Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Syenite posted:

So... in light of that crackdown, anybody have any recs for good web novels with LGBT themes? (I, personally, prefer sci-fi/fantasy stuff over drama/historical types.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo_Dao_Zu_Shi is a yaoi webnovel that got made into a very popular anime, from what I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Megazver posted:

I just hope this doesn't affect Cultivation Chat Group.
Not looking good https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/4952826/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Well, the actual guidelines I posted specifically don't mention fighting as one of the forbidden topics and say that light-hearted xianxia without too much gore is one of the encouraged ones. I'd be more concerned about the few jokes about the government that the author made.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 6, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Syenite posted:

So... in light of that crackdown, anybody have any recs for good web novels with LGBT themes? (I, personally, prefer sci-fi/fantasy stuff over drama/historical types.)

If you're OK with Bleach fanfic (and let's be honest here, this is the webnovel thread, it's not a place to get fussy about high art), Now You Feel Like Number None is a remarkably well-done web serial with light audience-participation elements, and has multiple endearing gay romances involving both women and men.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

If you're OK with Bleach fanfic (and let's be honest here, this is the webnovel thread, it's not a place to get fussy about high art)

actually the line has been drawn at bleach fanfic multiple times in this forum

we do not cross that line

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Why would the Chinese government care about this poo poo? I understand they are cracking down now due to a certain anniversary, but webnovels seem like they should be pretty far down the priority list.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Konstantin posted:

Why would the Chinese government care about this poo poo? I understand they are cracking down now due to a certain anniversary, but webnovels seem like they should be pretty far down the priority list.

AFAIK it's decently popular amongst a decently wide range of people? It's light reading and easy to pick up and put down, whether you're in school or at work. It's the sort of thing that's surely somewhat popular amongst the youth but also has appeal with older people because it's a format and not a genre. And it's on the internet and free. There's far, far less barriers to entry than traditional publishing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

Forge of Destiny one of the main side-characters is lesbian. Very understated in the first half because the MC doesn't realize it. Probably my favorite web novel. The version on Royal Road is an edited version, but the original story is still running on Sufficient Velocity forums.

Unrelated to the topic you were talking about, but I've been catching up with Threads of Destiny, and one thing I'm continually amazed about is how incredibly cool and unique the imagery is for all the techniques the characters use. Even complete randos have extremely badass skills. A good example is that upperclassman sword guy Ling Qi dueled with fairly recently, who seemingly had the ability to cut through techniques. I feel like the author has got to run out of ideas at some point.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ytlaya posted:

Unrelated to the topic you were talking about, but I've been catching up with Threads of Destiny, and one thing I'm continually amazed about is how incredibly cool and unique the imagery is for all the techniques the characters use. Even complete randos have extremely badass skills. A good example is that upperclassman sword guy Ling Qi dueled with fairly recently, who seemingly had the ability to cut through techniques. I feel like the author has got to run out of ideas at some point.

It really is impressive.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Man, if it's crazy imagery you want, just wait until you reach the most recent updates.

Cai Renxiang and Ling Qi working together to kill a Green 5 dude, right after Ling Qi killed off most of the fighting force of around 70 dudes. For all that people still occasionally complain about working with Cai, the two of them fighting together is visually very thematic with the whole bright light casting a shadow thing.

non-spoiler version: man, Cai Renxiang and Ling Qi fighting together is cool as gently caress

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've just been reading stuff people feed into Talktotransformer and reading the content that comes out. It's very webnovel in quality.

quote:

"how should I know you're not an idiot?" mae has these big, wild green hands. you find it creepy. maybe the turd on the statue had been a prank. "the statue looks like the kind of one someone might be interested in trying if they didn't know where it came from" says mae, "they'll figure it out."

"no. the statue is pretty much impossible" you say. "i know how to make statues" says mae. so you go back to the museum in hopes you find the statue's legs. it won't give you much of a chance.

suddenly there's a girl with a huge spider in her hair and she's dancing around in circles. she's a little pink spider, with big spider legs and they're coming at you! she starts throwing some web around. you realize she's going to bite you. it's very scary.

you look back at mae and say, "the spider girl's gonna bite you too then?" she says "no way!" and then she turns away for several moments before she finally does bite you. then you stand up, and she says "now that's sexy!"

It even throws in the translation brackets sometimes.

quote:

I'm not gonna buy that that guy actually used machine learning for that unless 」 (Alice)

「 ……I'm telling you, it was just a trick. If the user has some kind of talent or other skill, how much power of AI software they could build is entirely unrelated to whether they had an AI machine or not. If those programs already contain a lot of magic power then you could also use it for that.

After all, that computer of mine only has about 50,000 CPU cores. With that kind of amount of memory we would have an almost equal power of AI magic. Well, if we use magic power, it might not be that large. And even if we use AI machines, it will probably feel slower…」 (Naofumi)

「 ……So it's something that only AI programs can do, right?

But just today my memory of Magic was so bad! I didn't know I could use it by myself when magic power's so low.

I don't think that could be a good sign. There are plenty of people with a lot of magic power, but that's just me.

「 That's because there are a lot of magic skills being made with machines. There are people with magic that has even been developed by machines that can do stuff like magic-type attacks, magic-

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Argas posted:

AFAIK it's decently popular amongst a decently wide range of people? It's light reading and easy to pick up and put down, whether you're in school or at work. It's the sort of thing that's surely somewhat popular amongst the youth but also has appeal with older people because it's a format and not a genre. And it's on the internet and free. There's far, far less barriers to entry than traditional publishing.

Webnovels in China are far, far more popular than they are in the West.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cynic Jester posted:

Webnovels in China are far, far more popular than they are in the West.

Yeah. Also, they're also doing this to movies and videogames.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Konstantin posted:

china always has time for getting mad about gays, friend

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

china always has time for getting mad about gays, friend

Also, they're an authoritarian state who understand how art is used to shape culture.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Government censorship is such a strange thing, as someone from the states, it's real hard to wrap my head around it. I wonder if the Chinese stuff I follow is all going to disappear now? "Violence" seems like such an all-encompassing topic that I can't image what censoring it would look like if not just scrubbing like 90% of webnovels on the market out of existence.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

sunken fleet posted:

Government censorship is such a strange thing, as someone from the states, it's real hard to wrap my head around it. I wonder if the Chinese stuff I follow is all going to disappear now? "Violence" seems like such an all-encompassing topic that I can't image what censoring it would look like if not just scrubbing like 90% of webnovels on the market out of existence.

i know, its strange to see the government doing it instead of sinclair broadcast group and newscorp

not even letting billionaires profit off your propaganda policies, shameful

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's interesting to see government criticism being tiptoed around.

Like in CCG Shuhang mentions that his parents really wanted to have a daughter too, and if only the cool and good two child policy had started sooner

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

the usa also censors the hell out of inconvenient things, they just do so via media blackouts

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Yinlock posted:

the usa also censors the hell out of inconvenient things, they just do so via media blackouts

lol

please give me one example of a time when the US government moved against webfiction

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

There's quite a lot of censorship done in the US via soft coercion rather than through explicit bans. The most well-known example is probably the US military letting filmmakers use military equipment in exchange for the military being able to vet the script to remove anything that makes the military look bad. It's an intentional way to shape the film industry to make flashy, exciting, pro-military films very easy to make, and to make realistic, critical or anti-war films harder and more expensive to make.

The American Library Association also keeps track of the proud American tradition of schools, libraries, and concerned members of the public getting (or attempting to get) books banned or removed from school reading lists. This is normally for things like "mentioning sex, at all" or "having queer people in them".

The US also censors a lot of war coverage by just restricting journalists' access to war zones. This is something they started doing after Vietnam because people kept taking photos of all the dead civilians and so on.

It's obviously not a one-to-one comparison to the situation in China, which is much more extreme, but there is censorship in the US. It's just less, and done with a different approach.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Obviously the rest of the world isn't perfect but like I'm not worried about Archive of Our Own going poof overnight or the admins being disappear'd for hosting superhero erotica.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 7, 2019

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Censorship in China vs the US isn't just "not a one to one" it's not in the same loving universe of comparisons, come on. Don't do that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

lol

please give me one example of a time when the US government moved against webfiction

interesting how insanely specific you had to narrow things to

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Yinlock posted:

interesting how insanely specific you had to narrow things to

welcome to the web novel thread where web novels are discussed friend, if you want to discuss the pressure the US government puts on the news media or hollywood or whatever I welcome you to do that... elsewhere

edit: so this is less of a Zing! type of post, that insanely narrow niche being censored is what sort of boggled my mind in the first place. Like the idea that the US government might start pressuring weedlord69.blogspot.com to be less "subversive" and to tone down its bong and bong adjacent content is just so ludicrous to me on its face that it's astonishing to think of and yet that seems to be exactly what's happening over there in China - tiny internet only operations being targetted for censorship I mean. It's a real eye-opener.

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 7, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

welcome to the web novel thread where web novels are discussed friend, if you want to discuss the pressure the US government puts on the news media or hollywood or whatever I welcome you to do that... elsewhere

edit: so this is less of a Zing! type of post, that insanely narrow niche being censored is what sort of boggled my mind in the first place. Like the idea that the US government might start pressuring weedlord69.blogspot.com to be less "subversive" and to tone down its bong and bong adjacent content is just so ludicrous to me on its face that it's astonishing to think of and yet that seems to be exactly what's happening over there in China - tiny internet only operations being targetted for censorship I mean. It's a real eye-opener.

tbf bonermaster26 has had free reign for way too long

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding FoD, I was reading some of the new interlude chapters on Royal Road (LLSix, in case you aren't you should keep an eye out for those, since they're new chapters where the subject is decided by patreon subscribers) and the recent one (or ones, forget if this was in the same chapter) revealing that both Han Jian and Gu Xiulan were basically using Ling Qi at the beginning was pretty interesting. It made perfect sense, but it's still interesting that they were both just practicing what is apparently a pretty common strategy of making talented commoners indebted to you so they can potentially be a servant/handmaiden/etc later. It's also interesting seeing how Ling Qi attaching herself to Meizhen must have stung for Han Jian, since he was already feeling pretty insecure. Speaking of Han Jian, I hope we find out more at some point about the history of the Golden Fields folks. I've always thought that Gu Xiulan having romantic feelings towards Han Jian must have some sort of backstory to it.

One of the interesting things about Ling Qi's social life has always been how atomized it is; all her separate social groups - Meizhen (which kinda includes Cai), Li Suyin/Su Ling, and then Xiulan/Golden Fields - have virtually no interaction with one another, and she's never managed to succeed at making them get along, despite trying. I like how it's basically a realistic way for things to progress.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

sunken fleet posted:

dit: so this is less of a Zing! type of post, that insanely narrow niche being censored is what sort of boggled my mind in the first place. Like the idea that the US government might start pressuring weedlord69.blogspot.com to be less "subversive" and to tone down its bong and bong adjacent content is just so ludicrous to me on its face that it's astonishing to think of and yet that seems to be exactly what's happening over there in China - tiny internet only operations being targetted for censorship I mean. It's a real eye-opener.

It's important to note that one of the reasons Webnovels became so big are the harsh restrictions on books limiting what is published in China. It's not as if some dude pulled these rules out of their rear end just recently, they've been doing it for decades in other entertainment spaces. And it's also important to note that these aren't tiny internet only opertations, but a multi-billion industry being targeted. Webnovels in China are big business, it's more like they're loving with Kindle than multiple individuals personal blogspots.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/etvofluff/status/1132318691985580032

That's quite the numbers.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

china's fun police are very thorough

e: though tbf like 90% of wns are garbage trash and deserve it, but I'm sad about the few good ones that'll get axed

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 7, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
CCG will be missed.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

CCG will be missed.

At least according to CKTalon, for whatever his word is worth since he seems to be the webnovel mouthpiece these days, CCG was cleared like two weeks ago.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tornhelm posted:

At least according to CKTalon, for whatever his word is worth since he seems to be the webnovel mouthpiece these days, CCG was cleared like two weeks ago.

Is this posted somewhere public?

Either way, glad to hear it.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Megazver posted:

Is this posted somewhere public?

Either way, glad to hear it.

On the webnovel forums.

https://forum.webnovel.com/d/24320-chinese-censorship

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i alone level up (aka solo leveling) is fully translated now, albeit on qidian. it was never better than okay and the manwha is flat out superior to the wn. it turned out that the game elements were fake and meant to mask jin-woo's gradual inheritance of power.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
If only the game elements were representing the fact that the MC was insane and it was his way of coping with having powers.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Wait there's only one published transferred novel of Honzuki?

Fuuuuck

Good thing it doesn't end on a cliffhanger or anything!!

e: actually I can just read the web novel, huh? The translator is blastron so I assume the translation is pretty good.

nrook fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 8, 2019

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

nrook posted:

Fuuuuck

Well, unless Blastron took his translation down, it should cover the first arc's three novels entirely.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nrook posted:

Fuuuuck

e: actually I can just read the web novel, huh? The translator is blastron so I assume the translation is pretty good.

Honzuki is made of 5 parts. In the LN version part 1 is three books, part 2 is four. I don’t remember exactly where blastron’s translations stopped but IIRC it was less than halfway through part 2, so probably book 4 or 5?

The Japanese LNs have like 20 books out and still aren’t through part 4, with part 5 being one of the longer sections.

Having read the WN raw to the end, my opinion is that Honzuki only starts to really hit its stride around the end of part 2 (though there’s one part of part 3 that’s kinda bad) and parts 4 and 5 are the best part of the series.

It’s a long road ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is the kinda bad part the part I complained about before or is that yet to come? I am on chapter 242 where MaineMyne gets an earful from Ferdinand after she loads a bunch of mana into a magic sword and inadvertently gives it sapient thought

I've said this in the past but I like the obsessive detail Honzuki gets into but sometimes it gets really hard when you're only at an intermediate level in Japanese and you have to wade through chapters like "Measuring my bodyguard for her new clothes" and have to Google japanese fashion words, etc etc.