Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Godzilla07 posted:

The non-TB 13" was the best option when the only advantage the 13” TB MBP had was Touch ID. Today the lack of updates have created a significant performance gap between the non-TB and TB MBPs, and the Air has Touch ID, better battery life, and an improved keyboard.

The Mac Air CPU stinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

The Mac Air CPU stinks

It’s fine for basic uses. I just won’t get one because of the keyboard.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm interested in replacing my Apple Cinema Display 27" with a 4k monitor that I'll be using for a wide variety of purposes (gaming, graphic design, whatever is orthogonal to both those). It needs to have the ability for hdmi in.

Would the Viewsonic VX3211-4k-mhd be a good option?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Waiting for a fanless Mac they can weld shut

iPad Pro thread is thataway ~>

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The iPad Pro is the best portable computer Apple makes today.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's a computer?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wdarkk posted:

I'm interested in replacing my Apple Cinema Display 27" with a 4k monitor that I'll be using for a wide variety of purposes (gaming, graphic design, whatever is orthogonal to both those). It needs to have the ability for hdmi in.

Would the Viewsonic VX3211-4k-mhd be a good option?

Yes - run it at native, what adapter are you using

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gyshall posted:

Just started a new job and I'm using a MacBook pro 2017 model.

Any recommendations on how I can reduce the amount of dongles? I need two monitors (HDMI or displayport) and Ethernet.

Bonus points if it's portable as I'll be traveling often.

Just a quick search for Anker dongles on Amazon. You'd need 2 of these to fulfill all of your needs, unless perhaps you can find a dongle that's 2x HDMI and 1x ethernet.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Premiu...X9EWVXLJ&sr=8-3

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I was going to grab a 2015 13 inch... but looking at swappa prices it’s actually cheaper to get a 2014 15 inch with 16 gigs of ram. Any reason not to grab one that’s in good used condition?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The battery is probably shot

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The battery is probably shot

400 cycles, and I’m happy paying the $200 for Apple to replace it (and get a new keyboard and trackpad out of the deal too)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LionArcher posted:

I was going to grab a 2015 13 inch... but looking at swappa prices it’s actually cheaper to get a 2014 15 inch with 16 gigs of ram. Any reason not to grab one that’s in good used condition?

I prefer the force touch on the 2015 but no big dea

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

FCKGW posted:

The iPad Pro is the best portable computer Apple makes today.

:agreed:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bob Morales posted:

Yes - run it at native, what adapter are you using

No adapter right now because my 2010 pro’s 1060 has DisplayPort out. In the future IDK.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Just started a new job and I'm using a MacBook pro 2017 model.

Any recommendations on how I can reduce the amount of dongles? I need two monitors (HDMI or displayport) and Ethernet.

Bonus points if it's portable as I'll be traveling often.

Hadlock posted:

That reminds me, here is my final home office setup. I've been meaning to post this forever. I live in a moderately small 1 bedroom in a major urban area and work from home probably 2 full days a week + 9am-noon three days a week, so it's important to have a good work area.

The other main requirement was that it blend nicely with my fiance's decor as my home office is one corner of our cramped apartment livingroom.

I have bought all-in on USB-C. My phone, tablet, work and personal laptops, nintendo switch, noise cancelling headphones are all USB-C now so the only things that still use micro-usb are a couple of "usb battery-banks".

Click to embiggen

Overall setup. Work laptop is macbook pro, sitting on some sort of mango wood desk, the monitor is a 1440p dell with a nifty arm that keeps all the wires off the table. The laptop is plugged in to a $70, 6-foot, 100w "active" Thunderbolt 3 cable, that plugs in to a TB3 dock (see cabinet photos). Also there's a standard wireless logitech mouse, the usb mouse dongle lives attached to the TB3 dock. There's just ONE cable that goes from the laptop, off the desk. there's a cable that goes from the monitor to the TB3 dock, and then a power cable for the monitor (which comes up the arm, so never gets on the desk to add clutter) and the last cable, I had to check, is a USB 3.0 A->B cable, as the monitor has a 4 port powered USB 3 hub. The monitor was medium in price, it's the 2017 dell ultrasharp, non-4K edition, and then the arm was a new design for dell (vast improvement over the old version that's been around for 10+ years).

Closeup shot. I am not really sold on this lamp but when we moved in this corner was super dark and this met Her approval. The chair is some ikea thing, I mostly hate it but is serviceable and does not attract cat hair for some reason.

This is my Dell XPS 15 which I have a love/hate relationship with, it also has Thunderbolt 3, which means I can just plug it in with this single cable and all the crap that works with my work laptop, I now have access to with my personal laptop. Same monitor, mouse, NAS, UPS, network equipment, USB 3 hubs, etc etc. Litterally just plug and play. Also works with anyone elses' TB3 laptop.

That white blob on the left is a lead-weighted cable organizer, I use it to keep the TB3 cable from sliding off the table.

This is what I like to call the most expensive computer case on the planet. From the first picture, on the left there is that book case with the cabinet. I think this is like a $700 book case/cabinet. Top right is my beloved Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock, out of it comes a 7 port powered USB-C hub, attached to that is a 1TB USB-C ssd, i'm also trickle charging two USB battery banks, from there snakes a Cat 6 patch cable to

The middle shelf, which is a 1gb, 8 port unmanaged switch, and my beloved Yoga 10+ Pro tablet (USB-C charging, of course), that all feeds down to the bottom shelf,

Bottom shelf has an amazon branded UPS battery backup that the Thunderbolt 3 dock, network swtich, wireless router, and NAS are plugged in to, also has a USB out to the thunderbolt 3 dock so the laptop can shutdown automatically

Last photo, top shelf is a google wifi unit, it provides local wired internet to everything in the cabinet attached to the switch, also gives me wifi all the way to the elevator on my floor, it talks to the onhub in my bedroom where the cable internet tap is, so there's no goofy loving CAT-5 ethernet snaking around doors, under carpets or whatever. Google wifi figures it out for me, has been flawless so far

Bottom shelf is a Synology 4 bay NAS that's plugged in to the UPS and it has 6 TB mirrored backup whatever, two bays free for now, all backs up encrypted to amazon glacier for $6 a month.

All this poo poo is accessible via a single 6' cable that comes on to my desk. I am so loving happy. No cables getting tangled, no dust collecting around/between the 50 cables required to keep my laptop plugged in to all my poo poo, no dongle hell... it all lives off this one, single glorious Thunderbolt 3 cable. And yes I can (and do) game on it, even though the cable only provides 100W and the CPU + GPU can pull a max of 135W.

For my work mac I have a thunderbolt 3 dock from lenovo, it has a single 6' cable that runs from the mac into a cabinet where the dock lives. Also works with my PC, see above (from the laptop megathread)

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I’m going to grad school this summer, so I’m using this as an excuse to get a new laptop. Question for those of you with a MacBook Air: did you ever wish you had a 13” MBP instead? I won’t be doing anything intensive with my new laptop on a daily basis. There’s a small chance I’d use it for photo editing, but I already have an iMac for that and doubt I’ll have time to take many photos anyway. I guess I’m curious about long-term experience, stuff that goes beyond comparing stats side-by-side.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nobody knows about long term for the MBA because it was just updated October 2018. It has a good display now so it's a good machine overall but with a bad keyboard.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

As long as I get the brand new MBP, I’ll get the supposedly-fixed keyboard, correct?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's no fixed keyboard. There's merely varying levels of broken keyboards.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the MBA has the older keyboard than the just recently updated Macbook Pro. It does have the 4 year warranty to cover the keyboard though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bob Socko posted:

As long as I get the brand new MBP, I’ll get the supposedly-fixed keyboard, correct?

The 2018, not the 2019 one. I have the 2017 one on my 2016 MBP and it’s working perfectly after two years so I think the hype is overblown.

I also love typing on it and don’t understand the haters. The only downside is other keyboards feel like mushy bullshit now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's because it has very little key travel and feels like AIDS for my finger

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the MBA has the older keyboard than the just recently updated Macbook Pro. It does have the 4 year warranty to cover the keyboard though.

And they will replace it (if it has problems) with the new one

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

And they will replace it (if it has problems) with the new one

I think the MBA still gets the old replacement keyboard that doesn’t actually fix anything. There’s a new new keyboard that supposedly addresses the actual problem. That keyboard may not fit the MBA.

tuyop posted:

The 2018, not the 2019 one. I have the 2017 one on my 2016 MBP and it’s working perfectly after two years so I think the hype is overblown.

I also love typing on it and don’t understand the haters. The only downside is other keyboards feel like mushy bullshit now.

It’s a definite problem because enough people are having it, but yeah, it’s not like MBP keyboards are ticking time bombs that’ll all fail in a prescribed time frame. It’s a bad failure rate for Mac’s, but for Microsoft Surfaces it’s just another Thursday.

I love typing on mine too. My 2012 MBP feels like I’m typing on sand compared to it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tuyop posted:

My last three offices everyone had a Mac laptop and everyone with 2017 and newer have all had problems of varying levels. For me it was my left shift/command/alt/control and left side of the spacebar.

Yes you CAN get it repaired for free, the problem is that there's a three day turn around on keyboard replacement because the laptop is built as a single unit and it's not easy to do.

If you're a software developer it takes almost as long as the trade in period to get your dev environment setup and be productive again so you basically have to suffer with it until you get the flu or take a week of vacation.

Keyboard problem is definitely real, especially if you, like the name of the product says, use it professionally, and it goes in your bag everyday where it's liable to get crumbs in it, or you eat lunch over it every day. By comparison, my thinkpad has drain holes under the keyboard so that when you spill your coffee on the keyboard it just goes right though without doing any damage.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Escape Goat posted:

Thanks I had no idea and was close to buying one. This product lineup is a mess. Will try for 2018 Touch Bar refurb.

Be sure to keep a can of compressed air handy.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hadlock posted:

If you're a software developer it takes almost as long as the trade in period to get your dev environment setup and be productive again so you basically have to suffer with it until you get the flu or take a week of vacation.

Are you seriously telling me you’d take a laptop to be serviced without taking a full bootable clone of the drive first? And wiping it too of course.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Guys, we're this close to a clinical consensus that "crumbs" are not the cause of the keyboard problems.

Can't wait for another iteration of watching people on the train flicking through their iPhone killing all the suspended apps, "to save battery"

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Hey all,

I asked mods if it would be all right to share this. A few months ago some of the guys on the Ars Technica mac forum (and myself) started putting together a bi-weekly Apple/Mac podcast because we were tired of all the other ones out there. Aside from talking about the recent stuff, we have a specific topic for each episode where we go into detail on something like retro Apple, or topics of interest to power users. My cohost also does an every episode segment about HomeKit where he reviews stuff and talks about improving automated home setups. We just posted our big WWDC keynote special so I figured it would be a good time to see if goons would like it as well.

It's called the Icon Garden and the RSS is http://icongardenshow.libsyn.com/rss . There's also Overcast and Apple Podcasts and such.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 7, 2019

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Ok, so seriously now:

Going with a 2019 13” MBP over a 2018 MBA will get me a maybe-less-bad keyboard along with the advertised side-by-side performance specs?

I subscribed. So help me god, this better be good.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 7, 2019

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bob Socko posted:

Ok, so seriously now:

Going with a 2019 13” MBP over a 2018 MBA will get me a maybe-less-bad keyboard along with the advertised side-by-side performance specs?

Yes.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Thank you!

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think the MBA still gets the old replacement keyboard that doesn’t actually fix anything. There’s a new new keyboard that supposedly addresses the actual problem. That keyboard may not fit the MBA.

There might be an eventual “better” 3rd-gen keyboard for the MBA. The verge has a line that makes it sound like the air will eventually get it

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/21/18634247/macbook-butterfly-keyboard-problems-apple-repair-new-materials

quote:

Some current MacBook Pro 13-inch with Touch Bar and 15-inch customers that bring in their keyboards for repair will actually have their keyboards replaced with ones that have these new materials, Apple says. That will only happen for MacBooks that have the third-generation butterfly keyboard today: the 2018 models of the MacBook Pro and the new MacBook Air.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Socko posted:

Thank you!

If you can wait until November the Air might get an update (I’d say “should” but who knows anymore with the Air and rMB, and I expect that Apple’s probably comfortable keeping their lower end machines on a lazier upgrade cycle) before then.

If you go with the MBP make sure you’re getting the quad core model with the touchbar. The non-touchbar pro is from like 2017 and has a dual core CPU from back then and is waaaaay underpowered compared to the 2019 models.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Bob Socko posted:

I subscribed. So help me god, this better be good.

Thanks! We try to not be like other shows, so I hope you enjoy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I finally replaced my mid-2012 MBA with a 2017 version (i5, 1.8). It was $849 after a $150 "educational" discount, has double the ram and still has the normal keyboard, so I'm happy. Also if I want to get a 4k monitor it works with that. My old computer had a horrible battery (though I never really used it anyway), the touchpad was failing and was slow as poo poo.

speaking of:

https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Monitors/PB287Q/specifications/

when it says "3840x2160 at 60Hz (DisplayPort)" does that mean it's a DisplayPort device? that would mean apparently that I can connect it to my thunderbolt.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 8, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You can connect anything to a DisplayPort with the right adapter.

But yeah, a TB3 to DisplayPort will work.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mine is thunderbolt 2. I currently have a HDMI to thunderbolt 1 adapter. I'm just clarifying if that will allow me to get the stated resolution.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

HDMI might only get you 30hz at 4k, which is bad and very noticeable when moving the mouse pointer around. You will probably want a mini display port cable, which I believe is supported by the TB2 port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"3840x2160 at 30Hz (HDMI)"

Yeah looks like you want to avoid HDMI on that one. Most monitors today have HDMI 2.0 that does full 4k 60hz though.