Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why would I ever play ranked

I'm not some pro videogamer. I just play whatever the casual thing is called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I still cannot for the life of me work out why the defaults aren’t the Ranked ones, just to make it clear these are standards.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zzulu posted:

Because ranked is the version of 1v1 with the strictest MMR, meaning it's the most likely place to find a balanced match, and first-to-three format means you actually have time to adapt to an opponent rather than getting owned by some gimmick you haven't seen yet.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Shockeh posted:

I still cannot for the life of me work out why the defaults aren’t the Ranked ones, just to make it clear these are standards.

This is bizarre to me too. Like what are the default variations even supposed to be?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Just 3-0'ed a favored Jacqui Briggs in ranked, feels good. Every round was two and a half minutes of keepaway interdispersed with 15 seconds of pure terror whenever she got in.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Doc Walrus posted:

This is bizarre to me too. Like what are the default variations even supposed to be?
Even more strange is how they'll sometimes have empty ability slots. I guess it's to encourage kustomization?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Another advantage to ranked play is that people aren’t allowed to refuse matches against everyone who might be better than them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I try to play a healthy variety of ranked, kasual and KOTH because it helps me from going full tilt in any one mode. Sometimes after slogging through a bunch of stressful ranked matches it's fun to just gently caress around with some gimmicky character.

I still don't know why NRS displays W/L records on the match screen instead of ELL rank. There are plenty of 600-150 scrubs out there who only rematch against meatsims and people learning the game for the first time (I'm one of them).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

“Meatsims”, there’s a term that takes me back. :corsair:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm slowly getting the time to work through story mode and I don't really get why someone (like that one dipshit weirdo in this thread) would be mad about Sheeva when she's way cooler in this game than she has been in the past. All the chars in this game being relatively thin tropes notwithstanding.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I got to play some Cetrion this morning and she's another fun character. A zoner who can delete 39% of your lifebar in one krushing blow combo. Who knew! Her skins are neat too, despite not particularly fitting in with the rest of the MK cast.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Brosnan posted:

I'm slowly getting the time to work through story mode and I don't really get why someone (like that one dipshit weirdo in this thread) would be mad about Sheeva when she's way cooler in this game than she has been in the past. All the chars in this game being relatively thin tropes notwithstanding.

Because they are mentally ill.

Honestly the legit fear I have for her is when they put her in the game she'll be a Gorilla Grodd type character that has really cool grappler abilities in theory but just doesn't work.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Zzulu posted:

Because it's not filled with packs of hotlantas who scream and then rage quit after losing one round

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Oberst posted:

Because it's not filled with packs of hotlantas who scream and then rage quit after losing one round

U mad

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
the guy ranting about sjws a couple of pages ago made me appreciate people who are just regular-whiny like hotlanta man

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
My beef with ranked is getting matched with someone with a lousy connection over wifi and either being stuck with it for the next 15 to 20 minutes or just taking the quit loss. I wish there was an option to opt out of wifi or connections that are over a certain ping before the match starts

Because I agree, kasual match players are the god drat worst. I can't keep a good set going for more than two matches because people are dumb pissbabies

peer posted:

the guy ranting about sjws a couple of pages ago made me appreciate people who are just regular-whiny like hotlanta man

This was a refreshing reminder of what general internet standards bad is in contrast to merely something awful standards bad and why I don't bother with anywhere else

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Minidust posted:

Even more strange is how they'll sometimes have empty ability slots. I guess it's to encourage kustomization?

I think the empty slot means one of their other abilities uses two slots. Still seems pointless, since the tourney variations already represent two distinctly different ways to play a character (the right way and the wrong way, usually)

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Because they are mentally ill.

Honestly the legit fear I have for her is when they put her in the game she'll be a Gorilla Grodd type character that has really cool grappler abilities in theory but just doesn't work.

A slow juggernaut type character with a blockable low grab counter would be cool. Like it would catch sub-zero mid-slide, etc. Give it a krushing blow on the third successful grab or something.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Has NRS ever made a good grappler/big body? Other than maybe Geras, I can't think of any "grappler" character who isnt total rear end in an NRS game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Bane in Injustice 1 was pretty good at the end of the game's lifecycle. They let you burn meter to make his risky stuff safe, and he had a great 50/50 OKI game and an armored command grab.

But he was still in Injustice, which had incredible zoning and characters with piss-easy 50/50 vortexes and characters with hugely advancing safe mids that went into 40% combos. Wasn't a matter of him being bad but the top tier being absolutely nuts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cassie's brawler variation in MKX was very good.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
Fera/Torr fuckin owned and I was sad knowing they had no chance of returning.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dracula Factory posted:

Has NRS ever made a good grappler/big body? Other than maybe Geras, I can't think of any "grappler" character who isnt total rear end in an NRS game.

Wasn't Jax's Wrestler variation in MKX his best one?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Love 2 play live service games and do an 8 fight tower with a character tower key reward only for the servers to go down the instant I complete the last fight with no score or progress saved :thumbsup:

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
FATALITY

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dracula Factory posted:

Bane in Injustice 2 was loving awesome. You pumped him up with Venom and then some of his meter-burned grabs would do insane damage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Comparing them like this makes the model look pretty ugly. What's up NRS? The real movie version has so much more character, he's kinda smiling and intimidating you at the same time. Movie version just looks mad or maybe constipated.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shockeh posted:

It has to be some kind of Krunch thing where they just didn't have time to think about it, because it makes NO sense and is extremely counter-intuitive.

But since the Towers of Time were barely playtested and had to be patched at launch, it seems very likely that's the case.

Minidust posted:

Yeah this is what pushes it from "why would they do that?" to just straight up "no, that's dumb, this is a bug"

Having two default loadouts that aren't tournament variations would be a strange choice, but maybe they'd intend for them to be easier and the tournament ones were more restrictive or less fun.

But having blank slots is just straight inexcusable :psyduck: There is no redeeming the default loadouts. They exist purely to be deleted or renamed and changed.

Doc Walrus posted:

I think the empty slot means one of their other abilities uses two slots. Still seems pointless, since the tourney variations already represent two distinctly different ways to play a character (the right way and the wrong way, usually)

I'm pretty sure some of the default variations do use a two slot and a one slot though. So why would some characters have an empty but not others? It isn't consistent. So its just poo poo.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Comparing them like this makes the model look pretty ugly. What's up NRS? The real movie version has so much more character, he's kinda smiling and intimidating you at the same time. Movie version just looks mad or maybe constipated.

it's fine

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
drat i can't believe the video game doesnt look pixel for pixel like real life

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

drat i can't believe the video game doesnt look pixel for pixel like real life

Dude come the gently caress on.

Not what I'm expecting. The other characters look better. :rolleyes:

The face scan technology they have now looks pretty dang good usually, a credit to the game

Bullshit to act like any complaints means I'm expecting the impossible from a videogame.

And if anything, the normal characters used facial models but were intentionally different to be more to the character. Shang Tsung is the exception where he's intentionally going for the look of the actor in the movie, but seems less accurate.

But maybe they couldn't do the full face scan for DLC or the actor wasn't available for all that or something.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 7, 2019

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
They use facial mocap so it is the actor not perfectly recreating a performance he made over a decade ago

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Twibbit posted:

They use facial mocap so it is the actor not perfectly recreating a performance he made over a decade ago

That's fair, he's not a young guy anymore. But they usually touch up mocap by hand afterwards, polish it up here and there right? IDK just an observation.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The actor is also over 20 years older. It's like a weird indirect version of deaging CGI.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Twibbit posted:

over 25 years ago :corsair:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

That's fair, he's not a young guy anymore. But they usually touch up mocap by hand afterwards, polish it up here and there right? IDK just an observation.

they did polish it up, they just weren't trying to 1 for 1 make one shot of that animation look like 1 specific frame of a movie

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Zaphod42 posted:

It's a shout-out, not a recreation. You're picking nits.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Ran into a AI Fighter Sub-Zero titled Strawberry Fanta. :allears:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

No it isn't.

His hair is totally still in the game version. NRS fix it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
mokap please kome bakk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh my godddddd everybody who teams up for the Blood Pits tower against Skarlet is so terrible, especially if you're up second. They just throw themselves at her until they die instead of swapping out to regen health and avoid the blood puddles when you should be standing in them. I did 4,000 damage to her in the last game and we still lost. gently caress that tower.