Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
How good is Grimy's Loot Mod and how safe is it to add it mid-campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think it breaks the intended research path of the game to a pretty intense degree and as such isn’t very good at all.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I dunno I kinda like it, some of the extra mod effects are kinda neat and I think it's cool to have some random poo poo to get sometimes

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sometimes, the game throws utter bullshit at you. Other times, the Assassin rolls Shell Shocked as their weakness, and camps next to something explosive...and you’ve got a Reaper with Remote Start in range.

The Reaper dropped 20 damage on the Assassin’s head, and she went back home real quick :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Remote start is the most fun ability in the whole game

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The loot mod is fun if you cheese it to make boxes super common and effortless to unlock, and play on the hardest difficulty with larger pod sizes. Turns the game into a slugfest spectacle that isn't really XCOM, but Excessive Overkill wasn't really Unreal Tournament, mods are great, hail satan.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Basically what will happen with loot mod is you will decide if you want to spend a day or whatever of research time on rolling the dice on opening a box / you have exhausted the research you want to do right now and need a filler project

You get to choose what's in the box, from 4 options, presumably these are quantum loot boxes and observing them decides what's inside?

You'll get like a gun that gives a free perk or armor that gives you some shields or regen etc, and you only get that one unique copy of it. Throw it onto a soldier that benefits from it's properties, or sell it on the black market.

I know I'm getting towards the end of the game when the whole barracks has custom armor, basically.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Captain Foo posted:

Remote start is the most fun ability in the whole game

This is why i always take Remote Start Purifiers mod. More things to boom.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just wondering, is there any rumor around the campfire about XCOM3? I guess it's going to be a "Terror from the Deep" thing, but has _anything_ come up? Can we expect to learn something from the E3? I reckon a year from now would be a good time to release it, no? What features might we expect? I personally wish for a "night op" gameplay, with reduced visibility (possibly enhanced by night vision things).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s going to have all the parts I want and none of the ones you want

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Furism posted:

Just wondering, is there any rumor around the campfire about XCOM3? I guess it's going to be a "Terror from the Deep" thing,

last i heard jake still hates tftd, so despite all the teases in EU/xcom2, I have my doubts

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Playing TFTD is a marker for masochism. I say they with an unfinished run, on an artifact site mission that I just can’t bring myself to go try to finish.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Icon Of Sin posted:

Playing TFTD is a marker for masochism. I say they with an unfinished run, on an artifact site mission that I just can’t bring myself to go try to finish.

At least the reason for TFTD being so hard is amusing.

People complained the first game was too easy, so they made TFTD a lot harder. But the reason the first one was easy was because playing on any difficulty above the lowest was impossible due to a bug.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

WARNING: incoming chat about a modded game

Every now and then you get an amazing hack reward that just saves a map that was doomed from the start.

I've got larger pod sizes and the MOCX / Marauders / Phantom stuff, so more pods. Activate 4 in move 1 -- it's a small map, mission is to protect the terminal, yellow move my concealed reaper but got revealed (lol).

There's no way I'm getting out of this without taking major losses, and the terminal is probably going to get destroyed, too.

BUT a nearby security lamppost has the hack reward to refund all spent action points this turn.

Completely saved the mission and I came out with a win with just 1 injury to my shotgunner.

I find it so rare to get a nice hack reward that I'm excited about, but I practically screamed out in relief when I saw I could get a whole nother free turn.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

BlazetheInferno posted:

At least the reason for TFTD being so hard is amusing.

People complained the first game was too easy, so they made TFTD a lot harder. But the reason the first one was easy was because playing on any difficulty above the lowest was impossible due to a bug.

Didn't TFTD also end up having the opposite bug, where reloading a saved game reset the difficulty to the highest level, or was it just so aggressively spiteful that it felt that way?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, There's a pretty immediately discernible difference between rookie and superhuman run in TFTD.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The issue is that rookie in TFTD is harder than superhuman in the original game, even though no-one had ever actually played superhuman in the original.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Gulping Again posted:

Didn't TFTD also end up having the opposite bug, where reloading a saved game reset the difficulty to the highest level, or was it just so aggressively spiteful that it felt that way?

Like Serephina said:

quote:

The rumour goes that a new bug was supposedly introduced as a result, where TFTD's difficulty would reset to Superhuman instead of Beginner. The facts of the matter are that, while the overall difficulty of the game was increased, TFTD does manage to correctly keep track of which specific mode you're supposed to be playing in.
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Known_Bugs#Difficulty_Bug

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Gulping Again posted:

aggressively spiteful

Best summary I’ve ever seen of TFTD.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
I've been playing UFO Defense for the past couple of weeks and I think I love this game, I wish New!XCOM had all this d e p t h to it

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you like tedium, maybe you should try Long War!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I genuinely cant play X-Com and -likes that use TUs anymore. The XCOM two move system has me spoiled.

I tried real hard to play UFO: Extraterrestrials again recently but man, it just feels so clumsy and unwieldy

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
man I can't imagine playing long war, the idea of having to do MORE missions seems nuts to me

by the time I get to the end of the campaign I'm already kinda sick of doing missions

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Icon Of Sin posted:

Best summary I’ve ever seen of TFTD.

It's almost too accurate. makes me want to start another UFO Defense run though, maybe I should do that side by side with a heavily modded XCOM2 to confuse myself as much as possible

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Danaru posted:

I genuinely cant play X-Com and -likes that use TUs anymore. The XCOM two move system has me spoiled.

Good news! Aside from the die-hards doing Xenonauts 2, you never have to again. Virtually everyone has stolen the two move for this kind of game. Hell, there's the weird mutant animal game doing it now!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Stefan Prodan posted:

man I can't imagine playing long war, the idea of having to do MORE missions seems nuts to me

by the time I get to the end of the campaign I'm already kinda sick of doing missions

Yeah I sometimes wish I could just do a mission simulator or something like the way covert ops work but I imagine it wouldn't work all that well.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Bogart posted:

If you like tedium, maybe you should try Long War!

I already play OG Long War!! I just like how low level everything is in UFO D, the lil dudes are more defined by what they're holding rather than the 39 abilities they have and losing your A Team isn't a run ender. The TU system isnt horrible when you really get the hang of it, if you have good positioning you can let off more shots per turn than just one and watching it miss (this time you get to watch up to three shots miss!!!!!).

The game..... is good! I thought to go back to Xenonauts after deciphering the TU system and i couldnt lmao its just that bad of a game regardless.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
TFTD: Imagine a Lobsterman hiding in a cruise-ship closet... forever.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I like in UFO defense when my medic gets knocked out someone else can pick up his med kit and revive him.

Edit- and units standing on the same tile as bodies is legit. Got screwed on a Lost mission because every tile was taken by lost and I couldn't drop my unconcious member to fight out of it.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Shine posted:

The loot mod is fun if you cheese it to make boxes super common and effortless to unlock, and play on the hardest difficulty with larger pod sizes. Turns the game into a slugfest spectacle that isn't really XCOM, but Excessive Overkill wasn't really Unreal Tournament, mods are great, hail satan.

dunno if it's still around, but there used to be a submod for grimy's that'd let you pull out his perk-like weapon mods, then put them into any absurd combination you could think of. I think you could have up to three slotted into some gear, like gremlins. this thing had one of lily's bullshit abilities, a shock attack that'd kill half a sectopod and I think it carried a couple of incendiary grenades too.

there was also an auto-reloading overwatch rifle, didn't matter if a rookie was holding it, they'd never stop firing on the ayys turn... to the point where it kinda got annoying.

mods are great.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a mission in XCOM 2 where a sniper got shot into bleed out and fell off a truck, but his hitbox still counted as on top of the truck so nobody could pick him up even when their foot was clipping through his chest.

That mission also involved Mox grappling to a phantom tile above the map when trying and failing to Wrath a lost, and heavily featured my soldiers being unable to shoot through a chain link fence. Then to top it all off the game hard crashed my PS4 whenever we landed back at the Avenger and the only thing we could do was reload a save from before the mission.

The PS4 version is a Very Good Port

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
The pacing of WotC has always felt a little off to me, so I don't mind having more missions during a campaign. The game wants you to move through the story quickly and it introduces new enemies accordingly, but I think it could be slowed down a few notches without losing the overall difficulty. Ideally, I'd like a more gradual force level increase and some kind of pod size adjustment, maybe incrementally or dynamically in response to your performance, so that there's more an of ebb and flow with your squad's strength. That being said, I'd also like a bunch of strategy layer changes, so maybe I just want a Long War that isn't tedious.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Potato Jones posted:

The pacing of WotC has always felt a little off to me, so I don't mind having more missions during a campaign. The game wants you to move through the story quickly and it introduces new enemies accordingly, but I think it could be slowed down a few notches without losing the overall difficulty. Ideally, I'd like a more gradual force level increase and some kind of pod size adjustment, maybe incrementally or dynamically in response to your performance, so that there's more an of ebb and flow with your squad's strength. That being said, I'd also like a bunch of strategy layer changes, so maybe I just want a Long War that isn't tedious.

Same. LW2 slows it down too much for me but I'd like a happy medium of some sort.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

jfood posted:

dunno if it's still around, but there used to be a submod for grimy's that'd let you pull out his perk-like weapon mods, then put them into any absurd combination you could think of. I think you could have up to three slotted into some gear, like gremlins. this thing had one of lily's bullshit abilities, a shock attack that'd kill half a sectopod and I think it carried a couple of incendiary grenades too.

there was also an auto-reloading overwatch rifle, didn't matter if a rookie was holding it, they'd never stop firing on the ayys turn... to the point where it kinda got annoying.

mods are great.

Yes! I forgot to mention that I use a "remove any attachment" mod with that setup. My favorite thing was a sniper rifle which had a mod that made it much stronger, but unable to reload. I added to that a mod that buffs the hell out of the final shot in a magazine, and some other big damage mod—I forget the details. Anyway, it ended up with something like +75% hit chance/damage/crit chance, but could only fire once per mission. I named it The "Oh poo poo" Button.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Danaru posted:

I had a mission in XCOM 2 where a sniper got shot into bleed out and fell off a truck, but his hitbox still counted as on top of the truck so nobody could pick him up even when their foot was clipping through his chest.

That mission also involved Mox grappling to a phantom tile above the map when trying and failing to Wrath a lost, and heavily featured my soldiers being unable to shoot through a chain link fence. Then to top it all off the game hard crashed my PS4 whenever we landed back at the Avenger and the only thing we could do was reload a save from before the mission.

The PS4 version is a Very Good Port
It’s the only version that offers a challenge for true hardcore gamers: Ironman Lost missions that can crash and eat your save at any moment! Happened to me twice!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Ahahaah, some one added a god drat tank for people to use in X-com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3y1ntTJLM

Its actually well animated with a bunch of cool looking weapons that is just completely over powered.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1768418191

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Bradford: :byodood: IF IT FITS IT GOES ON THE MISSION

Firebrand: :smith:...

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I got a good laugh out of the tank just instantly revealing the squad as soon as it started trundling along.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, it looks like it was heavily based on Sectopods who also do that.

Goddamn that's some great animation work though. Seriously impressive stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm starting a "bash action figures into each other" game where Grimy boxes open instantly and make my troops overpowered as hell. What are some good mods to supercharge enemies and/or add crazy new enemies like that tank posted above?