Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

LingcodKilla posted:

That car got shredded. I’d be hard pressed not to go choke out the dude with his seatbelt if he wasn’t already dead.

He's not dead. The driver of the first car he hit is dead. And the driver of another car that got launched off the freeway wall into the side of a parking deck is critically injured.

The scumfuck in the pickup truck got arrested for DUI, and you know, murder.

He also was recently released from jail after leading Washington police on a chase after running from them when they tried to pull him over for doing 92 in a 60.

https://twitter.com/Visitsaltonsea/status/1136027374192025600?s=19

This is the guy who got launched.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hegel Exercises posted:

gently caress all drunk drivers but gently caress this one in particular.

https://twitter.com/meeeuuhhh/status/1136006819434774528?s=21

How do you witness that and not beat the driver of the truck into a bloody pulp or at the very least force him to stare at the woman he just murdered.

https://twitter.com/RamLover69/status/1136431068955832320

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah, the Nazis are also the guys who famously laughed at OKW when they came up with War production numbers for the USA after Pearl Harbor. They laughed because the numbers were so unbelievably high that they figured the analysts must have misplaced a decimal point.

Where the Japanese knew the might of American industry and respected it, the Germans did not.

There is a quote, and I wish I could find it, of Hitler being told the Americans were already producing several thousand aircraft a month, and Hitler responding "That's insane, if the Americans were building that many planes we may as well surrender now, this report is nonsense, get out of my office." And of course, in reality it was an underestimate of what the US was already producing.

On a related note, here's a fun analysis of US production in the war against Japan: [url-http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm]Why Japan Really lost the War[/url]

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

He's not dead. The driver of the first car he hit is dead. And the driver of another car that got launched off the freeway wall into the side of a parking deck is critically injured.

The scumfuck in the pickup truck got arrested for DUI, and you know, murder.

He also was recently released from jail after leading Washington police on a chase after running from them when they tried to pull him over for doing 92 in a 60.

Yeah this is like 5 minutes from my house. I take this road to work everyday and was on this stretch of highway just a couple of minutes before this happened.

I hope that motherfucker rots in jail. If I had my way I'd put the unembalmed corpse of the woman he killed in a glass coffin and keep it in his jail cell with him so he had to look at what he did for the rest of his life.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Because their rams would constantly be in the shop.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigDave posted:

Hot take: the Nazis lost because they really sucked at running a government and military.

They purged Jewish scientists who could have helped developed nuclear weapons years before the Allies.

They spent God knows how much time and resources building that Mause tank prototype and the entire series of Wunderwaffens when they never would have worked in the first place.

They actively encouraged government divisions and departments to compete against each other for resources and manpower.

But the biggest gently caress up was when they invaded the Soviet Union...just because Hitler hated communists.

Soviet-Nazi relations were actually not bad prior to Barbaossa. They weren't best friends or anything but they had an active non-aggression pact right up until panzers started crossing the border.

Good thing we don't restrict science based on ideology or spend God knows how much time and resources on pointless weapons systems, starve government divisions for resources, or invade countries just because we hate the sort of people who live there! :downsgun:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There's basically an entire list of items that if the Nazis did just one of them different, they probably win. Not even considering putting their economy on war-footing until it was entirely too late was one of them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There's basically an entire list of items that if the Nazis did just one of them different, they probably win. Not even considering putting their economy on war-footing until it was entirely too late was one of them.

no not really. The Nazis could have literally doubled their production of everything and they still would have lost, eventually.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BigDave posted:

Hot take: the Nazis lost because they really sucked at running a government and military.

They purged Jewish scientists who could have helped developed nuclear weapons years before the Allies.

They spent God knows how much time and resources building that Mause tank prototype and the entire series of Wunderwaffens when they never would have worked in the first place.

They actively encouraged government divisions and departments to compete against each other for resources and manpower.

But the biggest gently caress up was when they invaded the Soviet Union...just because Hitler hated communists.

Soviet-Nazi relations were actually not bad prior to Barbaossa. They weren't best friends or anything but they had an active non-aggression pact right up until panzers started crossing the border.

At one point around the time they signed the nonagression pact Hitler invited the Soviets to join the anticomintern pact (I'm guessing a name change would have been necessary) but Stalin refused because he really wanted Finland and Hitler didn't want the Soviets that close to the Nazi sphere of influence.

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011
A reminder that the Normandy landings allowed Finland to remain independent. The soviet troops fighting finns were badly needed in the race to the Berlin , so Stalin gave Finland its second and last peace offer during the Continuation War. So , in a sense , America did save Finlands rear end during WW2.
Please share this peace of information with all the finns you meet.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Hajotus Maximus posted:

A reminder that the Normandy landings allowed Finland to remain independent. The soviet troops fighting finns were badly needed in the race to the Berlin , so Stalin gave Finland its second and last peace offer during the Continuation War. So , in a sense , America did save Finlands rear end during WW2.

My existence as an American veteran who fought for this country’s freedoms in Afghanistan is all of the “you’re welcome” I’ll ever need.

If not for me, none of us would have freedom right now.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

colachute posted:

My existence as an American veteran who fought for this country’s freedoms in Afghanistan is all of the “you’re welcome” I’ll ever need.

If not for me, none of us would have freedom right now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hajotus Maximus posted:

Suck it you Sauna Monkies.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

At the Air Force Museum for their D-Day commemoration this morning, one of the WW2 veterans in attendance was a B-17 ball turret gunner. When I stood up slowly I couldn't help but think it was because of his enormous brass cojones, because that is one hell of a job to survive.

Also the emcee all but called the wars in the middle East "the forever war"

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There is a quote, and I wish I could find it, of Hitler being told the Americans were already producing several thousand aircraft a month, and Hitler responding "That's insane, if the Americans were building that many planes we may as well surrender now, this report is nonsense, get out of my office." And of course, in reality it was an underestimate of what the US was already producing.

On a related note, here's a fun analysis of US production in the war against Japan: [url-http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm]Why Japan Really lost the War[/url]

This video is particularly enlightening. Its about the japanese but it just as easily shows the difference in production that can be applied to nazi germany.

https://youtu.be/l9ag2x3CS9M

The guy also removed any lendlease ships he could find from the production stats so its only the ships built with the purpose of reinforcing the US fleet from destroyer up.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 6, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hitler/Japan could have extended the war out to be sure, and possibly even closed out a front, and they likely still would have lost. Hell, Stalingrad was almost entirely preventable, and the Germans could have blunted a Soviet attack had they withdrawn and regrouped like was suggested by the General Staff, but in the long run their production and logistics issues still would've cooked them.

Albert Speer actually recognized a lot of the logistical and production issues, even recommended trimming number of tank models down to 2-3 select models to simplify supply and quantity, and he still got pushback from the Army. Hell, Albert Speer's time at the Industrial Helm was actually marked by a sharp increase in production (unfortunately, mostly through the use of slave labor and other horrible methods).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hegel Exercises posted:

gently caress all drunk drivers but gently caress this one in particular.

https://twitter.com/meeeuuhhh/status/1136006819434774528?s=21

How do you witness that and not beat the driver of the truck into a bloody pulp or at the very least force him to stare at the woman he just murdered.

I had a pickup weave by me/cut me off at about this speed and it shook me for a week. If the gap between me and that car next to me had been a little smaller he probably would have killed us both.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Basically every day I'm passed by some moron in a brodozer driving like that, and they aren't drunk. Thanks, Texas.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I would’ve just drove on probably but if I saw a crowd of people stomping that fucker out I’d be inclined to join them.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
It took me a few viewings to notice that gently caress head walks over into the median and collapses

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Guy at my work just got rear ended on his motorcycle about half an hour ago. Wasn't wearing a helmet. Awake and talking but doesn't remember what happened. Scraped up and probably at least a broken rib and some sprains. Probably also a concussion.

:/

I'm a first responder at work and feeling kinda like I should be as freaked out as a lot of other people seem to be, but... I've seen a lot worse? Engh.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
He 100% has at the very least a mild traumatic brain injury. That's alteration of consciousness.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Vasudus posted:

He 100% has at the very least a mild traumatic brain injury. That's alteration of consciousness.

Yeah. I wasn't first on scene so I couldn't tell if he actually didn't remember the accident or if someone just came up behind him so fast that he never saw it coming. But he definitely came off a bike with no helmet going 45 or so. So.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

It took me a few viewings to notice that gently caress head walks over into the median and collapses

I saw that and couldn't tell if it was him or not.

gently caress that guy.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Handsome Ralph posted:

https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1136456314740232192

I like this take.

Honestly I don't know what's more annoying (as a historian), Russians/Tankies pretending that the Soviet Union won the war all alone and that the Western Theater was the equivalent to a mid-90s NATO police action or Americans who pretend that D-Day/the western front was the reason Nazi Germany was finally defeated.

For real. Even dudes that made it through half of basic did more than Ben ever will.

So, the Italian campaign wasn't nearly as large as the Normandy landings, but it was still a hell of a project. Cutting off the Afrika Corp had to have helped too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9izsVZPDlk

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
We had a guy literally do a " Four Loko Motherfuckers!" And try to run the barriers the other day. He was peeled off the windshield and airlifted outta there

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Crakkerjakk posted:

Guy at my work just got rear ended on his motorcycle about half an hour ago. Wasn't wearing a helmet. Awake and talking but doesn't remember what happened. Scraped up and probably at least a broken rib and some sprains. Probably also a concussion.

:/

I'm a first responder at work and feeling kinda like I should be as freaked out as a lot of other people seem to be, but... I've seen a lot worse? Engh.

Here's hoping he lives and wears a loving helmet next time. Also that he gets a good lawyer.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Here's hoping he lives and wears a loving helmet next time. Also that he gets a good lawyer.

Definitely gonna yell at him about helmets when he's back at work.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

SimonCat posted:

So, the Italian campaign wasn't nearly as large as the Normandy landings, but it was still a hell of a project. Cutting off the Afrika Corp had to have helped too.

Oh for sure. I mean you read about how much of a loving slog Italy was at times and you want to smack some people in the head for spouting "hurf durf, the Western allies barely contributed! :smug:" nonsense

Sure, the Soviet Union could have and likely would have beaten Nazi Germany on their own, but it would have taken a hell of a lot longer and cost a ton more lives. And that's still assuming they continued to receive some kind of material aid from the west.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Like I get that the attitude of riding a motorcycle encourages the least amount of protective gear possible, but the very mechanics involved in riding one demand the most.

If you don't wear a helmet a minor accident that might leave you concussed could end up with you not being able to count past ten without taking off your shoes for the rest of your life. Or being incredibly unstable.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I never use to wear a helmet when I rode bicycles but after bringing my bike to this poo poo hole city up north I'm almost hit by cars at least 5 times every time I go for a ride so I decided I should probably just get one before I end up dead/brain damaged

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I worked in a traumatic brain injury research center for four years for the DoD.

Wear your loving helmets.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Like I get that the attitude of riding a motorcycle encourages the least amount of protective gear possible, but the very mechanics involved in riding one demand the most.

If you don't wear a helmet a minor accident that might leave you concussed could end up with you not being able to count past ten without taking off your shoes for the rest of your life. Or being incredibly unstable.

I'm not an ATGATT guy by any stretch of the imagination and my attitude is generally "riding a motorcycle is already a big risk so exactly how much of a risk you're willing to take is your own business" but jesus loving Christ I can't get over how loving stupid not wearing a helmet is.

Edit: I mean you can get DOT-rated beanie style helmets that are like wearing a baseball hat, at least wear that poo poo.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 6, 2019

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Is this the part of the thread where that one guy comes in and argues against wearing helmets

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

I'm not an ATGATT guy by any stretch of the imagination and my attitude is generally "riding a motorcycle is already a big risk so exactly how much of a risk you're willing to take is your own business" but jesus loving Christ I can't get over how loving stupid not wearing a helmet is.

Edit: I mean you can get DOT-rated beanie style helmets that are like wearing a baseball hat, at least wear that poo poo.

Bike rider groups have been arguing for ages that being forced to use them drives down ridership.

It may do that, but its still better than brain death or a TBI.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Is this the part of the thread where that one guy comes in and argues against wearing helmets

Yes but only because my wife needs a transplant

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fallom posted:

Yes but only because my wife needs a transplant
Plot twist: His He opted out of being an organ donor because of his belief in "rugged individualism"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I got just about zero sympathy for the inevitable happening and you deciding to do away with virtually every single safety advancement in the last century because of a lifestyle choice

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vasudus posted:

I worked in a traumatic brain injury research center for four years for the DoD.

Wear your loving helmets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Drho1XFDMo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Whenever the health surveillance nerds I was managing would do a safety pull you could always tell which accident was a motorcycle beyond the fact that ICD-10 has a motorcycle-specific injury prefix. Because it was nine or ten linked codes, at least, and they were always serious ones.

I'm not a medical coder so I can't just recreate it out of thin air but the codes basically told a story, except the story at the end was 'and then the servicemember was hosed for life as a hollow shell, the end'