Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I haven't even seen Game Changers yet, but I already know about that dude just from youtube compilations of cringe moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every season is good, even - actually, especially - the "bad" ones.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They're is no bad season of survivor.
you imbecile. you loving moron.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Adus posted:

Varner was a whole different type of ugly. That wasn't good tv for anyone. I feel like even Russell wouldn't have gone there. Though I'm not sure that's what apples was referring to anyway.

Varner definitely contributed, but the energy was just low after the merge, culminating in a big argument about rules and then Brad yelling at Tai in the finale.

It just seemed like after Hali's boot, almost everyone left just wasn't having fun. The only fun moment was probably watching Cirie's son freak out about everything.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
very rarely do returning players have fun, they typically have egos and are over it, especially if they did well their first time around. I wouldn't be surprised if S40 is pretty grim in tone with a bunch of players taking the game too seriously too

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Malcolm seemed pretty chill, Sandra (and Varner) was reveling in chaos, and poor Hali was just trying to stay sane on a tribe with Debbie. Meanwhile, Tai and Aubry disappear into the ether so we're left with Andrea as the most positive screentime after the merge.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, it wasn't that nobody was having fun on Game Changers, it's that every single person who was or could was voted out in the pre-merge. Then Varner did what he did, and the whole rest of the game was tainted by this negative aura. It was uncomfortable and weirdly personal. It doesn't help that the winner's primary calling card was that she was super good at betrayal, and her closest competition was a former NFL player turned lawyer who was already a millionaire and spent most of his last episode loudly and viciously berating one of the nicest people in the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JesusSinfulHands posted:

very rarely do returning players have fun, they typically have egos and are over it, especially if they did well their first time around. I wouldn't be surprised if S40 is pretty grim in tone with a bunch of players taking the game too seriously too

I don't know, I enjoyed David this season. But Wentworth, yeah, was clearly miserable.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Spergatory posted:

Yeah, it wasn't that nobody was having fun on Game Changers, it's that every single person who was or could was voted out in the pre-merge. Then Varner did what he did, and the whole rest of the game was tainted by this negative aura. It was uncomfortable and weirdly personal. It doesn't help that the winner's primary calling card was that she was super good at betrayal, and her closest competition was a former NFL player turned lawyer who was already a millionaire and spent most of his last episode loudly and viciously berating one of the nicest people in the game.

It was really impressive how thoroughly culpepper was able to torpedo himself throughout the entirety of the last few days, GC was great for that

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The Bloop posted:

They're is no bad season of survivor.
you imbecile. you loving moron.

There are no bad Survivors, only bad viewers.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Another Bill posted:

There are no bad Survivors, only bad viewers.

Counterpoint: Woo Hwang

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SweetJahasus posted:

Counterpoint: Woo Hwang

Fair.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Woo's confessional when he can't remember how a tie is resolved at final four is my favorite confessional in all of Survivor.

"I know I won't be able to vote...
And Spencer won't be able to vote...
And then if there's ANOTHER tie,
We have to draw...
r...
rocks?

...?
...the jury!?
:aaaaa: We fight for it?!?!?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd like to believe that given enough time Woo will be remembered as just another idiot like Erik, JT, and James and not THE idiot because I liked Woo.

I dream.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Those three you mentioned have positive characteristics.

Woo gave away the million AND cheated.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Who was the last female idiot before EoE, though?

Lauren Rimmer did something pretty dumb but it's not quite on the same level.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How do you define it? They would need to make a spectacularly entertaining mistake.

Debbie has to be up there just for being herself. Anna Khait is spectacularly terrible outside of the game. Abi-Maria?

How about Natalie Tenerelli or Ashley Underwood's complete disinterest in doing anything to counter Rob in Redemption Island?

Amanda Kimmel for bungling two final tribals in a row.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 7, 2019

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
On Brice's last RHAP appearance, he said that he got the impression that Woo thought he had won. Basically the cast all sat in a back room watching the finale, and Woo had a cocky look on his face at the beginning and was sitting off by himself apart from everyone else. Then as the finale went on, he got more and more deflated and by the end he was curled up in a fetal position on his chair.

Starts at 1:09:46 here
https://robhasawebsite.com/survivor38-episode12-feedback-brice-izyah/

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
https://thejuliacarter.com/2019/06/06/push-me-to-the-edge-my-survivor-experience/

Julia on her experience on the last season:

quote:

I hit the Fijian sand ready to play. On the first night, I hear the word friend of the family. Let me offer some context. The tribe was sitting around the fire playing a game where you quote a movie line, and others guess the movie. The line was “Look at that friend of the family on a horse.”; the movie, Django. As soon as the word hit the air, all looks either hit the floor with the quickness or subtly adjusted to me, the only Black castaway on Kama beach. Everyone shifted a little on their logs, uncomfortable to say the least. I say, “Django?” through gritted teeth. Ding, ding, ding. I win, huh? “Wow,” I thought. On day one, really? A social game, and we’re out here dropping racial slurs? Or is it okay because it was woven into a quote in a game? No one says anything, no one brings it up. Even me.

To be honest, I was shocked. If what I was feeling in that moment was reflective of the next 39 days, I was unsure if I was ready. I thought I was ready for anything… except this. I did not think I was going to have to hit the beach and fight against racism and bias. I do that enough in my daily life. Only 4% of all doctors in the United States are Black. I will be part of this statistic in a few years and have actively battled against education systems not built for me to be successful. I am biracial and have battled against the White side of my family for perpetuating racism; I lost and do not speak to many of them. I do this education and advocacy thing. But Survivor too? drat.

There was one bright light in all of this, and his name is Ron Clark. Ron approached me a day or two later by the fire and asked me how I felt about hearing the word. I told him I was uncomfortable and annoyed, shocked that there would be such a lack of respect and awareness. I held back most of my true emotion, as it was still early on in the game. I didn’t want him to think that I was a race crusader or to see me as potentially bringing problems to the tribe. I still had a game to win. We talked, he consoled me, and told me about his students and his Black husband. I slept next to him every night moving forward – in the shelter and on Edge.

Days later, the word is said again. Same context (seems like this is a trend), quoting a South Park episode, where the Wheel of Fortune word is N*GGERS, and Niggers is guessed although the correct answer is naggers. Never saw the episode, and at this point, I have no intention to. Furious is an understatement of how I was feeling in that moment. As I was about to bite whatever bullet was going to come my way and say something, Ron interjects and says, “You cannot say that word!” A villain to you, a hero to me. A weight was lifted off my shoulders as Ron, a White man, led the charge against racism in camp. I chimed in, recalling repeated instances of racial slurs and negative racial references being used at camp. The tribe ended up having a very healthy dialogue about race, each person contributing a different perspective. We talked about the Starbucks incident (which had recently occurred before we left for Fiji), institutional discrimination, cultural competency training, and bias. I am not sure how much was actually absorbed, but it felt good to finally speak my peace with the support of Ron. The unfortunate reality of it is that it took Ron speaking up for the issue to be addressed. It often takes someone in the majority to support marginalized individuals in order for them to be heard and for anything to be done. It baffles me that the use of the word friend of the family rolled off of the tongue so easily, especially in the presence of a Black person. Was it because I was a woman? Would this person have repeatedly used this word if I was a Black male on the tribe? Whew, there are so many layers.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 7, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:wtc:

I can't even fathom how this is a thing. Twice even.

I think the rest of that section is worth reading too.

quote:

Of the many confessionals that I did that you at home did not get to see, this was a significant one. I was asked to do a confessional not long after the incident, and I already knew what to expect. As soon as I sat down for my confessional, I was in tears, expressing all of the emotion that I had pent up since I landed in Fiji. Not only were there only two Black castaways on season 38, we were separated, and I was the only one on my island. I was distraught, opening up about how saddening it is to have to deal with such overt racial differences during my once-in-a-lifetime Survivor experience. But worse than all of that was the fact that I had to deal with it all alone. I talked about how I could not say what I wanted to say and address the situation in the way that I would at home in the game. No one would understand, or even if they understood, it wouldn’t be a priority to them. No one but Ron even addressed what was happening. I was conflicted. Socially, I wanted to just shut down. Speak up and put a target on my back or bite my tongue in order to maneuver my way through the game without much attention? It hurt me to feel as though I was back in that place in my life where I felt so silenced, that I would choose $1 million dollars over defending myself. In that moment, I chose the game. I stand by that decision, but never again. In or out of game, you should always stand up for yourself. I received an apology from production for having to deal with this and was given praises for how respectfully I handled the situation at camp. “I have had my whole life to train,” I thought to myself. Well over a one-hour confessional, and 0 seconds of it were shown. Some stories take precedent I guess, and once again, this teaching moment wasn’t worth opening that can of worms to the viewers. “Duh duh duh duh, NEWSFLASH: racism on Kama beach sparks controversial but enlightening dialogue amongst the castaways. Will never make the edit, but a great moment nonetheless, especially in today’s political climate.” I got up, stretched my legs, wiped my eyes, and walked back to camp. Smile, Julia.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 7, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ugh, I can't imagine that happening on the first night and you know you're stuck on a beach with that person for however long.

For a positive excerpt, I like this bit:

quote:

I would be remiss if I do not mention finding a lifelong friend in Reem Daly on Edge. Reem and her family are family, and I am grateful to Edge for giving me them. That woman kept me sane, drove me crazy, made me laugh, but through everything, she maintained that I keep my positivity intact. She helped me work through demons, gave me life advice, and saw me as a person not as a competitor. She deserves all the credit in the world for trailblazing the Edge the way she did. That island was no joke, and she set the bar high. All hail Queen Reem.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If we had someone like Keith setting the pace for extinction, I think more people would have dropped out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I want to know who said it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I want to know who said it

Original Kama was Aubry, Joe, Eric, Julia, Ron, Aurora, Victoria, Julie, Gavin.

I'm guessing Eric based on "who is likely to be a Tarantino fan" + "who did Julia work with/against". Joe's also possible.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Zesty posted:

How about Natalie Tenerelli or Ashley Underwood's complete disinterest in doing anything to counter Rob in Redemption Island?

Rob doesn't win final immunity or Rob takes Ashley to the end, she wins the game according to every interview about RI I cared to read

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think it's super helpful for us to speculate about who said it. That's just gonna play into our personal biases. Anyone can be capable of harboring that kind of (at best) racial insensitivity and cluelessness. And Julia's bigger issue was clearly that Ron was the only one of them who expressed any disgust or concern so they all have some guilt to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's pretty amazing that the all time "worst player" imo has never been topped since season 2

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think it's super helpful for us to speculate about who said it. That's just gonna play into our personal biases. Anyone can be capable of harboring that kind of (at best) racial insensitivity and cluelessness. And Julia's bigger issue was clearly that Ron was the only one of them who expressed any disgust or concern so they all have some guilt to it.

I agree but I still want to know who said it lol

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I agree but I still want to know who said it lol

Hopefully since the producers know we’ll presumably never see that contestant again but yeah I wanna know because gently caress them

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Now that its out there its at least a topic for each of them to either answer or avoid of (a) did they say it and (b) why didn't they say anything against it?

The Survivor media circuit doesn't really seem to press too hard on stuff but with Victoria and others being so online and Aubry being a veteran of the world it might be difficult to ignore.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Just lol if it was Joe. He's been trying to make a career out of being woke and that Mana show with Wigglesworth was completely tone-deaf so we know he's got it in him to think that using a Django line with n* in it is cool and funny.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gluten Freeman posted:

Ugh, I can't imagine that happening on the first night and you know you're stuck on a beach with that person for however long.

For a positive excerpt, I like this bit:

I really wish Survivor was long or that they did a full on deal with some online presence for the weirdos who want to see more. I'd watch an hour long confessional. I'd watch a backside survivor episode of just Extinction poo poo.

Give every player Extinction-eque conditions for a season I'd watch that

quote:

The Edge of Extinction is what you make it. It was an opportunity to cope, reflect, wallow in pity, be mad as hell, or simply get a tan. For me, Edge was therapeutic. I never realized how distracted we are in life. Between school, work, friends and family, and social media, there is always something that we can get lost in to pass the time or intentionally distract ourselves. Edge stripped away all of these distractions. The endless time with nothing to do around individuals you don’t really want to talk to all the time forces you to spend time with yourself. It forced me to look internally and identify flaws and areas for growth, seek closure for open wounds, and find internal peace. Reading the letter that I wrote myself before the game started brought it all full circle for me. I realized that I did not need to win the game to be a winner. I had an experience that transcended the million. The universe, God, whatever you believe in, put me on that island for a reason, and reading that letter made me realize why. At that time, I needed closure and peace more than I needed the money or the title, and I got it. I was going to give it my all down the home stretch, but if it wasn’t me who won, I was content.

They didn't do a great job of conveying the Extinction experience and I guess that sort of thing is really hard to turn into TV. What a unique experience. Sure, you could always decide to like abandon your poo poo/life and go hang out in the woods for a month but yeah right never happening unless you're rich. That specific situation of being essentially compelled to stay on boring island doing fuckall but having thoughtd for a few weeks is a trip I have a harder time fathoming than just being on regular Survivor. This also makes it even more apparent why what's-his-name won last season, they've all gone through the CBS meditation retreat and shared a spiritual experience the main players couldn't.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 8, 2019

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

precision posted:

I think it's pretty amazing that the all time "worst player" imo has never been topped since season 2

Do you mean alphabet Sean or was there someone dumber and more predictable in season 2 I’m forgetting?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Bigass Moth posted:

Do you mean alphabet Sean or was there someone dumber and more predictable in season 2 I’m forgetting?

Colby taking Tina instead of Keith.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

curiousCat posted:

Colby taking Tina instead of Keith.

It was still a 4-3 vote, so not colossally dumb.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

precision posted:

i just assumed OP meant worst human and they're talking about Skupin

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Accurate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lone Goat posted:

i just assumed OP meant worst human and they're talking about Skupin

Yup, nailed it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it took like 15 years to know what a scumbag he was. One of these terrible people will be an even bigger scumbag than we realize a decade from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What was the 15 years later thing we found out was scumbaggy again?