Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This thread is ground zero for the third wave forum revival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not that this isn't fascinating to watch, but, like, don't you people have email or facebook or something

why y'all such buzzkills.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I genuinely thought y'all had transititioned to GMS2 at some point in the project to fix those enormous compile times, but now I realize I have no idea what gave me that impression.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So how glad are y'all that the Kickstarter never reached the Superbowl commercial level?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
When you made that FF7 trailer, when there's the white feather, it should have been a brown turkey feather.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Hat Thoughts posted:

This thread is ground zero for the third wave forum revival

It's turned into the Barkley 2 Memorial Slack after 7 years of hibernation

truly blessed

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Truecon420 posted:

and if he's so worried about possible legal liability, this would help solve that too

Even though money and liability are concerns of his it's not all about that. He's a genuine fanatic about this vision, beyond all self-preservation and rationality, which would be respectable if it weren't the single biggest obstacle to actually getting the game out. I'm hoping as he sees the fan reaction and everything he'll finally see reason enough to do the right thing

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Played a bit of the latest build and I had fun, though theres a bunch of little annoyances and awkward UI stuff, but I can tell this evolved quite a bit since I last played at least a year ago.
It feels polished in some parts. Theres still a bunch of little things that feel like the kind of problem we would have fixed long ago if we were doing more playtesting, like problems that are easy for devs to get "used to" and not notice anymore but that playtesters would feel right away.

Id say one of the things that hurt combat the most is how weak the base weapons feel at the start, it makes combat feel like a chore, especially with the firing speed.
Thats what strikes me the most after playing it for the first time in a while. It feels like firing speed should be like x1.5 at least for everything.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
second kickstarter for Frankie to singlehandedly fix this game when

(kidding)

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Played a bit of the latest build and I had fun, though theres a bunch of little annoyances and awkward UI stuff, but I can tell this evolved quite a bit since I last played at least a year ago.
It feels polished in some parts.

Nice, thanks for reporting on this. Based on what you saw, do you think there's a good chance that a vertical slice/short demo could actually happen (in 2019)?

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
I mean as far as I can tell this could just be compiled and made public as-is. I mean, it runs, it works. Just turn off some of the debug stuff, slap on a way to skip the intro tutorial or maybe a few options for warping to different places all over the game so people can more easily explore around, and that would work more or less.

I imagine that bhroom wants something a bit better than that though, he probably has a list of things he would prefer be fixed before a demo release, like getting through a list of stuff that is very-close-to-working-but-not-quite, idk.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

FrankieSmileShow posted:

I mean as far as I can tell this could just be compiled and made public as-is. I mean, it runs, it works. Just turn off some of the debug stuff, slap on a way to skip the intro tutorial or maybe a few options for warping to different places all over the game so people can more easily explore around, and that would work more or less.

I imagine that bhroom wants something a bit better than that though[...]

I hear that; i'm at least glad that if there was just an asset/content dump it would at least include something playable. I think it's safe to assume then that no matter what something playable will be released, as long as this version isn't destroyed somehow, and bhroom decides to release it before America Falls

I think that's good evidence that we will likely be able to play something called Barkley 2 (someday), even if it isn't at all what we wanted, or only marginally made/designed by original team. And as long as there is a good amount of (relatively unchanged) content made by the original team+frankie and others still in it, I think i'll be happy.

I still think bhroom should surrender the current build/control/rights back to original team (+others), if they want it

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 6, 2019

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I imagine the actual reason bhroom hasn't released the demo yet - and maybe never will - is that it completely changes the nature of the project. It makes things tangible. You can't as easily make up excuses for delays or bullshit what's in the game when its in people's hands. Worse, if this is truly his baby and legacy then the absolute last thing he'd want is releasing into a world where people will critique and examine it with the lens of "this took 7 years?"

I'm being cynical, but it's impossible to view this in any other way given what we knew. I think a month from now when we still don't have a demo we can probably point to this being the reason

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug
I would donate literally five hundred dollars if it meant Barkley 2 would come to life. I would cut off my finger

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

WarpDogs posted:

I imagine the actual reason bhroom hasn't released the demo yet - and maybe never will - is that it completely changes the nature of the project. It makes things tangible. You can't as easily make up excuses for delays or bullshit what's in the game when its in people's hands. Worse, if this is truly his baby and legacy then the absolute last thing he'd want is releasing into a world where people will critique and examine it with the lens of "this took 7 years?"

Phrasing it this way makes me think of Theranos.

The tell-all book of the Barkley 2 saga? Bad Balls.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Blue Balls: The Story of Barkley 2 and Its Long Radio Silence

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
release the source code so we can turn this into the first goon project in history that failed twice

I'll not make the website!

MagurEnch
Nov 28, 2015

brapbeat_hardcore posted:

To explain the Sonic Passion thing - there used to be a forum where people (most of whom had selfies for avatars) would talk about Sonic loving them, puking on them and making GBS threads on them as part of their marriage to Sonic The Hedgehog. This made it to the Barkley 1 dev room as an easter egg (the quiz that ended "Sonic only dates white people").

awesome

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

brapbeat_hardcore posted:

Not for the purposes of reaching out and bort doesn't have private messages on but point taken.

To explain the Sonic Passion thing - there used to be a forum where people (most of whom had selfies for avatars) would talk about Sonic loving them, puking on them and making GBS threads on them as part of their marriage to Sonic The Hedgehog. This made it to the Barkley 1 dev room as an easter egg (the quiz that ended "Sonic only dates white people").

Thread delivers

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

space marine todd posted:

Phrasing it this way makes me think of Theranos.

The tell-all book of the Barkley 2 saga? Bad Balls.

It's similar to the Star Citizen Paradox as well

I mean, a gigantic difference is that nobody is trying to scam anyone out of money here. You can be delusional (or bad at making video games) without being malicious

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

WarpDogs posted:

It's similar to the Star Citizen Paradox as well

I mean, a gigantic difference is that nobody is trying to scam anyone out of money here. You can be delusional (or bad at making video games) without being malicious

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by scope creep.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Gang, it's time to actually make Zybourne Clock

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You would say that

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barkmley

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

WarpDogs posted:

the absolute last thing he'd want is releasing into a world where people will critique and examine it with the lens of "this took 7 years?"

No matter what, someone somewhere is going to do this no matter if current ToG happens to release what Frankie just checked out or, if by some miracle, a ToG manages to get a polished demo out

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Could we get a roadmap please

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l482T0yNkeo

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Let's get a few gamemaker coders to volunteer to work for free on it then leak a build with plausible deniability

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

sonic passion

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I compiled the demo and am hosting it here, gently caress the police

EDIT, now on itch
https://tunicate.itch.io/barkley-3

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 10, 2023

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I compiled the demo and am hosting it here, gently caress the police.
I'm looking forward to this demo

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Tunicate posted:

Genuinely amazing. Looking forward to playing more of it after work tomorrow.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Tunicate posted:

I've played 5 seconds and this actually owns.

Which demo was this? Kickstarter? Internal?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

its obviously fake, nerds

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
:piss:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

I'm looking forward to it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

I will believe literally anything.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

good enough, i feel the promise has been fulfilled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Let's kickstart that demo