Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My previous employer did it for Russia but not China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Shut up Meg posted:

I've heard that quite a few companies are adopting the policy of burner laptops for travel to China.

Literally burners as they get destroyed after the trip, not just wiped and then put back into circulation. Which seems both wasteful/paranoid and yet perfectly sensible. Anyone doing that?

Yup. We issue from a pool of older but still usable machines for travel to hostile political environments, which are destroyed on return.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So... uh...

Why is everyone assuming that the user's trip is for business and not just them being a poo poo and wanting the company to foot the bill for their Facebooking the Great Wall?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I don't want to imagine someone who'd take a work asset with them on an international vacation.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Lucky that you have to imagine it TBH.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I don't want to imagine someone who'd take a work asset with them on an international vacation.

I've done it a few times, was nbd.

That being said, I flat out refuse to bring my regular work laptop to USA, and I refuse to travel to the old eastern bloc countries + China.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Why the hell is this in a spreadsheet at all?

I guess that our company, having the glacier pace that it does, decided that they should sort everyones pay out ASAP so, knowing the author of the spreadsheet he will have put his hand up and been all "I'll fix that like the hero I am"

When in reality, I imagine that if someone put in a project request to the SAP dudes and said 'make it do this poo poo yo' they would have done it - it might have taken us past the next pay day (or 2... or 3... remember, glacier) but then if they just gave everyone a one off back pay once it was fixed, from that point on you can sleep soundly in the knowledge from then on, it just works

I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Wibla posted:

I've done it a few times, was nbd.

That being said, I flat out refuse to bring my regular work laptop to USA, and I refuse to travel to the old eastern bloc countries + China.

I was thinking in my USA context, where international travel always means border checkpoints, the risk of intrusive searches, and in general, feels like a big deal. If my vacation is a big deal, I'm not bringing work with me. Actually, I can't recall ever bringing my work laptop with me on a non-work trip, but it's easier to imagine doing so if the trip is just a couple hours from home and there's minimal hassle involved.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

At what point are people going to need to take burner laptops with them when visiting the US?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

chin up everything sucks posted:

At what point are people going to need to take burner laptops with them when visiting the US?

that's been the case for a few years for completely foreign orgs iirc

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chin up everything sucks posted:

That's been recommended for a while now: both for visitors and for Americans

Phones and laptops should be clean before going through the borders and shredded if they are taken off you.

There are a quite a few news articles that show this isn't paranoia.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I don't even take my work laptop HOME most days. My loyalty to The Company ends when I stop being paid. gently caress you, I'm not taking a work laptop on vacation. I'm also shunting my phone into family-and-close-friends-only mode.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I left my work assets at home when I toured Ukraine, but that was as much me not wanting to be obligated to do work as anything. We have a travel safety team at work who told me as long as I'm not crossing contested borders or interacting with protesters on either side, it's fine. The lady who replied to my question had even been to Kiyv the month before and gave me restaurant recommendations.

We have a list of sketchy countries and will hand over a burner (usually a Macbook Air that's nearing EOL anyway), but we don't do business in those countries, so it's a relatively rare request.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I left my work assets at home when I toured Ukraine, but that was as much me not wanting to be obligated to do work as anything. We have a travel safety team at work who told me as long as I'm not crossing contested borders or interacting with protesters on either side, it's fine. The lady who replied to my question had even been to Kiyv the month before and gave me restaurant recommendations.

We have a list of sketchy countries and will hand over a burner (usually a Macbook Air that's nearing EOL anyway), but we don't do business in those countries, so it's a relatively rare request.

I was in Lviv last month and had my work laptop with me; company didn't indicate we should be taking any precautions :shrug: But Lviv is practically Western compared to Kyiv, from what I gather

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Data Graham posted:

I was in Lviv last month and had my work laptop with me; company didn't indicate we should be taking any precautions :shrug: But Lviv is practically Western compared to Kyiv, from what I gather

Really? Kiyv reminded me of Portland, only cleaner and with better street art. Odessa, too, but it felt a bit tense being closer to the contested regions. The only times I had to rely on my translation app was ordering food from a street vendor and trying to get allergy medication at a pharmacy, because everyone had at least rudimentary English skills. 10/10, would play music in Ukraine any time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Really? Kiyv reminded me of Portland, only cleaner and with better street art. Odessa, too, but it felt a bit tense being closer to the contested regions. The only times I had to rely on my translation app was ordering food from a street vendor and trying to get allergy medication at a pharmacy, because everyone had at least rudimentary English skills. 10/10, would play music in Ukraine any time.

To be fair all I saw of Kyiv was the airport, so discount any and all opinions from me as hearsay :v:

But from what I'd been reading the western half of the country was historically a lot less in the Russian orbit, never having been part of the Empire, like to the point where they were even considering switching to the latin alphabet; and the old cultural divisions were still in evidence today in the western/eastern affinities of the respective sides of the country. I don't know where the boundaries are, though. I hope there's one of those Terrible Maps about it.

Lviv seemed completely "normal", for what it's worth. Like just a nice European-ish place. With an insane gimmick restaurant scene https://www.fest.lviv.ua/en/restaurants/

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

Phones and laptops should be clean before going through the borders and shredded if they are taken off you.

Ye I work for a Canadian Law firm and we have clean laptops and phones available to our lawyers that a lot of them use when going down to the US. The "Federation of Law Societies of Canada" recommends lawyers take cleaned devices when traveling to the US due to there electronic devices search laws. I would imagine a lot of other industries are the same.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Data Graham posted:

To be fair all I saw of Kyiv was the airport, so discount any and all opinions from me as hearsay :v:

But from what I'd been reading the western half of the country was historically a lot less in the Russian orbit, never having been part of the Empire, like to the point where they were even considering switching to the latin alphabet; and the old cultural divisions were still in evidence today in the western/eastern affinities of the respective sides of the country. I don't know where the boundaries are, though. I hope there's one of those Terrible Maps about it.

Lviv seemed completely "normal", for what it's worth. Like just a nice European-ish place. With an insane gimmick restaurant scene https://www.fest.lviv.ua/en/restaurants/

Oh god, Boryspil might as well be in the 3rd world compared to Kiyv. It's an incredibly depressing 45 minute drive from the city, and no one seems to like having to work there. I've never met such openly hostile airport employees, and I've flown out of some weird rural airports just after 9-11 when everyone was a paranoid, confrontational rear end in a top hat.

Apparently Kiyv's thing is shopping malls, and there's an extensive network of underground tunnels shoved full of stalls and tiny shops. Our tour guide kept making sarcastic jokes about capitalism while we walked thru the old part of the city.

Trying to make this derail IT related...I tried to roll without a SIM card while in Europe. Free wifi was relatively plentiful, but didn't seem to offer much bandwidth. I play Pokemon Go and was looking forward to picking up some regionals, but the best I could do was a trio of Mr. Mimes in the Schipol airport, because the drat game wouldn't even load in most places in Ukraine. Paris allegedly had municipal wifi, but it never worked consistently. Cool idea, meh implementation.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
A ticket came in...from a provisioning tech asking if we could download RAM.

It was not clear, for quite a while, whether or not he was serious. Dude just straight-faced an entire chat room for like 5 minutes before finally admitting he just wanted to see how far it'd go.

You glorious bastard, I'm definitely nominating you for one of our dumb internal awards next time they come around.

And yes, the chat did immediately get bombed by so many sheep emojis.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

It was not clear, for quite a while, whether or not he was serious. Dude just straight-faced an entire chat room for like 5 minutes before finally admitting he just wanted to see how far it'd go.

You glorious bastard, I'm definitely nominating you for one of our dumb internal awards next time they come around.

sudo swapon

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Should've sent him to https://downloadmoreram.com/

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Someone did so I didn't have to.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shut up Meg posted:

At least since 2014 I remember being very disinclined to bring devices to USA with me.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I went to Australia for work once, my company were rather sketchy about sorting my VISA properly - I think i should have only been allowed to like advertise at a trade show, not do any actual work... so I just took my blackberry (lol blackberry) and had someone over there have a laptop ready and waiting for me in case i got asked.

That was an interesting few months.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

angry armadillo posted:

I went to Australia for work once, my company were rather sketchy about sorting my VISA properly - I think i should have only been allowed to like advertise at a trade show, not do any actual work... so I just took my blackberry (lol blackberry) and had someone over there have a laptop ready and waiting for me in case i got asked.

That was an interesting few months.

Our border guys would be more inclined to be investigative about your stuff if it was an actual blackberry instead of the branded phone :v:.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

What's that old adage about never making changes on a Friday? Our website was updated and the shiny new graphic that people click on to make online police reports now redirects to the completely wrong site. They made this change an hour before 5pm on a Friday. :argh:

Edit: Finally fixed this morning. Best part is the website team claimed that nothing had been changed and that someone unrelated had sent out "a bad link". Is it really so hard to just admit you screwed up and take responsibility?

Marcade fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 10, 2019

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

JFC, no matter what day of the week it is, if it's a customer facing production change, do it when there are fewer (preferably none) customers that will see it.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Our border guys would be more inclined to be investigative about your stuff if it was an actual blackberry instead of the branded phone :v:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZaC1kcZZlE

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Arquinsiel posted:

So... uh...

Why is everyone assuming that the user's trip is for business and not just them being a poo poo and wanting the company to foot the bill for their Facebooking the Great Wall?

It's a combo trip! He's there for a week for business (which he doesn't need VPN) then there for two weeks for personal time!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Australian Border Security show is constantly on TV in Norway, and it's equal parts hilarious and dystopian.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

evobatman posted:

The Australian Border Security show is constantly on TV in Norway, and it's equal parts hilarious and dystopian.

:negative:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

evobatman posted:

Same here in Ireland. I love the episodes where they give some poor teenager poo poo over her bead necklace for the full show and then tell her she'll have to pay to have it irradiated and the cost is like $20 and she's just :stare: at them for wasting her time and making her think she'd lose some gift from her dead mom or some poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Getting word that somebody we look after might have started on a project, had a load of marketing created and built the brand of the thing they're trying to launch based on a domain name they do not own and had not made any enquiries about purchasing from the current owners :munch:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Getting word that somebody we look after might have started on a project, had a load of marketing created and built the brand of the thing they're trying to launch based on a domain name they do not own and had not made any enquiries about purchasing from the current owners :munch:
I wish I lived in a world where this even remotely surprised me

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Let us know when they hire a hitman to go and extort the domain from the current owner.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Odds of this person ever being held responsible for their huge fuckup?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanatosian posted:

Odds of this person ever being held responsible for their huge fuckup?

Stop writing Joker origin stories, I can't take it anymore.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

I routinely run into the much smaller scale version of this with phone numbers. A company will have a bunch of DID blocks and they're set up so that employees' internal extensions match the last 4 digits of their direct line for convenience's sake. Like they own the block of numbers 555-123X and e.g. there's an employee with the internal extension 1236 and a direct phone line of 555-1236. Then they hire another employee, give them extension 1240, and print business cards for them listing 555-1240 as their number when the 555-124X block actually belongs to who knows who.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Just overheard a manager answer a new sysadmin: "why yes, we are using the free version of TeamViewer here." He wasn't even that surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Thanks Ants posted:

quote:

21 Jun 2002
PwC Consulting ridiculed in domain name farce

PricewaterhouseCoopers consulting arm has re-branded as “Monday” at a cost of £70 million. Included in this figure was its purchase for over £3 million of the name and trade marks of a PR firm that was, inconveniently, called “OneMonday.” For just £10 more, however, PwC could have avoided some of the humiliation it now faces on the internet.

Monday’s launch web site is at the domain name IntroducingMonday.com. Unfortunately, PwC did not bother to register IntroducingMonday.co.uk (which would have cost around £10). That name has been taken by the comedy site b3ta.com which is running a piece of animation at IntroducingMonday.co.uk which sticks two fingers up to Monday with the message “We’ve got your name.”

Cybersquatting it may be, but Monday is only likely to face further humiliation by taking any action to recover the name.

Monday’s main site will be at Monday.com. Unfortunately, it did not acquire Monday.co.uk which is owned by e-mail provider another.com and can be used by anyone as an address @Monday.co.uk. Monday.cc is also poking fun at the consultants.

(site is gone now, but it had a lovely song 'We've got your name, lalala')