Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really hate to continue the dogpile here but you 100% need to take his keys away.

This sucks to do, and its embarrassing and will hurt his feelings but you do not want the guilt if he ends up killing some neighbors kid in a month.

You make the determination, "hey, this old can keep driving" when they still can see well, make good judgements and maintain a good lane at 70 and 80. You don't give second chances at 90.

I had to do this myself a few years ago and it was terribly un-fun to remove someone who has pride and has always been self reliant. But you need to be a man and make the hard choices to prevent a kid or whoever from getting killed. Tell the rest of your family to support you on this. This is no joke.

That being said, you don't have to be brutally honest to him. If you need to make up a story that prevents him from getting the car, thats ok. In our family we told our old that their grandkid needed their car to learn to drive, and they never got it back. If you need to tell your old that the DR said its not good for his back rehab, or that the dealership didnt have his model, or your crazy uncle needed the car, whatever. And offer to drive him places yourself. I ended up going on grocery runs with my old and got to make a lot more memories with them. We took their car away at 91 and they died at 93, so you don't know how much more time you will get to spend with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If this guy is a racist prick and not invited over to your house why are you even helping him

Just drop a dime on him to the DMV/cops/whoever that he needs to be off the road, and then peace out

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The OP may be spinning a yarn cause apparently he has no ability to prevent his Gramps from driving but is also responsible for getting him his next car.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 7, 2019

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
With the advent of modern technology like uber and even before, not having a car is probably not a meaningful impediment to his personal mobility. Since he probably isn't commuting 100 miles a day to work like the other nutjobs in this thread it will probably be cheaper than a new car plus gas and insurance. If he can turn a key and put a car into gear then he can operate a smartphone, if he can't then he shouldn't be driving. If smartphone screens are too small get him an LTE enabled tablet. Or just tell him to call you whenever he needs to get somewhere and you can do it for him.

He can still do everything he needs to do other than drive and will likely save money. The only reason he still insists on driving is because he's a dick. Go ahead and tell him to buy an X6 or a short bed crew cab diesel 3/4 ton and just go all the way to the floor with the unnecessary stupidity.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 7, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also the alleged fact that the construction worker waved him into the turn comes from the 90 year old so.

Unless the construction worker admitted it which I doubt. Maybe.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

euphronius posted:

Also the alleged fact that the construction worker waved him into the turn comes from the 90 year old so.

Unless the construction worker admitted it which I doubt. Maybe.

Even if he did, it doesn't grant right-of-way.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The OP may be spinning a yarn cause apparently he has no ability to prevent his Gramps from driving but is also responsible for getting him his next car.

Oh I'm not getting it for him. I'm just looking at what's out there and what it costs.

Throatwarbler posted:

With the advent of modern technology like uber and even before, not having a car is probably not a meaningful impediment to his personal mobility. Since he probably isn't commuting 100 miles a day to work like the other nutjobs in this thread it will probably be cheaper than a new car plus gas and insurance. If he can turn a key and put a car into gear then he can operate a smartphone, if he can't then he shouldn't be driving. If smartphone screens are too small get him an LTE enabled tablet. Or just tell him to call you whenever he needs to get somewhere and you can do it for him.

Hah, I couldn't do it for him. I've never in my life used uber and lyft and don't plan to, partly out of principle because I think their business model is poo poo and partly because I think they're stupid.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

E: I'd love a shuttle that takes me to all the important places like the grocery store, liquor store, titty bar, take my keys I don't want em

Double edit: buy him a Smart Fortwo and install big foam bumpers around the whole thing. They're surprisingly safe and he'll just bounce harmlessly off other cars/buildings/larger pedestrians.

Tell him it was made by Joseph Smart, an American entrepreneur tired of all the small cars coming from Japan. He doesn't use the internet, he'll never know.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 7, 2019

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Anyway, back to the thread topic...

I'm looking for an SUV that gets good gas mileage (30-40mpg ideally). My family consists of 2 adults and 2 65lb dogs, with potentially some kids in the near future.

My budget is $25-35k. My priorities are cargo space, safety, gas mileage, and reliability. I would like to drive this next vehicle for 5-10yrs hopefully.

So far I have only done internet shopping. I plan to go see these in person and test drive this weekend. Some options I have explored on the internet thus far:
Ford Escape: How do they still sell a vehicle that completely fails the small overlap passenger side test in 2019? I would prefer my passengers to not die.
Nissan Rogue: The Chrysler of Japan must be avoided.
Toyota Rav4: Safe, good gas mileage. 2019 redesign looks sharp IMO. Pre-2019 is ugly IMO, so used option is off the table for this one.
Toyota Rav4 Hybrid: Best gas mileage by far, but you pay for it. Used option off the table due to pre-2019 model being ugly.
Honda CRV: Safe, good gas mileage (for a non-hybrid). Not a fan of the styling, but I will go sit in it and try it out.
Mazda CX-5: Safe, slightly worse gas mileage than Rav4/CRV, but apparently more fun to drive? Looks good. Will test drive and try it out.
Lexus NX 300h: Basically a Rav4 but fancy? Could be a good used option?

Is there anything I am missing? Right now I am leaning towards a new Rav4 Hybrid or a used Lexus NX300h. These models get the best gas mileage, which I think will pay off in the long run (5-10yrs). Are there any other good hybrid options out there (new or used?) that have good safety ratings?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Anyway, back to the thread topic...

I'm looking for an SUV that gets good gas mileage (30-40mpg ideally). My family consists of 2 adults and 2 65lb dogs, with potentially some kids in the near future.

My budget is $25-35k. My priorities are cargo space, safety, gas mileage, and reliability. I would like to drive this next vehicle for 5-10yrs hopefully.

*snip*

Is there anything I am missing? Right now I am leaning towards a new Rav4 Hybrid or a used Lexus NX300h. These models get the best gas mileage, which I think will pay off in the long run (5-10yrs). Are there any other good hybrid options out there (new or used?) that have good safety ratings?

A Subaru Forester or Outback might be worth test driving too. I'm not super familiar with them though, so I'm not sure how competitive they are compared to your other options.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

plester1 posted:

A Subaru Forester or Outback might be worth test driving too. I'm not super familiar with them though, so I'm not sure how competitive they are compared to your other options.

Foresters and Outbacks are very safe but not very good on gas or particularly reliable. The layout in them provides adequate but not great storage, then again two 65lb dogs eat up a lot of space regardless how big the car is.

I have a Forester and enjoy it, but am well aware it's shortcomings as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am suspicious that with your scale of dogs and kids and whatnot that you are going to need a bigger vehicle!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am suspicious that with your scale of dogs and kids and whatnot that you are going to need a bigger vehicle!

This is very true. If he adds a kid to the equation the storage needs will exponentially increase during travel. It is amazing how much crap a small child requires. Then suddenly you don't have room for everything + dogs.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

You all make some good points! I have considered some of these points, so here's my thinking. Please tell me if this is stupid, as I've never needed this much vehicular room before so maybe you guys have lived this and know better than me!

So my wife has a sedan on lease for another 1.5yrs, at which point we'll have another decision to make. The plan is for her to stay at home once the kids arrive, which means she won't have a commute (other than Doing Things around town). So, the question comes down to what 2 vehicles do we need:

1) Smaller-ish vehicle for me (which we would buy now). This would be for my 10mile work commute, trips where we don't need all 3 of kids/dogs/gear. Example use cases would be going to the dog park or beach (kids in the 2nd row, dogs in the trunk?? I know people do this with SUVs, but I don't know if they will fit?)
2) Larger vehicle for the wife (which we'll get in 1.5yrs when her lease is up). This vehicle would be able to fit kids+dogs+gear. I'm thinking a 3-row SUV like a Highlander would be good, or maybe larger? Use cases would be when the entire family needs to be in the vehicle.

So I was thinking vehicle #1 could be the Rav4 Hybrid (or similar), and #2 could be like a Highlander (or larger if it turns out the Rav4 is waaaay too small?). Alternatively, we could go for a middle-ground option for vehicle #1 (the step up from the Rav4 is the Highlander I think, which we could get used in the $35k range), and if that turns out to be big enough as a family vehicle, we could get another high-mpg sedan in 1.5yrs.

What do you guys think?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Vehicle #2 is a minivan. Accept it.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Uthor posted:

Not gonna argue this point! However that doesn’t really help me with the decision currently at hand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

You monster.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wagon wagon wagon wagon

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/772375211/overview/

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Interesting! I’ll see what the wife thinks about it. It’s cheaper than the other options, but no hybrid option it seems.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Looking for a seven seater and I’d be in a pacifica hybrid (so much delicious cargo room) if I hadn’t had to push one in like 2” of snow up a mild incline or if it could tow anything.

Upcoming Highlander hybrid’s mileage looks fantastic but getting even smaller.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Interesting! I’ll see what the wife thinks about it. It’s cheaper than the other options, but no hybrid option it seems.

You can afford a new one on your budget, if you want.

Or go a little more luxe: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/770930727/overview/

It's not a hybrid either, but 36MPG highway is pretty darn good for its size.

Edit:
If you're willing to go to the top of your budget, you can get an Audi Allroad, too: https://www.cars.com/shopping/audi-allroad-2016/

Double Edit:
I changed my mind. Screw economy and get an E-Class wagon. Only 1MPG less than the Audi and look at it https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/774945245/overview/ :allears:

Also 300HP. Don't tell the wife.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 8, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You need to give up on your dreams of gas mileage and get a non mini van

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

shovelbum posted:

You need to give up on your dreams of gas mileage and get a non mini van

A wagon is shorter, and thus easier for dogs to climb into. :colbert:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Oh my god the e class wagon is amazing. Definitely going to search for one in my area. Really glad I asked you guys, you’re opening my options a ton, thank you!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Oh my god the e class wagon is amazing. Definitely going to search for one in my area. Really glad I asked you guys, you’re opening my options a ton, thank you!

Hold up there, Cowboy. I jerk off to fast wagons as much as the next guy, but I do want to point out one minor fly in the ointment of used luxury cars. Part of the depreciation is because nobody is lining up to buy a station wagon any more, but a big part of it is maintenance costs. Make sure you factor those into it. 10 cents per mile is probably a good estimate ($1,200/year if you drive a normal amount). This is probably on the high side - the majority of them will probably be far less than that. But there's always the chance of buying a piece of poo poo basket case and consumables (brakes, tires, fluid, etc.) are going to be more expensive than a regular car.

Ask me about my Aston Martin :suicide:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 8, 2019

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Proposed Budget: $9,000: like $4,000 down, $5,000 financed over two years because I am terrified of buying a lemon that explodes and I'm still paying for forever, I'm looking at next spring after I get my tax refund
New or Used: used
Body Style: 2-door aka bachelor commuter car
How will you be using the car?: short commute to current work, all my shopping is within 2 miles, I'd like to have something I could rely on if I needed to commute further (15-30 miles in traffic) in a couple years so I likely won't be killed by an angry mob for shutting down a lane of the major bridge across Tampa Bay during morning or evening rush hour

I know we're past that stage where you could buy a low-mileage 2000 Chevy Cavalier for $4K, which is what I'm driving.

Am I the "buy a used Prius" market? If so, how do I find one that hasn't been abused to hell?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

skaboomizzy posted:

Proposed Budget: $9,000: like $4,000 down, $5,000 financed over two years because I am terrified of buying a lemon that explodes and I'm still paying for forever, I'm looking at next spring after I get my tax refund
New or Used: used
Body Style: 2-door aka bachelor commuter car
How will you be using the car?: short commute to current work, all my shopping is within 2 miles, I'd like to have something I could rely on if I needed to commute further (15-30 miles in traffic) in a couple years so I likely won't be killed by an angry mob for shutting down a lane of the major bridge across Tampa Bay during morning or evening rush hour

I know we're past that stage where you could buy a low-mileage 2000 Chevy Cavalier for $4K, which is what I'm driving.

Am I the "buy a used Prius" market? If so, how do I find one that hasn't been abused to hell?

Miata? For $9K you can get a lot of Miata.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

Hold up there, Cowboy. I jerk off to fast wagons as much as the next guy, but I do want to point out one minor fly in the ointment of used luxury cars. Part of the depreciation is because nobody is lining up to buy a station wagon any more, but a big part of it is maintenance costs. Make sure you factor those into it. 10 cents per mile is probably a good estimate ($1,200/year if you drive a normal amount). This is probably on the high side - the majority of them will probably be far less than that. But there's always the chance of buying a piece of poo poo basket case and consumables (brakes, tires, fluid, etc.) are going to be more expensive than a regular car.

How are you having problems with the Aston Martin already you bought it two weeks ago

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

zapplez posted:

How are you having problems with the Aston Martin already you bought it two weeks ago

Because it's an Aston?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

It's been the the shop for more than a month at this point. With multiple issues that haven't been diagnosed yet. They had to ship it off to Cleveland.

It's under warranty, but goodamn.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Cleveland's factory of sadness makes Aston Martins?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's the closest Aston dealer that had an opening before July.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

KillHour posted:

How does the Volvo V60 stack up with reliability? It looks like the 2018s are super cheap because there was a redesign for 2019. I know they’re super safe, but I’m concerned about maintenance (just like the Mercedes). The RAV4 is currently my favorite but at $35k is a lot more than the $20k Volvo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

How does the Volvo V60 stack up with reliability? It looks like the 2018s are super cheap because there was a redesign for 2019. I know they’re super safe, but I’m concerned about maintenance (just like the Mercedes). The RAV4 is currently my favorite but at $35k is a lot more than the $20k Volvo.

That's a great question to ask in AI. I'd honestly be less worried about reliability and more worried about parts and service cost. Mercs aren't expensive to maintain because they're unreliable per-sey, they're expensive because parts cost more and services take more time.

That being said I'm not trying to talk you out of the Merc or anything else. I just want to make sure you're not putting yourself in the position where your car payments mean you can't afford to maintain it. If you're comfortable with the costs, a used luxury car can absolutely be worth it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 8, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chupacabraTERROR posted:

From everything I've read current model Volvos are near the worst of non-boutique manufactures in both reliability but also parts costs and availability. They just don't have the market share you need to have a well supported and easy to maintain car. The equivalent Benz/BMW/Audi model will almost always end up saving you money long term in cheaper ongoing costs as well as higher resale value.

KillHour posted:

It's been the the shop for more than a month at this point. With multiple issues that haven't been diagnosed yet. They had to ship it off to Cleveland.

It's under warranty, but goodamn.

We told you not to buy that Ford haha.

At least its not your DD.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

10 cents per mile is probably a good estimate ($1,200/year if you drive a normal amount). This is probably on the high side - the majority of them will probably be far less than that.

I think this is a realistic number and not on the high side, especially if you're driving a used car. In like a couple years of driving I've had to do $2k+ of maintenance-related repairs, just in the middle between the fine lines of fragile parts and wear items. For example both front wheel bearings (failing relatively early around 75k mi), both outer CV boots splitting, and upper control arm bushings on my very vanilla german luxo. :(

Granted I live in a city and the roads are pretty bad, probably factored into those early failures.

KillHour posted:

It's the closest Aston dealer that had an opening before July.

Who's your warranty company / servicer? They're paying for that shipping? That's impressive. The warranty I got quoted for my economy luxocar was like $6k or 7k and it would never have been worth it, but it sounds like you made the right call.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 8, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

Who's your warranty company / servicer? They're paying for that shipping? That's impressive. The warranty I got quoted for my economy luxocar was like $6k or 7k and it would never have been worth it, but it sounds like you made the right call.

It's still I under the original AM warranty - car is basically new. The dealership I bought it from is paying the shipping to AM because it happened weeks after I bought it.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

It's still I under the original AM warranty - car is basically new. The dealership I bought it from is paying the shipping to AM because it happened weeks after I bought it.

Ah that is still impressive. I know in the Yelp era we live in (franchise) dealers will be a little more careful about screwing people than before, but it doesn't sound like they had any contractual obligation to pay for shipping. I assume you bought the car as-is from them. So that's nice.

You should post a writeup in AI at some point if you're up to it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

Ah that is still impressive. I know in the Yelp era we live in (franchise) dealers will be a little more careful about screwing people than before, but it doesn't sound like they had any contractual obligation to pay for shipping. I assume you bought the car as-is from them. So that's nice.

You should post a writeup in AI at some point if you're up to it.

They know better than to dick someone over who

A: Bought a car they were sitting on for over a year and were taking a huge hit on
B: Spent 6 figures on said car
C: Buys cars semi-regularly and told them he has a lease coming up next year
D: They promised the car was in perfect mechanical condition and had been inspected several times by multiple people
E: Pointed out after they sold it to him that they sold it with mismatched tires - not a good look for a luxury dealership.

My business is worth more than the $1000 it's going to cost to ship the car and they know it.

I've been keeping people generally updated in the AI chat thread. Not that there's much to update. I could start a thread about my cars, but they're all pretty new so the most "work" I do on them is changing the wheels out for winters. It would be a very boring thread.

Edit: It occurs to me that this post makes me sound like a huge humblebragging prick. I'm not a millionaire or anything, I just spend all my money on cars :downs:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 9, 2019

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

A: Bought a car they were sitting on for over a year and were taking a huge hit on
D: They promised the car was in perfect mechanical condition and had been inspected several times by multiple people
E: Pointed out after they sold it to him that they sold it with mismatched tires - not a good look for a luxury dealership.

My business is worth more than the $1000 it's going to cost to ship the car and they know it.

I've been keeping people generally updated in the AI chat thread. Not that there's much to update. I could start a thread about my cars, but they're all pretty new so the most "work" I do on them is changing the wheels out for winters. It would be a very boring thread.

Edit: It occurs to me that this post makes me sound like a huge humblebragging prick. I'm not a millionaire or anything, I just spend all my money on cars :downs:

Sorry I don't remember but did you get a PPI?

e: drat I post a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

KillHour posted:

cool