Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Petr posted:

If so, can we stop arguing about whether Democrats are lizard people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-vPCnSN7iU

Case closed :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Casey Finnigan posted:

No one in the world actually cares about "singular vs plural they."

Like you said, moderator approval is required. These people, mostly wealthy white middle aged folks, really believe "these quote-unquote non binary millennials need to shut the gently caress up and learn what real oppression is," or whatever. But they probably figure quibbling over grammar is easier, and doesn't make them look as out of touch and intolerant, and it's not as likely to get their comment banned, and they'll probably get more thumbs up votes or whatever from the rest of the olds.

I'd disagree with your first claim, I've met several. The issue is something more general than trans or genderqueer-specific animus. People have a weird reactionary defensiveness about language and convention that is independent of issues tied to the particular word in question.

For some people you're doubtless correct that it's a bad faith dispute as part of an attempt at erasure. But there are absolutely people out there who are genuinely huffy that "he" is no longer a gender neutral default and they have to relearn something. There's probably a word for whatever kind of privilege is at play.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

I'm sorry I wasn't aware that banning a debate outside the predefined ones based on rules that have existed for years is banning all conversations of climate change.

The rules are bad

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

eviltastic posted:

For some people you're doubtless correct that it's a bad faith dispute as part of an attempt at erasure. But there are absolutely people out there who are genuinely huffy that "he" is no longer a gender neutral default and they have to relearn something. There's probably a word for whatever kind of privilege is at play.

Resistance to linguistic drift is as old as written language. It's probably tied to subconscious understanding that words make thought and thought makes you. So like, someone redefining something seems aggressive and wrong to people because it's a natural reaction to someone essentially explicitly telling you that your understanding of reality is wrong. I'm not sure how accurate the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis actually is, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot of overlap in monolingual people and high resistance to drift vs. those who have studied other languages.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

No one in the world actually cares about "singular vs plural they."

There are lots of "language is prescriptive, not descriptive" assholes out there. Its a kind of crappy "language is objective and grammar rules (that no one remembers) are a fact" mindset that's survived from 19th century modernism.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

Probably my favorite thing about Israelis is how they're so desperate to prove their incredibly safe violent ethnostate is a 24/7 battleground that they just lay claim to the most obscure family links to have their own 'war stories'.

"Think Israel is safe? Yea, think I'm being hyperbolic just to fuel my own bigotry? Well my HUSBAND'S COUSIN would disagree, fucko!!!"

AND it happened the same week she went to the auschwitz museum.

probably the grossest propaganda related to the rockets was the selfie video of the pretty college student huddled up with her dog under the covers.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

eviltastic posted:

There's probably a word for whatever kind of privilege is at play.

As much as I love to rant on and on about white privilege, the issue isn't whiteness, that's just how it's manifesting in our particular culture, the issue is privilege itself.

This is a neat little 20-minute documentary about the conditions on Mount Everest this year. As you can see privileged people the world around have the exact same problems with an entitlement complex/complete lack of empathy. I'm in love with this particular little documentary because it focuses on the perspective of the Sherpas and how they view what's happening to their exploited community/holy mountain.

Note this may be slightly NSFW as it does show several corpse recovery efforts and huge piles of trash/feces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcmH0__c7aw

Like much as I have hurled accusations of privilege at various people in this thread; in my heart of hearts I don't believe any one of you would be comfortable with forcing a sherpa to make multiple trips through the khumbu icefall so that you could dine comfortably in a heated tent on your climb up Everest.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 6, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1136691180878606342

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eviltastic posted:

I'd disagree with your first claim, I've met several. The issue is something more general than trans or genderqueer-specific animus. People have a weird reactionary defensiveness about language and convention that is independent of issues tied to the particular word in question.

Right, I'm not talking about the alt-right assholes who immediately go from "they is plural" to denying the existence of non-binary people. Many of the comments in that article are seeking out (and in replies receptive to) other options for referring to someone in a non-gendered way.

I totally get that the root of it all is that they are uncomfortable with or do not see the importance of incorporating the idea of someone being non-binary into their own life, and insisting that their opinions regarding language should hold is a privileged position flowing from them putting their own comfort above others. Just... why is "they" a thing they feel needs to be defended or in any way inconveniences them? Is it that using "they" makes it too real to them or something and that they want a new word so they can pretend this is a new thing that didn't actually exist before 2010?

It is loving weird.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1136695960111931395?s=19

:chloe:

I got nothing

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DarkHorse posted:

We cannot allow a universe gap

Not invited by anyone that matters (to politico) (it's
shareholders)

I appreciated this :golfclap: Zeno's Universe

And now for something completely different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnJ5f1JMKns

Jesus, every single cop in this video is very obviously protecting specific things, heinous crimes they know of personally and are terrified of being found out. Each and every cop in this video should be in prison or worse

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

rogen is a literal moron, like possibly in a mentally disabled super gullible way.

gently caress that rear end in a top hat and gently caress his bigoted inbred family and gently caress his stupid supporters and lickspittles. all he gets off too is pain and i hope the election hollows him and out NY finishes the job, i hope he empire falls and as do his kids and he dies alone and afraid and bitter in some home with everyone he "loves" in jail or poor.

thats my feeling.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 6, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Joe Rogan used to think the moon landing was fake.

Or he might still think that, he could have gone back after Alex Jones guested for the 20th time

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Wait I’m confused. His list doesn’t include PR. Did they get disaster funding or not?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Damnit Rogan can you please go back to interviewing brilliant people across all of academia and talking about funny poo poo youve done and stop giving these jackasses a platform.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lord Wexia posted:

Wait I’m confused. His list doesn’t include PR. Did they get disaster funding or not?

I believe so,but he's implying once again that they are not Americans and that this should be regarded as foreign aid

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1134944892990447617

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ms. Markle if you're Nasty

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Imagine going through life being forced to do the bare minimum and then expecting to be praised for it.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ms. Markle if you're Nasty

Duchess of Sussex if you're nasty, more like, which I'm here for, because I know that just riles Trump up.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Lord Wexia posted:

I think he believes (or will at least vehemently argue) that they were given an enormous federal payout of $91 billion dollars, predicated upon... well, nothing.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/addysue/status/1136687606945734663

Great Profile on Mckayla Wilkes. Well worth the read.

quote:

Wilkes has also been open about her abortion. She was 19 years old and 12 weeks along when she had the procedure nearly a decade ago.

“It’s not like it’s something easy to do,” she told BuzzFeed News on Sunday. “It’s not an easy decision to make. But I feel like women should have that right. … My body is not a political playground. There’s no room for [politicians] in the room with me and my doctor.”

Wilkes knows her background isn’t traditional for a congressional candidate, but she argues her personal experience with the issues gives her a needed perspective. Right now, she’s working as an administrative assistant at the Pentagon on a contract that will end Friday. If she doesn’t have a new job by the end of the month, she’ll be without insurance. She has high blood pressure, and she’s concerned she won’t be able to get her medication.

“It scares the crap out of me. What am I going to do? Is the Affordable Care Act going to help me?” she mused, picking at a garden salad.

“That’s also what sets me apart from Hoyer and also the majority of people in Congress,” Wilkes added, “because I would not be able to sleep at night knowing that I’m denying my sister health care or that I’m denying my friend a place to live or that I’m denying my classmate a place to live. So, for me, it’s personal.”

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

It’s incredibly cool and good that the President can strongly insinuate that his concern for citizens only manifests if those citizens love him unconditionally without it being a blip on the overall political discourse.

It’s incredibly, wonderfully good and not at all a travesty that the press is busy jerking him off over his “presidential” speech about D-Day. Super cool. Love it. Keep up the focus on what TRULY matters (are troops).

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Madkal posted:

Imagine going through life being forced to do the bare minimum and then expecting to be praised for it.
I don't have to imagine, I'm a White guy.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Prester Jane posted:

Note this may be slightly NSFW as it does show several corpse recovery efforts and huge piles of trash/feces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcmH0__c7aw

Like much as I have hurled accusations of privilege at various people in this thread; in my heart of hearts I don't believe any one of you would be comfortable with forcing a sherpa to make multiple trips through the khumbu icefall so that you could dine comfortably in a heated tent on your climb up Everest.
The doctor is the epitome of white privilege. Making the attempt three times and then musing, "Is it right to ask another person to risk their life to do this? That's a tough one!"

No it's not: If you have to ask that question and you still go through with it, you're an rear end in a top hat.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Cheesus posted:

No it's not: If you have to ask that question and you still go through with it, you're an rear end in a top hat.

Yes, but you're an rear end in a top hat that can stare at itself. There's a distinction.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

rogen is a literal moron, like possibly in a mentally disabled super gullible way.

gently caress that rear end in a top hat and gently caress his bigoted inbred family and gently caress his stupid supporters and lickspittles. all he gets off too is pain and i hope the election hollows him and out NY finishes the job, i hope he empire falls and as do his kids and he dies alone and afraid and bitter in some home with everyone he "loves" in jail or poor.

thats my feeling.

This, except his jail cell is across from trump tower (which has been converted into housing for the poor) in NYC, where the words "trump is a loser" is written on what was his tower is large and in his face for the rest of his days.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oh god.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1136707814053883904

quote:

U.S. and Mexican officials are discussing the outlines of a deal that would dramatically increase Mexico’s immigration enforcement efforts and give the United States far more latitude to deport Central Americans seeking asylum, according to a U.S. official and a Mexican official who cautioned that the accord is not finalized and that President Trump might not accept it.

Upon reading, it's almost certainly not going to happen lol

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1136707383504322560

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1136652761871917057

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1136624576853663749

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1136654555129819138

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cheesus posted:

The doctor is the epitome of white privilege. Making the attempt three times and then musing, "Is it right to ask another person to risk their life to do this? That's a tough one!"

gently caress these mountain climbers. Any rear end in a top hat with $100k can pay a bunch of people to carry them up and then they get to act like they've "accomplished something important". Then they brag about how they're "doing it for their kids and family" as though they're somehow doing good stepping over bodies and leaving a mountain of frozen poo poo and empty oxygen bottles while possibly killing themselves or their guides.

Alternatively, this.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 6, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

When you're too much of a Nazi for the guys who mass-produced Zyklon B.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

tek79 posted:

It's funny when older conservatives don't understand that "young conservative" is synonymous with "Nazi prick rear end in a top hat" in 2019.

Ted Cruz is 48.

He is one of those 'young conservatives' and he is a Nazi prick rear end in a top hat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

O_o

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1136696672480706561

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/JustineStafford/status/1136711094683217920?s=19

It's all kicking off in Dublin, I guess

E: expand for sign

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/JustineStafford/status/1136711094683217920?s=19

It's all kicking off in Dublin, I guess

E: expand for sign

I’d rather have the shits because at least you feel better afterward.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

bobjr posted:

Joe Rogan used to think the moon landing was fake.

Or he might still think that, he could have gone back after Alex Jones guested for the 20th time

That's not his dumbest belief.

Joe Rogan posted:

Killer Whales... theres only been uh a couple instances of them ever killing human beings since 1947, but before 1947, apparently the 1940s, before world war 2, they were killing people all the time, its documented!

And... during world war 2 american fighter pilots practised on killer whales! Thats how they practiced, yeah! Thats how they practised accuracy! And i think killer whales like made a truce!

Like, literally as a fucken species! "lets stop loving with humans!"

And it makes sense if they are THAT intelligent, that someone said, you know, the whales got together and said: "Listen! They are loving us up from the sky, Like we gotta be nice to them!"

I mean, why else would they show mercy on us? Why else would they be so nice to us when they kill dolphins! Dolphins are their cousins!

We dont even look anything like them and they save us all the time!

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1134505382100049920
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1134814849290997760

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 6, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my introduction to post newsradio joe rogan was a post on his blog of the long debunked magic bullet image from the jfk conspiracy book crossfire.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

That's not his dumbest belief.

Any episode that touches on politics or weird fringe philosophers are just about unlistenable unless you also love watching UFO shows on the History channel.

The only episodes that can be tolerable are with comedians who are left/non-political, or with respected credible scientists, which pretty much eliminates about 3/4 of his episodes.

Even then, he's pretty dumb and you are only there to laugh or to listen to his guest. (He's high-profile enough to attract legit interesting guests now)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Joe has always been dumb as gently caress and bad.

Rogen or Biden you ask? Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Biden/Rogan 2020

Yo Joe!