Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ymgve posted:

But is it fully his fault? If we're so conditioned to look at our phones when they make happy noises and we get constant positive reinforcement from likes that we just instinctively grab the phone even in inappropriate situations, aren't we more like drug addicts waiting for the next "fix"?

...Yes? Alcohol is addictive too but it doesn't excuse personal responsibility for driving drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In Striking Vipers, what if it still showed what was going on on the TV? Like someone walks in and a dude is zonked out on the couch and you just see two fighting game characters boning on the TV.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Cojawfee posted:

In Striking Vipers, what if it still showed what was going on on the TV? Like someone walks in and a dude is zonked out on the couch and you just see two fighting game characters boning on the TV.
sounds like like my friday night

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
the real question: when the round ends are both characters reset and ready to go at it again?

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Black Mirror + NIN = :), + Miley Cirus = :(

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

No Wave posted:

the real question: when the round ends are both characters reset and ready to go at it again?

I'd have to assume yes When they fought for the first time and Danny lost, he auto-healed up and all the blood went back into his body. Which has....other implications. There weren't any round timers (at least in the VR version) so they can probably gently caress for as long as they want. Or does the round end when someone nuts?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ymgve posted:

That irked me too. Why should he ask and be told what an orgasm feels like for a virtual girl? He's one character select away from experiencing it himself!

The girl was a 10 bucks dlc.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

They should be banned from the game for not playing it correctly :cool:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HorseRenoir posted:

...Yes? Alcohol is addictive too but it doesn't excuse personal responsibility for driving drunk.
He didn't call the guy to blame him for the crash. He goes through painstaking effort to tell him that it was his own fault. He just needed him to know that it happened.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Thread title needs to be changed to Black Mirror: I hosed a polar bear, and I still couldn't get you out of my mind.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rachel Jack and Ashley Too I had a good laugh at the news segment of comatose Ashley's brain being scanned for more songwriting ideas. The could have easily been a segment by The Onion

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Away all Goats posted:

Rachel Jack and Ashley Too I had a good laugh at the news segment of comatose Ashley's brain being scanned for more songwriting ideas. The could have easily been a segment by The Onion
I thought when they introduced that plot device, that they were clearly bullshitting about being able to scan her brain for music and that it was just a way to make anybody's stupid overproduced crap into Ashley's, but then nope, they went the less interesting route of stupid magic technology.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I thought when they introduced that plot device, that they were clearly bullshitting about being able to scan her brain for music and that it was just a way to make anybody's stupid overproduced crap into Ashley's, but then nope, they went the less interesting route of stupid magic technology.

The news clip of the tech figuring out the notes of a song and lyrics from a swarm of brain pixels made me think it was BS. But then the song she was singing earlier showed up all scary voiced.

Still my favorite of the 3 though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hi. Just popping in to say that I've never watched Black Mirror but I'm curious to watch it after the zeitgeist over the new episodes. I know nothing about it other than I guess it's like the Twilight Zone?

Should I just hop into the new episodes or should I watch them all? Are there stinkers or ones that don't age well that I should avoid? Are they best watched when sober or high? tia

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They don't really connect to each other all that much aside from some background references, so just jump in wherever.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
oops

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 7, 2019

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mordiceius posted:

Hi. Just popping in to say that I've never watched Black Mirror but I'm curious to watch it after the zeitgeist over the new episodes. I know nothing about it other than I guess it's like the Twilight Zone?

Should I just hop into the new episodes or should I watch them all? Are there stinkers or ones that don't age well that I should avoid? Are they best watched when sober or high? tia
Watch them all, the entire series is 22 hours. I don't think any episodes are universally regarded as trash. For example, Playtest is ranked #23 by Esquire, #14 by The Guardian, and #9 by The Ringer. Esquire and The Ringer both put Nosedive at #16 but The Guardian put it at #2. Which ones you'll love or hate is essentially unknowable without a very deep understanding of you.

I'd say generally better sober.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The main thing to know is that each episode really, really fucks you up and you can't just binge through it because your mind still needs to process the dire implications of the previous one. That aftereffect is still almost part of the episode, so I would give yourself time to do that rather than burning through them all at once.

It's definitely hit or miss and yeah it's a good idea to watch the good episodes first. I personally didn't find any episodes to be outright bad until the final two of Season 4 (one featured stupid characters and an unclear message, and one was way too on the nose). Haven't seen this season yet but I'm guessing it would not be a good place to start from just because there is no consensus yet on which parts are good.

Also, the theme of the show kind of varies. It's *usually* a dire warning about how technology just lets society remain totally hosed up -- except now with horrible and original new ways of being hosed up. In other words, the show is never just a statement about technology, but about human nature with allegories about present day society.

But sometimes it's not even set in the future; the pilot episode could have happened right now, for example. And Bandersnatch was set in the past by a few decades, and did not feature a hypothetical technology at all; rather it just explored the concepts of breaking the fourth wall, mental illness, delusion, and putting you in the shoes of someone suffering from them.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I really do not like the transition through credits to get the conclusion to the story. I enjoyed the Ashley one the most while the other two felt like they had a great idea and then had to figure out a 60 min TV show around it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The main thing to know is that each episode really, really fucks you up and you can't just binge through it because your mind still needs to process the dire implications of the previous one. That aftereffect is still almost part of the episode, so I would give yourself time to do that rather than burning through them all at once.

White Christmas kind of 'hosed me up' days and weeks afterwards, just like Stephen King's 'The Jaunt' did, years ago when I read it for the first time.

That dude is alone with only his thoughts for something like 8 million years.

There isn't a :psyduck: strong enough for that poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ghostinmyshell posted:

I really do not like the transition through credits to get the conclusion to the story. I enjoyed the Ashley one the most while the other two felt like they had a great idea and then had to figure out a 60 min TV show around it.

At least the Ashley one seemed to have somewhat of a conclusion before the credits and the credits scenes were kind of an epilogue. Striking Viper I actually paused and went back thinking I had missed something because it just ended with no conclusion and then it all was in the credits.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

There’s nothing like those eps this season though, it’s quite a tonal shift. In Striking Vipers I was waiting for the kid to plug in the game and horrible things to happen. Thankfully in this case that didn’t happen but I did miss the emotional impact of older BM this season.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Mordiceius posted:

They're all pretty good, I would start at episode 1 and binge chronologically, just don't be put off by the first episode, you'll understand what I mean when you watch it. :mrapig:

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Wafflecopper posted:

There’s nothing like those eps this season though, it’s quite a tonal shift.

I agree, I hope there's not going to be more nick/disney after school specials, or sentiment overload. Some sentiment is good but if it's too much it turns to crap. I quite liked Nosedive.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Gobbeldygook posted:

I don't think any episodes are universally regarded as trash.

I thought The Waldo Moment was pretty much universally regarded as hot garbage among all reviewers?

I'm still bummed that of all episodes Tobias Menzies could have shown up in, it had to be that one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In Smithereens, it's weird, like all the characters and extras no-sell the notification at the end, but then Topher Grace's character actually reacts. At least one of them got killed based on his reaction. I'd say just the kidnapper because he probably would have been a lot more upset if the intern had gotten killed. Seems like a mistake though.

Also the pilot is the worst episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You mean the pig one?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I can't even think of anything I disliked about the Waldo Moment episode at the time. Or what there would be to complain about. And even then, all of those reviewers were proven wrong in 2016 when the episode proved completely prescient.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

You mean the pig one?

Yeah the pig one

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I can't even think of anything I disliked about the Waldo Moment episode at the time. Or what there would be to complain about. And even then, all of those reviewers were proven wrong in 2016 when the episode proved completely prescient.

Its really corny, neither the comedian nor the Waldo character are funny, and the ending is a wild escalation that comes off as kinda stupid.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Mantis42 posted:

Its really corny, neither the comedian nor the Waldo character are funny, and the ending is a wild escalation that comes off as kinda stupid.

Does it really though? Remember how things escalated back when Trump was the joke candidate? A country really suddenly becoming authoritarian and oppressive to all is a thing that happens too, and we're lucky we narrowly dodged it because of the president's incompetence

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah the pig one

I think I appreciate that episode even more after watching Charlie Brookers other David Cameron-related content.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yes there are parallels to Trump and the episode could have been great if the execution didn't suck. Waldo going global and having his face plastered everywhere doesn't work if the character isn't remotely funny or interesting.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Looking at six different ranking lists, Waldo falls into the bottom three in all of them.

Men Against Fire was low in all of them too. That's the one with the soldiers fighting the 'bugs' right? The problem with that one was that it was forgettable.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Mantis42 posted:

Waldo going global and having his face plastered everywhere doesn't work if the character isn't remotely funny or interesting.

Trump is really neither of those things either, intentionally that is, as in, in the eyes of his own audience

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Rachel Jack and Ashely Too wasn't super deep and kinda felt like a movie targeted towards teenage girls. Still a fun episode though.

Striking Vipers sounds like a term for smacking two penises together

Smithereens I was more interested in what was on that girls facebook account than anything with the episode

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I was surprised the ending of Ashley too didn't involve Aunt Catherine just continuing on with Ashley eternal as a hatsune miku idol thing and making mad bank while newly nin Ashley 0 playing to a middling crowd

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So for Smithereens, I got a feeling that a huge theme of the episode was that people speaking (i.e. traditional interaction) is much more effective and pure as a communication tool than the bullshit social media form. Also I expected that the episode would go into more detail with how the social network sites know so much more about us than anything else, including the government.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah the pig one

The pig episode owns.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Doltos posted:

Smithereens I was more interested in what was on that girls facebook account than anything with the episode

Realistically, there would be nothing enlightening there. No smoking gun, just the banally normal chats you would find in anyone’s inbox. The only thing the mother would learn is that she wasn’t the only one blindsided by the suicide - no one of her friends saw it coming either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Men Against Fire was low in all of them too. That's the one with the soldiers fighting the 'bugs' right? The problem with that one was that it was forgettable.

Also it's been made before as an Outer Limits episode and probably a zillion other short stories.