Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I agree with LordSaturn, only stupid people should commit suicide.

poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

What the gently caress is free jazz

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Tiny Lowtax posted:

The spirited sequel to free solo.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The spirited sequel to free solo.

Jazz without ropes or harnesses!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tiny Lowtax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zdLfPN6F-o

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

https://youtu.be/JtvGR8UX1L0

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Real answer, it's often called avant garde or experimental jazz. Miles Davis's Bitches Brew is a good example.

https://youtu.be/Q26k14yBAnM

For this album, he put his band members in separate recording rooms and had them play whatever the gently caress all day and then he cut the album's songs together.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So why is it racist

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So why is it racist

Jazz is mostly associated/came from African American communities and was thought of as immoral and evil by racist whites because of it. So there's that, plus the obvious racism of representing black people with monkeys.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So why is it racist

There's a long history of comparing black people to apes or monkeys, to the point where using one as a stand in for any element of black culture is pretty likely to be interpreted as racist.

That particular meme probably wasn't made with the thought "this orangutan represents a black dude" because it was a pre-existing meme. It's just not a great look.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Jun 7, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Detective No. 27 posted:

Real answer, it's often called avant garde or experimental jazz. Miles Davis's Bitches Brew is a good example.

https://youtu.be/Q26k14yBAnM

For this album, he put his band members in separate recording rooms and had them play whatever the gently caress all day and then he cut the album's songs together.

Most free jazz I’ve heard has been way more noodley skronky random anti-music than Bitches Brew.

But then that’s what my free jazz friends play, one of them just blatantly butchers the sax it’s kind of a nightmare

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

JoelJoel posted:

I burned em to a cd with some family guy clips and probably a bunch of kazaa viruses.

Wait 10 years and loose those viruses on an unprepared world like a zombie pathogen buried in the permafrost

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pancake titties do exist.

There was some thread that mentioned Maggie Gyllenhaal and someone described her breasts as "slop pancakes."

It made me laugh.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Lowtax posted:

comedian and voice actor h jon benjamin made a jazz piano album. he has no idea at all how to play the piano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0s1xLlgHt4

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Jun 7, 2019

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It's jazz that you don't have to pay for.

DUH.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
It’s more about the notes I wish they wouldn’t play.

Jazz is the worst.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

It’s more about the notes I wish they wouldn’t play.

Jazz is the worst.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bertrand Hustle posted:

appropriate, because orangutans will rip your face off, which is the most death metal way to die

No, that's chimpanzees,

Orang-utans are much nicer.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No, that's chimpanzees,

So the ancient SA lore goes, once a zookeeper liked to describe the temperament of the various great apes at his zoo with the humble screwdriver. If a screwdriver was inadvertently dropped into the gorilla paddock by a workman, the animals would be reasonably expected to investigate the tool, and eventually become bored. Were said screwdriver left in the chimpanzee pen overnight, by morning there would be no more live chimpanzees as the screwdriver would be immediately recognized as an implement of murder. However, should the screwdriver be left with the humble, sagely orangutans, by morning there would also be none left. Not because they had killed each other, but because they would use it to build a rocket out of the various toys and structures around them and escape to the moon.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So the ancient SA lore goes, once a zookeeper liked to describe the temperament of the various great apes at his zoo with the humble screwdriver. If a screwdriver was inadvertently dropped into the gorilla paddock by a workman, the animals would be reasonably expected to investigate the tool, and eventually become bored. Were said screwdriver left in the chimpanzee pen overnight, by morning there would be no more live chimpanzees as the screwdriver would be immediately recognized as an implement of murder. However, should the screwdriver be left with the humble, sagely orangutans, by morning there would also be none left. Not because they had killed each other, but because they would use it to build a rocket out of the various toys and structures around them and escape to the moon.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No, that's chimpanzees,

As long as you remember that they are definitely Apes and not the m-word.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait 10 years and loose those viruses on an unprepared world like a zombie pathogen buried in the permafrost

Ugh, ten MORE years?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tiny Lowtax posted:

a miserable little pile of sixteenths

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I visited an orangutan sanctuary and we were warned for 15 minutes about how they will try to kill us if we wrong them in any way, especially the males. People are more likely to get wrecked by chimps because people treat them like pets. But orangutans won't hesitate to gently caress you up if they feel reason to.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

I visited an orangutan sanctuary and we were warned for 15 minutes about how they will try to kill us if we wrong them in any way, especially the males. People are more likely to get wrecked by chimps because people treat them like pets. But orangutans won't hesitate to gently caress you up if they feel reason to.

You just can't help yourself

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Roy Donk is my favorite jazz musician too

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Free jazz was an important musical movement but like most things at the avant garde of postmodernism it will ultimately be remembered at best as naive or superficial, and at worst as empty and self-indulgent.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Beachcomber posted:

As long as you remember that they are definitely Apes and not the m-word.

Just wanted you to know I understood and appreciated that reference.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wow didn't know Wulffmorgenthaler was that old :prepop:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

uhhhh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Aw piss. I loved the original version and didn't even think of the racist implications.

Free jazz is real fun to put on the jukebox at the pool hall.

We did an Orlando goon meet last year where we put in enough money on the jukebox at the pool hall in the Milk District to completely control it for an hour. It was a series of songs like "Bring Me To Life", "Through the Fire and Flames", Weird Al Yankovic, etc.

I finished it off by putting on "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" and running. People were yelling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

What's wrong wi- Oh. :stare:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Someone at work yesterday sent out an email to a few dozen recipients that had the phrase "the bigger problem" in it, only there was a typo.

Nobody said anything

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's like Adidas' new Nite Jogger shoe. Totally innocuous name except when the name is displayed across store fronts or public transit vehicles where doors and windows can shuffle and scrunch up the middle letters like a MAD Magazine fold-in to obscure the "te Jo" part.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nah, free jazz is mostly improvisational. These guys practiced for a year in cult-like conditions to sound like this. Their live shows were, note for note, the same as what they played on the album. It's the most highly scripted complete chaos ever put on tape, which, if anything, makes it even more impressive.

This is actual free jazz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bRTFr0ytA8 Notice how it sounds like someone stuffed a jazz quartet into a clown car and pushed it down the Springfield Gorge.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Regular music has a kind of arch, free jazz is like watching worldstar videos, just random voices screaming WORLDSTAR over and over and the rhythmic pounding of someone's face into concrete.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think free jazz is a prank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OutOfPrint posted:

Nah, free jazz is mostly improvisational. These guys practiced for a year in cult-like conditions to sound like this. Their live shows were, note for note, the same as what they played on the album. It's the most highly scripted complete chaos ever put on tape, which, if anything, makes it even more impressive.

Ok, yeah, I hadn't read about the production before but that's, uh, kind of insane. Beefheart basically locked his band in a house, under the supervision of producer Frank Zappa.