Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's been a bunch of updates since last time.

Those are the teeth of the guy that blew up, and that ended up embedded in Lemmy's brow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Unsounded: poo poo storm's a comin', lemon!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Man, seriously, gently caress Alderode.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aint nothing to a sharte storm

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Man, seriously, gently caress Alderode.

this seems like less of an alderode problem and more of a "child soldier cracking up due to the hazards of war" problem

every nation in kasslyne seems happy with shoving preteens into warfare

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

this seems like less of an alderode problem and more of a "child soldier cracking up due to the hazards of war" problem

every nation in kasslyne seems happy with shoving preteens into warfare

Does Cresce have child soldiers? I honestly don't recall them.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

Does Cresce have child soldiers? I honestly don't recall them.

they eat kids for good luck, you really think they'd have problem with using them for civil defense in a pinch?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

they eat kids for good luck, you really think they'd have problem with using them for civil defense in a pinch?

Yeah, actually. I mean, not in a desperate last stand, but as regular policy. Religion has a lot of rites that in other lights would seem unacceptable- see the miracle of transubstantiation making the host the actual blood and body of Christ in Catholicism.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 7, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Lemuel and Will enlisted pretty young, but plat child soldiers are a special case due in large part to plat lifespan. Cresce doesn't really have the equivalent, there (as far as we know :ohdear:) isn't some Evangelion nonsense going on where only kids can pilot their pymaric robots.

Gefendur twin sacrifice is kinda hosed up, but it's pretty much the opposite of considering children expendable in combat.

if anything I'd expect them to make a point of having a higher enlistment age so they can propagandize about the Aldish monsters

edit: also note that General Bell engages in weird out-of-date ritual token cannibalism of his dead soldiers where possible, because he's a devout Gefendur and also a crazy person

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
we've only seen limited amounts of Cresce's actual army deployment though, maybe I missed some actual evidence

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Lemuel and Will enlisted pretty young, but plat child soldiers are a special case due in large part to plat lifespan.

Wasn't Lem like 12 when he signed up? IIRC he's only 16 in the flashback and has been already in the army for a while.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Wasn't Lem like 12 when he signed up? IIRC he's only 16 in the flashback and has been already in the army for a while.

Sorry, I was unclear - aren't plat soldiers conscripted or semi-conscripted, as opposed to Lemuel voluntarily enlisting because he's dumb and thinks it's glorious, or Will enlisting as support staff because his father's an rear end in a top hat?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Since they're children you can't really say they're signing up of their volition the same way you can say for, say, one of the Jets. Based on what we've seen I wouldn't go beyond 'semi-conscripted', though.

I think Aldish law is formally caste-neutral in a way that still advantages the longer-lived castes (in addition to the de facto inequities in the society). Plats serve the army just like everyone else, it's just that they tend to be kids when they do so, since an actual adult like Quigley is already quite close to rapid aging.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the damakhert set up the way it is to basically entrench the caste system? Also, seems like accepting pre-teens for combat infantry roles even if they're not plats is really loving gross.

I mean, say what you will about Cresce, but at least their genocidal imperialism isn't as eugenicist.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the damakhert set up the way it is to basically entrench the caste system? Also, seems like accepting pre-teens for combat infantry roles even if they're not plats is really loving gross.

I mean, say what you will about Cresce, but at least their genocidal imperialism isn't as eugenicist.

The damakhert was the work of the old aldish monarchy though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

reignonyourparade posted:

The damakhert was the work of the old aldish monarchy though.

I'm not sure we've actually heard how or why it was set up even from WoG, and I don't remember if she's even said when it was set up. Seems like that might be one of the mysteries of the comic, although it's within recorded history - the Souds are the descendants of the original inhabitants of Alderode, after all.

But yeah, the dammakhert was created at some point and firmly establishes the caste system.

the actual bottom of the caste system are bronzes and souds - plats are nominally appreciated for their supermagic, shame their organs fail around the age of thirty and they're entirely incapable of amassing any political power

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The souds are just the descendants of the original inhabitants of a particular part of Alderode, not Alderode in general.

"This rivalry [between jets and coppers] has been used to great dramatic and thematic effect in Aldish culture, and is the subject of plays and operas and paintings. Red and black when used together in Aldish culture denote conflict, and it has long been the colour of Alderode's millitary uniforms and, more recently, the emblem of Vits Council itself." from the wiki at least Strongly Suggests that culture references to the caste system were already deeply embedded in the culture by the time the revolution happened.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

reignonyourparade posted:

The souds are just the descendants of the original inhabitants of a particular part of Alderode, not Alderode in general.

"This rivalry [between jets and coppers] has been used to great dramatic and thematic effect in Aldish culture, and is the subject of plays and operas and paintings. Red and black when used together in Aldish culture denote conflict, and it has long been the colour of Alderode's millitary uniforms and, more recently, the emblem of Vits Council itself." from the wiki at least Strongly Suggests that culture references to the caste system were already deeply embedded in the culture by the time the revolution happened.

I'm saying that if anything the caste system might be older than the monarchy (since again, I can't remember what tidbits we've learned from Ash outside the comic about the timeline).

Also, Until the last cruel word is spoken, I'll walk this world for you. (two pages, linked to the first one)

ssaelit poetry :3:

Jon, your thing is thinging.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 7, 2019

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm saying that if anything the caste system might be older than the monarchy (since again, I can't remember what tidbits we've learned from Ash outside the comic about the timeline).

Also, Until the last cruel word is spoken, I'll walk this world for you. (two pages, linked to the first one)

ssaelit poetry :3:

Jon, your thing is thinging.

The castes might be, but I doubt the Dammakhert (and thus the magical effects of caste) is because I'm pretty sure a lot of the Aldish knowledge of Pymary came from conquering the Tains, which happened under the monarchy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

so, i had a theory the other day about what they're up to in Litriya Shrine

it relies a little bit on WoG about waterwomen, but the data in question is a reasonable inference based on what we know in-comic about

- senet beasts
- first materials
- rivers

Water that is inside a waterwoman is First Water. Water that has exited a waterwoman is no longer First Water.

If you can harvest and sustain First Water from inside a living waterwoman (or waterbaby), you done got yourself a renewable source of First Material. It's a lovely, low-value First Material, true, but it's available in infinite supply as long as you keep sapient senet beasts imprisoned so you can pump water through them.

Definitely not world-shattering, but also definitely worth committing horrific atrocities research funds and a secure facility.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

also i skimmed some things and the First King of Alderode was, allegedly, a Copper

there are several possible explanations for this, but at least two of them do involve "the Dammakhert existed before the monarchy"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess if it was a simple thing to create something like that in the khert, every nation and people would have some kind of horrifying mutation in the name of the social order.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess if it was a simple thing to create something like that in the khert, every nation and people would have some kind of horrifying mutation in the name of the social order.

Everyone in Cresce except the ruling class is exactly equal. :getin:

This revelation/reminder does imply that Ssael isn't responsible for the Dammakhert, though, and by extension that it isn't the Great Mistake that Ilganyag laments in one of the most important panels of the story thus far.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This revelation/reminder does imply that Ssael isn't responsible for the Dammakhert, though, and by extension that it isn't the Great Mistake that Ilganyag laments in one of the most important panels of the story thus far.

Which panel was that, sorry can't remember.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Which panel was that, sorry can't remember.

Aha, found it.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_118.html

Ilganyag and Ssael did something that she apparently seeks to correct. And this is the only page where we get to hear Ilganyag properly musing to herself over whatever crazy bullshit she's plotting, rather than talking to Duane or Bastion even conscious-Murkoph to get them on board with her agenda.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 10, 2019

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Cool, thanks. Honestly this is another comic where I feel like there's just too much going on and I need to do a full re-read to catch up on stuff.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

Anonymous asked: You very regularly have some really expressive poses, and use interesting angles. Do you use any reference for character posing, or are you at the stage there you are good enough to just wing all of it? Also, even if it is the latter, any resource you would recommend?

quote:

Allow me to introduce you to my staff. Everyone! Line up! Wave hi!

The disembodied leg is from an old Guts figma. It fell off one day, I could never get it back on, and now I use it for weird shoe angles.

With as quickly as one really needs to produce comic panels, I just find using reference figures like this to be the quickest. Opening up a 3D program, loading the model, posing it, adjusting the camera… eeenh. I can reach for one of these guys from that white basket in the background, and I’m good to go for tricky foreshortening or a weird camera angle in two seconds.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Oh, Duane is definitely making a really, really bad decision right now. Also, he's definitely ending up in those tunnels.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch14/ch14_54.html
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch14/ch14_55.html

Jon is such a wet blanket. I bet he's the one who bites it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

What are the odds that Duane gets one of his kids heads popped? 50/50?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wouldn't be Unsounded without some angst and probably a dead kid or two.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

What are the odds that Duane gets one of his kids heads popped? 50/50?

fairly high, depending on what the question Duane failed to ask is

are there non mages waiting to attack? lack of preparedness gets more of Lemuel's buddies iced

is there a pymaric bomb waiting to overload mages? Spellmaster Adelier loses lads

now, we're about halfway ish through a chapter, so it's about time for things to go extremely well and have no complications that lead to angry Aldish soldiers and wizards storming the caverns

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 15, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone pointed out in the comments that Mogul's number went from 73 to 85 in the time it took to kill one of the enemy mages. There are three left, suggesting that the math is not in his favor, plus even if they don't hit 100 before killing them all, it'll be high by the time the enemy attacks and probably put them at risk of reaching 100 trying to fight back. Duane's actions here may be impressive, but as a plan it seems doomed even if it works

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dangit, child soldiers.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Last time I read Unsounded they were mopping up the silver horror show aftermath. That was a good binge. Time for another pause I guess. Does the author have finish line in mind?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I believe she does.

Also, man, gently caress this world.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

If I remember correctly, the "finish line" is three "books" long. Conceptual books, not physical books.

I think the comic is roughly 3/4 of the way through book one from what the author has said, but the chapters keep getting longer.

Judging by copyright dates from the bottom of the first comic, it has been running for almost a decade. That sounds like it could be right from how long I have been reading, but maybe minus a year or two? Even the first post of this thread is six and a half years old.

So if the pace is kept we are looking at a 30ish or so year project for the "finish line" maybe? I definitely remember some "if I finish this story before I die" posts from Ashley.

I expect at least the first "book" to get finished considering the authors dedication to the comic, but even that is probably a couple of years out.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Also child death count at least one :(

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

We don't know that, maybe Duane only zapped the conductor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
I'd imagine every plat squad has an adult heading it up, much like Duane and Jon do this one. So while Duane killed one caster down there, it's not a guarantee he killed a child (and I suspect the story will go out of its way to show that to the reader at some point, even if Duane himself never finds out.) Cope goes for some big asks from her audience but revealing her main character to be a child murderer is probably too far even for her.