Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

ravenkult posted:

What's the best way to listen to the commentaries?

I either have earbuds with the commentary on from my phone underneath over the ear headphones if I'm watching by myself, or my phone hooked up to secondary speakers near the tv. Subtitles on for both setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

ravenkult posted:

What's the best way to listen to the commentaries?

I play the movie on my TV with the volume lower than usual but still enough to hear and the subtitles on, then I play the podcast from a Bluetooth speaker.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If I made one would people post in it? I've thought about it for a while because Blank Check is my favorite movie podcast.

Same thing here. I'd post on it a lot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If I made one would people post in it? I've thought about it for a while because Blank Check is my favorite movie podcast.

I'm working my way through their back catalog (like, I'm still way back on the Revenge of the Sith episodes), so I'd like somewhere to post about it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:hmmyes:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

thrawn527 posted:

I'm working my way through their back catalog (like, I'm still way back on the Revenge of the Sith episodes), so I'd like somewhere to post about it.

I'm doing the same thing! I've just finished the M Night series.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I don't have the patience for that, I just pick movies I thought will be an interesting discussion (hint: they all are)

Violator
May 15, 2003

I need to give more of the commentaries a try. I didn’t like the Nightmare on Elm Street one because it felt mostly like a couple of dudes drinking and saying “Oh my god look at this! *laughing*” without much insight or comedy. I think this is a general problem with movies they not only dislike, but look down on.

I’ve seen people say that the Commando one is better because Steve’s experiencing it for the first time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've been skipping the commentaries because, I'd like to watch along, but I never get around to it :negative:

EDIT:
I do have a lot of time where I listen to the TV with headphones, and I've been wondering if there is a simple soundboard I could get that I could mix the audio with lately.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jojoinnit posted:

I don't have the patience for that, I just pick movies I thought will be an interesting discussion (hint: they all are)

To be fair, I'm not listening to literally every episode. I skipped the episode on The Judge because I have never cared one way or the other about that movie.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
When I got into the podcast about 3 years ago I just started with episode 109 or whatever was the first one they had with their actual theme because that was all the podcast players would load from. Since I was driving like 3-4 hours a day for work I got through the whole catalogue in like a year or so? And I did most of the earlier eps after I'd caught up

The only ones I skipped were some of the really early ones with terrible sound editing, the Star Wars prequel episodes because holy poo poo I've listened to too many prequel critiques over the years and that weird period around 'Thinner' where they kept talking about cold Burger King because it really grossed me out for some reason.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zore posted:

When I got into the podcast about 3 years ago I just started with episode 109 or whatever was the first one they had with their actual theme because that was all the podcast players would load from. Since I was driving like 3-4 hours a day for work I got through the whole catalogue in like a year or so? And I did most of the earlier eps after I'd caught up

The only ones I skipped were some of the really early ones with terrible sound editing, the Star Wars prequel episodes because holy poo poo I've listened to too many prequel critiques over the years and that weird period around 'Thinner' where they kept talking about cold Burger King because it really grossed me out for some reason.

The first episodes I listened to were The Devil's Advocate (218), followed by Cyber Seduction (216), then The Dead Pool (217) during the long rear end road trip to visit my parents for Christmas. They weren't one after another as I did throw other podcasts between. I do make sure to queue up several episodes for these trips (or like last year I let the Patreon episodes build up)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hey so like why isn’t there a no ads patreon tier? I’d pay an extra buck not to have to listen to whatever crap gets jammed into the main feed these days. Oh and getting the mailbag eps a month after they show up on YouTube is hella dumb. Otherwise love the show and I’ll take my answer off the air god bless

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arson Daily posted:

Hey so like why isn’t there a no ads patreon tier? I’d pay an extra buck not to have to listen to whatever crap gets jammed into the main feed these days. Oh and getting the mailbag eps a month after they show up on YouTube is hella dumb. Otherwise love the show and I’ll take my answer off the air god bless

Eric posted in here a few months ago when they started the mailbag issue. Apparently those were the least downloaded episodes, so they moved them to YouTube, after some complaints they did the month delay.

Just watch them on YouTube at lunch.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Podcasters trying to become YouTubers is such a fundamental misunderstanding of their medium and audience. Podcasts are something that mostly exist because people have commutes and jobs where their hands and eyes are busy and they need something to occupy their mind, sitting down and watching a video is the antithesis of that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think the thing is that they don't particularly do anything with the video medium, so at best it's "engagement" in the sense that LPs have the head of some pasty white dude in the corner because that's what people want? But I imagine the work is minimal and if they want their stuff on another platform, more power to them.

Also color me surprised that they all liked Dark Phoenix.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Did they? It felt fairly middling overall. Also, I'd post in a Blank Check thread but that's probably a net negative.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jojoinnit posted:

Did they? It felt fairly middling overall. Also, I'd post in a Blank Check thread but that's probably a net negative.

It was a split, they all seemed to have not disliked it

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I prefer the mailbags on YouTube, but I also wouldn't want all their content to head in that direction. I tend to compartmentalize my media consumption - I like to watch the mailbags while hanging around the house playing games and getting stoned, while most of the mainline episodes are listened to at the office or while out and about.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
If it weren't for the youtube mailbags, you wouldn't get Eric revealing himself as the masked singer so I'm ok with it. I just minimize them and listen to them like a normal podcast otherwise though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I discovered at least two podcasts because they popped up tangentially related to something I was looking up so I think it’s a pretty ok idea to throw poo poo on YouTube.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, I like the video content of some things on YT. Keep the main shows on the podcast and add special stuff like mailbags to YT so you can see their beautiful faces.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Violator posted:

Yeah, I like the video content of some things on YT. Keep the main shows on the podcast and add special stuff like mailbags to YT so you can see their beautiful faces.

Exactly! It’s a treat, not the main course for me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I made a thread for Blank Check if people want to talk about it at all.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Dang, I got confused. Donald Sutherland wasn't in Deep Rising, he was in that other late-90s marine monster movie, Virus.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah, I also frequently confuse Deep Rising with Deep Impact, its weird how my memories of this film sort of bleeds into several others. I also briefly remembered scenes from Sphere when I saw the tweet announcing this ep.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FYI, Deep Rising is on YouTube in its entirety for free, if you want to check it out before listening. Which you should. Because it’s awesome. In an extremely dumb way.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Hey you're right, its the top result, second is the link to purchase it from YouTube, :golfclap:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This episode feels like a mailbag in how frequently they go off topic. I don't remember anything they said about the movie.

It's hilarious as hell though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Baka-nin posted:

Hey you're right, its the top result, second is the link to purchase it from YouTube, :golfclap:

Yeah, I went to YouTube this morning to look up clips or a trailer or something to remind myself of it. And then there was the whole movie, just waiting for me, like an old friend.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I've binged a few eps today while doing other stuff and I just realised I kinda hate that at the end they rate things as "hangover movie or not" since it's not really a frame of reference for me. That's very specific and pedantic though and I'm certainly aware.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

uh oh
https://twitter.com/jupin/status/1138646514681729024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jojoinnit posted:

I've binged a few eps today while doing other stuff and I just realised I kinda hate that at the end they rate things as "hangover movie or not" since it's not really a frame of reference for me. That's very specific and pedantic though and I'm certainly aware.

I agree that they rate things as hangover movies a little too much (I mean, like what you want to like, you don't need to coach it in anything), but the general idea is picture yourself on a Sunday morning, you're not totally awake yet, and you just want to veg out on the couch and not think about anything for a while. You don't have to be hungover, just tired and lazy.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Was this a podcast or a liveshow? Because usually their live shows do not go on for that long.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

DoubleCakes posted:

Was this a podcast or a liveshow? Because usually their live shows do not go on for that long.

I'm not sure but I feel like if it was a live show we would have heard an ad for it. I don't get the Big Daddy Discharge but somebody in that Twitter thread said Forrest Gump wasn't listed in this month's edition.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

clown shoes posted:

Big Daddy Discharge

Hello I'm here on behalf of Concerned Citizens Against You Ever Saying That Again and I was wondering if you would be interested in some literature or maybe making a tax deductible donation

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Probably just getting a head start on next month

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

clown shoes posted:

I'm not sure but I feel like if it was a live show we would have heard an ad for it. I don't get the Big Daddy Discharge but somebody in that Twitter thread said Forrest Gump wasn't listed in this month's edition.

It's probably due to this year being plugged as a milestone anniversary year for FG.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

Hello I'm here on behalf of Concerned Citizens Against You Ever Saying That Again and I was wondering if you would be interested in some literature or maybe making a tax deductible donation

OMG that was not intended. It's Dispatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

My non-alcoholic equivalent would be "International flight movie," which probably overlaps a lot with hangover movies and the general feeling of a hangover.