Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Got a leaky faucet. I think the valve is cracked.

The faucet seems kinda stuck. Is the best way to remove it to get two wrenches and twist in opposite directions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Quoting myself in the hopes of getting a quick answer:

Professor Shark posted:

I'm making a recipe for a work thing and it calls for crème fraiche to be added.

I started making the crème fraiche yesterday afternoon (late), but I'm worried it will not turn out in time. I need to have it completed for tomorrow.

Is there an alternative that I can use?

Edit: I just checked the bottles I started... it is semi thick, ketchup like in consistency

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Professor Shark posted:

Is there an alternative that I can use?

Sour cream?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
A lot of different things, depending on what you're making, but usually yeah sour cream. What are you making?

E: oh nvm recipe is linked

E2: I'd suggest a thick, rich sour cream (think Daisy) thinned with buttermilk would be a good match for that soup.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 5, 2019

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Steve Yun posted:

Got a leaky faucet. I think the valve is cracked.

The faucet seems kinda stuck. Is the best way to remove it to get two wrenches and twist in opposite directions?

Is that pex pipe? Old pex can get brittle and crack easy. I'd try to keep the female end of the plumbing fixed in place and just crank on the faucet.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Can HTML5 really do all the stuff Flash could?

Pretty much, but you lose the IDE, which is really what made flash great (although maybe someone's made a similar tool for HTML5)

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I have a cheap radial-dial beach radio that stays tuned to 88.5 out of Amherst, Massachusetts. This morning the radio picked up three or four other stations on that same band, and one of them came out of Missouri (I heard the forecast for St. Louis). What's the science behind that? Solar flares or something? I dont know much at all about radio phenomena.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

That doesn't even seem possible for FM.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I did a little research after posting and stumbled across this, which is the only explanation I could find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporadic_E_propagation?wprov=sfla1

quote:

Communication distances of 800–2200 km can occur using a single Es cloud. This variability in distance depends on a number of factors, including cloud height and density. MUF also varies widely, but most commonly falls in the 25 – 150 MHz range, which includes the FM broadcast band (87.5–108 MHz), Band I VHF television (American channels 2-6, Russian channels 1-3, and European channels 2-4, the latter no longer used in Western Europe), CB radio (27 MHz) and the amateur radio 2-meter, 4-meter, 6-meter, and 10-meter bands. Strong events have allowed propagation at frequencies as high as 250 MHz.

As its name suggests, sporadic E is an abnormal event, but can happen at almost any time; it does, however, display seasonal patterns. Sporadic E activity peaks predictably in the summertime in both hemispheres. In North America, the peak is most noticeable in mid-to-late June, trailing off through July and into August. 

But if someone has a better explanation I'm all ears.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Farrier Theaks posted:

But if someone has a better explanation I'm all ears.

1. someone is streaming a radio station from missouri over the internet and they are then broadcasting that stream over the radio in massachussetts

2. a local massachusetts radio station is simply discussing the weather forecast in st louis missouri for some unknown reason (sports? some other event?) and thats the bit you happened to tune into.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 5, 2019

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Earwicker posted:

1. someone is streaming a radio station from missouri over the internet and they are then broadcasting that stream over the radio in massachussetts

2. a local massachusetts radio station is simply discussing the weather forecast in st louis missouri for some unknown reason (sports? some other event?) and thats the bit you happened to tune into.

The first sounds pretty plausible, so I'll roll with that. But for 2., I didnt mention that the station also said that the local time was 7:30 (when it was 8:30 over here in eastern time). Thanks!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone know of any free booking scheduler web apps that are alternates to a site like youcanbook.me? I only need this functionality for about 12 days a year so it makes no sense to pay their $10 a month rate to use it, but I'm not seeing much else that doesn't have a cost associated with it.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I want to send a key chain from the US to a friend in Canada. It should be small enough to send through standard postage, since it would fit inside an envelope, but it is surprisingly difficult to find info about small international postage costs for things like that. Anyone have a lead for a way to ship it in a way that won't cost $25?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tenik posted:

I want to send a key chain from the US to a friend in Canada. It should be small enough to send through standard postage, since it would fit inside an envelope, but it is surprisingly difficult to find info about small international postage costs for things like that. Anyone have a lead for a way to ship it in a way that won't cost $25?

Shipping to Canada is absolute bullshit and they'll absolutely charge you something like 25 dollars

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Unless it's fragile or heavy just stick it in a greeting card and they'll treat it like an ordinary letter.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Do eyelids (and/or the muscles that control them) have a natural state? Like, at-rest-open or at-rest-closed?

I'm having trouble sleeping, and it's got me thinking how the #1 determinant if I'm getting close to tired-enough-to-sleep is if I feel like relaxing has my eyelids close or not.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Neither open or closed is their "natural" state, there's more than one muscle group that controls the eyelids and they're agonists (not sure if that's the right word) to each other.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Powered Descent posted:

Is there any way to get the smell of an essential oil out of cloth upholstery? A bottle of lemongrass oil spilled on my couch last week.

So far I've tried:
  • Sponging up with plenty of water
  • Fucktons of Febreeze
  • Upholstery cleaner
  • That odor-absorbing pre-vacuuming carpet dust stuff
  • Oxy-powered liquid carpet cleaner
  • Hauling it outside to bake in direct sunlight for a few hours
  • Covering the spill area in baking soda overnight
  • Drenching the spill area in hydrogen peroxide
and my entire living room still smells like nuclear-powered lemon Pledge. There's no visible stain, in fact all of this has left my couch looking cleaner than it has in a while. But you walk in and your nose is immediately assaulted by the power of the Lemon. Is there anything (short of cleansing it with fire) I can do to fix this? Nastier chemicals, industrial shampooers, deals with lemon-associated evil spirits?

Ozium.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Powered Descent posted:

Is there any way to get the smell of an essential oil out of cloth upholstery? A bottle of lemongrass oil spilled on my couch last week.

So far I've tried:
  • Sponging up with plenty of water
  • Fucktons of Febreeze
  • Upholstery cleaner
  • That odor-absorbing pre-vacuuming carpet dust stuff
  • Oxy-powered liquid carpet cleaner
  • Hauling it outside to bake in direct sunlight for a few hours
  • Covering the spill area in baking soda overnight
  • Drenching the spill area in hydrogen peroxide
and my entire living room still smells like nuclear-powered lemon Pledge. There's no visible stain, in fact all of this has left my couch looking cleaner than it has in a while. But you walk in and your nose is immediately assaulted by the power of the Lemon. Is there anything (short of cleansing it with fire) I can do to fix this? Nastier chemicals, industrial shampooers, deals with lemon-associated evil spirits?

I'd try a steam cleaner if you have one.

The oils are designed to vaporise in water heated by a candle, so if you can the temp up there, they should just boil off.
All the techniques you have done so far are suited to water-based contaminates, not oils.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Do eyelids (and/or the muscles that control them) have a natural state? Like, at-rest-open or at-rest-closed?

I'm having trouble sleeping, and it's got me thinking how the #1 determinant if I'm getting close to tired-enough-to-sleep is if I feel like relaxing has my eyelids close or not.

I read somewhere that the natural state is closed. It takes muscles to keep them open.

When you die, your muscles relax and your eyes close.

So when you see people closing eyelids of their war buddies, that is bullshit.

Or so I read.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Fruit at the grocery store is very consistent with one exception being watermelon. Watermelon is a total crap shoot, sometimes it's sweet and amazing and sometimes it's La Croix flesh. Why is watermelon so unreliable?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Robokomodo posted:

I read somewhere that the natural state is closed. It takes muscles to keep them open.

Or so I read.

You read wrong.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Robokomodo posted:

Or so I read.

They stay open unless they are forced closed until rigor mortis sets in which will freeze them in that state. This is why eyes are often superglued shut for open casket funerals.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
If Queen Elizabeth II is married to Prince Philip, why is he just a prince and not a king? Shouldn't someone married to a queen be a king?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Leavemywife posted:

If Queen Elizabeth II is married to Prince Philip, why is he just a prince and not a king? Shouldn't someone married to a queen be a king?

King Consort as a concept isn't really a thing (like there is for Queen Consort), so if Philip was titled king that would be implying he's above or equal to the rightful monarch, which wasn't going to happen.

Edit: I don't think he was even inherently entitled to prince(?)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

dupersaurus posted:

King Consort as a concept isn't really a thing (like there is for Queen Consort), so if Philip was titled king that would be implying he's above or equal to the rightful monarch, which wasn't going to happen.

He's a prince cause the little lady indoors says he is:

quote:

On February 22, 1957 the palace issued a statement. “The Queen has been pleased by Letters Patent under the Great Seal of the Realm bearing date 22nd February, 1957, to give and grant unto His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh, K.G., K.T., G.B.E., the style and titular dignity of a Prince of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Whitehall. The Queen has been pleased to declare her will and pleasure that His 'Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh shall henceforth be known as His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.”

Though, he was both a Greek and a Danish prince before he married her (he had to lose the titles)

E: Actually, the story of their getting together is surprisingly romantic and not the 'marry your cousin because Father tells you to' that you would expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0A9CDP4gUc&t=160s

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 6, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've started getting 11-second silent voicemails to my Google Voice number. I don't get these sorts of calls to my regular number. What gives?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

dupersaurus posted:

I never thought about it being that he'd be "above" the queen. I just figured, hey, you marry a queen, you're now a king.

Shut up Meg posted:

He's a prince cause the little lady indoors says he is:

Though, he was both a Greek and a Danish prince before he married her (he had to lose the titles)

E: Actually, the story of their getting together is surprisingly romantic and not the 'marry your cousin because Father tells you to' that you would expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0A9CDP4gUc&t=160s

I had no idea he was a prince before all that, either.

Thanks for the quick answers. It was something that came up when my mother and I were eating lunch today.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Discord has recently rolled out server banners, little images at the top of the channel list where the server name formerly would have gone.

How do I hide it so it doesn't take up space on my UI?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Life sucks right now. Anyone have any happy SA threads?

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

The train thread is super fun. There are a lot of PYF threads as well that are just Post Your Favorite whatever.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572232

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654252

Skratchez fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 7, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The GiP doggo thread is always good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Greyhounds thread! - It's mostly great pictures of ridiculous dogs, you should look at them.

Same deal with the Bird Crazies thread - there are some sad stories in there, but it's mostly a bunch of people loving their pets.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Skratchez posted:

The train thread

Whaaaa?:swoon: Somehow I have never come across this. Where is it?

(Not a foamer I swear just think trains are really cool. I like tracks too.)

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 7, 2019

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Whaaaa?:swoon: Somehow I have never come across this. Where is it?

(Not a foamer I swear just think trains are really cool. I like tracks too.)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394711

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Stravag posted:

The GiP doggo thread is always good

Doggos! Many good doggos. I needed that.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Thanks for the recommendations! I hate trying to scroll through Reddit, even for fun stuff.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Motronic posted:

You read wrong.

All the drat time.

I also read that if you post something that might be wrong, you’ll get 400 people with the “correct” answer. So, problem solved.

Thanks guys!

I hope you’re low on the spectrum.

Robokomodo fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 7, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robokomodo posted:

All the drat time.

I also read that if you post something that might be wrong, you’ll get 400 people with the “correct” answer. So, problem solved.

Thanks guys!

lmao he corrected you so you called him autistic.

gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Robokomodo posted:

You're obviously not.