Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mystes posted:

Also, if you use a chromium-based browser other than chrome you're still contributing to Google's control over the web.

This is the Android thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

LastInLine posted:

This is the Android thread.
I would argue that Google's control over the web is much more of a threat than its control over the Android ecosystem. By using stock Android you are inherently contributing to the latter, but not necessarily the former if you use a browser that isn't based on chromium.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mystes posted:

I would argue that Google's control over the web is much more of a threat than its control over the Android ecosystem. By using stock Android you are inherently contributing to the latter, but not necessarily the former if you use a browser that isn't based on chromium.

If you want to have a discussion on the power and politics of the smartphone duopoly wars, please start a separate thread for it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you want to have a discussion on the power and politics of the smartphone duopoly wars, please start a separate thread for it.
I wasn't really trying to start that exact discussion, but understood. Firefox is good though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mystes posted:

I wasn't really trying to start that exact discussion, but understood. Firefox is good though.

I want to use Firefox on mobile (I use it everywhere else), but it has issues properly displaying the lovely forum website my friends use (cause we're still stuck in the 00's), so I stick with Chrome.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If google were to disappear tomorrow the only thing I would miss is my grandfathered gmail account. The rest I can live without.

(and I suppose I wouldn't enjoy using an iphone much)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mystes posted:

It's actually a really interesting discussion, so I'd be totally cool if a civil chat thread is started about this. Just not here :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

redeyes posted:

If google were to disappear tomorrow the only thing I would miss is my grandfathered gmail account. The rest I can live without.

(and I suppose I wouldn't enjoy using an iphone much)

What's a grandfathered gmail account?

I've had mine since idk when, 2003-2004 or so? I had to get an invite.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

What's a grandfathered gmail account?

I've had mine since idk when, 2003-2004 or so? I had to get an invite.

I meant the grandfathered gmail/domain thing that they now charge 60 -100 bux a year for.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Uthor posted:

I want to use Firefox on mobile (I use it everywhere else), but it has issues properly displaying the lovely forum website my friends use (cause we're still stuck in the 00's), so I stick with Chrome.

Something Awful has apps these days

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Taffer posted:

Something Awful has apps these days

I forget Something Awful has a website these days!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
*Millhouse arrives, talking about how cool the new All Your Base video is*

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Q Beta 4 is dropping right now. If you are on the beta, check your OTAs!

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/06/05/android-q-enters-the-home-stretch-with-release-of-beta-4/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

I forget Something Awful has a website these days!

I can't probate you turbonerds on mobile so website it is for me.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

If you're on a pixel 2 you might want to hold off for now. The update stalled for me during the reboot and it eventually rebooted into recovery with a message that my data is corrupt.

E: This was updating from beta 3. The comments in that article have some other Pixel 2 owners with the same issue. Works fine after a factory reset.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Updated, glad to have PIP back and the new Ocean highlight color is pretty great.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Aaaand they stopped the OTA rollout because of the 2XL bootloop issue.

My 3XL updated fine though!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How is OnePlus 7, especially compared to older Onepluses like 6? I'm thinking about selling my OP3. I'd love OP7 Pro but I hate the curved display edges and it's a bit pricey.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Sininu posted:

How is OnePlus 7, especially compared to older Onepluses like 6? I'm thinking about selling my OP3. I'd love OP7 Pro but I hate the curved display edges and it's a bit pricey.

Compared to my 6T. The 7 is identical with the following upgrades:

It has a faster processer (845 vs 855)
Better back camera senser (16MP vs 48MP)
Better speakers ( single bottom vs dual stereo speakers) This would be the biggest improvement to me.

It would be a big performance jump over the OP3, but you would have to buy USB headphones. The 7 doesn't come with a set or include an adapter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Does the 7 also get the upgraded haptics? That was one of the most disappointing things about the 6T compared to my Pixel 3 and one of the best things about the 7 Pro.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 6, 2019

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Sininu posted:

The 90hz screen is also amazing both viewing quality and the higher refresh rate.

E: VV Ah, that's what I get for skimming through a response to your original post. My fault, disregard.

comper fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 6, 2019

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

comper posted:

The 90hz screen is also amazing both viewing quality and the higher refresh rate.

OP7 non-professional doesn't have that display. I'm sure I'd love 90hz screen on OP7 Pro, but curved edges kill it for me.

bull3964 posted:

Does the 7 also get the upgraded haptics? That was one of the most disappointing things about the 6T compared to my Pixel 3 and one of the best things about the 7 Pro.

This is interesting as well. OP3's vibration motor sucks.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

bull3964 posted:

I don't think so. I can't find anything to confirm, but I also can't find anything saying it does.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

Aaaand they stopped the OTA rollout because of the 2XL bootloop issue.

My 3XL updated fine though!

Apparently it's on at least one 3 too so who knows, I guess.

I like how the battery life on my 2XL is much nicer than what it was on Beta 3.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think I'm soon gonna do as my dad suggested and live on a small island in a grass hut, but this is something to consider if you wanna gently caress with those no name phones
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/06/google-confirms-2017-supply-chain-attack-that-sneaked-backdoor-on-android-devices/

I dont believe anything is really safe but we dont need to be inviting any extra trouble these days

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

codo27 posted:

I think I'm soon gonna do as my dad suggested and live on a small island in a grass hut, but this is something to consider if you wanna gently caress with those no name phones
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/06/google-confirms-2017-supply-chain-attack-that-sneaked-backdoor-on-android-devices/

I dont believe anything is really safe but we dont need to be inviting any extra trouble these days

McAfee Jr?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm having an... odd... issue with typing into text fields recently.

Sometimes when typing, the cursor/position indicator is not visible. When this happens, I can type as normal, but I can't insert a line break with the "enter" key. However, if I tap my finger inside the text box, the position indicator appears, at which point I can use the enter key to make line breaks.

I use SwiftKey, which I've used exclusively for years, and have never encountered this before.

It's not serious or anything, but it is definitely puzzling.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm looking for an older phone to use as an offline mp3 player/occasionally connect to WiFi for podcasts, are there ant in particular that people recommend

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Whatever is in your junk drawer?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uthor posted:

Whatever is in your junk drawer?

Cool that narrows it down to none, which is why I was asking

mystes
May 31, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ask people you know if they have any old phones they don't need anymore?

Or get some cheap prepaid phone or something random off ebay.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Just go to the nearest brick-and-mortar store for your cell provider and ask what the cheapest thing they have is, honestly.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I don't see any reason to buy new if you're literally just listening to mp3s and podcasts. You can do that with almost any phone, regardless of OS updates, as long as it has sufficient storage (either internal or SD, depending on your collection size).

I'd check out Swappa or something. But first I'd hit up my friends to see if they have anything sitting in a drawer, as suggested above.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

incogneato posted:

I don't see any reason to buy new if you're literally just listening to mp3s and podcasts.

You can get some really cheap stuff if you look at the prepaid phones. Like, $25.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

codo27 posted:

So you're saying, stop using my Bold Like Us XL4?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

always be closing posted:

So you're saying, stop using my Bold Like Us XL4?

I'm pretty sure Amazon forced them to take out their backdoor but anyone out there on a Leagoo M5 Plus has got another problem on top of the many they probably already have.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I copy rich text? I'm trying to set up my email signature for work, but when I copy the signature from an email I sent from my laptop, it seems to copy as plain text.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
How the hell am I supposed to "prove" the batrery/bootloop issue for the upcoming nexus 6p settlement? The site accepts multiple image types, and pdf. Am I supposed to take a photo? I don't have any documented service history or Google customer service records (bought the phone new from Verizon).

I still have the phone, at present it won't turn on even while plugged in after being in a drawer for a couple years. Maybe that'll change after a few hours, but if not?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

How the hell am I supposed to "prove" the batrery/bootloop issue for the upcoming nexus 6p settlement? The site accepts multiple image types, and pdf. Am I supposed to take a photo? I don't have any documented service history or Google customer service records (bought the phone new from Verizon).

I still have the phone, at present it won't turn on even while plugged in after being in a drawer for a couple years. Maybe that'll change after a few hours, but if not?

I did have the 2 RMA's I did for for the Battery Issue (Shutoff between 15-30%) and the bootloop on the second. Don't have any chat logs, but I think if they needed it, I could get the reason for replacement through the Case #'s that are in the RMA E-Mails. Just PDF'ed them and attached.

If you still have one that has the Bootloop/Power issue, then pics/vid of it not working not due to physical damage should about do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In moving from iOS to android; haven’t had a android since the HTC One m8 which I loved. I have a phone upgrade coming up soon and I’m not sure if I should go for the s10 or wait until later in the year? I don’t use anything super cool except for awful and my bank apps. I’ll miss airdrop but this is my fourth iPhone to die in a row so.

Thanks goons