Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Should there be a new thread for BG3 discussion?

Would make sense, it's not using the Infinity Engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I was just making one...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891331

I was sick of following discussion across several threads

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So sticking here, then, what does this all mean for Beamdog and any further IE games? There'd been some rumors about BD doing Baldur's Gate III themselves, so that's clearly not a thing. Where, if anywhere, does Beamdog go with the classic engine, anyway?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jng2058 posted:

So sticking here, then, what does this all mean for Beamdog and any further IE games? There'd been some rumors about BD doing Baldur's Gate III themselves, so that's clearly not a thing. Where, if anywhere, does Beamdog go with the classic engine, anyway?

Planescape Torment II? Icewind Dale III?

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

jng2058 posted:

They kinda took this off the table a while ago, but maybe they try and reverse engineer the IWD2 version of the engine to do an EE of that? Or alternately the source code and documentation that definitely doesn't exist anymore mysteriously falls off the back of a truck into their laps or something

I guess there's nothing saying they couldn't try and also get the license for a non-BG D&D game but that seems like it might be a stretch

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
In all honesty, it sounds like they're kind of stuck doing support on the Enhanced Editions and doing minor titles. I get the feeling they had more ambitious plans, but they just didn't work.

All in all, while it's not super-exciting for the fans, as long as it works for them, it might not be that bad.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i know beamdog made some pitches to larger publishers that didn't work out. they also hired and lost david gaider. whatever they're trying to get off the ground it isn't very effective.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, I dunno. They proved they could make new IE content with Siege, but that was pretty short compared to a full game, and since then they've been content to do more EEs rather than their own stuff. Problem is they're close to the bottom of the barrel for more EE content. I guess maybe they could do Temple of Elemental Evil, but the Gold Box stuff would require so much work it's pretty much making whole new games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really really like Siege and hoped Beamdog would earn their goal with getting BG3. While I don't care too much for Larian's games, at the very least they are quite good and there are far worse devs to get this license.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Its not at all likely, but I wouldn't mind a TOB remake that actually fleshes out the story properly and isn't just a lovely unbalanced boss rush

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

bike tory posted:

Its not at all likely, but I wouldn't mind a TOB remake that actually fleshes out the story properly and isn't just a lovely unbalanced boss rush

Not a bad idea. Beamdog already proved they could do more BG content, why not do an "expansion" to TOB that slots into the game and fills it out?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Basic Chunnel posted:

Eg they’re really overstating the importance of multiplayer to the BG games
Multiplayer is the only thing Larian have ever done really well.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Icewind Dale III?
:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

God i would love a modern Icewind 3. Pillars' white march xpac was such a tease

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Savy Saracen salad posted:

I am totally fine with the story having nothing to do with 1 or 2. But dear god if it is turn based..... ughhh disgusting! I hope it is not turn based, I would take any other system even if its action oriented as long as it is not turn based.

Real time that is not direct action controlled sucks rear end and almost always has. Gold Box AdnD pretty much destroys Infinity Engine when it comes to combat.

Vvvv NOT EVEN CLOSE. People have been saying this since Baldur's Gate. I'm sorry but its always been unsatisfying bullshit that isn't remotely as good and satisfying and actual controlling as Gold Box. Like gimme GB combat with 5th ed rules and keep the exploring and such from real time. Just not the opening section of Elemental Evil which was so loving bad. Vvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 7, 2019

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Turn on Autopause: End of Round

There you go, turn based combat.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm guessing this thread is as good as any for NWNchat, so go on, show of hands: Who here actually released anything on the NWN toolset, or how many have just made a cool-rear end adventure that literally nobody but you have seen?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

there are far worse devs to get this license.

It could have gone to Obsidian.

:shudder:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Songbearer posted:

I'm guessing this thread is as good as any for NWNchat, so go on, show of hands: Who here actually released anything on the NWN toolset, or how many have just made a cool-rear end adventure that literally nobody but you have seen?

I haven't released or even finished it, but I've been farting around with a small module for about a month. It's not anything special, just a tavern with a bunch of wierdos in it right now, but I'm trying to be more proactive about working on it. It was mainly a creative outlet for myself more than anything.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Put me on the "very optimistic" list. Larian did good work with DOS 1 and 2, and I bet a lot of their devs played and look up to doing Baldur's Gate right.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Olive Branch posted:

Put me on the "very optimistic" list. Larian did good work with DOS 1 and 2, and I bet a lot of their devs played and look up to doing Baldur's Gate right.
I am genuinely curious because I know nothing about them as a developer - how do you know that?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The RPS interview mentions offhand that a lot of devs were excited to get the license, not that you’d expect otherwise?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I am genuinely curious because I know nothing about them as a developer - how do you know that?

I don't think you work for a company making 3/4th perspective western rpgs without at least having a healthy respect for Baldur's Gate.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I don't think you work for a company making 3/4th perspective western rpgs without at least having a healthy respect for Baldur's Gate.

Their first game (Divine Divinity) was basically shoving Diablo and Ultima 7 into a blender, which I'll admit doesn't necessarily sound like it supports your point, but it does in my head.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Songbearer posted:

I've released mods for NWN, but no modules. I have roughly 50 modules where I've tested stuff and 2-3 persistent worlds that are no longer around or not running anymore.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Was getting the itch to go through the Bhaalspawn saga again as I am wont to do every year/18 months. Seems like a good a time as any based on BG3 being announced. As always I get stuck at character creation so I'm throwing caution to the wind and opening up suggestions. My usual go-to is a half-elf Cleric/Ranger multiclass and I'm looking to mix it up a little and try something fun and different. Alignment, race, class, kit, all on the table.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Backstab exploding human Kensai/Thief

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I've never understood pure thieves and have always used invisibility as a crutch. What skill in stealth do I need for stuff

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

For stealth, there is an initial check to see if you successfully hide or not. If you succeed, there is an additional check each round (every six seconds) to determine if you remain hidden or not.

The check for hiding and staying hidden is the same and determined as follows: (Your skill in Hide in Shadows + Your skill in Move Silently) / 2. If you're outdoors during daytime, that chance is halved. If you're indoors, the chance is cut by one third.

To make an example: Say you have 100% in Hide in Shadows and 80% in Move Silently. Your chance to hide and remain hidden during nighttime is thus (100%+80%)/2 = 90%. During daytime, it goes down to 45%. Indoors, it'd be 60%.

Enemy perception doesn't factor into this. It's as easy to hide from a Mindflayer as from a Kobold. However, a few enemies can see through stealth.

You can't hide if an enemy is in your line of sight unless you're playing a Shadowdancer.

To be totally safe under any circumstances, you need a combined Hide in Shadows and Move Silently score of 400. In practice, 250-300 is enough to reliably do what you want, especially since you're usually in a position where you can re-try the initial hide attempt if it fails.

There are some finer aspects to stealth, but this is the essential information. Feel free to ask if anything's unclear.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Thanks for the post! Say I'm making a kensai thief, do you just level 1:1 move : hide?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Dual Kensai to Thief rather than multiclass because you're human, only the other races can multi. Be sure you're on the up and up on the perils of dualing, though. Once you dual you lose your primary class skills until you're one level higher in your second class and will be very weak.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 7, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Thanks for the post! Say I'm making a kensai thief, do you just level 1:1 move : hide?

The game uses the average of these two skills, so it doesn't matter if you put everythinng in Move, everything in Hide, or a mix between the two. Just be aware that all Thief skills cap at 255%.

If you mean whether you should invest in the other skills, that depends on your party composition. You'll want someone to be able to disarm traps (and open locks, though you can compensate with Potions of Master Thievery for that), but it doesn't necessarily have to be the main character. Setting traps can be useful, but Fighter/Thief hybrids don't really need that because their strength comes from their physical attacks.

Honestly, if you're not that experienced with Thieves, I'd recommend a Fighter/Thief multi over a Kensai/Thief dual. The multi is more forgiving to play since you don't have to plan ahead and a strong party member from level 1 all the way to the end. The Kensai/Thief doesn't come truly into his own until you reach HLA, which, if you're playing with a party, won't happen until you're a fair way through BG2.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 7, 2019

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can live without wearing any armor as a pre-HLA kensai/thief. For me, the big fun is the surprise 100-300 point backstabs with the Staff of Ryn or Staff of Striking with 5 pips in staves. Gib a sucka before the fight even starts, then chug a potion of invisibility and repeat.

Dualing at 9 (I think... deffo not 7...) will get you your fighter levels back in the last 1/3 of Siege of Dragonspear. Before SOD you had to trudge through a bit of BG2 as an underleveled thief.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Samuel Clemens posted:

For stealth, there is an initial check to see if you successfully hide or not. If you succeed, there is an additional check each round (every six seconds) to determine if you remain hidden or not.

The check for hiding and staying hidden is the same and determined as follows: (Your skill in Hide in Shadows + Your skill in Move Silently) / 2. If you're outdoors during daytime, that chance is halved. If you're indoors, the chance is cut by one third.

To make an example: Say you have 100% in Hide in Shadows and 80% in Move Silently. Your chance to hide and remain hidden during nighttime is thus (100%+80%)/2 = 90%. During daytime, it goes down to 45%. Indoors, it'd be 60%.

Enemy perception doesn't factor into this. It's as easy to hide from a Mindflayer as from a Kobold. However, a few enemies can see through stealth.

You can't hide if an enemy is in your line of sight unless you're playing a Shadowdancer.

To be totally safe under any circumstances, you need a combined Hide in Shadows and Move Silently score of 400. In practice, 250-300 is enough to reliably do what you want, especially since you're usually in a position where you can re-try the initial hide attempt if it fails.

There are some finer aspects to stealth, but this is the essential information. Feel free to ask if anything's unclear.
This is a great writeup. The only thing I would add is that in BGII there are mages that cast "Truesight" when your invisible thief passes into their Line of Sight despite the fact that they should not know that you are there.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Also shadows are a thing that exist on the outdoor maps, your character model looks slightly different. I'm pretty sure that works into the bonus/malus as well somehow but don't have the figures.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
With the announcement, I want to go through BG1 and 2 again, but I want to play something powerful so I can have a mostly easy time getting through the story. I have played the hell out of both games many years ago. What's the choice for race/class? I think I remember Cavalier and/or Sorcerer being good.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

That Paladin sub-class that was immune to Fear and a lot of other stuff, while only losing access to missile weapons was really loving good

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is a great writeup. The only thing I would add is that in BGII there are mages that cast "Truesight" when your invisible thief passes into their Line of Sight despite the fact that they should not know that you are there.

They have keen ears and hear your footsteps.

I love BG2, but the game includes a ton of bullshit.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
It seems to be coded as a contingency spell, so I've always rationalized it as the wizard or whatever has cast "contingency: cast true sight if there's an invisible being nearby".

So I put on a cloak of non-detection and gib them.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

frajaq posted:

That Paladin sub-class that was immune to Fear and a lot of other stuff, while only losing access to missile weapons was really loving good

Yeah, Cavaliers and Inquisitors are both good. Inquisitors are a one-man disarmament program for the arms race of late BG2 magic.

Berserkers are very straightforward and dangerous, since their rage makes them immune to basically everything that would slow down or disable them. Dual-classing Berserker to Cleric is apparently pretty legit.

Fighter/Mages and Blades are both good hybrid characters, Blades being much better for levelling up and ease-of-use while F/Ms get stronger in the end. Dual-classing a Kensai to Mage at level 7 or 9 is the classic cheese method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
In people's experience is it worth/enjoyable dualling a kensai at 13 to a thief or is it too much of a pita to get your kensai levels back and 9 is more preferable (Dillbag above said that dualling at 9 meant that they got their skills back at the end of SoD which seems... Fine?)