Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1136651988681277451?s=19

At this point im expecting Angela to get retconned as being only into straight white dudes

E: looks like the guardians annual is setting up the plot for the next year and/or the next cosmic event

I don't know why Blade of all characters is having such a resurgence but I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I don't know why Blade of all characters is having such a resurgence but I like it.

They need to make another movie with Snipes, only this time have him attempt the British accent.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think Jason Aaron wanted to tell a vampire story in Avengers.
Or he had a dream about a baby Man-Thing and it was all there to justify putting that in a comic.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

John Boyega would make a great Blade and he would be british

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Metalshark posted:

Speculation, but that seems like a very Al Ewing kinda lineup, and I'd definitely trust him to be aware of the importance of Sera. He was also behind America Chavez and Lisa* before that got unceremoniously undone in her solo, so he has previous for Gays in Space. He also has previously written (well, naturally) everyone but Angela already.

* https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Lisa_Halloran_(Earth-616)

But yeah, bummer with Sera in Asgardians of the Galaxy with Bunn. :bang:

I can believe it's an Ewing book if for no other reason than he is the only person at marvel that acknowledges the existence of Monica Rambeau

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

John Boyega would make a great Blade and he would be british

No, I specifically want to see Wesley Snipes attempt a British accent. I predict it would be Keanu Reeves level.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CBR singing praises on Black Cat:

quote:

Black Cat #1 (Marvel Comics)

Jump from the Read Pile. If you take the archetype of the antihero scoundrel femme fatale cat burglar, boil it down to the core essentials and toss in a soupcon of super powers, you'd likely get something like this refreshingly entertaining issue. It discards all the pathos and complications the character took on in recent years, sticking to what endures about the character. This Jed McKay script has no flaws, doing just enough with supporting characters to make them nuanced. The wildly kinetic, subtle and elegant artwork from Travel Foreman, Brian Reber and Ferran Delgado deliver on the goods. Then, just when you thought it was over, there’s a simply delicious backup by McKay with art by Mike Dowling, Reber and Delgado that is a plain hoot. If you're looking for a good time doing naughty things, you won't have bad luck if you say, "Hi, Felicia!" RATING: BUY.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

site posted:

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1136651988681277451?s=19

At this point im expecting Angela to get retconned as being only into straight white dudes

Maybe she’ll hook up with Wiccan.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They haven't said it's Al Ewing writing it, but assuming it's Al Ewing I assume he's not going to do the whole gay/bi erasure thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have both 'No ____' weekly series had the same writers? It's probably them again.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have both 'No ____' weekly series had the same writers? It's probably them again.

oh, duh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think both of them were Ewing, Zub and Waid.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No Hulkling, no Sera. :ohdear:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

They need to make another movie with Snipes, only this time have him attempt the British accent.

He is currently on the council of vampires

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Synthbuttrange posted:

No Hulkling, no Sera. :ohdear:

wiccan and hulkling were still together as of last week, so i will go out on a limb and say they'll be okay

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So apparently the name of the new mystery Spidey villain is Kindred. Make of that what you will.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

TwoPair posted:

Other than Black Panther and Spider-man, there can only be one other black male character with his own series and it's Blade's turn now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1137586263375208453

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i cant remember, is that builder code, or the glyphs from the black monday murders

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It'll be for X-Men or another new thing, given the "I've done it again."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, I posted the same tweet in the X-Men thread. I doubt Hickman's doing a new indie thing for awhile just because it sounds like he's doing way more for the X-Men stuff than he did for F4 or Avengers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah I know it's for X-Men, I'm saying those glyphs look very familiar to one of those two and I'm wondering if it is one of the two (if anyone has either of the issues with those primers handy), or a new thing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Yeah I know it's for X-Men, I'm saying those glyphs look very familiar to one of those two and I'm wondering if it is one of the two (if anyone has either of the issues with those primers handy), or a new thing

It's the cursive equivalent to Doop Speak.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Yvonmukluk posted:

So apparently the name of the new mystery Spidey villain is Kindred. Make of that what you will.

He seems to be neither kind nor red.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

site posted:

It's new. Builder code is much more rounded, and doesn't have the uniformity of super- and sub-central character marks.

The language in Black Monday Murders is much more circle/arc-based, and looks designed to be written in cursive (article is fluff, images have some examples)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh no.

never tweet your heroes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, Dan. :allears:

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1138054282371043328

If you ever wanted to see Twitter form like Voltron and dunk on Slott, now's your chance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Keep sharing, Slott still has me blocked from like 5 years ago.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, tbh i dont really disagree that theres utility in letting peter be a more universal character by not pinning him down to a particular religion

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I have no problem with Peter not being a specific religion. Most characters aren't.

There are a multitude of things to dunk on Slott for. This is not one of them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

At the same time, Ms. Marvel is both Muslim and universal.

Also Slott has said stuff like this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would argue that kamala being distinctly pakistani-american, muslim, and a girl are all very much entwined with her story in a way that peter parker has not really had to deal with. and that she is hated by one segment of readership while being loved by a another often neglected demo because she not universal in the white male oriented common usage of the term

site fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 10, 2019

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

i would argue that kamala being distinctly pakistani-american, muslim, and a girl are all very much entwined with her story in a way that peter parker has not really had to deal with. and that she is hated by one segment of readership while being loved by a another often neglected demo because she not universal in the white male oriented common usage of the term

I would semi-agree; that a big part of Kamala's appeal is that she isn't a 'universal' character - with experiences and identity that distinctly define her - but that she has been written in ways that broaden and universalize those experiences and that identity. Even old white dudes like me can think Kamala is amazing despite having so little in common with her.

Mind you, that requires writers who have more skill and subtlety than Dan Slott, so....

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010
I'm sure a proper Spidey-nerd can set me right, but I have vague memories of his being raised Catholic coming up in a story drawn by either Larsen or Bagley. Possibly during the time it was revealed that he liked Elvis Costello and MJ was heavy into Guns N Roses and Hammer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I would semi-agree; that a big part of Kamala's appeal is that she isn't a 'universal' character - with experiences and identity that distinctly define her - but that she has been written in ways that broaden and universalize those experiences and that identity. Even old white dudes like me can think Kamala is amazing despite having so little in common with her.

Mind you, that requires writers who have more skill and subtlety than Dan Slott, so....
yeah i think think the distinction lies in that she is relatable but is not universal. kamala is a character that speaks about specific experiences and intersections of life and is not supposed to be an "everyman" in the way that peter generally is, but that doesnt mean the general reader cant sympathize with her, and that's also kind of the point imo. despite out backgrounds we are all people

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

sammyv posted:

I'm sure a proper Spidey-nerd can set me right, but I have vague memories of his being raised Catholic coming up in a story drawn by either Larsen or Bagley. Possibly during the time it was revealed that he liked Elvis Costello and MJ was heavy into Guns N Roses and Hammer.

You're thinking of Daredevil

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a site that actually has some footwork about superhero's religions and I'm pretty sure Spider-Man was Protestant there. But again unless it's important to a character's story I don't think there should be a definitive answer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

My fav response was the guy saying Peter's an atheist because he does science.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
On this note I very much enjoyed the recent Spider-Man/Kamala body-swap comic that acknowledged the obvious issue of the casual/overt racism/Islamophobia Kamala would obviously endure and how lovely it is without the issue being presented TOO heavily. It also mentioned *gasp* periods without being too weird about it and entirely sidestepped the bathroom issue which I thought on one hand was a missed opportunity for jokes but on the other hand it's an all-ages book and they're obviously doing their gosh-darnedest to not sexualize Kamala.
Also the thing Spider-Man was most excited about being that his joints don't hurt anymore was funny, especially now that I'm slipping into my "gently caress, my neck and lower back hurt for literally no reason" years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

X-O posted:

There's a site that actually has some footwork about superhero's religions and I'm pretty sure Spider-Man was Protestant there. But again unless it's important to a character's story I don't think there should be a definitive answer.

There's a fun gag in a short featuring the Thing where he stops a mugger on a Jewish holiday and one of the cops making the arrest wishes Ben a Happy whichever it was (that's not disrespect I don't remember which holiday it was). The mugger pipes up.

"Wait, you're jewish?"

Ben replies "Yeah is that a problem?"

Mugger replies "No, not at all. You just don't look like you are".