Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Dr Tasty posted:

How exactly do you build for AOE damage as a melee person - scrapper, brute, tanker, or otherwise? Is that a thing? I've gone with a few groups and am not really sure how this all works. The mobs seem to melt as I struggle to ready up a power to hit a single target. I get how it works wtih blasters and controllers, but not scrappers. I am having trouble sticking with a character, because I don't really understand how all of these power sets and power combinations work at a higher level and want to try out everything. I don't exactly have a lot of free time, so I don't feel great about committing to something until I know more about it. Is there somewhere that has a breakdown of all the power sets and how they play/feel?

If you want heavy AoE on a melee character, Spines and Claws are both great for it. Most standard sets will have one good AoE attack (usually a point-blank AoE), but those sets in particular have multiple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Titan weapons also has slightly extra range on its attacks, including its aoe’s, compared to other power sets, if I’m not mistaken.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

HPanda posted:

Titan weapons also has slightly extra range on its attacks, including its aoe’s, compared to other power sets, if I’m not mistaken.

I haven't been able to get a Titan character leveled up yet. In team content I'm always left behind because momentum expires so quickly.

Maybe some goons would let me leech up to 20...

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I haven't been able to get a Titan character leveled up yet. In team content I'm always left behind because momentum expires so quickly.

Maybe some goons would let me leech up to 20...

I haven’t done any group content with mine yet, but it’s just so satisfying on solo content. I get a smile on my face when multiple enemy groups are bunched together and think surrounding me is a solid strategy.

Wish I could change the damage type to lethal, though. I’m swinging around a giant fuckoff axe. I should at least have a lethal component.

This set does make me think that a great theme duo would be a monster hunter and Palico. Could probably get pretty close to a Val Hazak set costume and go TW/WP scrapper and a tiny kitty-costumed...traps/fire defender maybe? Traps/Arrows? Probably super leaping on both.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Am I doing this right? The eyes are complete googly eyes that wander which is amazing.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Also have to say, that's a really awesome costume for Secret of Space. What powersets?

Fire/Dark. The Soul Noir option for Dark blast sets looks kind of like the black hole picture if you make it black and orange.

I'd chosen Fire on the wrong assumption about how -perception works on enemies, which turns out to be 'not at all once they're aggroed' but for a minute was hopeful that just Smoke + AoE roots would completely shut down a pack to freely blast at range.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
In base building, is it possible to fully remove the ceiling and what do the Skies FXs do (doesn't appear to be anything)

Trying to make an outdoor garden.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

World Famous W posted:

In base building, is it possible to fully remove the ceiling and what do the Skies FXs do (doesn't appear to be anything)

afaik you have to set the "high ceiling" texture to open sky, and then actually make the ceilings be high

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

World Famous W posted:

The highest ceilings have an option for Open Sky, yeah. The FX options are either placeable items to change the skybox for the area it encompasses (with the big green box), or the ones on the Option button to set it for the entire base map.

If you enable room clipping, you can also just use the open sky option to fly above the room and start building things above or below the room. For that, I'd recommend floating something really big, like the largest tile surface, and using that as your foundation to build off of.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Merilan posted:

If you want heavy AoE on a melee character, Spines and Claws are both great for it. Most standard sets will have one good AoE attack (usually a point-blank AoE), but those sets in particular have multiple.

Spines comes with the stipulation it stops dead once a boss or higher shows up. I honestly don't get the spines/x love.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Spines comes with the stipulation it stops dead once a boss or higher shows up. I honestly don't get the spines/x love.

i honestly get endless enjoyment high-jumping after activating Ripper to do super long somersaults to notice my dps is low on a boss as spines

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Tommy 2.0 posted:

It's real good at that there farming and can do it on its own 2-50.

Claws is alright with it too, but it doesn't have that second damage aura.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I gotta good spines name but dunno what a good, low-maintenance non-fire secondary would be to pair with the powerset that isn’t just willpower again

Edit: DUH I’ll finally try bio armor

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 7, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dr Tasty posted:

How exactly do you build for AOE damage as a melee person - scrapper, brute, tanker, or otherwise? Is that a thing? I've gone with a few groups and am not really sure how this all works. The mobs seem to melt as I struggle to ready up a power to hit a single target. I get how it works wtih blasters and controllers, but not scrappers. I am having trouble sticking with a character, because I don't really understand how all of these power sets and power combinations work at a higher level and want to try out everything. I don't exactly have a lot of free time, so I don't feel great about committing to something until I know more about it. Is there somewhere that has a breakdown of all the power sets and how they play/feel?

Titan has such awesome AoEs that you can totally skip the single target attacks if you want (although I would recommend taking one or two unless your build is very tight).

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I think some of these mission door locations are busted. Just took on a mission to rob a bank in Cap Au Diable while the Luddites attacked power lines nearby. So I entered the mission by going to...Port Oakes. A small, out of the way motel in Port Oakes. And inside that motel was the famous Cap Au Diable bank, complete with gremlins who emerge from Cap Au Diable's powerlines.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

HPanda posted:

I think some of these mission door locations are busted. Just took on a mission to rob a bank in Cap Au Diable while the Luddites attacked power lines nearby. So I entered the mission by going to...Port Oakes. A small, out of the way motel in Port Oakes. And inside that motel was the famous Cap Au Diable bank, complete with gremlins who emerge from Cap Au Diable's powerlines.

The real evil behind everything in Paragon City and the Rogue Isles is the passageway connecting doors to mission instances

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Rad/ has a damage aura, an AoE, and a mechanic where the single target attacks can generate explosions.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HPanda posted:

Wish I could change the damage type to lethal, though. I’m swinging around a giant fuckoff axe. I should at least have a lethal component.

It's not obvious but a few of the attacks do have a lethal component.

You wouldn't really want to switch over to all lethal damage anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Disregard this very wrong post

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 7, 2019

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Harrow posted:

It's entirely about farming specific AE missions. Spines/Fire is really efficient at farming those missions, so that's what often gets suggested for a farming character. SS/Fire isn't quite as good at farming those AE missions but might actually be useful outside of them too.

Which is why we oft suggest Rad/Fire as something that has great AOE and can still be used outside of AE farming. Tommy is basically the last person here who needs to be educated on farming, and also the most depressed (or angry) over SS, which is now a set you wouldn't farm with anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

Which is why we oft suggest Rad/Fire as something that has great AOE and can still be used outside of AE farming. Tommy is basically the last person here who needs to be educated on farming, and also the most depressed (or angry) over SS, which is now a set you wouldn't farm with anyway.

Well I have made a very bad post then, it would seem.

Also starting to wish I'd gone Rad/Fire for my own farming dude now.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Harrow posted:

Well I have made a very bad post then, it would seem.

Also starting to wish I'd gone Rad/Fire for my own farming dude now.

I think most people just aren't aware of the nerf made to rage which is that you can't avoid the def debuff by double stacking it. Here's my Rage hot take: it's plenty usable on a team with support still but they ruined it for soloing.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 7, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Slotting extra knockback into my SS Tanker was a great move that makes me feel like a badass. Plus knocking dudes into the ceiling where they're just hanging by their heads is extra hilarity.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tsurupettan posted:

I think most people just aren't aware of the nerf made to rage which is that you can't avoid the def debuff by double stacking it. Here's my Rage hot take: it's plenty usable on a team with support still but they ruined it for soloing.
Why would anyone nerf cool super powers in the dream project fan servers except for "MY VISION!" reasons, or was it just baked into the unreleased before they shut down changes?

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
I think it's because the rage change was a bugfix technically, but at this point avoiding the Def crash was a feature.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

blueberrysmith posted:

Am I doing this right? The eyes are complete googly eyes that wander which is amazing.

This is a good post because it reminded/informed me that there was a cel-shading option.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I've been trying to find a character concept for the floating lanterns back option for ages now.

quote:

A cracked tank, still filled with Dr. Vahzilok's embalming fluid. A flat tractor tire, adorned with dulled spikes in a poor attempt at turning it into a makeshift pauldron. An old track jacket, haphazardly stitched and belted together. A single robotic arm, ripped straight off whatever cyborg menace was threatening Paragon City that day. A chrome gauntlet ending in a hook, perhaps a gaudy corsair's missing prosthetic. A medieval knight's fauld and its only remaining tasset. A tech hero's sleek, armored bodysuit, ruined by a clearly fatal blast that vaporized everything from the waist up. A pair of mechanical legs, likely belonging to an obsolete construction bot. Seven broken lanterns, once part of a set of lampposts, until super-powered activity destroyed public property.

At different points in time, these items were completely unrelated; but as they were discarded one after another in Paragon City's Junkyard, they were bound to become the building blocks for an avatar of justice: The Junkyard Golem!

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 7, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I love it, that's a great concept.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Slotting extra knockback into my SS Tanker was a great move that makes me feel like a badass. Plus knocking dudes into the ceiling where they're just hanging by their heads is extra hilarity.

the janky ragdoll effects are one of my favorite features of this game and not just because it’s exploitable in gameplay

“Mission Complete!” *tune plays as archvillain’s head spins like it’s possessed*

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

UHD posted:

the janky ragdoll effects are one of my favorite features of this game and not just because it’s exploitable in gameplay

“Mission Complete!” *tune plays as archvillain’s head spins like it’s possessed*

It's a well known fact that over exposure to psychic power (or literally any kind of power) will cause your spine to disintegrate.

Unless you're a player character then you just fall down.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I wish indomitable will wasn't on such a long CD for controllers. Getting CC'D all the drat time with certain groups is annoying as gently caress (carnies and nemesis :argh:).

Although I find it funny when you get CC'd while moving with hover. You just keep drifting slowly and I've had a few times where I'll just helplessly drift into another pack and get vaporized. That makes me laugh instead of pissing me off for some reason. It's like watching a slow-motion train wreck. But otherwise I feel like CC lasts way too long even with set bonus protection from IOS and is super annoying more than anything.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sophism posted:

I've been trying to find a character concept for the floating lanterns back option for ages now.

This rules. Good job.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sophism posted:

Welcome to the Golem Club! You're Member #2!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I cant stop making stupid gimmick characters

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one

Sophism posted:

How did you do the asymetrical pieces like the pauldron?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dr Tasty posted:

How did you do the asymetrical pieces like the pauldron?

Some specific costume parts have secondary options that let you choose to show or hide components of the part. This is usually the case if the part has multiple drop downs and the second one doesn't just say "No selections available".

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

blueberrysmith posted:

Yeah you're doing great

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ohhhh you could do headless with a fire head aura and make some kinda candle man.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Inzombiac posted:

Ohhhh you could do headless with a fire head aura and make some kinda candle man.

Name him Lumière.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Inzombiac posted:

That sounds awesome but John Wick is probably taken by now.