Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

And there it is, the single most unrealistic moment in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gyrados are much cuter than Psyduck

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
Why on earth is mud sport of all things a "cute" move?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Crosspeice posted:

For the category entered, Cool, Cute, Beauty, Tough, Smart, it MUST know 4 moves all from that category, as well as at LEAST ONE combination. Here's the list to choose from, there's PLENTY!

Weirdly, combos seem like they might not be a thing in this generation. The page you've linked to only shows combos for Contests (RSE) and Contest Spectaculars (ORAS), none for Super Contests. I don't think this was always the case; I seem to remember a prior version of that page (or maybe it was a different page there?) listing combos for these, but there weren't very many of them, and the talk page suggests they may have removed the section.

I've been googling around a bit trying to figure out what's going on, and I can't find very much. There are some moves that are similar to what combos used to do (e.g. Calm Mind doubles the next move's effect), but that's all I'm finding.

Honestly, from a game design perspective, removing combos is probably a good thing. They were totally busted in gen 3 (Goofy says hi!) and not having them means you can be more strategic in how you put movesets together, and allows you to make decisions on the fly and react to what your opponents do.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Jolene posted:

Why on earth is mud sport of all things a "cute" move?

Puppies splashing in a mud puddle are cute (provided you don't have to wash them afterwards). Just assume the same logic applies when it's a Golem and you're set.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My eyes start glazing over with all the Contest stuff, honestly. I ignored it when I played Platinum.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Very good stuff, like with Gen 3, everything I know about contests and stuff related to it is things I knew off hand years ago and what I'm learning about 5 minutes before I play. So always nice having someone sourcing my quotes. The main problem I'm finding with Bulbapedia is it's much less active than it used to, a lot of it hasn't been updated in years and most other sites are equally unhelpful. Serebii, for instance, hasn't updated these kinds of pages since the Japanese release, it's very frustrating.

I also definitely remember doing combos in Gen 4 contests, as well as that page detailing them in the past, but it really seems like they were scaled back and no one's really bothered to find them. So, oh well, I'll drop the necessary combo requirement, but all moves should still be the same category.

rannum posted:

how could you forget to show off the line where a Blackbelt laments that his Gyarados isn't considered cute enough for the amity square?!

Well you just gotta play it yourself to discover all these wonderful things I either cba to show off, or forget about!

Commander Keene posted:

My eyes start glazing over with all the Contest stuff, honestly. I ignored it when I played Platinum.

Same. Oh well, gotta do it anyway!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The Wayback Machine comes through! Here we go. Looks like they removed them sometime this year, the section was still there in January. :psyduck:

There are only 6 combos listed there, so yeah, at best it was definitely very incomplete. I'll actually just list them off here, there are few enough.

Charge, Thunder Fang
Defence Curl, Rollout
Focus Energy, Night Slash
Growth, Magical Leaf
Meditate, Hi Jump Kick
Psych Up, Hydro Pump

I'm not seeing a real pattern, except that most of these are a stat up move into a move that cares about the stat it would increase (and, of course, the inevitable Defence Curl into Rollout because that's always a thing). It seems obvious to me that if there is a combo mechanic in this game, it wouldn't be limited to just these six (if they were all like Defence Curl and Rollout I'd be more inclined to believe that, but the rest of these seem odd choices if they were the only ones).

So I'm a bit confused, but it sounds like this LP is a great opportunity for experimentation! We have a mystery on our hands. I'll try to come up with a moveset that'll be interesting to test and suggest that.

Edit: Okay, I've got a simple enough idea to test.
Let's go with a Gastrodon, with the moveset Stockpile, Spit Up, Rain Dance, Waterfall for Tough contests. I'd like to find out if Stockpile into Spit Up works as a combo (since those moves are meant to work together, I figure it's more likely), and the same for Rain Dance into Waterfall. I looked at Swallow too but Spit Up looks like the better move to me. Call it GuineaPig?

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 3, 2019

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

rannum posted:

When will Glaceon get the justice it deserves?
Platinum: Gym 7
HGSS: Not available at all (neither is Leafeon)
BW2: Post-game (Leafeon too)
XY: Gym 7
SM: victory road
USUM: It's still victory road but I am pointing it out because they added another magnetic area for Vikavolt/Probopass/Magnezone and extended the mountain area for Crabominable but did not do this

It's also only available in ORAS after the climax but that also applies to eevee as a whole so we'll give that a pass.

It's true. I've only been able to get access to Glaceon early in hacks or thanks to lucky Wondertrade. Which really sucks because Glaceon is actually a really cool pokemon and one of my favorites from the Eevelution line. I wish we got more early access to it and to other Ice types because they tend to be underutilized because they're accessed so late in the game after you've probably finished setting up with a final team.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016

Crosspeice posted:

The Pokemon MUST be from Gen 4 and eligible to use in Contests, doesn't matter if we've seen it or not, just throw it in! This includes various forms, so go crazy!

Doesn't matter, you say...? Unless I'm wrong, there isn't actually a banlist besides things that don't get four moves, so...

Darkrai (Mr. Fluffy), Cute
Genderless, Shiny
Snore
Rest
Frustration
Last Resort

Toyotasomi no Miko fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 3, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Gastrodon (Meteka) for Cute, because Gastrodon is the cutest pokemon :colbert:
Shiny: Nah

Mud Sport
Water Sport
Yawn
Rest

Mud Sport -> Water Sport for points and to secure first place, then yawn -> rest to startle everyone else and protect your points.

also, to help people plan movesets: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Contest_combination

Leraika fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 3, 2019

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Popping in to say I just got finished binge reading the Colosseum + XD combo LP over the course of a few days for a big nostalgia kick, then stumbled on this. Definitely gonna catch up on it tomorrow, psyched we're running with Best Turtle (shame about the nature though).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Contests are wack.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Contests are about using weird mons you can't get away with in the maingame and spending way too much time on move listing pages trying to metagame the ideal sets, right?

Wormadam-Sandy (Pizza), Smart
Female, non-shiny
Confusion
Shadow Ball
Rock Tomb
Earth Power

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Out of respect for the poor Blackbelt I made a moveset that might work for a cute Gyarados:
Gyarados (Giggles), cute
Either, but not shiny
Swagger
Rest
Sleep Talk
Flail

... but it doesn't fit your requirement for gen 4. :<

I'll try to think of one for my actual favorite GenIV pokemon (Drifloon), but I'd love to see either Gastrodon in action.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

rannum posted:

When will Glaceon get the justice it deserves?
Platinum: Gym 7
HGSS: Not available at all (neither is Leafeon)
BW2: Post-game (Leafeon too)
XY: Gym 7
SM: victory road
USUM: It's still victory road but I am pointing it out because they added another magnetic area for Vikavolt/Probopass/Magnezone and extended the mountain area for Crabominable but did not do this

It's also only available in ORAS after the climax but that also applies to eevee as a whole so we'll give that a pass.

It gets the justice it's deseves: being so late that noone gets tricked into using it over Vaporeon cause why bother.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Contests are wack.

Submissions!

Cool:
Cute: Gastrodon by Leraika, Darkrai by Toyotasomi no Miko
Beauty: Abomasnow by Buried Treasure
Tough: Gastrodon by Explopyro
Smart: Wormadam-S by Zyxyz

Got like a day or whatever to still submit and vote for anything you don't want me to flip a coin on!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Cool:
Togekiss (Weiss)
Sky Attack
Extremespeed
Air Slash
Roost

I like Togekiss, but also to show off an interesting thing about Togekiss in contests. I think this set of moves is pretty functional though the use of extremespeed or air slash might depend on the results of using sky attack or roost.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 3, 2019

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And that'll wrap it up or whatever, everyone seemed definitely jazzed to submit for this, so you guys are gonna love doing the same again next gen!

In the interest of variety, I'll use the Darkrai for Cute, since it was submitted before the second Gastrodon. And so we don't have two Gastrodon, even though it has two forms! Though since the form was never specified at any point, it'll be Weast.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I was one of the few people who really liked Contests back in Gen 3. Gen 4 stripped down the part I actually cared about, and then tacked on a poorly designed DeviantArt minigame, and followed it with 3 minutes of touch screen DDR that felt like 3 hours. Contests definitely needed more work, but this really wasnt it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I was one of the few people who really liked Contests back in Gen 3. Gen 4 stripped down the part I actually cared about, and then tacked on a poorly designed DeviantArt minigame, and followed it with 3 minutes of touch screen DDR that felt like 3 hours. Contests definitely needed more work, but this really wasnt it.

And then

Musicals

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

As another person known to like gen 3's contests, I agree this game's version seems worse (although some of the features aren't terrible, I don't completely hate the "pick a judge" mechanic even though it tends to make things more luck-based in the end). Of course, every time they've brought them back they've made them less interesting, IMO; the Hoenn remakes didn't manage to improve them either. I don't think anyone really knew what they wanted them to be, gameplay-wise, and I'm not surprised they eventually stopped trying.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I can't wait until Cross gets to gen V and explains musicals because to this day I still have no loving clue how they work.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Same.

Like there's theming and all that garbage like in Contests here, but so long as you use a bipedal Pokemon and time your flourishes right, you'll win most of the time. It's just a mindless grind to get all the Props.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I already talked about music I like but I forgot about Route 209, another excellent track. Route 212 shares the same music, and it still reminds me of my first time playing this game.

Also Gen 4 contests are disappointing. Basically, what Arcade Rabbit said.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 11: Right Angle

Route 209 Day

With all the various distractions out of the way, as is the norm, it is time to head on to the next town!

I didn't catch everything on this route, but that's mainly because we can't really catch them here. You can in Diamond and we can catch Sudowoodo later, but it's easier getting it here.

Same for Pearl and Mime Jr., since we can get Mr. Mime later. It also broke out of a Nest Ball and its x2.4 boost, which is illegal.

Oh yeah, here's a Jogger, they only fight you in the morning, so between 6am and 12pm, which is the opposite to how I usually operate, but I can change the time whenever, so whatever.

Nothing beats being fit and healthy! Come on, won't you run with me? To a better tomorrow!

I should really go to an irl gym...

Oh yeah, these weird vents supply air to the Underground. They don't need to be there, but it's neat they are.

Again, I get beaten up enough by my little sister and her friends without the same happening in game.

Emma: That was awesome! Are you maybe a Pokemon genius? You're well deserving of respect!

Lil: We're going to be super-strong Trainers like you! I just decided now! Please cheer for us!

What a weirdly large Pikachu staring off into the distance.

Gawd dang it, Bill, stop with your weird Pokefusions! I'm sure they'll be a mechanic one day.

Cool

Crap... did I leave the oven on? Worry Seed changes your ability to Insomnia, which isn't a bad ability in itself.

Ugh, honey tree, ugh, joggers.

Rock Tomb...

Pretty standard route so far, it'd be a shame if there was anything weird about it.

The stone tower has been restored! "Hallowed Tower" is written on it. It's the Hallowed Tower. It appears to have been built many years ago.

Hmm, well we'll go over this soon enough, but things aren't spooky enough yet.

I won't fall into that trap up there!

Have some XTREME skills instead.

While working the ranch, I get to raise my Pokemon, too. I'd say it's the best of both worlds!

Everyone's always so mean to Skulletor...

Ty: Sue, even in defeat, you're so beautiful...!

Sue: We lost... Ty, I need a hug to make it all better!

loving kill me now.

Neat. Well since it's right here and we're still raring to go, let's head in!

Lost Tower

Yup. Respectful.

Ah, the Bug/Flying Pokemon, turns out they don't like rocks. So a male Burmy, no matter the cloak, will evolve into Mothim and... it's alright. Bug Bite is gonna carry you a lot here, since you'll be contending with Hidden Power, Gust and then Confusion as your rounded out moveset otherwise. It does get good moves later, like Air Slash and Bug Buzz, so focusing on the special side seems like the best idea, as while you can learn a fair few TMs, most of them are special, aside from U-turn. It's slow, it's frail, it's a mixed attacker, that doesn't seem like the best combination, but, well, here it is. Perfectly fine.

Whoops, can't translate that in a Christian LP!

I had to come to the Lost Tower on a dare... I have to go to the top and use Defog there...

Oh hey, we can have Happiny hold that stone and evolve it. Ignore the fact we already have Chansey. But still, Defog? We didn't need to use that on the top floor in DP...

gently caress

So deep fog. It does-

...uh, well, that. Fog loving sucks as a "weather" condition, since you can only remove it with Defog. We saw it a bit in Gen 3, but here in Sinnoh it actually does something. Thankfully, it was never used again, because it loving sucks.

I can't be wallowing around forever. I gotta move on and turn the page.

Fog obscures the view somewhat, but you can get rid of it otherwise. But we don't have Defog yet and in DP, not only was fog not in this location at all, but the HM was found randomly in a later area. The HM placement in these games, across all three, is definitely a sticking point.

Huh, didn't know Pichu could cackle. Nasty Plot raises SpAtk by 2 stages and is very good.

The fog at least screws both sides over and obscures the Attract the Pikachu is using. But it's not its turn yet, that's weird. Fog modifies the accuracy of all attacks by 3/5ths of their original value, making moves like Earthquake as accurate as HYPNOSIS, though moves like Swift are unaffected.

The desire to do battle lingers on... do such spirits of Pokemon still roam within these walls?

Is the fog playing tricks on me? What the heck are these Pokemon doing???

The fog doesn't make people depressed, or only grouchy at most, but it does have some weird effects, Weather Ball is doubled in power, but stays as a Normal move, and Castform remains as is. Solarbeam's power is halved to 60, making it completely worthless, and Moonlight, Synthesis and Morning Sun only recover 25% max HP. Oh yeah, and Sweet Scent/Honey no longer works. And that's about all Fog does. It's like dark caves, but seeps into battle as well and makes most things poo poo.

Complete... annihilation...

Bob: Over a long life, you'll be certain to have some sad farewells. But I reckon there are also some new beginnings.

Beth: Them graves here in Lost Tower... right'n here, inside my heart... those are the places where my Pokemon remain...

Oh yeah another one. This is when you would originally get it in DP and there's definitely a Pokemon that can use it. Now I can pretend I never used it!

I'll give you both a mega swirlie, nerds.

Let's see now, in fog, Rock Tomb now has... carry the 1, subtract to the nth power... 48%! You might forget why I rag on this move so much, but since its introduction, it's one of the best coverage moves a lot of physical attackers get for a good chunk of the game, until they get Rock Slide, either a lategame TM or a lategame tutor. It sucks rear end.

Mike: Coming here again brings back all kinds of memories of me and Nat.

Nat: The Pokemon that brought me and Mike together is buried here...

Man, if ONLY we had Defog. Oh well, let's head into the next town, or whatever, like that'll be where we can find it.

Solaceon Town Day / Night

I got something cool. I'll show you as a special favor! Huh? What the... what's this all about? ...I got some Seals, but I forgot to put them on. Oh, right. It's because I was at the ruins. The ruins here are cool. You have to check it out. I even found a Hidden Machine. It was Defog! Anyway, I'll battle you another time. See ya!

Solaceon Town: Free of Worry!
From solace and eon, so eternal comfort.
Zui Town: A town of carefree living.
From 随 zui (carefree)

Ah, Dusk Balls. I'm never gonna play during the day again.

This here's a Poketch app called Pokemon History. Use it to see your history of Pokemon catches.

You have your history, and each Pokemon has its own history. When the two collide, new drama is born.

Cool.

You saw the notice outside about us hiring, right? Is that a Pokedex there? Then you must know Professor Rowan! You're just the Pokemon-searching expert we've been looking for!

You must bring it today, or we're not gonna be able to run our main article. I'll pay you with a Heart Scale and some Pokeballs for it.

Well, we're not gonna do this request, but it's absolutely worth doing. Any Pokemon we've seen can be selected and if you bring it to him within that day, you'll get 1 Heart Scale and 3 of any Pokeball that's not Master, Cherish or Safari. This is the only way to get Dive Balls, so it can be worth your time. And any way of not endlessly mugging Luvdisc is good for me.

We look after the precious Pokemon of other Trainers. If you'd like us to raise your Pokemon, please have a word with my wife.

We'll use the Day Care in just a moment. We have the perfect Pokemon to leave behind after all!

The top left house has nothing for us and so we shall never visit it. Mwahahahaha!

Ohhhhhhh, that's what all those Pokemon were doing. Seals are pretty cool entry animations for your Pokemon, but the main problem is a lot of them are locked until the end of the game, for whatever stupid reason. There are a few we can get now, and you guys will be deciding what we use later, but for now, it's a pretty mediocre mechanic.

I think they're really neat. I'm too small to catch them, though. Instead, I play with Seals to try reading those weird letters. If you can give me Pokemon that look like letters, I'll give you some Seals.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

Solaceon Ruins

Gesundheit. So what are we expecting to find around here?

Hidden evolution items, correct. These weren't here in DP, but only Pikachu used the Gen 1 stones anyway, with Eevee now being the only new inclusion.

It's just that I seem to be lost, what with everything looking the same. Now what? I could use some help here.

Yeah these guys are back, great. I was able to thankfully skip over them in FRLG, but since they're slightly less miserable to catch in these games, I guess I'll do it. As for the mon itself, since Hidden Power is special no matter the type, Unown only use their Attack stat for confusion damage and Struggle damage. Still completely worthless.

The significance of the ancient ruins... only Pokemon that look like letters of some strange language... can they be trying to convey a message to us?

Alright, you can see how the rest of the ruins go. Just follow the instructions.

On each of the large floors there's a single Unown letter to be found.

If you don't get one from the Underground, you can evolve your Pikachu in DP just before Gym EIGHT otherwise! Seems legit.

Frien? What Pokemon is that?

Ah. Hmm, hmm, oh yeah, yeah. I know some of these words.

Here's what we really came for. Since Defog was obtained elsewhere, this was just a Rare Candy in DP, and I'd maybe prefer that to saddling someone with this garbage move.

Remember incense? It's back, in item bloat form! Giving this to a Chimecho lets you get Chingling eggs. They try to act like this is why you couldn't do this before, but we remember Ancientpower Piloswine in Gen 2.

Anything else down here?

Cool. There are other Unown we can get, but just because I'm catching them all doesn't mean I'm catching them now.

Can you loan it to me real quick? I'll make it worth your while. OK, so I teach my STARAVIA the hidden move Defog like so... and done! Thanks! You're my rescuer! Hahaha! Here you go, my thanks as promised!

I'll get to climbing the Lost Tower now that I've got it.

Alright, these fucks get a box to themselves cause there's 28 of them!!! If you show one to that boy, you'll get the corresponding letter seal. Now do that 27 more times. Sounds fun, right? Well, back to the tower, first.

Of course Togetic gets Defog, it's the main reason I wanted it to evolve so quickly. In battle, it'll clear any fog that followed you there, but it also never misses and lowers the target's evasion by one stage. It'll also clear screens, entry hazards, Safeguard and Mist from their side of the field. So it can be useful, but not when Stealth Rock is everywhere!

The Lost Tower is where the spirits of departed Pokemon are put to rest. Those that enjoyed long lives... those whose time were short... all the departed Pokemon shall find solace here...

But she has a compassionate heart. You know, she's a regular visitor.

Well that wasn't really worth it, but oh well. In DP, you instead got Strength, which, while a nice move, was pretty useless since this is still before Gym 3 and you couldn't use it until after Gym SIX! We'll get it later, in a much more sensible place, but it's always nice to have.

Alright, we're spooked out, so let's go over this dumb thing. When you insert an Odd Keystone, you then have to talk to people Underground to reconstruct the tower. Now this is just different people in a single session, so you can re-enter the Underground and talk to the same person over and over again with your second DS and copy of DP if you don't fancy socialising. As you do so, the tower will change:

"Its stones appear to have shifted..." after talking to 8 people.
"...is that crying coming from inside the tower?" after 15.
"Is the tower shaking ever so slightly?" after 22.
"There is some sort of presence... it appears ready to emerge!" after 29.
And then at 32 on?

It's a Ghost! After totally talking to 32 different people, we encountered this weird thing from the tower. You can do this as many times as you obtain Odd Keystones, which are very rare Underground items. Anyway, as you'd expect from those stats and NO WEAKNESS, Spiritomb is pretty dang great. While Ominous Wind ain't too fancy PP wise, Faint Attack will last you until you get Shadow Ball. Sucker Punch is a fun tech and Nasty Plot just makes investing in special moves all the easier, though you'll have to do with Shock Wave, Psychic and Dark Pulse, which is perfectly sustainable. With its high defenses, you should be fine to take all day taking down the opponent, even using Curse! Though it doesn't offer many resistances, your three immunities should make life pretty easy.

See, pretty easy, least you can breed it to make life easier for everyone else.

So, Seals, you can (eventually) get a fair few and decorate your balls.

Just put up to 10 onto the ball and click the bottom left button to preview it until you're happy enough. Though since the view is of someone else seeing it, it'll probably work better on your side shifted to the right somewhat.

Easy enough, with the limited selection, we'll only give it to Etrian right now, but when our inventory is expanded, our full team will be equipped with them. The only problem is having to remove the capsules before putting a mon back into the PC and then putting it back on when you take them out, but that's just general admin stuff you don't need to know about. I suffer through much to bring you such great art!

But now, before we head on to new areas and adventures, we must say goodbye.

Yes, Togetic can't stay in the back of our party forever, it's much easier having him gain exp as we're walking around. When we come by this place later on, then he'll be ready to join our team. But for now, gently caress off. And a Chansey because I can show something later, yay!

It's the latest Poketch app from the Poketch Company. What's more, they developed it in collaboration with the Day Care. Since you're a fellow fan of the Day Care, I'm compelled to share this!

With that Day-Care Checker, you can check on the Pokemon that you've left with the Day-Care Couple. But I haven't been able to leave my Pokemon... so here I stay...

Useful if you're elsewhere and not going up and down the straight to hatch eggs, since it tells you what level your mons are at and if they have an egg! You can tap it at any time to refresh it, helpful if you're specifically biking around to level something.

Route 210 Day / Night

We'll be back in sleepy Solaceon soon enough, those Unown won't catch themselves after all, but we can explore a little more.

FINDER. I'm not sure what else they would've spelt.

Thankfully there's not many Joggers left to force me into early morning.

Roost, very important move, recovers 50% health and removes the Flying typing for a turn. If a pure Flying type used it, which seems unlikely, then it would turn into the ??? type for a turn, having no weaknesses or resistances.

When I cuddle with my Pokemon, I can feel not just their bodies' warmth, but their compassion.

You'll find all sorts in the grass. If you don't fancy evolving, then Scyther will do you just great with its high Atk and Spd. With Technician, Wing Attack is pretty potent, though Bug Bite is a HGSS tutor, so you use X-Scissor instead. The recent Roost also makes it more dependable and you can even relearn Quick Attack later. A Metal Coat is just before Gym 6, so you're fine to use it if you want. In DP, the Metal Coat was postgame, but Onix didn't really care, as we'll see later.

Oh yeah, Technician. It boosts moves below 60BP by 50%, but only if the final result is under that amount, so Pursuit wouldn't if it was against a Pokemon switching out, since it gets doubled. But moves like Grass Knot and Low Kick would if it was against a light enough Pokemon.

Oh hey, Spiritomb has Hypnosis, that's cool. However, as we get better Pokeballs, we don't really have to bother with it until much later. It's why I haven't been too beat up about not having a move like this on the team.

The perfect ambush that I never slow down in time for.

Wow. Seals. Would be nice if I could do more with it.

Since Pop is so fragile, it was a bit of a push to get to this point, but hey, we have our first fully evolved team member!

We're off to a good start, Floatzel has to rely on various coverage moves, since the best Water attack it learns normally is Aqua Jet. Still, the abundant Water HMs will be available soon enough, though it prefers Waterfall to Surf, Crunch and Ice Fang from the tutor will last it just fine until it can rock some STAB. It's fast, hits nice and hard and dies immediately and that's just the way I likes it! We'll have to rely on other avenues, since the game thinks the last move to cap everything off should be Razor Wind. gently caress off.

"confusing and fun!"

I'm seeing double here, eight family members!

Ah god some more babies to slog through.

How many goddamn babies are there? Are they all in this dex??? Happiny is like Chansey but smol. Bit of a convoluted way to evolve, requiring an item and time of day AND a level, but it's easy enough to pull off. So what does it offer its friend shaped evolutions? Well, Charm, Copycat and Sweet Kiss, which isn't awful, but nothing too amazing. Charm does little to mitigate the terrible defenses and Copycat is only good if you nab something useful, but it doesn't replace the slot like Mimic, so you gotta be real lucky. So yeah, best to just evolve and move on, you've got happiness to grind, chop chop!

And then we have the electric kid. Its evolution level is a little far, but Low Kick and Shock Wave will keep you going until Thunderpunch. It won't be too crazy like the one we obtained in XD, but since it offers nothing much to the rest of the line, you can just evolve it whenever. You're also able to evolve again just before Gym 6, so it's a perfectly fine pick up. Just fragile as heck.

Remember when we waited 27 seconds to kill a level 100 Blissey? Thank gently caress I'm not doing that again!

The Veilstone Department Store is pretty impressive! Did you know they even sell Poffins?

Crazy how much is packed in a pretty small area, I like it.

It's another Belle and Pa combo! Interesting how the last one didn't have their names when talking, boy I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Bit early for a Rapidash mate. Still, if you're using the other Fire type with Flame Wheel, you deserve to get here in DP, while you probably just bought Fire Blast instead of waiting to learn it, you can relearn Megahorn and Poison Jab, which is neat. But if you wait until the postgame, then you can get Flare Blitz to finally replace Flame Wheel. Wow! But yeah, perfectly fine Fire type, but it's a smoother process in Plat, since it evolves pretty drat late.

I reckon the bonds between you and your Pokemon are like the bonds parents share with their kids.

Papa, I'm so sorry! I'll work harder from tomorrow on! ...yup, tomorrow's when I'm going to start working.

I hope you enjoyed those Ranchers and Cowgirls, cause we'll never see them again! Okay, they're in battle facilities, but there's only the one regular Rancher and one regular Cowgirl, as well as two Belle and Pas, which are the only two in the, well, series. It's pretty weird they made trainer classes just for that, but it definitely adds some individuality to this area.

The counterpart is never far behind. Magby has a harder start since it only has Ember and Faint Attack to last until Fire Punch and then evolution, but it's fine enough, I suppose. It can evolve again pretty quickly, since the Magmarizer is only after Gym 4, though Magby and Elekid can only be gotten through breeding and it'll be a while since we find Magmar and Electabuzz, so this whole thing doesn't work great, but hey, they show me a mon, I go over a mon, no matter how unlikely it is you'll actually use the drat thing. I mean you might breed it and then use it with some shiny egg moves. Probably won't, but it'll be fine if you didn't! So many goddamn babies...

The best way to raise Pokemon? ...hmm, when it comes right down to it, isn't it all about love?

Well I'm not inclined to move at all, I think we deserve a break at the cabin!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 10, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

"Its stones appear to have shifted..." after talking to 8 people.
"...is that crying coming from inside the tower?" after 15.
"Is the tower shaking ever so slightly?" after 22.
"There is some sort of presence... it appears ready to emerge!" after 29.

haha what? I never knew that the message changed as you talked to people

Also fog was used in one other game. Of all places....

Pokemon Battle Revolution's Courtyard Colosseum would occasionally have Fog cover the field. It's the only colosseum that can have weather affect the field and they chose...Fog.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This update shows a lot of bad ideas, or good ideas with terrible implementations, in Gen 4.

Fog is the critical one. It's so bad it never came back and good riddance. Defog stuck and became a genuinely great move later on, but not thanks to Fog.
Seals are a good idea with a really bad execution. Beyond the limited choices (which is just even gen design ethos in everything it seems), having to constantly remove them to box Pokemon really sucks and greatly slows down gameplay in a game that's already too slow for its own good (slow for a turn-based RPG is one hell of an insult but I'm using it), and the preview isn't good either.
Spiritomb is just...ugh...why? Who the hell thought this was a good way to catch a Pokemon? It's unintuitive and tedious and what you get isn't even that good. This was also never used again and for drat good reasons.

Gen 4, everyone.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Fog and Babies: The Sinnoh Experience

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Babies would be totally fine provided they were naturally integrated and paced appropriately. On paper a baby Pokemon can give earlier access to a Pokemon line and help spread it into a more full fledged experience. It's me, I'm the one who thinks puchicorn should have been a final pokemon.
But incense ruins them ever feeling truly natural and when they do show up in the wild there's often other things that just make you go "why" like hey great Mime Jr/Bonsly in the wild? That's cool! Mr. Mime & Sudowoodo are kind of high in BST so it would make sense for babies to come early. But also you get them right when they already know Mimic or are like a level away so....why?

The happiness babies also don't help matters. Igglybuff sucks and you have to use it for ages for it to become ...another bad Pokemon, who itself may have to wait an eternity before you can even maybe get a stone to evolve it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hi there, it's me, the guy who LPed all 8 Commander Keen games because I love them even though they're flawed.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I'm fine.

Procrastine posted:

Fog and Babies: The Sinnoh Experience

Working out all this stuff has been fun, let me tell you. Now past one specific area, there's no real need for Defog, but that wouldn't be great for an SSLP.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Spiritomb is just...ugh...why? Who the hell thought this was a good way to catch a Pokemon? It's unintuitive and tedious and what you get isn't even that good. This was also never used again and for drat good reasons.

Because Gamefreak put a lot of effort into their shiny new wireless stuff and you will use it, buster. :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think your last two images are wrong, they repeat what you typed out before and your final comment doesn't make sense with them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Nothing like obstructive weather that you can't clear out. :shepicide:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Crosspeice posted:

Hi there, it's me, the guy who LPed all 8 Commander Keen games because I love them even though they're flawed.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I'm fine.

I'm so sorry.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

I think your last two images are wrong, they repeat what you typed out before and your final comment doesn't make sense with them.

How the heck did I miss that?

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm so sorry.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 12: Welcome to Coventry

Route 210 Day

Some of our customers are rowdy types that want to battle. Do what you will with them. I don't mind.

Course, all we ever have is Moomoo Milk. Moomoo Milk, $500 a bottle.

Yes... hahaha... YES! I'm a big believer in Moomoo Milk, it's a great healing item to use for most of the game, but this is the first time in the main series we can get it early and quickly. It was available in XD early enough, but only one at a time, like it was in DP. I will be back here quite a few times.

After a match, you should have some Moomoo Milk to quench your thirst! Just chug it right down! Glug glug!

Hope you enjoyed seeing the Waitress class, since she's the only time you encounter one outside of a battle facility. Yeah I don't get it either.

You motherfucker.

It took me forever to catch it using Honey! I went through a lot of bother to catch my Pokemon. But since I've not raised it, it's as weak as when I caught it.

Uh, actually, Pokemon from Honey Trees can only be as high as level 15, and furthermore *gets shoved in locker*

Ah gently caress, my team is not ready to face a Heracross. But wait, there is one idea...

It's just that easy.

I'm more knowledgeable than anyone else! I have a rare Pokemon! But, I'm weak at battling... that's a Pokemon Collector for you...

Honestly, who decided these route numbers? John Kanto??? It's raining.

Bronzor in the rain is an interesting idea for having both abilities at once. But Water Pokemon will still kick your rear end. Pop's Swift Swim is gonna be great here.

Please, how many stupid shards will I really need?

Still too early for this poo poo.

Sticking to one's own goal is more important than it seems. If you match your goal with someone else, you'll lose your identity.

It's good for Pokemon battles, but if you do that in real life... there'll be no end to the fighting, that's for sure.

Use it after the foe, and its power gets doubled!

Two Black Belt ways to go, hmm, let's go... both ways!

Ah, so that's Payback. Or karma? Is that a Pokemon move? It should be.

If I lose here, I wouldn't stand a chance at the Battle Frontier. Not against those hardcore pros, I wouldn't.

We really are gonna be finding these plates all LP, huh.

It's... just... that easy...

Very mountain road feel to this route, I like it a lot.

I'd think you'd catch a cold training in the rain like this.

First time we can get Marill. Make sure it has Huge Power, or you'll be very sad.

There's more mons in the route, but they just don't fancy appearing.

That's cool, though no one needs it.

What, don't fancy learning Wild Charge? Bolt Strike? Volt Tackle??? Ugh, fine.

And that was the last Jogger of the game, aside from battle facilities. Wasn't that worth changing the time to?

But hey, since we can make it night again, here's a Noctowl. I've used it just fine in HGSS, so you can here, since it gets Uproar and Confusion to carry it until Air Slash. The rest is history, though it won't have other special moves of note, like Psychic, Silver Wind and Heat Wave until much later on, alas.

Hypnosis, not even once.

Cool. Still got a mon missing.

Rude, I kinda need that maybe. This tongue with a Pokemon attached is a fine choice, I've used it before. It has Stomp to carry it to Rollout at level 33, which then leads to evolution after that. It's a Normal type, so give it all the TMs ever, since it doesn't have much otherwise, aside from Power Whip. It also learns Explosion, which is how you should always play life.

Man my team is weak to Grass. Still, so long as it doesn't attack Pop, we'll be fine.

Dammit.

Double dammit. Blimps are cool, and so is Drifblim, even if it's fragile as gently caress. Sure, it has great HP, but those defenses are a travesty. If you had a later level Drifloon from DP, then you're not too far from Ominous Wind, which is the best STAB you'll get for a while. Always a shame when the Stockpile and combo moves hog spots on the movelist. Still, we just got Shock Wave and there's a fair few other special moves to learn later. There's also Air Cutter from tutor later on. It's perfectly fine, it's just a journey getting there. See, all its problems would be solved if it just learned Pluck!

Getting nearly swept by Roselia aside, good fight.

In a Pokemon battle, it doesn't matter how old or young you are. Your gender doesn't matter, either. Nothing like that means anything!

I think about Pokemon all day long. I was confident, you know.

Well that was fun, we're in a brand new city. What's it like?

Veilstone City Day / Night

Veilstone City: Hewn From Rock
From veil and stone. Woah.
Tobari City: A space surrounded by rock.
From 帳 tobari, curtain.

Depressing and full of criminals. Cool.

So inconsiderate, dropping stuff like this. Yoink!

This is Team Galactic's warehouse! It ain't no playground for kids!

This is the awesome Team Galactic's awesome warehouse! A little kid like you should be playing at the Pokemon Gym. After all, the Gym Leader happens to be a kid just like you!

Good to get refreshed after such a brutal burn. What's in this house?

It's a Pokemon called PORYGON. I found it near Team Galactic's building. I'm no Trainer, so can you take it off my hands? Oh! Excellent! Thanks! That'll make the PORYGON happy, too. I suspect it ran away from those Team Galactic goons.

It's so bizarre, like a robot that's about to start moving.

Yo dawg, I heard you like trade evolutions. If you have a friend, or a second DS, let's not kid ourselves here, then Porygon can become very useful very quickly. We already have the Upgrade, though the Dubious Disc is postgame... in DP, it's after Gym 7 in this game. Still, Porygon is fine to use for a little bit if you've gotta wait for your best friend to come back from vacation. Who's in Canada. And totally real. Psybeam is a good start, with Signal Beam coming shortly and then give it all the TMs. All of them. It doesn't matter when you evolve it, so long as you do it!

Oh baby, let's spend about 50 screenshots in this place!

Veilstone Department Store

Why wait for badge requirements when you can just get it all from here? Okay, no Full Restores, but considering the Marts haven't changed since ETERNA in DP, this is a wonderful thing.

It will give your Pokemon a different look for Contests.

If you're bad at making Poffins, like me, or cba with all that bullshit, then you can buy them in this basement area exclusive to Plat! They're always two flavours, with a level of 32 and feel of 20. These are pretty drat good if you've got the cash and make your Pokemon ready for a contest by quickly letting you max 3 stats before the sheen cap.

Here's some cool stuff to buy. We've found some of these berries already, and they can be given out by the Berry Master, but hey, they're super cheap, so why not. All restore 1/8th of HP when the Pokemon is below half health, but will confuse the Pokemon if they don't like the flavour. Yup, trash, but maybe one day they'll be good. Probably not.

Mmm, cheap Full Heals. Seriously, why would you bother buying them when there's 10 a pop right here! You could only obtain the one in DP, so another reason why this game is great.

How could you. I need my 20HP recovery!!!

I can give you the Counter app over the counter. Would you like it? OK, here you go. Go forth and count!

I hope that Counter app I gave you is useful.

I mean, I would've preferred the Counter TM. Well you can keep count until you change app or turn the game off. Counting egg hatches? I dunno man.

Here's the stuff I never really use. Well, I've been shoving down the drinks we get here and there, but it's all whatever.

The TM selection is very nice, always find a way to fit Fire Blast on my team, and Focus Blast for those that desperately need the coverage, suckers. Endless False Swipe is nice and Flash is useless past Wayward Cave, so that's cool.

The rare instance of a decoration not being in the Underground. Those dolls are definitely ones that scream pre-release Gen 4.

I think this is the first vending machine we've seen? Well it's not good as Moomoo Milk, otherwise Lemonade is the one to go for.

That Sticky Barb is a hold item. If a Pokemon holding it is hit... the Sticky Barb sticks to the foe and inflicts damage!

Riiiiiight. Pretty weird item that inflicts 1/8th health per turn until a Pokemon with no hold item hits it with a contact move. Then it'll transfer. Repeat until something faints. At least Magic Guard protects the damage, but yeah, wow, yikes.

This building got one hell of a redesign in this game, so let's see what it's all about.

They making some kind of Space... Force?

I'm sorry, this is the Galactic Veilstone Building. Cosmic energy for the win! Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could harness that boundless energy?

Well here's some energy.

Hmm, four meteorites. I imagine there's an alien that could change depending on which one it interacted with, but that also sounds silly.

Ah, we'll talk about this place in a moment. Lots to do here. Well, for most of the world.

"use any items on it."

Anyway, enjoy your visit to Veilstone, the city of... well, stone.

Oh yeah, I just remembered looking at this guy that Roughnecks only have that one guy in the Lost Tower, outside of battle facilities. So that's another unique class to the Solaceon area. Why is it up to 5???

I meant your Pokemon. If you'd like, I can give a massage to a Pokemon. Would you like that? Which one needs a little love?

When I was massaging your Pokemon, I found this.

So we've got Accessories you can buy, Accessories you can find in Amity Square and now we've got 16 Accessories from the Massage Girl. You can do this once a day, so after 160 straight days, you'll max out on the Accessories and get nothing. It's a flat +3 to happiness no matter what amount the Pokemon's at, so it's consistent, but there's a better method later on. If the Pokemon is dreamily content, then its happiness is above 199, but there's other ways to find that out. Since we've seen all the different ways we can repeatably get Accessories, besides winning Contests themselves, I'll be hacking in every Accessory, just so the Appeal Round has some goddamn variety.

Now, which hand is that Coin in? My left or right? Bravo! A winner is you! For our winner, I have here... a Coin Case!

God, clowns are so loving weird, I've never understood their appeal. Anyway, let's go GAMBLE!

Veilstone Game Corner

Further investigation is needed, and I am just the man to do it. Also, where the masses gather, so too does information. ...ack. My streak is broken.

Listen, when CLEFAIRY appears, that's your chance to line up sevens. Line those babies up and you're into the bonus round!

Oh, let me impart a piece of advice to you! If the moon turns red, you don't want to get a replay because it makes CLEFAIRY tired!

If you accomplish the feat of completing 10 uninterrupted bonus rounds, please go to the counter. You will be presented with a fabulous prize! The current record sits at 9 straight bonus rounds!

Are you a Trainer? Did you battle the Gym Leader? She happens to be my daughter. She's some kind of tough!

So welcome to gambling, like always this is the quickest and easiest way to get coins, since there's some pretty drat sweet prizes. The minigame will be covered shortly and it's a pretty boring one, alas, but you need to win the bonus game in order to get the sweet prize you can't get anywhere else. That prize? Well, since it's a tedious grind to try for it, let's see what it is!

Ten straight bonus rounds on the slots! That's amazing! I would say you had an explosion of good luck! So please take this Technical Machines as a memento! [Obtained TM64 Explosion] Please keep playing the slots for another explosion of good luck!

Now the TM is actually quite nice, some Pokemon really appreciate the move, but it's the last sentence that really sucks. There's only one TM per save file, so even if you grinded against the slots to reach 10 bonus rounds again, you won't get another TM. And it's still faster to buy coins. You'll see my best attempt in the Side Notes later.

With all your coins, what kind of crazy prizes can you get? Well there's a million TMs, but we'll go over the four items first. The Silk Scarf and Zoom Lens can only be obtained from here, but, as Skulletor is glad for, the Metronome and Wide Lens can also be found as wild held items, which is something I'll eventually go over, from Kricketot/Kricketune and Yanma, respectively. Since we're unlikely to see them otherwise, the Wide Lens boosts accuracy of all moves by 10%, while the Zoom Lens boosts accuracy for all moves by 20% if the holder goes after the opponent. Not too useful, but they're here.

As for TMs we have, in order... Substitute, Endure, Swords Dance, Double Team, Rest, U-turn, Hidden Power, Return, Frustration, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Psychic, Gyro Ball and Giga Impact. An extensive list with a lot of good moves, but Endure, Swords Dance, Gyro Ball and Giga Impact can only be obtained here, though Hidden Power is only in DP and Rest is only through Pickup. The prices are ridiculous, since the Coin Case has a much higher limit in this game, but at least some of the pricier ones can be obtained otherwise.

But overall, there's a lot here for playing the slots, which is why I'm playing the US version of this game! If I was playing the EU version, due to new revisions by PEGI, any kind of gambling makes your game 18+. Obviously that wouldn't work for Pokemon, so they had to remove it for the game in those regions. The general stigma of gambling in video games made the shift to games like Voltorb Flip occurring over the regular slots in international versions of HGSS, which I've previously covered, and then the complete removal of them later on. It's a bit ridiculous considering mobile gaming and lootboxes and predatory practises are in games everywhere these days, but at least that's getting some eventual pushback. It's not a big loss, the Game Corners were always consistently poo poo for getting coins outside of buying them, and I don't miss them. Wahoo, this is the last one I have to cover!

It's a power that lets me see the Hidden Power of a Pokemon. When they learn that move, I can tell what type the move will be. So, want my to use my Hidden Power? I'll tell you what type your Pokemon's Hidden Power will be.

"would be ELECTRIC."

Ooh, Pop can get some interesting coverage. We can find this out through save editors anyway, and the important part is the move's power, so these guys are never too helpful.

Wow, you just keep getting tougher and tougher. Me? Well, I took a look in the Game Corner, and... I mean, yeah, of course I've been working on my Pokedex, but... anyway, keep it up!

I'm the tidal wave of power to wash you away! Put out the fire, Crasher Wake! Run from electricity, Crash Wake! Ah, ah, aaaah! The ring is my sea.

"are you?"

Let me tell you now, she's young, but she's a born genius. I tried trainign with her, and I was stunned by how tough she was! Whoops! I'd better tell you who I am! I'm the triple-threat Gym Leader in Pokemon, wrestling, and song. I'm Crasher Wake of Pastoria Gym! We'll meet again!

Lucas/Dawn were pretty bland in DP, so them becoming the straight man to the weirder inclusions of Plat is hilarious. But hey, might as well take down the Gym. You doing anything better with your time? ...me neither.

Pokemon Gym

The Gym Leader is a user of Fighting-type Pokemon. She'd be a terror against Normal-type Pokemon. But! And it's a big but! Just between you and me... Maylene, the Gym Leader, said Flying- and Psychic-type Pokemon could be real trouble for her! If you want to battle her, smack the punching bags along the rails. You have to hit those bags hard!

Veilstone Gym is the last redesigned one, since moving barriers to get around didn't exactly fit thematically. This works a little better, but it's a lot easier.

Usually you've just gotta push these to the ends of their path, nothing particularly tricky about it.

Worth it, though our team is still pretty fragile and not too great against Fighting types. Machoke will do you fine if you can't evolve it, with Submission shortly after evolving, but it definitely doesn't have the same oomph to it, especially since it'll miss out on Stone Edge. It still gets Earthquake and Rock Slide, so it's great, but you can evolve it whenever, so you probably should.

But our Gym Leader Maylene will break you like a stack of bricks!

Thank you for not using a Fighting move. The last two quads better use Power and Wisdom.

To overwhelm by force... that is my ideal beat-down style. It doesn't seem to work that way with Pokemon, however.

C'mon Doug, how could you miss this???

I'll have to redo my training, though. Maylene's gonna trample me again...

This being the way forward is a little sneaky when the other paths are blocked off.

It can take a moment to get your head round everything, but each bag only has one path to take.

Yeah sure, just kick me while I'm down.

Heracross is still pretty drat scary, especially when I could've given it a Guts boost!

I lost because I didn't eat enough pizza. ...no. Anything I say will sound like I'm making excuses.

And there we go. Let's take down the leader.

I don't really know what it means to be strong, or how I got to be the Gym Leader. But I will do the best I can as the Gym Leader. I take battling very seriously. Whenever you're ready!

Gym Leader Battle

Maylene/Sumomo: The Barefoot, Fighting Genius!
From melee, and sumo and the Japanese plum, sumomo.

Yeah, expected. But hey, gotta have Skulletor show up! There's a few subtle differences in the teams, but since Maylene and Wake could be fought in either order, their teams are similarly levelled. This isn't the case with Wake, he's much stronger due to definitely being the fifth leader, instead of potentially the third, but Maylene isn't too much stronger.

Oh hey it's a furry. Lucario definitely deserves the hype it got in the run up to the game's release, since it has all the right stats in all the right places. It can work on either spectrum, but has better physical options, of course, so it's a shame to let so many stat points go to waste. It leans a lot more into its Fighting type, giving you the choice of Aura Sphere or Close Combat later on, and only learning Metal Claw otherwise. It should only use its Steel typing defensively, as its movepool is immense, it gets Bone Rush, Dark Pulse, Swords Dance, Extremespeed and Dragon Pulse from movepool ALONE, imagine if your favourite got this much love?

From there, any good TM and tutor move you can think of, it gets, hell, even its Egg moves are good. It's got Poison Jab, Flash Cannon, Stone Edge, Shadow Ball, Water Pulse, Bullet Punch, Blaze Kick, Vacuum Wave, Ice Punch, Zen Headbutt, loving Magnet Rise. How are you gonna fit all that in 4 slots? Well you don't, and that's its main problem. It has a great typing, but its Steel typing covers and then adds to its weaknesses, it's a mixed bag. Zoroark got a similar push, but definitely not a similar love. What a shame.

And to top it all off, there's Steadfast, which raises Spd by 1 when flinched. Makes those with Fake Out hesitate slightly in using it.

This thing is pretty scary, have you seen those stats? What's our best answer to this?

The main reason I gave Pop Brick Break. Don't like doing it much, but Etrian won't be doing much to it, that's for sure. Pretty sure the crit doesn't matter, but it's nice to see!

Unfortunately Etrian is still a bit beat up, so Pop will have to close this out. Lots of scary opponents!

Alright m8 calm ur tits.

Pokemon Gym

That was a tough loss. I learned a lot from it. Please, accept this Gym Badge.

With it, you can use that hidden move Fly outside of battle. Oh, and since you now have four Gym Badges, Pokemon obtained in trades will obey you up to Lv. 50. Oh, and please take this as well.

Um... that move inflicts damage, and it robs the target's HP. Gee, I'm hungry... oh, sorry, it's nothing. I didn't say anything. Hikari, I can't explain what it means to be strong. I don't know how much effort does into being strong... but being with Pokemon lets us keep making the effort, doesn't it?

Of course, I thought you'd win.

God that looks so dumb. Still, only one more badge until it looks how it should.

I sure could use your help. I'll be waiting in front of the warehouses. Please come!

Well gee, I'd love to help you, but it seems we're out of time, gotta wait until next update, byeeeeeeeeee.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 05: Gambling, too hot for Europe!

Veilstone Game Corner

So you want to succeed at the slots? Well don't, it's not too interesting, but here it is anyway! Like before, you put in up to 3 coins to try and get anything good. You won't, since the game is very weighted against you like this. But of course we have the bottom screen to make things more interesting. You can see all the various payouts and since the DS has extra buttons, you press those to stop the reels.

Randomly, a Pokeball will roll in and this will give you a specific win depending on the ball. For a Pokeball, you get, well, Pokeballs, for a Premier Ball, you get something random, a Great Ball nets a Replay, an Ultra Ball gets Pikachu and a Safari Ball results in Moon Stones.

Clefairy Time!

When you get this win, there's a chance a Clefairy will pop out of the Pokeball and that's when you should decide if you want to continue on to the bonus game to net that TM. There's 3 different Clefairy that can appear, a shiny Clefairy, which gives you the best chance at getting Explosion, regular Clefairy and then a Ditto face Clefairy, which gives you the worst chance. Right now, nothing much will happen.

Until you get a 100 payout, then the bonus game begins.

Bonus Begin

The name of the game is very simple, Clefairy points to a reel and you stop it, in that order. This guarantees it'll stick to a Replay.

When you get all 3, that rewards 15 coins and you do it again. And again. And again. Well, 15 times in all.

After 15 spins, if the Pikachu appear then Clefairy will stay on for another round, with 15 spins again. Since it costs 1 coin to play, as the middle line should only matter if you succeed, then you get 210 coins for perfect play. Wow, that's 2% of the way towards one of the elemental TMs!

And you just keep going. Did you click the music link for this bonus game? It repeats pretty quickly, but it's not too bad. Now imagine if you listened to that for about 40 minutes and you'll understand one of the problems.

The biggest problem is how tedious this all gets. You're just following what Clefairy does and that's it, 15 times in a row per round. Sure, you're getting an alright amount of coins, but not for the time spent.

Oh. It's over. See, depending on the Clefairy you get depends on the chance the game just... ends. Even if you're playing flawlessly and have a shiny Clefairy and miss all the pitfalls, it's still a chance whether you actually get to round 10. If you don't make it, then you have to do it all over again until you do. And you have to let the game end naturally, or it won't count! The only other mechanic is the moon. Sometimes it'll glow red or white and if you follow Clefairy's instructions, it'll affect your chances of moving to the next round. It'll decrease if you don't ignore Clefairy for a red moon, and increase if you do follow the instructions for the white one. However, they're both pretty rare and so long as you keep an ear out for the sound of the glow, you should be fine.

And that's the slots! Man is it boring! Don't bother doing the game without a shiny Clefairy, but even then it's not guaranteed, and failing at round 8 or 9 is just heartbreaking. Just trade over Explosion from HGSS, sheesh.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 16, 2019

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Usually I pad out the page for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

But cba this time, so let's do it the other way instead.