Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure what thread this would go in but does anyone here with an NVidia Shield know if the Bluetooth range can be helped by some sort of USB dongle? I just got my wife a very nice pair of Bluetooth headphones for mother's day, so she can watch the Shield while the baby is sleeping. The problem is the Bluetooth range on the Shield is apparently terrible. I can be standing 10 feet away and the audio starts cutting out and garbling like crazy. I know it's not the headphones as I tried a different pair of Bluetooth headphones and had the same issue. I know my home isn't receiving some crazy interference because I have a cheap Bluetooth speaker from Best Buy and I can have my phone 3 rooms away and it still works. My Shield is using ethernet and there are no other wifi devices near it, so it's not interference. Like I said, in the same room my phone can connect to a Bluetooth speaker without issue, with the phone being 3 rooms away.

I can't find much online about what brand of Bluetooth USB dongle, if any, will work in the NVidia Shield TV's USB port. I am using it for only the headphones, not any gaming controllers or anything.

he;lp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Not sure what thread this would go in but does anyone here with an NVidia Shield know if the Bluetooth range can be helped by some sort of USB dongle? I just got my wife a very nice pair of Bluetooth headphones for mother's day, so she can watch the Shield while the baby is sleeping. The problem is the Bluetooth range on the Shield is apparently terrible. I can be standing 10 feet away and the audio starts cutting out and garbling like crazy. I know it's not the headphones as I tried a different pair of Bluetooth headphones and had the same issue. I know my home isn't receiving some crazy interference because I have a cheap Bluetooth speaker from Best Buy and I can have my phone 3 rooms away and it still works. My Shield is using ethernet and there are no other wifi devices near it, so it's not interference. Like I said, in the same room my phone can connect to a Bluetooth speaker without issue, with the phone being 3 rooms away.

I can't find much online about what brand of Bluetooth USB dongle, if any, will work in the NVidia Shield TV's USB port. I am using it for only the headphones, not any gaming controllers or anything.

he;lp

An external dongle isn't going to work for that. The proprietary ones that, for example, keyboards use (though those are mostly RF) would, but the Shield doesn't support external BT adapters for sound.

The 2015 Shield model remote has a headphone jack and worked ok, though I think I remember range problems with it as well. The game controller still has the jack and might work better. Though that won't help with your current setup.

It's just really touchy. You can't go by what other stuff does or doesn't work because there are too many variables at play. I get about 15 feet or so range out of my setup (using Sony WH1kxm3 headphones) and it works well, but I had to do some tweaking, scanning with a WiFi interference app, and changing wifi channels (my Shield is hardwired as well, doesn't matter, it's your wifi map in general that is usually the problem) before I got it to work. Prior to that it was touchy and disconnected a lot.

Basically, keep dicking around with it, check Reddit, etc., every setup is going to be different.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

You can get a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into your TV rather than the Shield- there are a gazillion of them on Amazon - that would probably do the trick.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dicty Brojangles posted:

You can get a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into your TV rather than the Shield- there are a gazillion of them on Amazon - that would probably do the trick.

I actually thought of that but then I realized she wouldn't be able to pause which she does a lot.

Ixian posted:

An external dongle isn't going to work for that. The proprietary ones that, for example, keyboards use (though those are mostly RF) would, but the Shield doesn't support external BT adapters for sound.

The 2015 Shield model remote has a headphone jack and worked ok, though I think I remember range problems with it as well. The game controller still has the jack and might work better. Though that won't help with your current setup.

It's just really touchy. You can't go by what other stuff does or doesn't work because there are too many variables at play. I get about 15 feet or so range out of my setup (using Sony WH1kxm3 headphones) and it works well, but I had to do some tweaking, scanning with a WiFi interference app, and changing wifi channels (my Shield is hardwired as well, doesn't matter, it's your wifi map in general that is usually the problem) before I got it to work. Prior to that it was touchy and disconnected a lot.

Basically, keep dicking around with it, check Reddit, etc., every setup is going to be different.

Thank you. I actually completely forgot about the fact that I could change the wifi channel on my router. It definitely can just be interference with that

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have a Gen1 Shield and use both the joystick and remote for headphones and don't have any issues if I walk behind a wall that is say, 10-20 feet away.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bonzo posted:

I have a Gen1 Shield and use both the joystick and remote for headphones and don't have any issues if I walk behind a wall that is say, 10-20 feet away.

Yeah I just wanted her to be able to walk around on the same floor without the headphones wonking out. The Shield she would be connecting to is the latest version which supposedly has virtually no antenna inside it or something. (people are apparently soldering in antennas directly to the motherboard and reporting great success)

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

Windows 10 Pro, so not sure if it'll work the same. I've heard of rclone but don't know much about it.

I run it on both Windows and Linux servers to back up different stuff to google drive and once it's installed it works exactly the same.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Sweet. Yeah, turns out I have roughly 6TB and want to just use good ol' plain Backblaze with rclone to back everything up (encrypted). B2 seems to be more enterprise/Linux?

FWIW with the Shield I've found it hit and miss. I've had mine running like a charm (strictly as a streaming box) since mid-2016 and have never had any problems with Bluetooth (controllers, Bose headphones etc) but my friend bought one late last year and has had a ton of Bluetooth connectivity issues.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 13, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking in my router for which wifi channel to use and I'm not sure I know which one to use. I read online that channel 1, 6, and 11 are the only ones you can use. Why is that? I'd like to use whichever one would interfere less with Bluetooth.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm looking in my router for which wifi channel to use and I'm not sure I know which one to use. I read online that channel 1, 6, and 11 are the only ones you can use. Why is that? I'd like to use whichever one would interfere less with Bluetooth.

They are not the "only" ones you can use, but using those particular channels is the only way to end up with 3 non-overlapping chunks of wifi spectrum.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Find some software that’ll scan the local networks and give you a chart of what channels are most in use. 5ghz is often more clear because it doesn’t travel as far as 2.4ghz, but it might not be suitable for you for that exact same reason (or you might have hardware that doesn’t support. I run both for those reasons).

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Weird, my Shield is in the basement and I've walked around other rooms and even gone upstairs to the kitchen or bathroom without any Bluetooth headphone connection issues.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you both! Does bluetooth, uh, use a channel? Meaning out of 1, 6, or 11 is one better regarding interfering less wit Bluetooth? Sorry if that's a dumb question, nothing is really coming up on Google

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Thank you both! Does bluetooth, uh, use a channel? Meaning out of 1, 6, or 11 is one better regarding interfering less wit Bluetooth? Sorry if that's a dumb question, nothing is really coming up on Google

Bluetooth uses 2.4ghz and hops between channels at a very fast rate so there's no one "magic" channel to avoid. Usually it isn't a problem but the antenna in the new Shields is pretty poo poo, from all accounts, so something in the 2.4 range is probably stepping on it. Try moving different channels on your router and see what works better. An app that scans how crowded the channel space is can help as well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ixian posted:

Bluetooth uses 2.4ghz and hops between channels at a very fast rate so there's no one "magic" channel to avoid. Usually it isn't a problem but the antenna in the new Shields is pretty poo poo, from all accounts, so something in the 2.4 range is probably stepping on it. Try moving different channels on your router and see what works better. An app that scans how crowded the channel space is can help as well.

Yeah I was going to do the wifi scan thing but I figured it didn't make a difference since as you said, it wouldn't make a difference with Bluetooth. Also there's only three channels I'd have to try. Well, actually only two since I was using channel 11.

It looks like I'll have to open this thing up and solder some external Bluetooth antennas. Fun!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

Speaking of storage, does anybody have a preferred encrypted backup based in a cloud? I know Backblaze is popular but all my drives are mapped and I don't think they like that. A lot of my blu ray rips are on a USB external and that would sure suck if I lose it. I think overall my collection is around 4TB currently.

Does it need to be remote backup though? 4 TB isn't much content (should be <$100 for another drive of at least that capacity and the WD 10 TB external was just $160 over the last 24 hours for reference) and that much video content is probably not mission-critical such that you couldn't stand to store a backup drive somewhere safe locally.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Does it need to be remote backup though? 4 TB isn't much content (should be <$100 for another drive of at least that capacity and the WD 10 TB external was just $160 over the last 24 hours for reference) and that much video content is probably not mission-critical such that you couldn't stand to store a backup drive somewhere safe locally.

Yeah, I'm just gonna do that. It turns out it's more like 6TB but point remains. I actually did get that 10TB for $160 a while ago and was going to shuck it but I'll just do this for now. Is there any good software on W10 to sync my drives with the external?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah, I'm just gonna do that. It turns out it's more like 6TB but point remains. I actually did get that 10TB for $160 a while ago and was going to shuck it but I'll just do this for now. Is there any good software on W10 to sync my drives with the external?

Yes! I use FreeFileSync for exactly this purpose! I have it setup to both backup my PMS directory once in awhile, and my media drive whenever I add or change content. I have them setup to copy the original drive to the backup (you can do other things like synchronize two drives if you make changes to both separately, like how My Briefcase or whatever it was called was originally intended to work, but you don't need that for this scenario.) I can add content, or rename/reorganize it to my heart's content on the original drive and FreeFileSync will handle making all the changes to the backup drive. (Note that there's a real-time sync feature that I don't use; I run the backups manually periodically because the backup drives are offline most of the time, as is ideal practice.)

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I got the $75 lifetime sub offer yesterday and figured might as well even though I don't use any premium features.

Going to mess around with the Ota dvr, is there a recommended tuner? My Plex server is an ubuntu vm on esxi.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

phosdex posted:

I got the $75 lifetime sub offer yesterday and figured might as well even though I don't use any premium features.

Going to mess around with the Ota dvr, is there a recommended tuner? My Plex server is an ubuntu vm on esxi.

I use a HDHomeRun duo. No issues.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

phosdex posted:

Any of the HDHomeRun tuners work just fine.

Personally I have a older HDHomeRun Extend. It is a dual tuner model with hardware h264 encoder.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Just a shot in the dark, does anyone have a Plex Pass $75 code they don't need?

The DVR setup just requires a tuner card and active "cable" or antenna? It might be worth it for some stuff.

Does it integrate with your shows already on Plex? If I DVR Supernatural and I've already got the previous seasons ripped, does it just show there?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I want to know where the prime 6 is.

I’d like to get a basic package so I have no reception issues with locals and a handful of channels all tied into Plex.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

The DVR setup just requires a tuner card and active "cable" or antenna? It might be worth it for some stuff.

Does it integrate with your shows already on Plex? If I DVR Supernatural and I've already got the previous seasons ripped, does it just show there?

Yeah, it integrates seamlessly with shows you already have downloaded. Everything works so much more nicely now than back in the days of Windows Media Center and cable card tuners.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irritated Goat posted:

Just a shot in the dark, does anyone have a Plex Pass $75 code they don't need?

From what I remember, they're tied to the account they were emailed to.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, it integrates seamlessly with shows you already have downloaded. Everything works so much more nicely now than back in the days of Windows Media Center and cable card tuners.

Does it remove ads?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

EL BROMANCE posted:

From what I remember, they're tied to the account they were emailed to.

drat. I got one that expired in Nov 2018 when I couldn't afford it. Now that I can, I'm hoping another one shows up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Smashing Link posted:

Does it remove ads?

It has the option to, but I've never tried it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

drat. I got one that expired in Nov 2018 when I couldn't afford it. Now that I can, I'm hoping another one shows up.

Email plex support and see if they can hook you up

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I have and it works pretty well. I haven’t encountered any issues with it but ymmv.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

sellouts posted:

I want to know where the prime 6 is.

I’d like to get a basic package so I have no reception issues with locals and a handful of channels all tied into Plex.

Saaaaaaame. I will pre-order if necessary and then return my cable box. The wait is tough

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Enos Cabell posted:

It has the option to, but I've never tried it.

I use it. Works for me. I havent checked every recording, but so far so good

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I'm switching to a new "server" for Plex. All my media is on external drives.

As I understand it, all I need to do is install Plex on the new server and then point the TV and Movie etc libraries to the attached drives and Plex will re-index it. I think I loose my played/not played indicators? Is there a way to keep them?

Is there a smarter way to do this? Are there any special settings that I should be remembering that make local play easy. (I'd be just doing this right now but I forgot to turn off the sleep setting and can't remote the server).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

porktree posted:

I'm switching to a new "server" for Plex. All my media is on external drives.

As I understand it, all I need to do is install Plex on the new server and then point the TV and Movie etc libraries to the attached drives and Plex will re-index it. I think I loose my played/not played indicators? Is there a way to keep them?

Is there a smarter way to do this? Are there any special settings that I should be remembering that make local play easy. (I'd be just doing this right now but I forgot to turn off the sleep setting and can't remote the server).

In-depth guide to follow when moving your Plex install to a new server: https://support.plex.tv/articles/201370363-move-an-install-to-another-system/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Just edit your docker file to point to the new mounts and bob's your uncle. Wakka wakka! :v:

What's the overunder on a decent dedicated plex server these days? My ancient laptop gets the job done, but chugs like crazy for 4k stuff. I'd also likely run a VM or two as well so I may have to get proper stupid.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

teagone posted:

In-depth guide to follow when moving your Plex install to a new server: https://support.plex.tv/articles/201370363-move-an-install-to-another-system/

Perfect, thanks.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I feel like I'm missing something really dumb and obvious here, but I can't figure it out. Currently I'm running my Plex server in Windows. I want to migrate it to a Docker container in linux. I was able to spin up a container with no issue, but when I login to the web interface with my Plex account it does not give me any option to add media to the Docker server. All I see is my Windows server that is also connected to the account.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I feel like I'm missing something really dumb and obvious here, but I can't figure it out. Currently I'm running my Plex server in Windows. I want to migrate it to a Docker container in linux. I was able to spin up a container with no issue, but when I login to the web interface with my Plex account it does not give me any option to add media to the Docker server. All I see is my Windows server that is also connected to the account.

Not sure I follow you. Are you able to hit the container's web page at [Local IP]:[Port]? Can you post your Docker file?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Quick pro tip to anyone who uses an NVidia Shield (or possibly any Android device with a USB port, but I can just speak on Shields): you can plug in one of those PS3 eyetoy motion cameras that are literally $5 on ebay and if you are like me and use a universal remote, you will get back voice functionality. So now when I click on youtube's search field I don't have to cancel out every single time because it wants me to speak the search term. I didn't even need to do anything wacky, I literally just plugged it into the USB port. Bonus is the mic is really good and will pick up audio from a room away (I just tucked it behind the shelf because I don't need to see a bright blue light and camera pointing at me all day). Anyway I thought this was pretty cool and figured it would be useful info to some of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Quick pro tip to anyone who uses an NVidia Shield (or possibly any Android device with a USB port, but I can just speak on Shields): you can plug in one of those PS3 eyetoy motion cameras that are literally $5 on ebay and if you are like me and use a universal remote, you will get back voice functionality. So now when I click on youtube's search field I don't have to cancel out every single time because it wants me to speak the search term. I didn't even need to do anything wacky, I literally just plugged it into the USB port. Bonus is the mic is really good and will pick up audio from a room away (I just tucked it behind the shelf because I don't need to see a bright blue light and camera pointing at me all day). Anyway I thought this was pretty cool and figured it would be useful info to some of you.

Thats great! I was looking for a solution for this... I've never found a remote with a microphone that actually worked correctly, and the official Nvidia remote is terrible.

Does it work for the always on "ok, google" activation?