Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think I posted about this before, but the general appropriate use of 'power levels' really floors me about this series. In that they don't really start individually kicking butt for a good handful of volumes - in most of the initial scenarios, it's 'luck' that keeps them alive and winning.

With Big Mom and this Kaido business, Oda's been doing a great job showing that our heroes actually do need a whole country army to be winning these battles. No one fights and beats Big Ma in the Cake Arc, they just individually do kickass things that sums up to them escaping alive.

Seems to be the case with this arc too, and I'm just really delighted by that. Too often writers shortcut the big bad fights big hero and loses because hero is just too strong, every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/945/page/1

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Is that the end of Queen? lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ahahahahaha yessssss i loving love one piece

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
that fuckin chap, what a time for a break week

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RIP in pieces, Queen. You were a fun character.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The World Inferno posted:

I think I posted about this before, but the general appropriate use of 'power levels' really floors me about this series. In that they don't really start individually kicking butt for a good handful of volumes - in most of the initial scenarios, it's 'luck' that keeps them alive and winning.

With Big Mom and this Kaido business, Oda's been doing a great job showing that our heroes actually do need a whole country army to be winning these battles. No one fights and beats Big Ma in the Cake Arc, they just individually do kickass things that sums up to them escaping alive.

Seems to be the case with this arc too, and I'm just really delighted by that. Too often writers shortcut the big bad fights big hero and loses because hero is just too strong, every time.
That's the best part of the Impel Down / Marineford Arc in my opinion. So many people returning and keeping pace with modern threats and it feels believable because often the battles come down to exploiting a weakness or some clever technique or even just barely outlasting the opponent.

In many (most?) other series', victory usually comes alongside a power up that flattens the villain so the next villain has to be substantially stronger which completely invalidates previous villains. Unless they join the good guys' side, then they can keep pace a bit. But in One Piece, people are clamoring for Gin to make a come back and after his showing in Baratie I would not bat an eye if he came in out of nowhere and hosed up Hawkins or something.

EDIT: Added the quoted post because I forgot other posts may have dropped between my writing that and posting it. See y'all back for the chap on Monday.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
MS just did 2 translation blogs that are really interesting

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do winder if we're building up to Chopper figuring out a way to treat Big Mom's eating disorder.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Sanji getting owned and a new dinosaur DF. Blessed chapter

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
Crazy fuckin' chapter. Random crowd mook confirming that underestimating Big Mom will get you wrecked. Further cements the "no seriously, how the gently caress are they going to beat Kaido" aspect of this arc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Demonicpoodle posted:

Crazy fuckin' chapter. Random crowd mook confirming that underestimating Big Mom will get you wrecked. Further cements the "no seriously, how the gently caress are they going to beat Kaido" aspect of this arc.

with big mom's help of course

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Queen's dino form is rad. Is a brachiosaurus a strictly better version of the giraffe DF?

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

Queen's dino form is rad. Is a brachiosaurus a strictly better version of the giraffe DF?

As it's an ancient and apparently Buff As Heck, I'd assume so.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

buff rear end neck

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

JahRoo posted:

buff rear end neck

Noice.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brachiosaurs can cast Meteor and Ultima. They're not weak

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Sub Harrison posted:

Don't underestimate the limitless destructive power of the giraffe. :colbert:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Nessus posted:

Brachiosaurs can cast Meteor and Ultima. They're not weak

if you killed them before they cast ultima you were fine. they wouldnt cast meteor until then. the exp they gave was worth fighting them at lvl 30(best rpg ever)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Cigar mustache brachiosaur looks great! Give that guy a cover story!

Also is that a thick rob lucci on the stampede splash page? Is he in an upcoming movie?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

No Wave posted:

Cigar mustache brachiosaur looks great! Give that guy a cover story!

Also is that a thick rob lucci on the stampede splash page? Is he in an upcoming movie?

The upcoming movie is One Piece Stampede.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This trend of Kaido's henchmen getting chumped is just wonderful. First Jack thwacked by a giant elephant, now Queen pancaked by a Big Ma... who's gonna splat King?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

JahRoo posted:

buff rear end neck
Queen having no neck in human form and a buff rear end neck in his Zoan form is such an Oda thing to do

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Glad to see even innocent mom will absolutely chump a dude without stopping to think if they get in between her and food

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Am I the only one who read her calling him "Master Queen" as her memory returning as her rage increased?

Actually, he's referenced as Master Queen out loud by some mook, so perhaps she just copied that name.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
When does she do that? I’m reading the name in the last panel as being yelled out by underlings in horror

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Real Cool Catfish posted:

When does she do that? I’m reading the name in the last panel as being yelled out by underlings in horror

And that's where my dumb rear end is getting confused! Ugh, my bad.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Cmon, this arc is legitimately TOO good. That art was absolutely phenomenal, the panel of Big Mom arriving was top tier

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This arc is just insane. I love it so much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The World Inferno posted:

This trend of Kaido's henchmen getting chumped is just wonderful. First Jack thwacked by a giant elephant, now Queen pancaked by a Big Ma... who's gonna splat King?

That much mind seems to be that they keep picking fights with things an order of magnitude above their already super-high threat level. I'm guessing anyone who survives long enough to be a major henchman of Kaido considers themselves to be basically invincible, probably not without reason.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
drat, Kyoshiro is holding his own against Zoro! Of course, Zoro’s fairly injured, but still. Hahaha NINJA ART: GUN. Oh poo poo, we get to see what Law’s up to! I had kinda forgotten about him. gently caress, Hawkins is a goddamn monster. I forget how he “takes” the lives of others, I assume he needs to take a hair or something. I hope none of the strawhats get kidnapped… lmao at Sanji loving zeroing in on a lady getting attacked. AND ZORO SAVED HER. AND HERE COMES BIG MOOOOOOOM!!! Oh hey, even she gets a Wano redesign! AND ANOTHER DINOSAUR DEVIL FRUIT USER HELL YES! TIME TO FUCKIN RUMBLE

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder if this whole thing is still being broadcast to all of Wano. I could see Zoro getting a last second power up when the sword stealer shows up because he finds Zoro worthy due to his actions. I love that Zoro has exactly two power ups; using his third sword and wearing his bandana.

Actually what happened to the sword Luffy was carrying around to look cool?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The tengu is going to be pissed when Luffy tells him he got tired of it and chunked it

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Man Kaido’s crew sucks rear end

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

No really, when are we getting the T-Rex fruit reveal? Someone's gotta have it, I bet Kaido has a last resort All-Star stashed away for emergency scenarios, kinda like how Orochimaru wheeled out the bone dude ninja when his four horsemen weren't cutting the mustard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sanji and Zoro strike me as the type who'd be best friends if not that they'd invested so much in being rivals that they'd feel disrespectful to each other and themselves not to keep it up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Parrotine posted:

No really, when are we getting the T-Rex fruit reveal? Someone's gotta have it, I bet Kaido has a last resort All-Star stashed away for emergency scenarios, kinda like how Orochimaru wheeled out the bone dude ninja when his four horsemen weren't cutting the mustard

Maybe Kaidou himself has it. He managed to escape every other form of death.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
And on that day the rivalry between Zoro and Sanji just got a million times worse.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I can't believe Queen is loving dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Mama... Just killed a man Put a hand around his head Slam it down and now he's dead.

Mama.. Fight has just began but now the oshirukos are gone and he ate it all away.

Mama oh ohhh. Ahhgg ahhh spit blood*

I did not think up the comments above for this chapter but I do endorse them.