Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah that was pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

TontoCorazon posted:

Yeah that was pretty great

It's like early Trailer Park Boys.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
What We Do in the Shadows the tv show is the same kind of slow burn brilliance the movie was.

edit: "We're werewolves, not swearwolves."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never heard of What We Do In Shadows and...wow. How have I not seen this.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

They made a TV show? I loved the movie.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Harton posted:

They made a TV show? I loved the movie.

The TV show has Matt Berry in, who elevates everything he is in magnificently.

It is very very "British", but people should do themselves a favour and watch Toast of London.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
What We Do In The Shadows is very, very good. Movie and show.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The vampire council scene in the show is brilliant and keeps getting better the longer the scene goes on. So much to unpack.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
oh poo poo matt berry is in it

do i need to watch the movie to pick it up

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, the premise is pretty simple, just that vampires (and werewolves) exist and that a documentary crew is following around the main characters filming them. However you definitely should watch the movie because it is completely hilarious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this! posted:

No, the premise is pretty simple, just that vampires (and werewolves) exist and that a documentary crew is following around the main characters filming them. However you definitely should watch the movie because it is completely hilarious.

Has the show replaced the sequel movie, We're Wolves?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If you liked Ragnarok watch endgame because it at least watch the Civil Wars for the end to Thors story.

I'm still irritated and sucked out of everything in John wick 3 where they keep calling him baba yaga.

John wick is the best comic book movie... And it was never a comic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It is now:

https://www.amazon.com/John-Wick-1-Greg-Pak-ebook/dp/B073SKZJJX

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Keanu Reeves has a great cameo in the Netflix Asian-American comedy Always Be My Maybe. The movie itself is blah, but then all of sudden it’s Keanu.

I hope it’s a trend. You’re watching a Madea movie or a telanova and suddenly there’s Keanu. He could be the glue that binds all the ethnic groups together.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
When in the cinema I always hate desert scenes, because they are so bright in the dark room that looking at them hurts my eyes, due to the glare of the sun on the sand contrasted with the dimly lit theatre.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BioEnchanted posted:

When in the cinema I always hate desert scenes, because they are so bright in the dark room that looking at them hurts my eyes, due to the glare of the sun on the sand contrasted with the dimly lit theatre.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

BioEnchanted posted:

This was especially bad in I think it was the second Star Wars prequel. There was a normal space scene with dark-ish lighting that transitioned to a scene on a desert planet, with a huge-rear end super-reflective ship flying by, so you got the combined glare from the sun, sand, and ship

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Krispy Wafer posted:

Keanu Reeves has a great cameo in the Netflix Asian-American comedy Always Be My Maybe. The movie itself is blah, but then all of sudden it’s Keanu.

I hope it’s a trend. You’re watching a Madea movie or a telanova and suddenly there’s Keanu. He could be the glue that binds all the ethnic groups together.

It’s crazy just how completely John wick changed the entire worlds perception of Keanu. For about 15 years the main thing you read about him was he was a bland actor with very limited range. There was that movie where he played a southern lawyer with a terrible accent, and his acting ability was summed up by him saying “Whoa” in the matrix.

Honestly Keanu should be sending the writer of John wick tens of thousands of dollars every Christmas and birthday for the rest of his career.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Olaf The Stout posted:

It’s crazy just how completely John wick changed the entire worlds perception of Keanu. For about 15 years the main thing you read about him was he was a bland actor with very limited range. There was that movie where he played a southern lawyer with a terrible accent, and his acting ability was summed up by him saying “Whoa” in the matrix.

Honestly Keanu should be sending the writer of John wick tens of thousands of dollars every Christmas and birthday for the rest of his career.

He's had that nonsense surrounding him his entire career, or at least since Bill & Ted, and even when he was starring in The Matrix films there were a lot of people saying stuff like "well they found the perfect role for Keanu where all he has to do is look confused for 2 hours".

It's bullshit, it's always been bullshit, and I think the thing that changed with John Wick is that it gave people a reason to look back on his career and be like hey you know what? This dude has been in a shitload of good movies and he's managed to stick around for like 30 years, maybe there's a reason why that is.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Point Break was great. And Keanu is also one of the nicest people in Hollywood, by all accounts. He's also had a poo poo go of it in a lot of respects so I'm glad he's owning with John Wick and people are appreciating the man again.

:unsmith:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He also made the best romantic film of all time The Lake House

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

oldpainless posted:

He also made the best romantic film of all time The Lake House

Wasn’t that the one where he and Sandra Bullock send time-traveling letters to each other and it turns out at least one of them is a ghost?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's not exactly showing any range in John Wick though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Keanu Reeves posted:

I used to have nightmares that they would put 'He played Ted' on my tombstone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

He's not exactly showing any range in John Wick though.

He doesn't have great range, I mean nobody is saying he's Daniel Day Lewis here. But he's extremely good at what he does, and when you add in the physical skills he's built up over time in his various action roles, he's a pretty unique talent.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Keanu really is not that great an actor, but he’s hard working and not an rear end in a top hat. He’s also managed to star in 3 separate highly popular and culturally relevant trilogies. I think the only other actor whose appeared in as many trilogies is Hugo Weaving, but Hugo wasn’t the star of those films.

So he’s a nice guy and really lucky in the projects he picks.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

If you liked Ragnarok watch endgame because it at least watch the Civil Wars for the end to Thors story.

I'm still irritated and sucked out of everything in John wick 3 where they keep calling him baba yaga.

John wick is the best comic book movie... And it was never a comic.

That took me out of the first Wick.

And I went and saw 3 anyways because it's just what you do.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On Sandra Bullock I thought Premonition was alright, but the otherwise sad fate of her daughter, who at one point Sandra sees badly disfigured in a fairly sad moment, is spoiled when you see how it happens later - she runs through a closed french door like a loving pigeon, which is too stupid to feel sorry for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Keanu really is not that great an actor, but he’s hard working and not an rear end in a top hat. He’s also managed to star in 3 separate highly popular and culturally relevant trilogies. I think the only other actor whose appeared in as many trilogies is Hugo Weaving, but Hugo wasn’t the star of those films.

Well there certainly was no luck involved in John Wick. You had directors who had a pretty specific idea of the kind of action flick they wanted. And when you want to do it that way, with a heavy focus on stylish choreography and as few unnecessary cuts as possible, you go to Keanu. In terms of bankable stars, the list of guys who could pull off John Wick has exactly one name on it, and Keanu is that guy.

Go watch Ethan Hawke in 24 Hours to Live if you want to see what happens when you hire just anybody for that kind of role.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Jun 6, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Keanu is also still doing all his own stunts at fifty-four years old, and the Wick series asks a LOT of him. Who else besides Cruise has been able to do that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Zoe Saldana with the Avatar sequels happening.

Guardians
Star Trek

She only made it into 2 Avengers movies though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Aphrodite posted:

Zoe Saldana with the Avatar sequels happening.

Guardians
Star Trek

She only made it into 2 Avengers movies though.

drat impressive that a black woman was able to pull that off, even in today's Hollywood. loving kudos.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...Although I guess she's green in one and blue in another.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Krispy Wafer posted:

What’s the third?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Krispy Wafer posted:

He plays a great role in the story too, and he completely steals the scenes he's in. Your assessment is correct, it's pretty blah, but Park and Wong are funny people so there's definitely a lot of decent laughs.

The Keanu Reeves scenes brought me around on liking it for a crappy Rom com. And it's good to get more minorities in film, both as on and off screen.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

oldpainless posted:

What’s the third?
They're making another Bill & Ted.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

oldpainless posted:

What’s the third?

The Matrix

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
In Die Hard with a Vengeance the initially bombing scene. Understandably people are getting out of their cars to look at one another and say "what the poo poo" but that's because they're now blocked in traffic. The people at the light would immediately vacate on a cross street. You don't sit there with a clear way out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Well there certainly was no luck involved in John Wick. You had directors who had a pretty specific idea of the kind of action flick they wanted. And when you want to do it that way, with a heavy focus on stylish choreography and as few unnecessary cuts as possible, you go to Keanu. In terms of bankable stars, the list of guys who could pull off John Wick has exactly one name on it, and Keanu is that guy.

Go watch Ethan Hawke in 24 Hours to Live if you want to see what happens when you hire just anybody for that kind of role.

I probably wouldn’t have picked Keanu as my first choice. I remember a lot of skepticism on his role when the first John Wick came out. He’s been in a lot of action movies, but they’re corny ‘pop quiz hot shot’ action films. The Matrix was good, but then there were the Matrix sequels.

The first film didn’t make a lot of money. People didn’t really discover it until the home video/streaming market. But the film makers definitely followed a vision. The series has nearly created a new genre, at least for American films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

I probably wouldn’t have picked Keanu as my first choice. I remember a lot of skepticism on his role when the first John Wick came out. He’s been in a lot of action movies, but they’re corny ‘pop quiz hot shot’ action films. The Matrix was good, but then there were the Matrix sequels.

The first film didn’t make a lot of money. People didn’t really discover it until the home video/streaming market. But the film makers definitely followed a vision. The series has nearly created a new genre, at least for American films.

The Wachowskis had Will Smith as Neo and Sean Connery as Morpheus. But then they got Keanu and Larry Fishbourne which honestly was a good choice.

The guy from Karate Kid was offered the role of Marty McFly and his career never recovered.