Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Vitamin P posted:

and its hosed because theres no answer besides exposing and killing the rich but apparently thats not allowed

Generally agreed, but I mean they tried getting rid of the monarchy and aristocracy in Britain once already, and all it did was replace the King with a Lord-Protector, tear the country apart in a bitter civil war, and displace thousands of refugees to America, who then perpetrated a genocide, sooo....

(I don't have a solution to offer here)

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

twoday has issued a correction as of 22:54 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

alphabettitouretti posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1136603232816574464

She's going to leave fingernails in the doorframe of no.10 when they finally drag her out of there.

Well that's plenty of time to sort out brexit before 31st October!

someone this desperate to remain in power sure shows some healthy mental fortitude

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

twoday posted:

:thermidor:

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

twoday posted:

Oh I thought I scared you off, nevermind

Never!

Just sometimes there are good posts and I have not much to say on the subject and the good posts be without me posting poo poo

This of course never happens in cpsam

twoday
May 4, 2005

They tried that already!

It didn’t work because it turned out that everyone else was also an rear end in a top hat

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

twoday posted:

They tried that already!

It didn’t work because it turned out that everyone else was also an rear end in a top hat

Like killing a hydra, the trick is to : thermidor: all the rich, because if you leave one it can regenerate the whole mess.

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

Vitamin P posted:

This is a big problem, working class Brits didn't benefit from imperialism. The industrial revolution legit did broadly make britons rich but the empire was a monopolised endeavour, economically it overwhelmingly only benefited the wealthy.

actual lol

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Grape posted:

Hell yeah bruv, stand shoulder to shoulder with the empire apologist.

i think he was just chuckling at tactical mandolin training there's no need to put "Grape will remember this" at the top left of the screen

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Yeah I think we gotta take the laffin on the chin

I've been laughing at other countries for decades and now we do the stupidest thing imaginable and handle it in the funniest way

We can't go "yikes this is a bad look" if people wanna laugh at it

Or I guess we can, it's a free monarchy

it's free for one person, technically

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

twoday posted:

Generally agreed, but I mean they tried getting rid of the monarchy and aristocracy in Britain once already, and all it did was replace the King with a Lord-Protector, tear the country apart in a bitter civil war, and displace thousands of refugees to America, who then perpetrated a genocide, sooo....

You are under some bizarre impressions about what motivated early American colonies.
Like Virginia, lol, and yeah Puritans did set up New England but they were doing that before the civil wars even got going. By the time of the restoration you had multiple Puritan born colonies chugging along. Enough that some of the regicides could flee there to established places to hide out.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

mycomancy posted:

Like killing a hydra, the trick is to : thermidor: all the rich, because if you leave one it can regenerate the whole mess.

it started well but this time we need to finish the job

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

And we didn't have like 4-5 different Puritan colonies because tons were fleeing over here. We had so many because you kept having some dude going "YOU AND YOUR FLOCK, PROCTER WETHERSPOON.... ARE NOT HARDCORE ENOUGH FOR ME. I SHALL TAKE MY FOLLOWERS AND MAKE A WAY MORE HARDCORE COLONY OVER THE NEXT VALLEY."

It was kind of like Metal subgenres in the 80's.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I just watched the first 2 episodes of Years and Years on the BBC iPlayer and drat if it isn't the scariest loving thing since that Chernobyl show. It's a really intimate story of one family trying to cope with the insanity of the rise of populism in modern-day Britain.

It's a bit heavy-handed at times with its rhetoric, but it's seriously one of the best shows portraying life in current and future Britain. It's basically a really good Black Mirror episode if everything that could go wrong with our current system of government did go wrong.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Grape posted:

You are under some bizarre impressions about what motivated early American colonies.
Like Virginia, lol, and yeah Puritans did set up New England but they were doing that before the civil wars even got going. By the time of the restoration you had multiple Puritan born colonies chugging along. Enough that some of the regicides could flee there to established places to hide out.

i mean yeah but cromwell then personally genocided the irish, and if ellen wood is to be believed invented capitalism while he was at it

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

It's coming home lads.

HOME TO THE NETHERLANDS THAT IS!! *Holds up hand for a high five.*

Fake edit - oh dear, this is not the dutch thread.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

twoday posted:

They tried that already!

Meh. Imagine you had given up after the first try at not making GBS threads your pants

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

An insane mind posted:

It's coming home lads.

Eurovision?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

i mean yeah but cromwell then personally genocided the irish, and if ellen wood is to be believed invented capitalism while he was at it

Catholic Irish didn't start mass immigrating to the US until the famine, which I suppose in a very long term sense has to do with Cromwell.
But Irish immigrants weren't genociding natives in the ghettos of 1865 New York and Boston.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Look im very much into irish struggles aginst imperialism but you might wanna Google the new York draft riots

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

And while the irish weren't fleeing the country en masse cromwell did conquer the place

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

Look im very much into irish struggles aginst imperialism but you might wanna Google the new York draft riots

Don't recall saying the community didn't get involved in bad things!

also lol no poo poo to the second post

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm sorry I'm tired and dont know what I'm arguing about anymore

What does brexit mean again?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

silvergoose posted:

Eurovision?

That too. It's all thanks to Brexit.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Grape posted:

Hakluyt & Co. planned the colonies long before, and much later contributions such as the peopling of the Carolinas with indentured servants underneath the guidance and John Locke and his buddies in the CABAL ministry certainly contributed to the peopling of the English colonies, and it is true that during the English Civil War there was actually a net emigration from New England by the Puritans. However, there were certainly refugees to New England as a result of the Civil War, and they brought with them both a militaristic mindset and military experience. Cromwell's decision to enact the Navigation Acts and thus preclude the first Anglo-Dutch was perhaps a logical outgrowth of the conflict in Britain, but it opened up a Pandora's box of decades international conflicts. The end of the Civil War and the re-installation of the monarchy under Charles II, who then immediately escalated tensions with the Dutch in the second Anglo-Dutch War, and later on in the third such war, contributed tremendously to the militarization of northwestern Europe and instated a new norm of warfare and conquest that radicalized and militarized society as a whole. All the while (disregarding the temporary reduction of Puritan immigration in the 1640's) immigration to New England grew continuously throughout the 17th century, and each passing year brought with it a populace that was more battle-hardened and belligerent. Though relations with the Native Americans were never great, the proper genocide in New England did not begin until King Philip's War in 1675, which was triggered in part by a great wave of tribal warfare that occurred because of the power vacuum that was left when the Dutch gave up control of New Netherland the previous year as a result of the delayed implementation of the Treaty of Westminster. Though there are arguments about why this war was so particularly vicious and most of them blame the Narragansett, I maintain that the campaign of extermination would not have been as extreme if not for the intense militarization of English society over the previous 30 years, fueled in part by the Anglo-Dutch wars, but those in turn having their roots in the English Civil War.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

An insane mind posted:

It's coming home lads.

it is now lol

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twoday posted:

Hakluyt & Co. planned the colonies long before, and much later contributions such as the peopling of the Carolinas with indentured servants underneath the guidance and John Locke and his buddies in the CABAL ministry certainly contributed to the peopling of the English colonies, and it is true that during the English Civil War there was actually a net emigration from New England by the Puritans. However, there were certainly refugees to New England as a result of the Civil War, and they brought with them both a militaristic mindset and military experience. Cromwell's decision to enact the Navigation Acts and thus preclude the first Anglo-Dutch was perhaps a logical outgrowth of the conflict in Britain, but it opened up a Pandora's box of decades international conflicts. The end of the Civil War and the re-installation of the monarchy under Charles II, who then immediately escalated tensions with the Dutch in the second Anglo-Dutch War, and later on in the third such war, contributed tremendously to the militarization of northwestern Europe and instated a new norm of warfare and conquest that radicalized and militarized society as a whole. All the while (disregarding the temporary reduction of Puritan immigration in the 1640's) immigration to New England grew continuously throughout the 17th century, and each passing year brought with it a populace that was more battle-hardened and belligerent. Though relations with the Native Americans were never great, the proper genocide in New England did not begin until King Philip's War in 1675, which was triggered in part by a great wave of tribal warfare that occurred because of the power vacuum that was left when the Dutch gave up control of New Netherland the previous year as a result of the delayed implementation of the Treaty of Westminster. Though there are arguments about why this war was so particularly vicious and most of them blame the Narragansett, I maintain that the campaign of extermination would not have been as extreme if not for the intense militarization of English society over the previous 30 years, fueled in part by the Anglo-Dutch wars, but those in turn having their roots in the English Civil War.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Grape posted:

And we didn't have like 4-5 different Puritan colonies because tons were fleeing over here. We had so many because you kept having some dude going "YOU AND YOUR FLOCK, PROCTER WETHERSPOON.... ARE NOT HARDCORE ENOUGH FOR ME. I SHALL TAKE MY FOLLOWERS AND MAKE A WAY MORE HARDCORE COLONY OVER THE NEXT VALLEY."

It was kind of like Metal subgenres in the 80's.

Have you heard of the all-American prophet? The blond-haired, blue-eyed voice of god? He didn't come from the middle east, like those other holy men. No, god's favourite prophet was all-American.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Labour won

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Jose posted:

Labour won

this is bad for jeremy corbyn

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/MikeGapes/status/1136807020433199105

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i guess brexit really does mean brexit

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Great, right as I figured out what Brexit means now we have new definitions of antisemtism

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
mike gapes

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
anti-semitism doesn't even mean anything anymore

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I received some extra slices on my charcuterie board at a spanish restaurant. It was obviously anti Semitic and I am extremely offended.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

Great, right as I figured out what Brexit means now we have new definitions of antisemtism

"antisemitism" actually means "things jeremy corbyn has said, or looked at, or thought about, or even hasn't thought about because he was probably thinking about thinking about them"

so you can see why labour has such a famous and well documented antisemitism problem

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

I received some extra slices on my charcuterie board at a spanish restaurant. It was obviously anti Semitic and I am extremely offended.

it was foreskin and he was just trying to be generous

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

is BoJo really going to be Prime Minister? The man can barely string together a sound bite.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Squalid posted:

is BoJo really going to be Prime Minister? The man can barely string together a sound bite.

probably not tbh

comedy option is that bojo loses the leadership contest and switches to the brexit party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Squalid posted:

it's still possible, albeit less and less likely, that the parliamentary party knifes him out of going to the membership. but if he makes it, it's very hard to see how the membership don't back him over whichever remoaner quisling the neverboris mps coalesce behind

very few people in power actually want it, and it's facially ridiculous, but fear of the alternative is pushing it inexorably forward anyway. in this way boris, like brexit, means brexit