reference in Borderlands?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
The one thing I would imagine is totally 100% doable for Brhoom to do would be to release the pax demo, right? Like it was a tiny bit that was demonstrably functional enough that nobody thought "wow this is clearly a thin facade over a a pile of poo poo" like with Starr Citizen free weekends where everybody can see the basic physics poo poo themselves trying to do anything.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thread bad again.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The one thing I would imagine is totally 100% doable for Brhoom to do would be to release the pax demo, right? Like it was a tiny bit that was demonstrably functional enough that nobody thought "wow this is clearly a thin facade over a a pile of poo poo" like with Starr Citizen free weekends where everybody can see the basic physics poo poo themselves trying to do anything.
Reading between the lines the demo is a few thousand hours away from playable.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

This would work actually! It needs a brief manual with it explaining the basics. But it for sure a playable slice of the game at that point.

The demo allows you to pick between Quest, the largest and best quest piece of the game, or Combat, throwing you into the Junkyard which has fair enough combat to represent the game.

The only obstacle to doing this is convincing the man in charge.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Someone thought this was funny enough to spend $10 on. That’s sad.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Release the snyder cut Barkley 2 demo

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

bortswif posted:

My husband and his brother are lunatics. Cboy is one of the funniest people I've had the pleasure of meeting.

The kickstarter as performance art and this game should have just been a visual novel are probably the best takeaways.

Entire plots of barkley 1, 2 and 3 are planned and I know exist in the heads of at least cboy and bort. I think everyone else just has pieces. They hired developers and artists to try to make it happen.
It was never enough money buy the wherewithal of a developer with enough patience to listen to these crazies and translate it to a game.

Their brains are all treasure troves and this thread reminded me that I'm one of the luckiest people on earth that I get to talk to one of them everyday.
We're all old now but their commentary on the zeitgeist is enough to make me laugh out loud on a daily basis.

Our son playtests and he knows his way around the sewers. Yesterday he kicked a ball and said super theatrically, "I call this move....
the reversing...of....SILENCE" and that beautiful playground ball "blooof" filled the air. He's not yet 4.

What I'm saying is gamers are born not made.

My earnest wish to cyberdwarf is that there was some way to make that kind of thing profitable so GZ doesn't hate us and himself for entering into a deal with this devil family.

Mental health be damned, we're all on precarious ledges anyhow. I still believe.

Semper games.

Have you tried telling your husband that the only possible way for the game to get finished is for his brother to give up creative control

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Someone thought this was funny enough to spend $10 on. That’s sad.

That is actually his wife

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Ultimate Doge posted:

That rules

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I rewatched this interview with hbroom guy in 2015 at PAX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHSyDq_IyYE

quote:

We want to get to the point where some content of the game is just never ever seen by anyone, ever.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCi-fytEQO8

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

It seems like the game should have been made by Choice of Games, not Tales of Game's. I'd buy a text-based CYOA(where the choices are all joke's that lead to one horribly inevitable conclusion), could even sell a collectors edition filled with chicken mutilating minigames.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Ultimate Doge posted:

How do you know that?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I rewatched this interview with hbroom guy in 2015 at PAX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHSyDq_IyYE

Hey, mission accomplished!

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

How do you know that?

Cause she wife posted. Seriously could it actually be her...?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Dias posted:

Hey, mission accomplished!

Hopefully he was referring to the chicken baby dissection

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im going to email the wife

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why won't he release the demo?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

why won't he release the demo?
I wouldn't be surprised if there was resistance to releasing the the PAX demo because it's not a true and faithfully complete representation of the Holy Combat Design Bible of Bonkley 2.

On this note if you compare the combat of the 2015 version of the game to what is there today there's like... there isn't really much difference. The core gunslinging is basically the same. Sure, balance is different, there's more stuff, there's more crazy bullets, there's more enemies. But there is also more features and details added that i'm not sure if they actually add or detract from the combat. It could even be that the 2015 version is better because it's in some ways simpler.

I am so so far away from the quest side of things that I can't really be relied on to be accurate here, but I feel like the quest side of the 2015 demo could be better as well. Just because, it contains the best written parts of the game, before people who weren't that good at writing were forced into making quests. So it could very well be more dense, higher quality content, even if it's less.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 6, 2019

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vandar posted:

What was the Barkley reference in Borderlands?

wasnt really a barkley ref. there's a side quest where you do some NBA Jam style basketball stunts while a super enthusiastic sports caster goes nuts, and another guy jams too hard and he leaves the moon's orbit

There's no chaos dunk or anything mentioned

e: blands tps sucked

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The Dark Draker tape is real

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im going to email the wife

To Hoopz,

I figure if I'm going to be within free-throw distance of you, I better try some diplomacy before I arrive.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

FreeKillB posted:

jesus christ the guy from deep purple sang this

ahahahahaha

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Bisse posted:

I am so so far away from the quest side of things that I can't really be relied on to be accurate here, but I feel like the quest side of the 2015 demo could be better as well. Just because, it contains the best written parts of the game, before people who weren't that good at writing were forced into making quests. So it could very well be more dense, higher quality content, even if it's less.

True enough, but the number of bugs and logic errors is horrendous if you go that far back. I spent many a moon fixing quests that just abruptly end, don't work or reset themselves half-way through. It's the first hour of the game that is actually good, sans the tutorial which actually is kinda boring and unnecessary if combat is omitted anyway.

With that said I wouldn't hold your breath for a demo because that would require at least two mouse button clicks to compile it and another few to upload it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gortarius posted:

With that said I wouldn't hold your breath for a demo because that would require at least two mouse button clicks to compile it and another few to upload it.

It can't be that hard, it's just as easy as updating a company's official website!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
I dont know what the state of the game is like right now, but if its not actually crashing all the time, but rather just messed up and incomplete, and like, has quests that don't complete properly etc, then yeah, releasing what we have now as a demo would probably be a good idea. At least to let people see *something* of what we made in the last 6 loving years.

Were the main problems actual crashes, or just stuff not working "properly" and being incomplete at the time you guys left? Those two things are really drat different.

If some broken quests end in soft-locks because of incomplete event scripts, add a debug key that cuts off the current event completely and maybe respawns you to the last utility station or something, so at least people dont need to start over every time they encounter something incomplete or broken. I added that to my horror RPG to make early testing easier, it helps a lot.

FrankieSmileShow fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 6, 2019