Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
One time I got off the boat by the seaway ladder while we were at the tie up wall, checked the drafts, handed the lock pass to one of the lock guy, then reboarded when we were deck level to the lock wall.

That’s the only time I’ve visited the Soo, and it’s more than enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

rip dr john

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Current event: the St Louis Blues are one win away from taking the Stanley Cup for the first time in franchise history, after being literally the worst team in the NHL on January 2nd.

Also Boston can go gently caress itself.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SimonCat posted:

So, the Italian campaign wasn't nearly as large as the Normandy landings, but it was still a hell of a project. Cutting off the Afrika Corp had to have helped too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9izsVZPDlk

The thing that gets me absolutely furious about the Italian campaign is the Anzio landing and the subsequent breakout. The forces there landed LITERALLY unnoticed, and could have capitalized on the element of surprise massively by seizing the initiative. Instead, the local commander pulled a Foxhole Norman, and decided to dig in and prepare for an imminent counterattack despite being fully aware that they landed UN-loving-NOTICED. Digging in gave the German commander the chance to relocate and train every single loving artillery piece on the Americans to forma containment cauldron that must have been as soul-crushing as Stalingrad sans the cold.
The breakout then ended up being another screwed-up decision because the forces at Anzio went straight north, instead of cutting through the German lines and getting their remaining forces routed, which allowed the German commander to withdraw and wax some more Americans later. Though, at least that decision was on the theater commander iirc, not the dingus in command at Anzio.

I've been hoping for an HBO miniseries around the 442nd RCT ever since I watched Band of Brothers, because they were smack in the middle of the Italian campaign with the Anzio breakout, the Vosges in France with the Lost Battalion, and a whole bunch of other fierce poo poo.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Professor Bling posted:

Current event: the St Louis Blues are one win away from taking the Stanley Cup for the first time in franchise history, after being literally the worst team in the NHL on January 2nd.

Also Boston can go gently caress itself.

Boston's offense dropped the ball for sure, but holy gently caress the refs blew that tripping call.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This poo poo is wild. Didn't parts of Nebraska go without precipitation for a while? Like over a period of years? Aside from random dumps of winter snow that did gently caress all to restore the water plate.

My uncle pushed most of his seed into the ground somehow in April in Illinois. He's had to go back and replant a few patches, but most of the land he works is tiled thoroughly so drainage hasn't been an issue since the 90s on that land.

Goddamn I don't miss the grain farm. Dude sounds like he's eating fistfuls of misery, even with outright owned equipment.

I don't think so. We had a moderately bad drought in 2017 but it wasn't a multi year thing.

But this winter and spring have been crazy wet. We had like a week and a half window at the end of April/start of March where we worked like crazy to get the corn in the ground while it was dry enough and then it started raining again and has been too wet to plant soybeans until a couple days ago. So we've been working 12-13 hour days this week to get it done.

From what I've read most of the Midwest is the same or worse.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

werent they doing a new bob/pacific series about an army air corp unit

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah, last I heard was it was still in preproduction.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

There's a good bomber docu on HBO right now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

At the Air Force Museum for their D-Day commemoration this morning, one of the WW2 veterans in attendance was a B-17 ball turret gunner. When I stood up slowly I couldn't help but think it was because of his enormous brass cojones, because that is one hell of a job to survive.

Also the emcee all but called the wars in the middle East "the forever war"

Randall Jarrell posted:

From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

The Mighty Eighth, about 8th Air Force...basically the European bombers (then the backbone of SAC).

Hasn't gone anywhere since they scouted shooting locations a couple of years ago, unfortunately. I suspect GoT ate up their entire budget.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'd rather we had less human misery myself

Yeah that's what I'm saying

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
*disgust intensifies*

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1136287086552715266?s=21

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The thing that gets me absolutely furious about the Italian campaign is the Anzio landing and the subsequent breakout. The forces there landed LITERALLY unnoticed, and could have capitalized on the element of surprise massively by seizing the initiative. Instead, the local commander pulled a Foxhole Norman, and decided to dig in and prepare for an imminent counterattack despite being fully aware that they landed UN-loving-NOTICED. Digging in gave the German commander the chance to relocate and train every single loving artillery piece on the Americans to forma containment cauldron that must have been as soul-crushing as Stalingrad sans the cold.
The breakout then ended up being another screwed-up decision because the forces at Anzio went straight north, instead of cutting through the German lines and getting their remaining forces routed, which allowed the German commander to withdraw and wax some more Americans later. Though, at least that decision was on the theater commander iirc, not the dingus in command at Anzio.

I've been hoping for an HBO miniseries around the 442nd RCT ever since I watched Band of Brothers, because they were smack in the middle of the Italian campaign with the Anzio breakout, the Vosges in France with the Lost Battalion, and a whole bunch of other fierce poo poo.

A series about the 442nd or the 761st Tank Battalion (Segregated African American unit) would be absolutely killer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'd rather we had less human misery myself

While I would too, averting human misery gonna cut into our profit margins

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Fallom posted:

Wouldn't it all be fukken wild if this climate doomsday stuff happens sooner rather than later

Like the storms and tornadoes and snow in June just become more and more frequent

I think that would be alright

Isn't this literally what's already happening?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

:(

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

FrozenVent posted:

One time I got off the boat by the seaway ladder while we were at the tie up wall, checked the drafts, handed the lock pass to one of the lock guy, then reboarded when we were deck level to the lock wall.

That’s the only time I’ve visited the Soo, and it’s more than enough for me.

i didnt even know the canadian locks were functional, i thought it was just the american ones that were still in use

Edit: some current events

https://twitter.com/techworkersco/s...ingawful.com%2F

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 7, 2019

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

A series about the 442nd or the 761st Tank Battalion (Segregated African American unit) would be absolutely killer.

I recall a doc on the Battle of the Bulge where a white Infantryman relayed the story where a Tank Destroyer crewed by African Americans pulled in close to his fighting position, and he said to them and the guys close to them, "The war must be getting bad if they have niggers doing the fighting." As he was telling the story, he was crying, because he went on, "They never broke. They never ran. They never stopped fighting. I'm still sorry to this day for what I said."
He did say he went on to apologize to the crew that saved his life, and they took out a couple Panzers that were headed towards his position.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Random thought but Trump’s use of the word “beautiful” has led me to hate the word so if I say you’re beautiful I’m probably being condescending.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://greatawakeningcoin.com/

Please do not click the below spoilertext until you check that link. It's really, really worth it, as it's basically a perfect embodiment of the time that we're currently in.

Someone is now selling QAnon challenge coins for $17

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
cryptocurrency is anti-vax but for nerds

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

WaPo has a good long-form report on the guy that shot up that yoga studio in Florida and how the MRA movement is minting terrorists.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/local/yoga-shooting-incel-attack-fueled-by-male-supremacy/?utm_term=.81a3e5fd163b

It's pretty long, so I'm not going to copy it all here. But here's some choice :catstare: pieces:

quote:

Beierle was an avowed hater of women, a man who repeatedly grabbed women in real life and fantasized about raping and killing them in the horrific collection of lyrics, poetry and novels he began writing as a teenager. His interactions with the opposite sex had gotten him fired from teaching jobs, booted from the Army and hauled before the principal of his high school. He traced his fury at women — “Just beneath their blushing lashes and their innocent smiles lies the most rancid and putrid, sickening essences” — to the girls who both aroused and frustrated him in eighth grade.

. . .

In 2018, a few months before Beierle stood in that studio, the Southern Poverty Law Center added a new category to its tracking list of hate movements around the country: male supremacy.

The term encompasses a worrying new array of assaults by men who view women as genetically inferior, inherently treacherous or unwilling to provide them with the sex and submission they see as their birthright.

It’s a trend with roots both ancient and new. Condemning women as a gender dates to at least the ancient Greek myth that blamed Pandora for unleashing evil into the world. But in the digital age, misogyny is being stoked within hundreds of online chat rooms and forums, echo chambers of grievance that drive some men to cyberbullying and a far smaller number to violence.

“What’s different today is the online space itself,” Beirich said. “Back in the day, an ad on how to meet girls in the back of a magazine didn’t open a door into the dark web.”

In a 2018 report, the Anti-Defamation League divided this “manosphere” into three overlapping tribes: “men’s rights activists,” who have channeled legitimate advocacy for equal treatment in divorce and custody disputes into a toxic male rage; “pick-up artists,” who have perverted those back-of-the-magazine schemes into a cult of predatory sexual entitlement; and “incels,” men who blame all women for their own involuntary celibacy.

All three groups espouse a generalized loathing for women and the shifting norms — from female empowerment to gay rights — that they blame for their many miseries. As the online communities swelled in the past five or six years, the rhetoric became more extreme.

. . .

In the late 1990s, when Scott Beierle was in high school in Vestal, N.Y., he wrote a novel. He called it "Rejected Youth," a 70,000-word revenge fantasy of a middle school boy nursing hatred of the girls who had shunned and humiliated him. The protagonist, Scott Bradley, critiques their looks, ridicules their boyfriends and is enraged by their disdain. "The hot ones all detest me, and I haven't a clue why," he laments.

The boy murders them, brutally, one by one, even as he admires their bodies. In the final scene, he cuts the throat of the clique’s ringleader before he throws himself off a roof with the cops closing in.

According to someone who knew Beierle back then and provided a copy of the manuscript, the characters, with names slightly changed, were their real classmates.

“This is basically his school journal,” said the man, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid being associated with the killer.

. . .

After high school, he went out west for a few months, telling friends he was trying to make it as a screenwriter. But he returned to New York, graduating from Binghamton University and burning through local hangouts and odd jobs: banned from a downtown bar for groping women, according to the childhood friend, and fired from a call-center job for harassing a female co-worker.

Beierle wrote of discovering punk rock around this time, reveling in the “utter chaos” of the sound, and used the incident with his co-worker as inspiration for one of his first songs: “Stalker.”

His violent writings were already a concern to his family. One sister-in-law told Tallahassee detectives that Beierle’s parents slept with their bedroom door locked when he was in the house. She and her husband, Beierle’s brother, considered contacting law enforcement in 2002 out of fear that Beierle might be the D.C. sniper, who was then terrorizing the Washington area near where Beierle had moved after college. None of Beierle’s relatives responded to requests for comment.

By 2005, Beierle was living in Maryland and teaching English and social studies at Anne Arundel County’s Meade High School. Toward the end of his first year, he was investigated by police for making a female student uncomfortable by touching her on the arm, suggesting she wear low-cut shirts and asking if she would ever pose in Playboy. The police report indicates the case was suspended, and Beierle continued teaching for another year before resigning.

. . .

In 2008, Beierle enlisted in the Army, completing officers’ school and becoming a second lieutenant. But by 2010 he was out for “unacceptable conduct.” Although he was still given an honorable discharge, Army documents reviewed by Tallahassee police show Beierle was investigated for inappropriate contact with female soldiers.

Beierle documented that episode, as he did many of his ruinous run-ins with women, in his bizarre catalogue of self-recorded music. In the lyrics, and a series of essays he wrote explaining them, he distills his anger at women into vengeance scenarios, including kidnapping and torture (“Locked in My Basement”), cannibalism (“Freshly Fried-up Girl”) and mass shooting (“I Will Not Touch You — My Bullets Will”).

. . .

The misogynists rejoiced when they learned of the attack. Within hours of Beierle's suicide, hate-site habitues had dubbed him "St. Yogacel" and were scrambling to copy and share the online caches of his music and videos that so perfectly reflected their own worldview.

Incels celebrated his targeting of “spandex wearing yoga whores.” Racists hailed his rants against minorities, interracial dating, immigration and Muslims.

“This guy is a hero,” one poster declared. “Women belong in the house, taking care of family. Not going round yoga studios to fine tune their bodies for the pleasure of random strangers.”

But in the real world, something very different was unfolding.

The morning after the shooting, women from yoga classes all over the city rallied, unrolling their mats on a downtown street to show solidarity with the studio and to raise money for displaced staff. The owner of Hot Yoga Tallahassee, who declined to be interviewed, began remodeling the space, adding another exit door and other security measures. Two months later, the studio reopened.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

i didnt even know the canadian locks were functional, i thought it was just the american ones that were still in use

This was at the American locks, I’ve never worked on something that would fit in the Canadian ones.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Apparently it's worse on the US side than the Canadian. I don't personally know except for driving through it briefly after I crossed the border at Sarnia to save 2h of going around lakes

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i want one about a russian platoon that has complete cast turn over multiple times

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/sgtjanedoe/status/1137062500321693698?s=21

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: That's unique.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Experts: The Mars space mission might potentially need to utilize the Moon as a refuelling stop, or at a minimum, working on getting to the Moon again for different kinds of missions could teach us stuff that we need to know in order to make a mission to Mars.

The President of the United States: FOX NEWS JUST AIRED A SEGMENT ON MY TEEVEE SO I NEED TO TWEET THAT THE MOON IS PART OF MARS

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1137057839426486273?s=19

Three weeks ago, he was pushing NASA to go to the moon. He really, really was just watching Fox News and decided to shitpost.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

psydude posted:

WaPo has a good long-form report on the guy that shot up that yoga studio in Florida and how the MRA movement is minting terrorists.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/local/yoga-shooting-incel-attack-fueled-by-male-supremacy/?utm_term=.81a3e5fd163b

It's pretty long, so I'm not going to copy it all here. But here's some choice :catstare: pieces:

This entire loving article is scary. This kind of stuff always puts me on edge because my fiancée is an Asian woman, and she’s had weird run-ins with creepy weeaboos in the past. There was one guy who used to hang out at the Metro stop she used to get off at for her old job who would make a point of approaching her and any other Asian females and awkwardly try to trap them in conversations. She’s a street smart and savvy woman who knows how to tactfully end unwanted encounters, so the fact that she brought it up to me as something she didn’t like set off some big alarms. I asked her if she wanted me to go have a talk with this guy to get him to leave her alone, but frankly, I was ready to kick the absolute poo poo out of him if he said anything but yes. As it were, he disappeared from that Metro stop a few days later, and she got another job served by a different train line, so it ceased to be an issue.

Reading about creeps like this makes me wonder if the best way to deal with MRAs/PUAs/incels is to open fire before they do.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Reading about creeps like this makes me wonder if the best way to deal with MRAs/PUAs/incels is to open fire before they do.

Change the law so when someone like me hacks and takes out their internet services, I don't get arrested. Stopping the feedback cycle and formation of a support base is easily the best way.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hexyflexy posted:

Change the law so when someone like me hacks and takes out their internet services, I don't get arrested. Stopping the feedback cycle and formation of a support base is easily the best way.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Bikers: man FTP, why are cops always targeting us? Why are cagers such jerks on the road?

Also bikers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRrgN5pyDXQ

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
Oi, I’d have you know I was one hell of a reverse engineer before I decided to do something that made actual money! I did look a bit like that though, just blacker.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The SES they appointed/hired to return to the moon by 2024 also quit like six weeks into the job. Chances are the dude probably asked every engineer in the industry and it took that long for them to stop laughing and tell him the real answer of how much it was going to cost or take.

Honestly I'm not 100% sure with infinite money we could get back to the moon by 2024. Probably? Maybe?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Bikers: man FTP, why are cops always targeting us? Why are cagers such jerks on the road?

Also bikers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRrgN5pyDXQ

Motorcycles attract the dumbest of humanity. Fortunately Darwin sorts out a lot of them before too long.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hexyflexy posted:

Oi, I’d have you know I was one hell of a reverse engineer before I decided to do something that made actual money! I did look a bit like that though, just blacker.

I read 2600 at the bookstore as a teenager too.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

stuff like this might be able to sink trumps numbers

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1137047969507815424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

stuff like this might be able to sink trumps numbers

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1137047969507815424
:kav:? :suicide: