Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Southern Heel posted:

My ex and I split, and I'm keeping the house. It's a three bed, and so now I've got a spare bedroom which used to be her office - it's basically empty apart from a pair of white ikea wardrobes that are half full (and probably could be completely gone) and lime green walls. The floor (as the rest of the house) is bare boards varnished and walnut-stained.

Do I just take it on the chin and paint the room grey or some muted pastel and fill it with white bedroom furniture? The house is alot bigger than I need, and it seems bananas to spend £5-600 to furnish a room that would get used maybe twice per year. My thought is to move my office (which is currently in the smallest 'box room' bedroom) into the spare bedroom so I have a bigger space to work with, but it would only leave room for a single bed for a guest. I don't know if this is even a problem, just generally have no idea what to do

Swap the furniture round, that's free and reversible. Throw a neutral shade up, that's cheap and easily painted over. Don't spend money furnishing a room without a purpose, why would you do that. Guests can sleep wherever, if there's too many of them for the single guest room they can do sofas etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

We'd like to install a fence across our driveway. We got a quote from a local fence installer for something like $1,500, and I'm wondering if I can beat that doing it myself.

Our driveway is ten feet wide concrete slabs, which I have no intention of changing or ruining the edges of. The guy that gave us the quote said they would custom make two 5' 2" chain link frames that would span the driveway, and put the posts in the ground next to the driveway without modifying the existing concrete slabs.

I did some light googling and it seems like people install their own fences all the time. Shove a pressure treated 4x4 or 6x6 or a steal beam that won't melt a foot or two into the ground, anchor with concrete, then hang the gates from them. Since the gates would need to be at least 5' 2", and possibly up to 6', I'd mostly be worried about constructing all of this strong enough to support the weight of hanging those gates.

As for the material and design of the gates, I'm not especially picky. They only need to be three or four feet tall, as the primary purpose of the gate is to keep our small dogs from running out into traffic. Wood would be totally fine, but if that's going to be too heavy, I'd be fine with aluminum slats, or vinyl, or whatever. I'd probably want them to look something like this, but again, I'm not married to it:

How difficult would it be to build something like this myself? Mount the posts, build the gate frames, put it all up aligned correctly, and make sure it's strong enough to not rip the hinges off in a month?

I think it would be pretty easy to build yourself, in the style of that picture. Use treated wood for everything, paint it all, slam it all together, use huge gently caress-off barn door hinges. You could buy casters for the end of each door if you're worried about sagging due to the weight, but if you buy 1" thick wood instead of 2" then I'd think it'd be fine.

Building it out of wood will look a lot nicer than chain link, too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

QuarkJets posted:

I think it would be pretty easy to build yourself, in the style of that picture. Use treated wood for everything, paint it all, slam it all together, use huge gently caress-off barn door hinges. You could buy casters for the end of each door if you're worried about sagging due to the weight, but if you buy 1" thick wood instead of 2" then I'd think it'd be fine.

Pretty sure that’s steel in the picture. Expect they’d need some cross bracing to do that with wood. Looks heavy af and expensive too.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

We'd like to install a fence across our driveway. We got a quote from a local fence installer for something like $1,500, and I'm wondering if I can beat that doing it myself.

Our driveway is ten feet wide concrete slabs, which I have no intention of changing or ruining the edges of. The guy that gave us the quote said they would custom make two 5' 2" chain link frames that would span the driveway, and put the posts in the ground next to the driveway without modifying the existing concrete slabs.

I did some light googling and it seems like people install their own fences all the time. Shove a pressure treated 4x4 or 6x6 or a steal beam that won't melt a foot or two into the ground, anchor with concrete, then hang the gates from them. Since the gates would need to be at least 5' 2", and possibly up to 6', I'd mostly be worried about constructing all of this strong enough to support the weight of hanging those gates.

As for the material and design of the gates, I'm not especially picky. They only need to be three or four feet tall, as the primary purpose of the gate is to keep our small dogs from running out into traffic. Wood would be totally fine, but if that's going to be too heavy, I'd be fine with aluminum slats, or vinyl, or whatever. I'd probably want them to look something like this, but again, I'm not married to it:

How difficult would it be to build something like this myself? Mount the posts, build the gate frames, put it all up aligned correctly, and make sure it's strong enough to not rip the hinges off in a month?

One thing I would say from experience is that you can build just about anything yourself but you will gently caress up a lot to begin with and have to redo things, and there'll be a surprising amount of investment required in tools and skills. It will be long and gruelling and more expensive than buying one, but in the end you'll have a gate you made that's pretty good and also some tools and the skills to use them.

Don't do it to try and save money unless your time is worth next to nothing or the skills you'll gain outweigh the cost.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Southern Heel posted:

My ex and I split, and I'm keeping the house. It's a three bed, and so now I've got a spare bedroom which used to be her office - it's basically empty apart from a pair of white ikea wardrobes that are half full (and probably could be completely gone) and lime green walls. The floor (as the rest of the house) is bare boards varnished and walnut-stained.

Do I just take it on the chin and paint the room grey or some muted pastel and fill it with white bedroom furniture? The house is alot bigger than I need, and it seems bananas to spend £5-600 to furnish a room that would get used maybe twice per year. My thought is to move my office (which is currently in the smallest 'box room' bedroom) into the spare bedroom so I have a bigger space to work with, but it would only leave room for a single bed for a guest. I don't know if this is even a problem, just generally have no idea what to do
Aren't you a train dude? Doesnt a spare room in a train dude's house = More trains?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dedicated VR room / masturbatorium

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Enos Cabell posted:

Dedicated VR room / masturbatorium

Yep, he can be watching "Roadhouse" in VR while abusing himself.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Any ballparks on refinishing about 700 sqft of hardwood? No staining, just sanding and resealing.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

You said the $1500 quote was for chainlink? Do you have an existing chainlink fence to match? There's plenty of premade gate panels you could probably hang without much problem.

Minimal searching: https://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-9-1-2-ft-W-x-4-ft-H-Metal-Steel-Drive-Through-Chain-Link-Fence-Gate-2-Panels-328402A/100322527

Wood easy-hang kits are quite a bit more, plus the cost of wood. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Adjust-A-Gate-3-Rail-60-in-H-60-in-96-in-W-Kit-Contractor-Series-Double-Drive-Kit-AG60-3-DD/301148570

Anything metal like you linked is going to be considerably more than $1500, even DIYed.

QuarkJets posted:

Jaded Burnout posted:

One thing I would say from experience is that you can build just about anything yourself but you will gently caress up a lot to begin with and have to redo things, and there'll be a surprising amount of investment required in tools and skills. It will be long and gruelling and more expensive than buying one, but in the end you'll have a gate you made that's pretty good and also some tools and the skills to use them.

Don't do it to try and save money unless your time is worth next to nothing or the skills you'll gain outweigh the cost.

We have no existing fence to match it to. The driveway is flanked by our house and our neighbor's fence. The company that gave us the quote was going with chain link since it would be the cheapest.

I'm leaning towards giving it a shot myself. It looks like the wood easy-hang kit is a good middle ground. I figure if I pay ~$400 for the kit, I can probably do supplies for another ~$200 to $300. That would cover the two wood posts, a few pieces of wood to cover the frame (I wouldn't be going with complete coverage, just attaching a few boards), a pint of stain or paint, and the concrete to set the posts. I've got a fair set of tools at this point, and what I don't have I can probably borrow from my father or FIL. I'm happy to give these types of projects the ol' college try as I'm a new home owner (just a few weeks), and expect these types of experiences to pay for themselves over the years.

Thanks for the encouragement, this is going onto the list of projects to plan for once I get my drat painting done.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Any ballparks on refinishing about 700 sqft of hardwood? No staining, just sanding and resealing.

Around $2k.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm happy to give these types of projects the ol' college try as I'm a new home owner (just a few weeks), and expect these types of experiences to pay for themselves over the years.

Thanks for the encouragement, this is going onto the list of projects to plan for once I get my drat painting done.

We are project-kin, you and me.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

$2k is a good guess. The rates i got in 2017 where anywhere from $2.35/sqft for just sanding and urethane, or $2.85/sqft for puttying in holes, sanding, and 3 layers of urethane.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

I'm leaning towards giving it a shot myself. It looks like the wood easy-hang kit is a good middle ground. I figure if I pay ~$400 for the kit, I can probably do supplies for another ~$200 to $300. That would cover the two wood posts, a few pieces of wood to cover the frame (I wouldn't be going with complete coverage, just attaching a few boards), a pint of stain or paint, and the concrete to set the posts. I've got a fair set of tools at this point, and what I don't have I can probably borrow from my father or FIL. I'm happy to give these types of projects the ol' college try as I'm a new home owner (just a few weeks), and expect these types of experiences to pay for themselves over the years.
If it’s wood you’re probably going to want to paint or stain it every few years, so maybe prepare for that.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If it’s wood you’re probably going to want to paint or stain it every few years, so maybe prepare for that.

That sounds a bit annoying.

If I wanted to do something other than wood, what would my options be? Aside from metal plates, are there faux wood vinyl planks or something? Using a plastic would also cut down on the weight, which I'm all about. I'm not even sure what to search for here.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Could you get two composite fence panels, put those on hinges, and add a latch?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SimTek-Ashland-6-ft-H-x-6-ft-W-Red-Cedar-Composite-Fence-Panel-WP72X72RCD/206111371

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

We have no existing fence to match it to. The driveway is flanked by our house and our neighbor's fence. The company that gave us the quote was going with chain link since it would be the cheapest.

Depending on your neighborhood/household aesthetic it may be worth your while to check out a tractor supply store or similar co-op offerings of metal tube gates. Very lightweight and relatively cheap but if you aren't in a more rural setting it will look out of place.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

Depending on your neighborhood/household aesthetic it may be worth your while to check out a tractor supply store or similar co-op offerings of metal tube gates. Very lightweight and relatively cheap but if you aren't in a more rural setting it will look out of place.

Probably not gonna keep the dogs in unless they add chickenwire or something at which point it's not very aesthete

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Probably not gonna keep the dogs in unless they add chickenwire or something at which point it's not very aesthete

Hog panels wired to the back of it. They don't look bad at all, but it's def only appropriate in a more rural setting.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

The exact gate I got is no longer in stock but I got something similar to this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/wire-filled-gate-14-ft?cm_vc=-10005

mesh on the bottom 2/3rds that works to keep my dogs from getting out (worked for my chickens too)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The cat broke a slat in the blinds :suicide: I wasn’t able to save it, a piece flat-out broke off. What’s my best bet for finding new mini blinds of a certain width and length? The window is kind of a weird width (~29.5 in).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

The cat broke a slat in the blinds :suicide: I wasn’t able to save it, a piece flat-out broke off. What’s my best bet for finding new mini blinds of a certain width and length? The window is kind of a weird width (~29.5 in).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Achim-29-in-W-x-64-in-L-GII-Luna-Mahogany-Cordless-Venetian-Blind-LUG229MH04/308305902

29" option, I would avoid looking for custom blinds because they are very expensive compared to pre-made.

Are you in the US? I would look at HD, Lowes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You know what? Scratch that. I just remembered I have some old useless blinds still lying around. The slats weren’t the same width, but I managed to fit a prosthetic on the broken one.

I am oddly proud of myself right now. I just gotta figure out a better option than packing tape for bonding vinyl together.

tangy yet delightful posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Achim-29-in-W-x-64-in-L-GII-Luna-Mahogany-Cordless-Venetian-Blind-LUG229MH04/308305902

29" option, I would avoid looking for custom blinds because they are very expensive compared to pre-made.

Are you in the US? I would look at HD, Lowes.

That said, these look good - if the rear end in a top hat manages to break the whole thing, I’ll prolly nab these. Thanks!!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That sounds a bit annoying.

If I wanted to do something other than wood, what would my options be? Aside from metal plates, are there faux wood vinyl planks or something? Using a plastic would also cut down on the weight, which I'm all about. I'm not even sure what to search for here.

Why don’t you just get an invisible fence if it’s only to keep dogs in?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 7, 2019

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
In the future: all blinds are oddball sizes. The slat kind are meant to be cut, and any big box store should cut them for free

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah true "custom" blinds are like $300 a pop but Home Depot will make you "custom fit" blinds by just slicing them to size

Just make sure you measure the width across both the top and bottom of the window

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I moved to a new place a couple weeks ago and somehow I’m getting 4-5 moths in the house every day. What can I do? Time to call a pest company?

E: literally just killed 5 more in the bathroom when I went to brush my teeth

Faustian Bargain fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 7, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

I moved to a new place a couple weeks ago and somehow I’m getting 4-5 moths in the house every day. What can I do? Time to call a pest company?

Are you allergic to moths or something? I don't see a problem. Moths are cool and good and you should stop killing them

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

VR Masturbatorium :))))

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm sorry to hear that

Thanks bros, it was the right thing for us to do, so while not great it's the start of the next chapter, etc. - either way it's been a couple of months and I've just let the room sit as it is. At this point it seems more pointed that I haven't moved forward with it, rather than I'm encroaching onto some sore memory of what was.

Slugworth posted:

Aren't you a train dude? Doesnt a spare room in a train dude's house = More trains?

I am indeed, a train dude - but I have a workshop with all my tools/layout/etc. in the garden, and a movable 'mini workshop' that I take with me to the couch/etc.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Swap the furniture round, that's free and reversible. Throw a neutral shade up, that's cheap and easily painted over. Don't spend money furnishing a room without a purpose, why would you do that. Guests can sleep wherever, if there's too many of them for the single guest room they can do sofas etc.

H110Hawk posted:

We don't know specifically what you need or want in an office or guest room. It will probably happen in an ah-hah moment one morning in the shower.

So, this is why I'm posting in Home Spergin' as opposed to Interior Design: Just about the only thing moving my office would achieve is that I'd get a little more natural sunlight so seems a little pointless but I could try it - if not a guest bedroom then the room will just end up mothballed? I definitely need to do some filling and sanding and painting, though. A three bed house for my dog and I was always going to be excessive, and maybe I shouldn't seek to fill that space - but having it and not even notionally using it seems wierd!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

More natural light and more open space? Sounds like a no-brainer.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Faustian Bargain posted:

Tiny moths? Summer is starting and bugs are hatching.
Do they tend to appear in one area? There might be a cluster of eggs in an unexpected location. At my in-law's house, it was a small tupperware of peanuts in the pantry. We sealed it in a zipper bag and threw it out. :killdozer:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

Tiny moths? Summer is starting and bugs are hatching.
Do they tend to appear in one area? There might be a cluster of eggs in an unexpected location. At my in-law's house, it was a small tupperware of peanuts in the pantry. We sealed it in a zipper bag and threw it out. :killdozer:

True dat. My mom had moths in her house, they turned out to be pantry moths that hatched in dry dog food. Could also be clothes moths or others. Catch some in a jar, kill them, and take a picture or two for ID.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

It’s not the little food ones. It’s these about 1 inch dudes that attack light and get dust on things.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Faustian Bargain posted:

Your phrasing makes me think you a renting. If that's the case the answer is, as always: call your land lord. They very well may have a pest control contract on the place, and most of those will come out periodically to treat, but if something is going on in between visits they show up to deal with it for free.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Faustian Bargain posted:

It’s not the little food ones. It’s these about 1 inch dudes that attack light and get dust on things.

Q: Are you secretly Buffalo Bill?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Motronic posted:

Your phrasing makes me think you a renting. If that's the case the answer is, as always: call your land lord. They very well may have a pest control contract on the place, and most of those will come out periodically to treat, but if something is going on in between visits they show up to deal with it for free.
Nope, we own it. My wife is going to call the pest people today.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Hubis posted:

Q: Are you secretly Buffalo Bill?

3/5, would have gone with "Would you gently caress you? Would you gently caress you so hard?"

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fallom posted:

Yeah true "custom" blinds are like $300 a pop but Home Depot will make you "custom fit" blinds by just slicing them to size

Just make sure you measure the width across both the top and bottom of the window

I did a bunch of windows with custom Levolor faux wood blinded a few years ago and it worked out to around $140 a window and I love them. They look great, feel substantial, and were super easy to install.

I considered doing plantation shutters but none of the locations would have been good for in-swinging shutters.

I just did a bunch of large windows in a rental with cut in store plastic no-cord blinds and I’m reminded how awful non-wood/faux wood blinds are.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

So, this is why I'm posting in Home Spergin' as opposed to Interior Design: Just about the only thing moving my office would achieve is that I'd get a little more natural sunlight so seems a little pointless but I could try it - if not a guest bedroom then the room will just end up mothballed? I definitely need to do some filling and sanding and painting, though. A three bed house for my dog and I was always going to be excessive, and maybe I shouldn't seek to fill that space - but having it and not even notionally using it seems wierd!

Mainly the E/N aspect of "let yourself grieve the loss of your relationship" prior to "what do I do with this now empty space." If you don't have an immediate use for it, let it be, and that's OK. Who knows what will happen in a month or a year, maybe a new relationship, maybe a guest room and you start throwing bigger parties or inviting people from out of town to visit. More natural light is often a good thing, almost everyone who works inside these days has a vitamin D deficiency.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Really the answer to "what do I do if I have an empty room I don't have a use for" is "move somewhere smaller" or "get a lodger".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Really the answer to "what do I do if I have an empty room I don't have a use for" is "move somewhere smaller" or "get a lodger".

"start building model trains"