Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

Lmao

Alright I'm just going to put it out there so this thread can get another 40 posts and be less boring, but what Limburg said is actually right. If you're privileged enough to travel and experience the world and spend money and not willing to open your mind, that is pretty childish.

Look, I used to have a gag reflex when eating cheese and lamb, but over the time have grown to enjoy them. The cheese reflex was absolutely caused by being lactose intolerant (most people who are lactose intolerant can eat enzymes which will partially solve that problem), but by trying out dishes repeatedly I eventually started liking it.

Many people have had an experience with traveling with somebody whose mind is completely closed or who is unwilling to open themselves to another culture. For a person who grew up multicultural, it's really dumb and can often ruin vacations, and nobody really likes that experience. The lack of multiculturalism leads to people being super ignorant, and that sucks like poo poo.

Nobody is going to openly say "you suck like poo poo" in person if were traveling with you since we're all adults; we're just going to never travel with you again. Limburg is just willing to say this on this thread directly because this is an internet forum.

Thanks for listening and enjoy the rest of your day.

Nah, I have traveled with people like that before (as well as people with really limiting allergies) and it was fine every time. They just grabbed what they could eat when they had a chance and didn't make a big deal out of it.
I can imagine it's annoying if they complain about the food all the time or if you only find out while on the trip but that seems more like travelling with people one doesn't know well enough or who are generally annoying :shrug:
If people find it so annoying, just don't travel with people like that. Overreacting on an Internet forum just makes one look like a less chill person to travel with than I'm assuming you guys are.

I don't know how you managed to get a gag reflex from lactose intolerance, seeing as how it doesn't really do anything until after the lactose has passed the stomach, but that sounds unpleasant. Then again, I ate way too much liquorice at one point as a kid and I can't eat it anymore without throwing up. Kind of irrelevant for daily life outside of certain types of x-ray scans, fortunately.

Have a nice day :)

The Great Autismo! posted:

I personally think Japanese food is cool and good and I love it and I encourage people to try everything. but if people don't like it and went all the way across the world to Japan to have a trip that they planned and are excited about but don't want to try the same Japanese foods that you personally like, then why does anyone care, how about we just try to encourage everyone to enjoy Japan in whatever way they feel best and feel most comfortable

This I can agree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

often, close-minded people are unwilling to try local food or eat locally. that's correct, I'm guessing. but that doesn't mean that people who are unwilling to eat the local food are closed-minded. you have an issue of directionality here

you're making a massive jump from "you don't like the local food or want to try some local food? you are super ignorant and unwilling to open up to another culture." like that is a gigantic leap in logic, you seriously passed like three separate steps between those two statements. if you reversed them "you are super ignorant and unwilling to open up to another culture, thus you don't want to try the local food" you're probably correct, I'm guessing. but that's not what you said.

for example, my brother has been to Japan to visit me and the family, is learning Japanese, follows the j-league, is in to Nintendo culture, has read a book or two about the history of Japan and is doing everything in his power to culturally reach across the aisle and be the best brother/brother-in-law/uncle he can be to me and my family. he doesn't really like Japanese food. that doesn't mean he is "super ignorant", all it means is that he doesn't like Japanese food. the idea that you think him not liking Japanese food means he is completely closed minded and is unwilling to open himself up to another culture is misguided

Were actually on the same exact page. I'm explicitly trying to get people who are extremely proud of the fact that they hate X kind of food to back off, because there are a LOT of these types of people in the US.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You don't have to LIKE something. You do, however, have to try it (within reason). Not trying horumon is meh. Fine, whatever, I get it.

Not trying soba because it's not a hamburger is just loving dumb.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

As long as you try it before claiming you don't like it. If you refuse to set foot in a ramen or gyuudon shack and just head straight for McD you're being closed-minded. Drop the ¥500 on a basic serving and then make up your mind whether you like it or not.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ntan1 posted:

Were actually on the same exact page. I'm explicitly trying to get people who are extremely proud of the fact that they hate X kind of food to back off, because there are a LOT of these types of people in the US.

oh, ok. cool

*high five*

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
though I am curious where you live that you meet a lot of people who are proud that they hate a certain type of food, I can't think of a single person I've ever met in the United States that I would say is proud that they hate a certain type of food lol

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I went to college with a lot of people in the Midwest.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Also rich white people. There's a reason Americans used to be the most annoying tourists

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

though I am curious where you live that you meet a lot of people who are proud that they hate a certain type of food, I can't think of a single person I've ever met in the United States that I would say is proud that they hate a certain type of food lol

I've met one person who was completely serious about disliking anything besides McNuggets. Possibly he was also okay with pancakes.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

americans are largely loving terrible

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Brits are an especially terrible kind of American, when it comes to trying food.

Picky eaters, if its not for a dietery or allergen reason, are scum.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Some people aren't foodies. I know this is hard for foodies to understand but food is really just sustenance for some people. Don't take it personally.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Bloodnose posted:

Some people aren't foodies. I know this is hard for foodies to understand but food is really just sustenance for some people. Don't take it personally.

i'd hardly call people like that people

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shibawanko posted:

Brits are an especially terrible kind of American, when it comes to trying food.

Picky eaters, if its not for a dietery or allergen reason, are scum.

Food allergies are just cover for picky eaters.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Trying food and not liking it is fine op

But the original thing was about how Chinese tour groups will not go anywhere local ever. You can't say the food in a place sucks if you refuse to try it. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
On the other hand, you might not want to risk eating something that doesn't agree with you and ending up spending one of your precious vacation days on the toilet. Food just isn't an attraction for some people.

Now I definitely agree you shouldn't say it's bad food if you've never tried it, but I don't think that's the subject at hand?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Stringent posted:

Food allergies are just cover for picky eaters.

it's true. before i learned to like nori i would tell people i was allergic so they'd stop asking why i didn't want it.

good thing toilets are a feature in japan!

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

highme posted:

Any suggestions on sites/calendars to check for live music, specifically hip hop or jazz in Tokyo?

For sources in English, there's Tokyo Gig Guide.

If you don't mind Japanese, eplus is pretty extensive, and you can filter by genre (jazz and hip hop).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

and in other news i booked a night + food at this place for the shimanami kaido portion of our trip.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/tsutsui.html

we're pretty excited about lemons and lemon onsen

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

for example, my brother has been to Japan to visit me and the family, is learning Japanese, follows the j-league, is in to Nintendo culture, has read a book or two about the history of Japan and is doing everything in his power to culturally reach across the aisle and be the best brother/brother-in-law/uncle he can be to me and my family. he doesn't really like Japanese food. that doesn't mean he is "super ignorant", all it means is that he doesn't like Japanese food. the idea that you think him not liking Japanese food means he is completely closed minded and is unwilling to open himself up to another culture is misguided

Has he tried Japanese food before? If Japanese food is the only option will be put some friggin rich and fish in his mouth without complaint?

Then congrats nobody is talking about him here.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Araki posted:

For sources in English, there's Tokyo Gig Guide.

If you don't mind Japanese, eplus is pretty extensive, and you can filter by genre (jazz and hip hop).

Thank you. I've done some digging and found a few spots in San Chome that I'm definitely hitting up (Box Bar & Curtis for sure).

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Nintendo culture

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

natto sucks and I'll never touch it. fight me

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

highme posted:

Any suggestions on sites/calendars to check for live music, specifically hip hop or jazz in Tokyo?

I highly recommend this place: https://jazzspot.intro.co.jp/access/

It's all open mic, they get a nice mix of students, hobbyists and pros. It made some guidebook somewhere so there's lots of European and Australian tourists, so you'll have people to talk to if you want.
Cover/first drink is ¥1,000 and drinks are ¥500 after.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

natto sucks and I'll never touch it. fight me

:same:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I tried natto like three times to give it a fair shot. Nah.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Stringent posted:

I highly recommend this place: https://jazzspot.intro.co.jp/access/

It's all open mic, they get a nice mix of students, hobbyists and pros. It made some guidebook somewhere so there's lots of European and Australian tourists, so you'll have people to talk to if you want.
Cover/first drink is ¥1,000 and drinks are ¥500 after.

Let’s go, I still haven’t been. And the live music will be nice because I won’t have to talk to you.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

zmcnulty posted:

Nintendo culture

:hmmyes: Highlight of the last 10 pages of this thread

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

mikeycp posted:

I see the hiroshima PR is working on you.

tbh ehime mikan > setouchi lemon

Also peanut's recommended minshuku on the Shimanami Kaido is loving fantastic and i've been there twice already

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Natto is loving delicious you trogs.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

totalnewbie posted:

Natto is loving delicious you trogs.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I tried natto and couldn't stand it but my wife and kids love it

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

For the record, my relatives in question above went to the UK to help look after their newborn grandson. But given that they went to the UK, they were probably better off eating the instant ramen anyway.

Let me guess, you've never actually been to the UK, or eaten British food before? Hub doesn't count.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Natto maki is loving delicious you trogs.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

mikeycp posted:

and in other news i booked a night + food at this place for the shimanami kaido portion of our trip.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/tsutsui.html

Setoda-cho is cute! I mean, Kosan-ji is cute! Have fun!

ntan1 posted:

I see the hiroshima PR is working on you.

tbh ehime mikan > setouchi lemon

Also peanut's recommended minshuku on the Shimanami Kaido is loving fantastic and i've been there twice already

Minshuku Nagoma :3 I am glad they are continuing to do great business <3

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

prompt posted:

Let’s go, I still haven’t been. And the live music will be nice because I won’t have to talk to you.

I usually go on Thursdays.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Some people are just not that into a particular kind of food even thought they tried it a few times.

My Italian clients insist on eating Italian food when they go to Shenzhen or Hong Kong because they tried Cantonese food a few times and didn't like it. My Chinese workers been to Italy, Germany, Switzerland a few times and most of them were not happy with Italian food - hell an Italian big shot took us to the local restaurant and it was soooooooooooooo good but my coworkers just found the food there "slightly better than usual"

My wife is a foodie and she could not be convinced that pizza is good. Something like motorino or Serinkan is just "average". She's also weird that she doesn't find sandwiches of any sort appealing but she likes wraps.

But these folks are not the ones who never try food at least once or twice. They are people constantly travel and are just not that excited.

Fart simpson is a giant exception because he just needs to add chilli peppers to make garbage cooking acceptable.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

prompt posted:

I'll go with you.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
CHINESE TOURIST GROUPS EATING INSTANT NOODLES

I posted about this story before back my folks actually went to Japan during the late 70's, My dad was hustling for business and everything was ultra expensive back then compared to HK. So he brought a rice cooker with him to save money. I still remembered going to japan during the 80's with him and all 5 of us were cramped into one room in the ikkebukuro sunshine prince hotel. I wasn't eating ramen everyday but if we werent meeting X san or some business friend then it's instant noodles. But hey my mom could use the extra money to get clothes and buy me famicom cartridges

My father in law was on a European work trip back in the 70's. Instead of claiming expenses he would rather have a per diem budget, that way he could save enough forex to buy a house hold appliance like a TV or whatever for his family. So all his coworkers just grabbed extra bread, fruit, and lunch/breakfast left overs and saved it for dinner. Worst part of the trip was his room being right on top of a restaurant and everynight he could smell the food :smith: My wife took him back to the same restaurant after 30 years and told him that he could order as much as he wanted :shobon:

Honestly though yeah I think these package tourists are dumb but as someone who actually been to a few, I guess I can understand why. It's

1 -hassle free
2 -really cheap to see MORE THINGS*
3 -sometimes tourists just dont know any better and dont want to sort out their own trip or are SCARED - they just are afraid of going to SOMEWHERE NEW and get RIPPED OFF or whatever tourist fears they have.

*2 is debatable because for a lot of poor folks on these group tours, they probably would not visit the country again or think this trip is their only trip of the life time so they want to see more. And the older you get, the harder it is for you to be open minded on new food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, instead of making GBS threads on Chinese group tourists, they just do their lovely tour in corners of Tokyo

I rather poo poo on all you First timers to Japan goons asking garbage questions or having terrible planning when you guys are good at using the internet.

Not buying a Data card - OH GOOGLE MAPS OFFLINE MAPS WORK
Wanting to go to Ghibli but not buying the ticket in advance - OH WE WANTED TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE ANYWAY
Wanting to eat "authenthic food" and settling for ichiran Ramen - not looking at the tokyo food map
Robot restaurant
Dont know how to take subways
Settling for Conbini food and calling it "the Japan experience" - it's just convenient store food, hey I like my 7-11 slurpies but I don't JUST go to USA and eat that stuff